• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Heroes

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score
Re: The Heroes

Hated Reaver not for the fact that he did all those crappy things to the player but that you weren't allowed to do anything about it. That made me question the freedom of choice in the game, which led me to undermine the plot which led to hateful cynicism. I was not best pleased.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

It was his choice not yours... I don't see that as an issue of choice.

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score

Recycled Human;413654 said:
It was his choice not yours... I don't see that as an issue of choice.

NO, i couldnt do anything to him even after he screwed me, which didn't fit with me being evil. Read things, don't just look at them

Recycled Human

Reaction score

What exactly did he do to the hero? Send you on a fool errand that you had to go on to secure his help? Double cross you by going to Lucien? It's not like you could have done anything? Exactly what did you want to do?

And I say it again, all of these things were his choice not yours. You have no control over what your wife in game does with her freetime either and then there's those pesky guards that get into fights even when you don't choose for them to.

Next time explain what your talking about instead of just saying a short little generalized blurb and expecting that everyone just knows what you're talking about.

I take offense to being told to read your post when I've done that.

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score

Blestb;413973 said:
NO, i couldnt do anything to him even after he screwed me

The lack of freedom was that I couldn't do anything to him, which was my choice that was taken away rom me

Recycled Human

Reaction score

Blestb;413982 said:
[/I]

The lack of freedom was that I couldn't do anything to him, which was my choice that was taken away rom me

This is a fun game. I guess we'll just keep playing it.

What did you want to do to him? Kill him? Double cross him?

Your mission was to get him to join your team, without him the story couldn't have gone on. Exactly what did you want to do?

For that matter what could you do to any of the hero's?

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score

Recycled Human;413986 said:
This is a fun game. I guess we'll just keep playing it.

What did you want to do to him? Kill him? Double cross him?

Your mission was to get him to join your team, without him the story couldn't have gone on. Exactly what did you want to do?

For that matter what could you do to any of the hero's?

It was the way the story was written. For instance, he kills Barnum. Barnum has been present throughout the whole story and possibly the only non-main quest related character who is a nice person. And so i liked him. And the writer knew this, so he decided to rub the fact that you can't harm reaver in your face by having him kill someone you like. For that matter, why is he necessary on the team? Theresa never says, but yet you have to go round up all the heros anyway. It was basically a linear story under the pretense of having free choice.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

You needed the three heroes to power the spire to defeat Lucien. If Theresa was manipulative then she forced you to collect the three heroes so that she could get a working spire.

Let me get this strait. The game is linear and devoid of choice because Barnum gets killed?

It's a bold move for them to have killed him off, it's edgy and most importantly inconsequential. You liked Barnum so he had to live? You liked Barnum so you had to be given an option to seek vengeance for his death?

Ok how about choice, You get to choose whether the temple of light is saved or destroyed, you get to choose who you marry, if you have kids, you get to choose money, family or saving a bunch of innocent lives. You get to choose whether someone who insults your dog gets to live, die in public, die in the back streets or just suffer public humiliation.

But you can't prevent someone else from killing someone you like therefore the game is linear.

Ffxiii was linear. How exactly do you expect a story to be told without some points of intersection?

robynxx

Reaction score

hammer: i kinda liked her , she was nice in a way , i do think she was slow i killed 10 bandits before she even killed one . but she looked after my dog and was my friend no matter what .

Garth: my least favorite hero , okay so he was wise . and his will was kinda cool but other than that i just didnt think he was very likeable

Reaver: urgh i hate his but i like him aswell , he destroyed oakvale for the second time , my favorite fable town hes bi thts kool , hes also witty and really really funny and has alotta skill, i hate how he drains the youth from ppl just so he can live, i mean cmon how sick can u get lol . overall hes an awryte guy

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score

No it was an example of how the writer decided to restrict choice in an unrealistic manner so the player didn't mess up his awesome story. Don't question Theresa, you'll wreck the story. Don't throw the dark seal into the gaping pit infront of you, you'll wreck the moral choice.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

Blestb;414057 said:
No it was an example of how the writer decided to restrict choice in an unrealistic manner so the player didn't mess up his awesome story. Don't question Theresa, you'll wreck the story. Don't throw the dark seal into the gaping pit infront of you, you'll wreck the moral choice.

Still haven't learned my lesson then. I'm now only interested in this because you keep throwing out flawed logic. For instance, should the writer have included the ability to take the bullet for Rose? Or how about the ability to never buy the music box in the first place. Maybe instead when given the choice you could decide to throw the dark seal into the pit. The writers wouldn't have had to do anything after that point because when you turn around you'd notice that the door behind you was still locked.

Ok, so first question for this new line of logic, what genre do you classify Fable 2 as? An action rpg?

Second question, can you provide an example of a non-linear game from the same genre?

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score

No i class fable as an RPG. Second, Fallout 3. You don't have to work for anyone. It isn't mandatory to unquestioningly obey everyone to continue in the gameworld and all features and areas of the gameworld are available from the start. Non-linear. You can make choices in the main story that effect the main story. You can't in Fable 2, you have to follow the set path. It's an RPG with a linear main quest.

Arc Caster

Sarcastic Slacker
Reaction score

Fable is a story, with you choosing different choices, and ultimately, defeating Lucien. It is not mandatory to complete the main quest, but if you want to get anywhere, you will play through the story. The shadow court would have killed you, or left you in there. Anyway, You can't save Barnum for 1 simple reason. You can't kill Reaver if you want to accomplish your goal of ending Lucien. It's that simple. If you want to **** up the story and go off and do whatever like Fallout, then play Fallout. Fable 2 is a different game, and it is not fair to compare it to some game where the premise is different and expect them to write a script for you to do 10 different game-ending things and still finish the story.

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score

Arc caster did you go back and read all the posts before assuming that i was attacking fable? Or is everyone overreacting about a game and being aggessive because their on the internet?

Recycled Human

Reaction score

Disclaimer : fallout 3 spoilers

As a long time fallout fan I can tell you it has an equally linear story. In fallout 3 for instance, Yes you can go anywhere right from the beginning (like in oblivion) however certain areas only 'unlock' when you progress far enough in the story (for instance you can't get the ripper until after the Enclave start invading).

There are points in the game that you encountered just the same as I did. For instance, you rescued dad from the computer program, you were picked up by the enclave and propositioned by the president and given the choice to destroy it or agree to it's demands. Sounds familiar.

And when Liam neeson's character gets murdered and you can't stop it how did that differ from not being able to stop barnums death?

Finally, in the original game your character died no matter what you did.

All games have these points of intersection in the story.

That's all from me.

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score

Recycled Human;414080 said:
Disclaimer : fallout 3 spoilers

As a long time fallout fan I can tell you it has an equally linear story. In fallout 3 for instance, Yes you can go anywhere right from the beginning (like in oblivion) however certain areas only 'unlock' when you progress far enough in the story (for instance you can't get the ripper until after the Enclave start invading).

There are points in the game that you encountered just the same as I did. For instance, you rescued dad from the computer program, you were picked up by the enclave and propositioned by the president and given the choice to destroy it or agree to it's demands. Sounds familiar.

And when Liam neeson's character gets murdered and you can't stop it how did that differ from not being able to stop barnums death?

Finally, in the original game your character died no matter what you did.

All games have these points of intersection in the story.

That's all from me.

All good points, all i was saying was that if you'd of read off a list of Fable 2 story occurences, we would of had the exact same experiences, except for an arbitry occurence (the girl in the shadow court, who only popped into existence to give me a moral choice and was going to vanish as soon as i left. Why should i care about an NPC more than the developer did?)

Arc Caster

Sarcastic Slacker
Reaction score

Blestb;414079 said:
Arc caster did you go back and read all the posts before assuming that i was attacking fable? Or is everyone overreacting about a game and being aggessive because their on the internet?

Not trying to be aggresive, I read them. You keep saying that Fable is linear however. Well, sorry if you were offended, but almost every game has to be linear, espicially a game named after morals and a story with a point.

Blestb;414081 said:
All good points, all i was saying was that if you'd of read off a list of Fable 2 story occurences, we would of had the exact same experiences, except for an arbitry occurence (the girl in the shadow court, who only popped into existence to give me a moral choice and was going to vanish as soon as i left. Why should i care about an NPC more than the developer did?)

I almost feel bad, but I gave her the seal and pulled a Reaver. She went to cry and run away, and I didn't want anyone to know what I did so I shot her head off. I'm sure that's pretty different from what you did. We all went through the same game, and same rooms, but we all had a different experience by the end.

Karmasb!ch

Antidisestablishmentarian
Reaction score

lol blestb ur makin no sense, even the most free roam games have essential characters u cant kill for ur own pleasure, whats the point of makin a game plot if the player can kill the main cast, reaver was created to be an ass that u have a love/hate relationship with, u never answered recycled humans question either, what exactly did u plan on doing to reaver for killing barnum? killing him...then what lucien takes over the world and u press the restart button lol u should think comments through b4 "attacking" a game :]

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score

Karmasb!ch;414086 said:
lol blestb ur makin no sense, even the most free roam games have essential characters u cant kill for ur own pleasure, whats the point of makin a game plot if the player can kill the main cast, reaver was created to be an ass that u have a love/hate relationship with, u never answered recycled humans question either, what exactly did u plan on doing to reaver for killing barnum? killing him...then what lucien takes over the world and u press the restart button lol u should think comments through b4 "attacking" a game :]

It's amusing to me that someone who says im 'makin no sense' writes like a drunken 3 year old and refuses to include grammar in what i can only imagine to be a satirical take on chav culture, while putting "attacking" in quotes for some reason.

Karmasb!ch

Antidisestablishmentarian
Reaction score

Blestb;414091 said:
It's amusing to me that someone who says im 'makin no sense' writes like a drunken 3 year old and refuses to include grammar in what i can only imagine to be a satirical take on chav culture, while putting "attacking" in quotes for some reason.

drunken 3 year old eh? i thot i was at least in the range of a drunken teenager :[ but this is not the pt, ur avoiding the topic to try and talk crap to me, obviously u have no understanding of how games work and u sir are retarded, and for ur info, saying words like "makin" and "sayin" r just computer slag that shortens words, if u cant pick up on that, then ur not even worth talking 2......