• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Eye of the Phoenix

Soldier By Name

Expert door-kicker-downer
Reaction score
Re: The Eye of the Phoenix

I'm glad I could be useful. I really look forward to seeing this story finished. It really is the best fanfiction I've ever seen. If Microsoft gave a crap about getting books out there about something other then Halo, I'd recomend this as a good start to something in the fable realm. Seriously if you have any thoughts about writing something epic, let me know, I dabble in fanfiction, and I've written one book (but my older cousin threw it away when he moved) and I'm working on another.

D

Darg

Soldier By Name;143357 said:
I'm glad I could be useful. I really look forward to seeing this story finished. It really is the best fanfiction I've ever seen. If Microsoft gave a crap about getting books out there about something other then Halo, I'd recomend this as a good start to something in the fable realm. Seriously if you have any thoughts about writing something epic, let me know, I dabble in fanfiction, and I've written one book (but my older cousin threw it away when he moved) and I'm working on another.

Well, I'm glad you saved this thread from imminent death, man. It's good to be writing again and I expect to have a brand spankin' new chapter by next week. I'm not letting it get closed until it's done, and by the way, thanks for the support. :) Darg's back in business. Sort of.

Soldier By Name

Reaction score

Good to know.

I would've lost my mind if I hadn't the chance to see where Veros ended up. It really is an awesome story. Your writing is above and beyond.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Wouldn't worry about it getting closed Darg - I for one want to read the rest of it so it'll stay open until you're ready to finish with it :D

Soldier By Name

Reaction score

Aha, divine intervention. See Darg, you have more support than you knew. Well now I can rest assured that I'll get to see how this all turns out. We have a heavy hitter pulling to see the end, not just plain old me. My personal thanks to you Angel, it is very rare that I come across a story this good, and you've ensured that Darg has time to finish it. And Darg, keep up the good work my friend. You are indeed a teller of fine tales.

D

Darg

A fine teller of tales, eh? A good thing to be. Thank you one and all for your support and for getting my lazy *** back on track with this tale. In the aftermath of my obscenely long last chapter, this one is a bit shorter, but it's more of transitioning point to get me back into things. It's a brief kind of interlude giving you a bit of backstory or whatnot. Anywho, enjoy and expect more! :)

Chapter 25~ A Dark Truth

A light mist blanketed the frozen ground outside Ondro Citadel in late fall, and even in the darkening twilight, only one shape was completely clear in the murk. A slight figure wrapped tightly in a white cloak clutched an obsidian dagger with nimble precision, standing in the fog like a tall sentinel above small, light clouds. Beneath the shade of the cloak’s loosely-drawn hood, silver eyes glinted, a hue not unlike steel fire, and a face of gaunt, bony features could barely be seen sinking back into the darkness the hood provided. A slightly crooked nose with short, dark facial hair below distinguished him, as well as the upper hem of a black scarf tucked under the white cloak mirroring the color of the oncoming night. He was alone, a blank nothingness surrounding him and the only visible structure the crumbling battlements of Ondro on the nearby hill, silhouetted against the black night by lingering fires within. The lone man’s eyes shifted back and forth, ever searching and vigilant, even in the dark. The way the silver eyes glowed in the night made them almost like lanterns in the gloom as they wandered off into the distance.

From somewhere far off, a hoarse, strained cry sounded, a muffled howl off in the wilds of the nearby forest. The hollow voice sounded two more times, each increasing in volume as it came closer through the brush of the forest. The cloaked man readied his hand on the blackened dagger in his grip, positioning himself with it held high to strike. In the faint moonlight, the blade gleamed with fresh crimson blood. Balverine blood, that was. Earlier that night, the man had slain four of the beasts that had plagued the area outside of Ondro Citadel, dangerous creatures and crafty too. This night however, they had finally succeeded in attacking the citadel head-on, and even worse, succeeded in destroying it. The flames on the hilltop exploded in the cloaked man’s memory, becoming a spark and blaze of fury within his every thought. They had taken his home from him, his life, and everything he knew. It was ruined, just like the memories of the place utterly shredded his comrades who fell in battle against the ruthless beasts. The bitter hatred was so great though, clouding his vision and distorting his thoughts, so that he failed to see the charging Balverine seconds before it leapt into the air.

Huge, dark, with black bristly hair and blood streaming from its lips, the monster hurled itself at the man, its claws tearing through the air to seize him by the arm. Ripping straight through the coarse cloth of the white cloak, the claws brought the man down. Roaring in pain as the snow below became blood red, he felt the Balverine on top of him, pinning him to the ground as the monster’s rancid breath, like the stench of death, reached him. But as he lay there, just waiting for death, he noticed that something was more than just a bit unusual, and even in pain, the man could see something different in the Balverine’s eyes. For a moment or two, a quick flash in the dark, he could see it: a glimmer of humanity, the light of life in the Balverine’s feral eyes.

He blinked, staring into the eyes as if in recognition of something. What happened next, the man would never forget. The eyes kept watching him as the Balverine rose up, standing in front of him like an animal would, but at the same time, like a man. In an insurmountable silence only marred by the far-off crackling of flames, their gaze met one last time, and they only watched eachother as if wondering what the other was thinking. After what seemed like ages, the Balverine shifted its gaze, glancing around to stare briefly at the pale moon before howling loud and long, turning and running off into the dark, cold northern night.

And then he was alone. In the snow bank, he just slumped over, hoping like anything that he would die, that he could escape the horrible pain and the feeling of not knowing what was next. His mind strained, wanting to think about the Balverine and the encounter but inwardly knowing that it was doing him no good. He forced himself brusquely into an uneasy sleep, waiting for the silence of death to take him away. But it never came, and never would come. In his subconscious mind, flashes of white, shots of pale light streaming like moonlight breaking through the darkness came, pure fire through a dark tunnel. The corridors of his mind were lit up, and a nauseating spiral sent him deeper into sleep, into an unearthly dark and quiet chamber within his thoughts where there was no time, no life, nothing. Feeling nothing and everything all at once, his mind burned with images suddenly, out of nowhere passing in front of him like a stream of memories exploding out of the recesses of his thoughts, pulling him at breakneck speeds through unexplored chasms of his mind. It was too much, and he found himself falling into a dizzying coma within his own thoughts.

Several hours later, he awoke, his head spinning as if in the stead of a severe hangover, though this was a different kind of pain. This was ringing pain, something that echoed through every moment, every painstakingly coarse notion in his head. He staggered around as he attempted to get up out of the snow bank, but the effort was wasted as he slumped back down once again. He clutched at his head, throwing off his hood and slowly reaching up to the torn sleeve of his cloak. He turned to examine it, expecting to see the bloody scar that the Balverine had left, but instead, what he found was more than just a bit unusual. The skin was smooth, regular as it had been, but where there should have been jagged claw marks, there was a symbol, a dark sign resembling a paw, the paw of a Balverine he presumed. Something was definitely not right here. He knew this much, but the man would not know until much later just what it all meant, and just who he was about to become.

The man in white was Tornel Helmort, the young ruler-to-be of Snowspire Village with great power and as of that frigid fall night eighteen years ago, a great secret. The mark was one known in legends and northern tales as the fabled Black Paw, an omen of vast dark magic. But as Helmort knew it, it was what made him less than human. Every night, he would change into a Balverine, an irregular pattern at first. For the first month, he isolated himself within his quarters at the manor at Snowspire while his scholars searched for answers late into the night. Their attempts were fruitless. It was a phenomenon unseen in ages past, that someone bitten by a Balverine could in a sense, live a half-normal life, a condition referred to as lycanfexia thropylae, or more commonly known by Snowspire scholars as the “Half Existence”. It was more of a curse than a blessing, that was, until Helmort found a way to control it.

From his early days as a general at Ondro Citadel to the east of Snowspire, Tornel Helmort was a man with leadership in his blood, a bold, outgoing king among men. Even so, to prove his power to his subjects, he took the title of Grimlaf (in the ancient tongue of the northern people meaning dominance) when he ascended to become Snowspire’s ruler. But after the Black Mark became a burden in his life, he withdrew from regular everyday life, speaking only in close with people of his court, such as High Priest Nirkraj, and on occasion, the captain of the guard. As far as he knew it though, his life was at a standstill. He could not continue on his regular affairs knowing that he was inside, truly a monstrosity. It was indeed an ability given to him through the strange means of fate, but it was an ability he would change if he could in a heartbeat. Locked within the sturdy doors of his great impenetrable fortress was the only place he could truly find solace and safety, and it was here that he had been for the past four years, waiting, hoping that some miracle may arise, but that was all it was. Hoping. In Lord Grimlaf Helmort’s life as ruler, hope was never all that certain.

And in the winter after the year’s hard times and dark times, when pale snowfall and bitter gale winds were the only guest for a lone soul, he would think back. Back on all the years in hiding, even from his own people, on all the years he had not seen his family, his father in Snowspire, the days he had missed that had passed by unknown, and all the years past on that night in late fall, when Ondro Citadel fell, and with it, all his dreams came crashing down around him into a darkness as black as the mark he now bore. There was no way to avoid it and no way to change it. Fate had already had its way. And even fate, like a brittle façade, cannot hide the truth, the cold, dark truth…

D

Darg

Soldier By Name;145869 said:
Lycanthrope? Nice.

Ah, I'm glad someone noticed. The fake scientific name thing was a direct reference to that, but I wanted to make it a little less usual and predictable. I'm not all that sure where the story's headed from here, but having a dude with lycanthropy in it should be... interesting. :lol:

Soldier By Name

Reaction score

It should be interesting. I'm still here man, and I'm not going anywhere lol.

D

Darg

Well, procrastination is a fate worse than death for writers, I suppose, yet in all the confusion, I managed to crank out Chapter 26. Sorry for the wait of almost a month or more, but it took me a looong time to form these ideas, believe me. Anyway, I hope it's good... So, take it away!

Chapter 26~ Meeting the Truth

“Can you see it?” asked the guardsman, peering out past the battlements at the curious rising smoke in the distance.
“What the hell do you think? Of course I can see it,” the second guard hissed, “it’s been brewin’ out there for days.” The first guard shaded his eyes from the sun, staring off intently as if he could see what the cause of the smoke was. “Can’t tell what it is, Jim. Fog’s too thick,” the second said in a calmer tone.
“Yeah, yeah. What’d the cap’n think it was?”
“I don’t know. Captain can’t say for sure, probably because he never even gets up off his fat rear and comes up here to check.”
“Hey Norman! Jim!” a third guard shouted from the nearby iced-rimmed barracks.
“What do ya need, Ramere? Let me guess, the captain needs help getting out of bed again,” the second guard, Norman said, rolling his eyes.
“Uh… no… luckily…” Ramere scratched his head almost as if trying to think of what to say, “You two are wanted by Nirkraj. He didn’t say why, but I reckon it’s pretty important if it’s the High Priest that wants you.”

“The High Priest?” Jim repeated more to himself than to anyone else, “But what’ve we done wrong to have to see him?”
Norman sighed, “No, stupid! It’s obviously about our accomplishments as first-class guards. You’d be talkin’ to the headsman if’n you did something wrong.”
“Er… yeah. Good luck with that.” Ramere said, rolling his eyes. “Listen, you’re wanted down in the Royal Hall about 7:30 sharp tonight. Don’t be late.”
“We’ll be there. Right, Jim?”
“What? Who?” Jim said dimwittedly.
“Yeah. Right.” Ramere murmured, slipping quietly back into the barracks.

. . .

It was ten o’clock in the morning when Veros finally awoke from a deep, uneasy sleep. He and the others had stayed the night at the inn, all fees paid by Nirkraj and the Snowspire guardsmen. Veros had thanked them for their hospitality, inwardly knowing that he had duties to attend to. And that was putting it lightly. He had to save Albion and yet he was drinking ale and having breakfast at an inn. It made him feel guilty, but he also knew there was something else at stake here. After telling them all the tale of Lord Helmort and his dark past, the blind priest had proposed to them another meeting on the subject, insisting that it was of vital importance. They were all made to swear an oath of secrecy, each of them vowing not to reveal Helmort’s true nature unless the situation absolutely demanded it. It was a heavy burden, but so was saving the world. This was child’s play compared to the big picture.

For the most part though, morale was high in the group, and they all seemed to be enjoying their interlude away from the nerve-wracking trials of the journey. Finrar could often be found in the town square, impressing children and passersby with a bit of showman magic, however uneasy it made the guards. Scorl and Badris mainly sat around the fire at the tavern, drinking and telling jokes, critiquing the barman and flirting with the barmaids, a stranger side of the burly tavern keeper that Veros had not seen before. He guessed it was the relief at being on the other side of the bar for once. Durig had finally returned to his artistry as if he were in Knothole Glade once again, sketching out scenes of everyday town life by day and painting them by night. It was a troublesome habit, and he had gotten little sleep, but it later became apparent that he was selling the paintings to sustain a bit of pocket money. There was no telling what could lie ahead, and it was a useful strategy indeed.

Melinda Germain would make daily visits to the library at the royal court, reveling in their works as if it were her own private library back home. She had been a great help in the last few days, taking in all the information she could about the terrain and even copying down a few detailed maps from the library’s atlases. It was the part about her droning on and on about the land’s bestiary and flora which severely bored the rest of them. Veros had to admit, Melinda was extremely helpful and intelligent, but anyone talking about the dangers of yellow snow for almost an hour can get very boring… very fast.

Even Veros found himself immersed in the activities of the bustling northern town. He talked and laughed with the people of the village, played coin golf at the pub and even won a drinking contest at one point in time. Unfortunately, he lost his lunch out back shortly after, but the 400 gold prize made up for it. For the most part, life here was great. But every time he said that, it echoed in his head like a bell being harshly rang in a quiet room. Life here was great. He often wondered about everything leading up to where he was right now, all the faces he had seen and places he had gone that he only thought fantasy until this journey.

He thought many times about the ones that helped him get this far, Rolf Halmund and Rufus Almonder back at the ship, both of whom he hadn’t seen in for what seemed like years. And he would never truly forget Tom, bold, daring, but perhaps too bold for his own good. He even recalled his foes, Kalon Smithson the servant of Jack and Wyverd Wickstad, the enemy of Hook Coast. He thought of Lewis Dehoode and Rich Silmanor and all those who had aided in the fight against the deranged sorcerer, and even of the mysterious Sarvis Umbras and his horde of traitorous guards. He thought also of the Northern Glow, the Twilight Prophecies and the days long past in Witchwood, as well as the memories of their fair ship, the Sea Wolf,that had taken them so far. But most of all, his thoughts rested on the Dawn Breaker and the Eye of the Phoenix and the stories yet untold... He had come so far and yet, it seemed like nothing in comparison to what he still had to do.

After almost an entire week of anxiously waiting at the tavern, living life and planning out their journey, Nirkraj finally contacted them. They were to meet in the hall of the Royal Court, an abandoned place ever since Grimlaf Helmort pulled out of daily affairs and constructed his citadel. Veros knew nothing of what they were to discuss, and no one could offer any useful advice either. The rest always looked to him for answers in trouble, but now when they inquired most, he knew absolutely nothing. Something deep down within him said that it would be more than just an obstacle to overcome, but thinking back on all that he had so far accomplished, he wasn’t worried. Much…

And so after a long day of doing nothing important, biting fingernails and anticipating with curious thoughts, they were finally called to the meeting by a guardsman by the name of Ramere. Short and cynical, he was a walking heap of sarcasm, yet he reminded Veros strangely of someone he used to know, probably from Badris’s tavern back in the glade which had become more or less of a center for oddities of all sorts. He seemed cautious though at addressing Veros, something that brought to mind several thoughts, even the possibility that he had obtained some sort of fame here, maybe even a sort of legendary status… or perhaps it was just wishful thinking. It was about 7 when Ramere knocked on Veros’ inn room door, jarring him from a late nap. Yet, even that seemed so long ago, as it was 7:30 sharp and the meeting was just beginning. Just beginning, just like the rest of this sordid adventure, Veros thought.

D

Darg

The meeting place, the Royal Hall of Snowspire’s court, was regal and not unlike most of the places Veros had ever been, as far as stately, important places came anyway. One thing stood out quite obviously however, the general age of the place, the cobwebs in the rafters and the cracked stone floors where spatters of old spillage was dumped. Old wooden crates in rickety piles were everywhere, and it was apparent that the place had become more of a warehouse than anything. It was windowless except for a single-paned stain-glass bay window on the far side, its colors faded and its glass warped. The floor of the place was nearly devoid of furniture, a large, circular table surrounded by ornate wooden chairs the only noticeable distinction in the dim corridor.

It was here that Veros noticed, that through many trials and many errors, they were coming to a dividing line along their journey’s path. Something told him, perhaps instinct, perhaps something else, but more than he knew, his suspicions were correct. When Veros and his companions were ushered into the dilapidated hall, he instantly knew that this was more important than it had first appeared. For starters, Nirkraj was not alone, at least ten other official-looking men and women gathered around the table with him at its head. They were varying in appearance, from a stout, angst-ridden northerner with a beard to a tall, dark-skinned woman in her late forties, and anything in between as far as Veros could tell. This is going to be interesting he thought before stepping towards the table anxiously.

“Veros. Come, you and your friends should take a seat.” Nirkraj began speaking instantly, surprising Veros with the knowledge of his ever-present blindness. Actually, it was starting to freak him out, to be honest.
“Nirkraj,” Veros acknowledged him, settling down into a seat as the rest followed suit. He glanced around the round table briefly, looking into the eyes of each of the seated officials (or so he guessed they were) with reserved curiosity.
“I am glad you could make it. Lieutenant Ramere is not always as efficient as he would like to think.” Veros noticed the short northerner somewhere across the table, rolling his eyes cynically before donning an uncanny half-smile, of course because Nirkraj couldn’t see it. Ramere was flanked by two other guards, one pale and scrawny-looking and the other large and blissfully unaware with blonde hair, Norman and Jim, as Ramere had told them on the way to the meeting spot. Nirkraj continued, “Yet while you have stayed here, my scholars and I have assembled a plan for what we think may aid you in your quest.”
“Slow down a second there, bucko!” Scorl blurted out in a haughty, demanding tone that startled most of the others at the table, “How did you all find out about it?”
Nirkraj grinned strangely, in an odd way that Veros just couldn’t describe as he said, “Who is to say we mentioned an ‘it’?” Scorl gave the rest of them an inquiring look, about to speak before Nirkraj began again, “No, we have outside sources. People you may already know. The boatswain Rolf Halmund and his accompanying officer, Rufus Almonder, hmmm?” Veros sat in stunned silence at the mention of the names, and only nodded subtly in response. “Yes, Veros, it would appear your comrades docked at the eastern harbor about two days ago. We made contact and soon after learned of your… predicament. What a tale indeed, Veros. Or should I say Veros the wayfarer? Or perhaps Veros the defeater of wizards? How about Veros the Kraken-slayer? Legendary, these stories are that I have heard. Yet perhaps even a legendary traveler such as yourself needs assistance in these dark times…”

“Where are Rolf and Rufus?” Veros said, ignoring the statement at the mention of the two men.
“They couldn’t make it,” said the stout northerner with the beard, leaning back in his chair casually with his arms folded, “said they were anchoring their ship or unloading supplies or somethin’.”
“Anchoring? Why?” Badris spoke up, staring the stout man in the eyes, the other just sitting there with an obviously bored expression on his face.
“Hell if I know.”
“Dagran! Use your manners! These are our guests after all.” Nirkraj scolded the northerner more like a child than a grown, fully-bearded man.
“Fine. The young one said they were planning on meeting you here. Tomorrow, eight o’ clock at the tavern. They’ve got plans we already know about, so listen up.” Dagran shifted his gaze across the table to a finely-groomed, mustachioed, gray-haired man wearing a pompous-looking outfit, giving him a cue of some sort.
The man cleared his throat and spoke in a heavily-accented Bowerstone slur, not unlike an auctioneer or salesman, “Yeah see, now, we’ve got word from yar friends that there’s somethin’ goin’ on, now. There’s a big plan, spiel, yeah. You all know anyone by tha name o’ Sarvis Umbras, now?” Veros eyed the strange man with veiling curiosity, nodding his head very subtly like the sway of a boat at sea.

“So I see,” he continued in his odd accent, “Well, this fellah Umbras has got his sights set on somethin’. Revenge? Justice? Scrumpy? Don’t quite know. Ya see, yar friends caught sight of ‘im. Dirty deeds, see- killin’ off his crew o’ that ship he was in, see. Later on, some scouts o’ ours recognized ‘im. Outlaw of sorts, ya see now. Been on the run for near some time now, see. Man’s dangerous- killer, crazy. Them scouts best not mess with ‘im, and so they all came back an’ reported it. Well, he’s here somehow, or somewhereabouts near and we don’t even know why yet, see. Mayhaps you’d know there, sonny?” As much as Veros was about sick of the strange city accent, he had to admit- this was going somewhere… whether for good or for bad still remained to be answered.
“You were right about one part at least, um… er…” Veros trailed off, not knowing who he was even talking to.
“Name’s Avery. But you, sir, can call me Ave. Or just A if yar quick that way, see.”
“Er… yeah…” Veros looked around at the rest of his group, their expressions all mirroring his thoughts: what the hell have we gotten into here? “Avery, like I was saying, you were right about one part- Revenge. Sarvis was with us in the grove when we fought Jack-”
A sudden, overwhelming hush engulfed the room, and a few of Nirkraj’s attendees gasped under their breath before the High Priest himself spoke, “We were not told about Jack,” His voice sounded hollow, almost severe, and Veros knew why, because this was hardly a laughing matter, “If it is true that you speak of Jack of Blades, then perhaps this is a matter of greater importance than I first suspected… You say this Umbras, this monstrosity of a man, he has something to do with the demon of ages?”

“Unfortunately so. He is one of his men. Or at least he was. Somehow, some way, he betrayed Jack or vice versa. Now they are at odds with eachother from what I can tell and they both seek revenge. Or at least Sarvis does.” Veros gave his information, the mood of the room becoming darker than the gathering night outside. The air was filled with tension.
Nirkraj shifted in his chair, looking up into Veros’ eyes in an uncanny way despite his blindness, “So it is. Sarvis, I’m afraid, has no idea what he is up against. Powerful and deadly as he is, he cannot face Jack alone. And for that matter, neither can you. I feared that it might be as so, for great evil tends to be attracted to great magic such as this, yet it now appears as reality. Yet desperate times call for desperate measures. And desperate allies as well.” Veros’ eyes widened and the rest of the group looked to one another nervously at the thought of where this was going… and where it might end up. “You will find that bonds made with common goals are the most powerful, young Veros. And there are only two men that may aid you on this most difficult task of defeating the demon and reclaiming your honor.” Two men? Veros thought, What’s going on here? “One of the two was once your enemy, a servant of a great evil, yet the other is a stranger… at least to his own eyes. You have seen him, yes?” Oh no, Veros’s mind began frantically spinning out of control at the possibility that- and then, from the opposite side of the ancient warehouse, a rusted metal door creaked open, three silhouetted figures standing in the entryway, one of them cloaked and the other two helmeted guards. They approached the table, hard footsteps echoing all around, almost like the intense beating of Veros’s heart. Then, when the trio reached the table, the cloak was thrown back and a pale, lightly bearded face with a crooked nose and a sly expression was revealed. And the part that stopped Veros’s beating heart- on one exposed shoulder, there was a scar as dark as any abyss, strangely shaped like a paw mark. The Black Paw, the curse and legend of- “Veros,” Nirkraj said, “Meet the real Grimlaf Helmort.”

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Enjoying this very much...keep going! :D

Soldier By Name

Reaction score

Darg you sly SOB, the story looks good. Very good work.

D

Darg

Soldier By Name;160402 said:
Darg you sly SOB, the story looks good. Very good work.

Sly SOB? I like the sound of that. Hopefully the next chapter will magically appear sooner or later. I've got big plans for this story, hopefully not too ambitious, but let's just see where it goes from here. I don't even know, really. :lol:

Thanks for the support and for actually reading this. It's a dirty job, I know, but someone's got to do it. :p

D

Darg

Well, I'm finally back, with, well... half a chapter. I've done it before, splitting up chapters, but in the meanwhile while I'm busy working on the second part of this, I thought I'd release the first part. Hopefully it's not that long and you can get something from it, but here it goes...

Chapter 27- Part I~ The Other Side

Just inside the gates of Snowspire Village, Sarvis Umbras had slipped past the guards and was heading toward the center of town in disguise. Beneath the tattered hood and makeshift mask, he was grinning at his own ingenuity, having tricked the guards into believing he was a traveling salesman. A traveling salesman? He thought afterwards. Only idiots would believe in a traveling salesman in the middle of freezing nowhere with a ragged old costume like this on. Despite it, he felt things were going his way. For once in for what seemed like an incredibly long time, he was going to get to sleep in an actual inn and be amongst actual, real people. The idea was exciting, yet he still had to focus on his primary objective.

It’d been quite awhile since he’d seen or heard from Jack, but as far as he knew, that was a good thing. Earlier on while traveling to Snowspire, when he was ambushed by some of Jack’s minions in the Brotherhood of Skorm, he knew right away what his former master’s intentions were for him. Yet he couldn’t help but feel a sense of pride at knowing that every obstacle Jack had sent against him had crumbled like bridges made of sand. At one point, he even felt a surge of confidence over it all. He knew Jack better than most, and he could tell that something was preventing him from contacting him further. Could it be fear? Could it be just all part of his plan? One never knew for sure about the games demons played, yet it all had to add up to something. What, he just couldn’t figure out yet.

But until the moment he actually had to face the facts, he was content with staying in Snowspire for a spell. In his contentment however, he failed to notice the band of adventurers crossing the town square right before his partially concealed eyes. One caught his attention, a burly balding man of fair age wearing a worn traveler’s coat, something familiar tugging at a memory in Sarvis’s mind. He’d seen him somewhere, though he couldn’t quite remember where. Then it hit him as he glanced around at the man’s companions. His heart stopped and he backpedaled a bit, spinning around and instinctively pressing his back against the doorframe of an open shop. He peered around the doorframe’s corner surreptitiously, eyeing the group as they continued on their way, unbeknownst to their hidden spectator. Could it be? He thought, his heart pounding against his ribcage, the idea welling up in his head, eventually becoming more apparent. Veros Baintain was in Snowspire and so were his companions, and that could either mean ruin or refuge.

Their last encounter was sordid to say the least, the battle against Jack in the forest clearing proving a difficult trial. And he could tell things had not been going well for them either. That one, he thought, their leader, Bob? Todd? Whatever. Died at the hand of Jack. Not good. He’d seen the small, strange band in combat more than once. For a bunch of small town Hook Coast rabble, they could put up a fight. As he’d always been taught, there was power in numbers, and he also knew well enough that it was best to have more allies than enemies. Sifting through his memories, he recalled the incident in the clearing, when whatshisname, Bob, Todd, Rob, whatever, had told him something about having a common enemy and a common goal. Hmmm… he thought, a common enemy. There is power in numbers after all…

The sound of someone’s voice off in the distance brought him back to the present, and he soon recognized whose it was. He’d heard that voice many a time, long ago when he’d traveled all over this country in search of adventure. He glanced over to find the innkeeper of Snowspire, a short, thin, scraggly man with dark skin and long hair, speaking to Veros and his group on the front porch of the inn. The innkeeper was Delgado Arcturian, great, great grandson of Ryros Arcturian, the legendary White Knight and Balverine slayer of Snowspire. Sarvis knew him well, and at one time, had even worked in his cellars for a living. How things had changed... It was a wonder he was still alive after all he’d faced, Sarvis then thought. It was a lesser-known truth that Arcturian was a little beneath the law, having once been a master thief after the fall of the Great Bowerstone Rebellion. He knew every trick in the book, and had taught Sarvis many of them in his time. One such trick was espionage. This is going somewhere, he thought slyly, ideas already forming in his warped mind.

He knew he had to contact Delgado, yet it seemed nearly impossible without attracting the attention of Bantain’s small army. Knowing that he couldn’t just waltz in, he had another plan up his tattered sleeve. He would have to wait for an opportunity to enter unbeknownst to the inn’s occupants, either when Veros and his lackeys were out on their little quest or on a quiet night. Unfortunately, neither of these opportunities came quick enough. Sarvis could already tell by the third day that the band of adventurers were planning on making an extended stay in the city, and this was definitely not good in his case. For the next couple of days, he made his quarters in the loft of an unused barn, choosing a more inconspicuous resort. He would mostly stay in during the day, plotting and thinking things over in an almost euphoric daze, only venturing out at nightfall for some minor robberies where he employed just a few tricks of the trade, as sordid as it was to be surviving off of it. Only once in the middle of the week he came out during the day to sell his loot to the general store, all the time watchful, all the time vigilant of the tavern and its occupants. And then, after a long, long week and a half, his opportunity finally came.

The entire band, Veros, his friends and all, departed to somewhere at 7:30 in the evening of the ninth day, but it was a sure bet they’d be back. He readied his makeshift cloak-cloth mask, wrapping its billowing, ragged hood around his broken features and pulling a long wool robe he’d bought over it all. He looked like a mess, but after living the way he had for this long, it was to be expected. Not exactly dress to impress here, really, he grinned to himself.

It was about eight o’ clock when he dared to go out, traversing the streets to the town square, about the only one crazy enough to go out on a night as cold as this. He pulled his swathing robe tight around his body, pressing on as a light snow fell and the wind picked up slightly. On his way, he passed a lone beggar on a street corner, asleep and wrapped in a tattered assortment of old rags, the frost sticking in small clumps to a rugged beard that had seen many hard nights such as this. An old rusted cup sat near the man, a place for any pity offerings, Sarvis assumed. Though under any normal circumstances, he would’ve steered clear of the street corner and focused more on his objective, something wavered inside him, a small urge of some sort he didn’t often feel. Whatever it was, he took the hint. He looked around momentarily before reaching down and dropping a handful of gold in the rusty cup, turning and continuing on his way down the empty street.

Before he was almost all the way down the moonlit, snow covered avenue, he heard a small, rough voice speak up just enough that he could hear. It was the beggar, who’d just awaken perhaps just out of instinct. “Thank you, sir.” For three words, they meant a lot to Sarvis, especially to a man that had seldom heard anything close to it in his entire existence. Then, a strange sensation forced itself inside his gut, something he couldn’t quite define. Either way, he walked down the street, mouthing out the quiet answer, “Good luck.” Still, after he’d gone, he wondered if he spoke the words more to himself than to the old man. Perhaps, he thought, luck is all I need right now. Very soon though, his luck was going to find him. And hit him head on.

M

Melarn

seriously m8 u gotta do something about this story.......publish it or something it would be one heck of a seller. trust me. this has gripped me way more than the lord of the rings or harry potter ever did and look how far they have come lol :) ya never know this story could end up a film if you go to the right places :)

Soldier By Name

Reaction score

yeah darg, even if they dont see your writing in the same light that our little brethren does, it still could be made into a movie. the smallest things in life sometimes make the greatest change. never forget that man.

Zquad

The Widowmaker
Reaction score

Great story

led_zepp123

Fables 27th greatest fan
Reaction score

man you have to write more im hooked, i put down a series of books to read this. absolutly brilliant it would be a shame for veros not to finish his journey. please write another, if yeh dont ill cry:'(

D

Darg

Well, I've been away for a looong time. More than I'd like to mention. I hate more than ANYTHING to let down all of you that have supported me by reading this and continuing the Eye of the Phoenix on for its entirety. I promise, to the best I can fulfill it, to complete this story. I have begun reading through the past few chapters and deciding what to do next. I will begin making new chapters soon enough, and I won't let you guys down again!!

Thanks, and let's all hope for the best. No harder challenge in storywriting than coming up with an ending... hang in there, and there will be a comeback!=)