• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Heroes

Arc Caster

Sarcastic Slacker
Reaction score
The Heroes

Your opinions on each hero from two, Theresa non-withstanding.

Hammer:
I thank her for her care for my dog, though I was annoyed by her questioning of wishing for my lovable dog back. I'm glad that she considered Gunslinger her friend and I was happy to see that she actually left her Light ways for something realer. All and all she was a cool character.

Garth:
What a pompous will-user. He's cool, but his incessant arguing with Hammer was lame. Really, Garth? Can you grasp that there is some need for spontaneity in fights as well? But after he covered me twice, I was happy. He also seems to enjoy fights. Honestly, I think Garth and Hammer have respect for each-other, and my Gunslinger and him came to terms of respect in the spire escape. He's a good guy.

Reaver:
At first I was annoyed. Then, I went to the shadow court. When I got back, all I could think was how this guy is like a Jack Sparrow. He was annoying, but I'm glad he had my back in the escape of Bloodstone. He also has a twisted back-story, and I loved that he praised my vain-ness in letting that woman sacrifice her youth. I eventually found myself liking this character, and finding his snob, jackassery a lovely addition to the team. Still waiting for you to kill me at your mansion, Reaver.

These are my opinions.

G

GMRauru

Re: The Heroes

Hammer:
I pretty much disregard Hammer whenever i'm forced to be in the same group as her. Unlike Garth who could damage multiple people while I picked individuals off, she attacks too slow to do much at all. I also just couldn't find a way to relate my character to her in any way, especially when she dissed me for choosing my Dog over NPCs that have no effect later in the game.

Garth:
My favorite out of the three, mostly because of his neutrality on issues, which matches up with my hero. I also have mad respect for his Blade spell which is so much cooler than ours, it would be neat to have something released for Fable III and Kinect that lets us use hand motions for spells that charge while we aren't casting ( probably doesn't need to be in this thread though ). Overall he's just a character that I could relate too mine the best.

Reaver:
I've never really liked Reaver or found a reason to like him throughout all of my Fable II playthroughs. Most likely because Oakvale has been my favorite Fable city since I began playing it and he's the cause of its ultimate destruction. I do enjoy his company more than Hammer's though because of his wit.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

I like them all. They all had their strengths and weaknesses.

Reaver was an incredible villain, he had so much flare he was also the most helpful in combat.

Garth stole my hard earned exp after the fight with the commandant. He was perceptive and confident and showed remorse when he found out about rose.

Hammer is by far my favorite.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

I really like all the hero's featured in Fable II. They are unique in their personalities, skills and they add some feeling into the game, when you play with them on your side. For example, I liked the quest at the beach (the one at the end of Reaver's Rear Passage) where all the hero's combined their skills and fought against Lucien's men in a cool way, that was one of the best points of the game.

Another good point, is when you visit for the first time the Crucible with hammer. With her strength you were able to survive against the balverine attacks and also escape from the ancient cave. I can really say that the AI's of the hero's in Fable II were developed in a good manner.

Recycled Human;413150 said:
Garth stole my hard earned exp after the fight with the commandant. He was perceptive and confident and showed remorse when he found out about rose.

Actually that was his own experience that the commandant took from him when Garth was captured at his tower. The spire drains energy and this energy is used, of course for teleportation of Lucien's men, creating more commandants and so on.

If he didn't take that experience anyway then he couldn't help you at fighting and steal a ship, escape from The Spire.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

I wasn't annoyed at the reasons why he took the exp, I understood why he did it.

I was annoyed as a gamer because of my own self imposed handicaps, it would have been easier to complete the escape if I could have used that exp to buy me a much needed upgrade to toughness.

xMrMuffin

Resident Lurker.
Reaction score

Hammer: Pretty boring and useless in fights, i didnt even need the help anyway.

Garth: Cool, can use the will differently to me, which i dont like. D:

Reaver: Best of the three, witty and interesting back-story.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

xMrMuffin;413232 said:
Hammer: Pretty boring and useless in fights, i didnt even need the help anyway.

Garth: Cool, can use the will differently to me, which i dont like. D:

Reaver: Best of the three, witty and interesting back-story.

Try playing through a restricted playthrough (no potions/food, rusty weapons only, no leveling up etc. not all at once mind you) and you'll find Hammer VERY helpful against the Balverines.

Otherwise you don't need any of the hero's help.

xMrMuffin

Resident Lurker.
Reaction score

Recycled Human;413237 said:
Try playing through a restricted playthrough (no potions/food, rusty weapons only, no leveling up etc. not all at once mind you) and you'll find Hammer VERY helpful against the Balverines.

I might try that, it would actually bring a challenge to the game, although i dont want too much of a challenge, 'coz im cool like that. :D

GMRauru

GOMLB
Reaction score

Recycled Human;413237 said:

No leveling up...you mean leveling strength/skill/will?

xMrMuffin

Resident Lurker.
Reaction score

Jakuro;413247 said:
No leveling up...you mean leveling strength/skill/will?

Probably just health or the whole strength category.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

It means no leveling up. It's really not that difficult.

Edit : outside of the one will spell you need to exit the guild hall I mean.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

Hammer:
She had her ups and downs, but the downs were far more noticeable. First of all, she never shuts the hell up. The whole time you're walking through the Wellspring Cave, she's just rambling and making comments about how you're fighting. "Wow, look up there. They're lovely. I think they're called wisps. Souls from the dead who never left this world. It's actually rather sad, isn't it?" "This must be the central chamber. Wow, I've never seen anything like this, ever." "Just keep 'Willing' them away, or whatever that's called." "You've got some nice skills, I'll give you that." "Wow, remind me not to make you angry." It was just annoying. Then, she gets all ****y because Theresa won't let her go with you on your quests before the journey to Westcliff. After that, she starts the fight with Garth by calling him Lucien's lacky in that mean-spirited tone of voice. Finally, she gets all high and mighty when you choose love in the Spire. She tries to make you feel bad for it whether you're good or evil. Still, she has some redeeming qualities. She knew she didn't fit in with the rest of the monks at the Temple of Light, and even though it took the death of her father, she still left. I like that rebelliousness. She's also usually somewhat realistic and down to earth.

Garth:
Garth's my favorite out of the three. There's nothing extraordinarily special about him, but I can't think of anything I dislike about him. He's sometimes down to earth like Hammer, and he's also very wise. But at the same time, he's just this cool black guy. He also looks the coolest. I love his monocle, bright and powerful looking Will user tattoos, hair, beard, and coat. His coat is like a cross between the Patchy Coat and the Highroller's Coat. I suppose the Patchy Coat is alright, but I really like the Highroller's Coat. His hair also fits him very well as a Will user. The plait style (for both his hair and beard) along with the white color is perfect, especially on a black guy.

Reaver:
Oh jesus f*cking christ, where do I begin with this asshole? There's just not even one redeeming quality about him. Let's start with the obvious. He destroyed Oakvale. How can we forgive him for that? The town we all know and love. The one that was our very first home in Albion. Gone. Because of this guy. Then, he takes in all the wealth there is in Bloodstone while the rest of the town is poorer than Mexico. Like he can't spare some gold for these people and turn Bloodstone into a normal city. Then, on top of all of that, he's more arrogant than anybody I've seen in any video game, movie, TV show, or even in real life. He expects everyone to worship him and kiss the ground he walks on as if it's plated in gold. If there's anything that I hate in this world besides stupidity, it's arrogance. He is the most vile and despicable creature to ever walk the land of Albion. He deserved the slowest and most gruesome, painful, and agonizing death possible. Then he deserves to burn for all of eternity in whatever kind of hell there is in the world of Fable. In Fable 3, once I become king, I look forward to taking down Reaver Industries, and then taking down Reaver himself. I'll destroy the Shadow Court by any means necessary. Then I'll slay him in combat and watch him squirm as I inch my blade deeper and deeper into his neck while he finally realizes that all of his arrogance was completely misplaced and inappropriate, that he was merely a small rodent or insect and a plight on the miserable world he had helped to create, and that I, the humble Hero, was superior to him all along. Yes, the look on his face as that happens will allow me to die a very happy man.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

Necromancer11;413283 said:
he takes in all the wealth there is in Bloodstone while the rest of the town is poorer than Mexico. Like he can't spare some gold for these people and turn Bloodstone into a normal city.

Spot on A++.

Reaver is a prick. That's his job and he's damn good at it. He's flamboyant and that to me makes him a fun character. I find myself waiting around more just to see what he'll say next.

Shark

Sleep. All life is a dream.
Reaction score

Hammer:
Annoying and seemed a bit desperate for a friend, I mean hell she let you come to her fathers funeral considering you only knew her for five seconds. And all the way through, she argued, and she didn't do much against balverines, I bought a good gun and shot them down dead before they even got close, all her use was to push a big tower over some spikes which I could've of easily walked through myself. Even at the end she ****es me off, Love she makes you feel guilty, and Wealth she argues with you because I didn't want to revive some people, boo hoo, I also went on a Killer-spree in Oakfield and Bowerstone but that didn't change her mind.

Garth:
I like Garth a lot, he helps me out more in fighting, and he looks awesome. He seems to be on your side most of the time, if not all of the time, and doesn't annoy you by rambling on about his day. It didn't even bother me when in the Spire he took your experience that you so heavily fought for, because he flies in the air goes blue and screams! At the end, when you choose Love he seems to help you out from Hammers guilt rant, which is awesome. Also when you choose Wealth or even Sacrifice, he doesn't argue with you, he just accepts your choice, what-a-guy.

Reaver:
I love Reaver, just the fact that he has Stephen Frys voice is enough for me, but the fact that he's such a prick to you is awesome. Lets see, he sets the Shadow out, he tricks people into giving them his youth, he's bisexual, he's lived for a long time, he's the King of Thief's, and he even betrays you just for some money, considering you are the Hero, and also when he himself is betrayed, he doesn't sit around and whine, he acts like a Gentlemen, complains for a bit, and escapes with you by his side, also lets not forget his awesome shooting skills, he's my idol! At the end, if you don't kill Lucien, and listen to his sad story, who's their to stop this heresy? Why its Reaver! "Oh I thought he'd never shut up", he just killed the main bad guy, the boss of the game, the reason for your mission, and he just shrugs it off like "What ever, I do this thing for living".

POOP

Whatever floats your goat
Reaction score

My opinions are probably the same as everyone else, but oh well.

Hammer: Well she's probably a lesbian. Let's just start off with that. She's probably a lesbian, which is fine, but I just think it's worth noting. So, she's probably a lesbian. Right. Also, for someone who is supposed to be really strong, she is really useless in combat. She did the least of the three from what I've seen. I hate that she is called "Hammer". She doesn't seem like a Hannah either. How about we just refer to her as Blake? Anyway, Blake (lesbian?) also had kind of a boring story. Her father got killed, so she wants revenge. Alrighty. Not much depth in her personality. She's a "good person", that's pretty much it.

Garth: Now the token black person. I don't mean to sound racist, but I think Lionhead purposely made the "smart guy" black so it wouldn't anger people that there has only been one other black guy in Fable who was kind of offensive (Thunder was black, Black Thunder, also known as a poop-fart). Thunder also reinforced the common stereotype that every black person is Jamaican. Even in a world where Jamaica doesn't exist, all black people are from Jamaica. Garth seemed too much like the cliched "Morgan Freeman black guy who acts kind of like a white guy but keeps his dignity about being a black guy".I don't mind it, though. Like Blake he doesn't really have much depth. He's a bit pompous, but at least with him it's justified since he was able to break the Hero out of the Spire. I also suspect him of being sexist for thinking Blake was stupid just because she's a woman(?). Also, he threatened me with lightning when I was a youngion, and I partially blame him for Rose's death. Garth knew it would happen. HE KNEW.

Reaver: Probably the only character I liked in the game (besides Theresa, she was good, but kind of ruined by my Hero's idiotic expressions). Obviously I don't mean liked in the sense of "Oh yes, he would make a very good friend!" but in the sense of "Oh yes, he is a good idea for a character and I like his story!". Firstly, he seemed like the most useful in combat. I actually saw him kill a guy once (besides those painting, taking pictures, or sculpting him, or those 5 guys in the cave that have 1hp). I honestly don't think I've ever seen Blake or Garth kill someone (except for when it was in a cutscene-type thing). According to Blake, he shoots captains in the face from far away on a boat (which I assume is not entirely steady out at see). I'd also assume the wind would have to be taken into account, right? I don't know how far he is shooting, but I'll assume pretty far. His diary shows that he actually had loved some chick, which I thought was enough depth to make him interesting. Reaver was once a normal dude who was afraid of death. He's still a douche, but a funny anad interesting douche. Also I like Stephen Fry

Wasabi

Cant play Fable 3 till Dec.
Reaction score

Hammer:
She desperately annoys me with her constant rambling. However, she is also a breath of fresh air compared to your co-op henchmen. She's a big strong woman who has an attitude and yet a heart of gold. I love that the developers chose to make the Hero of Strength a big strong woman instead of just a big burly guy. :)

Garth:
A man of few words. I don't have a lot to say about him. He's serious, and I admire his bluntness, too.

Reaver:
Reaver is a prick. That's his job and he's damn good at it. He's flamboyant and that to me makes him a fun character. I find myself waiting around more just to see what he'll say next.
Agreed Recycled Human. The point of Reaver is for you to hate him so I'm not surprised people do, really. He's damn good at being completely unbearable and yet, totally captivating. He is one of the more complex characters, seeming relatively one-dimensional until you crack open his backstory. He's merciless, witty, but charming. Favorite character. I'm still trying to figure out how tall he is, though.

POOP

Whatever floats your goat
Reaction score

Wasabi;413355 said:
Hammer:
Garth:
A man of few words. I don't have a lot to say about him. He's serious, and I admire his bluntness, too.
You misspelled blackness.

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score

Hammer:
One of the few that admired and liked this character. I actually enjoyed her company in the Welspring Cave and thought she had some interesting things to say. (zoom in on "some") I really don't see why people don't like her because she was useless, last time I checked this about their character, not their skills. None of them were helpful and just got in the way. Hammer didn't even give you that much crap when you picked Love, I don't understand why people are all up in arms about that either. It's just a bit odd that she makes herself your best friend even when you're evil...but I don't really mind, she's been through a lot with you, she's just a social creature which is something I admire to a point. All the faults that people find in her are things that I admire or otherwise don't really care that much about. Clearly she represents the Good/Pure Alignment in the game.

Garth:
He was just annoying. He was "wise" but aggravatingly so and never even proved his wisdom. When he argued with Hammer going to Brightwood Tower he just assumed she was wrong and eventually proved him wrong with much sense and logic. Also, that whole argument in the Guild was both of them. Hammer didn't need to say it how she did and Garth didn't have to come back with that unintelligent comment. He never said much and wasn't really a help to anything. I never cared for him but I never really got a chance to connect with him personally, even though he's not real. The only reason he never argued with your decision is because he represented the Neutral Alignment in the game.

Reaver:
Also annoying. I don't care for him at all and he was less helpful than Hammer in combat, I never saw him kill or even hit anyone. He, most of all, got in the way. Everything he said was shallow and uninteresting. His journal was smug and aggravating to listen to. I have absolutely no sympathy for his past/present/future woes because he really deserves all the pain he's caused everyone else in the world. I really just found him a boring character and a nuisance. However, this all proves that he represents the Evil/Corrupt Alignment in the game.

xMrMuffin

Resident Lurker.
Reaction score

Wasabi;413355 said:
Agreed Recycled Human. The point of Reaver is for you to hate him so I'm not surprised people do, really. He's damn good at being completely unbearable and yet, totally captivating. He is one of the more complex characters, seeming relatively one-dimensional until you crack open his backstory. He's merciless, witty, but charming. Favorite character. I'm still trying to figure out how tall he is, though.

I think he's awesome! :p