• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Weird City Names

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Re: Weird City Names

Now that is spelled wrong. I'll probably get it wrong too, but it's more like Titticaca, as I remember. Biggest lake in South America... or something-est lake in South America... I think it's South America, at least.

And yes, infantile little high school students are often very amused by it. See? You're advanced for your age! Freshamanic, Junioric, and Senioric, they all laugh their heads off at it. The idiots. Yes, I do it too. That's how I know doing so is stupid.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Darg;87834 said:
Mmmm... I wouldn't mind a trip to Sandwich, Illinois...:p

That was actually how the sandwich got its name, although it was the sandwich in the UK...

The city I live in doesn't have a weird name, but it was founded by a bloke whos last name was "Batman".

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Hmmm... out of curiosity, where is the Sandwich in the UK? I know the Hawaiian/Hawai'ian Islands were once called the Sandwich Islands, but I was never sure what they were named for. Perhaps that? I know the British ruled the islands before.

H

Hexadecimal

Walker;89650 said:
Hmmm... out of curiosity, where is the Sandwich in the UK? I know the Hawaiian/Hawai'ian Islands were once called the Sandwich Islands, but I was never sure what they were named for. Perhaps that? I know the British ruled the islands before.

they were named the Sandwich Islands after the Earl of Sandwich... I don't know why I know that...

We have
*******, Ontario
Come By Chance, Newfoundland
Dildo, Newfoundland

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Walker;89650 said:

Its in Kent.

About Sandwich, Kent, England, UK

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Cool... yeah, I had heard the Earl of Sandwich thing about sandwiches, but there had to be a place for him to be Earl of. Lemme go read the thingamajig Drakan posted, just for the hell of it... assuming the damn school "block everything" software lets me...

Edit: It did indeed let me go there. Utterly fascinating two paragraphs. Let's all go to the Place of Sand!

Something similar happened to the river in my twon, though-- used to have a little port long, long ago, now you could barely get a kayak in it (apparently there's good fishing, though). The difference is that some of the stuff on ours was caused by anti-flood stuff... some of it. No idea how much, or how long it's been impassable.

H

Hexadecimal

Walker;89663 said:
Cool... yeah, I had heard the Earl of Sandwich thing about sandwiches, but there had to be a place for him to be Earl of.

... the Earl of Sandwich has a place to be Earl of... Sandwich... he's the Earl of Sandwich... o_O

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Yes... you said "they were named the Sandwich Islands after the Earl of Sandwich... I don't know why I know that..."

When I asked about the place Sandwich. I was saying that I knew about the Earl, but wanted to know about the place.

I take it you were saying the islands were named after the Earl? I thought you were saying something about sandwiches being called sandwiches.

H

Hexadecimal

Walker;89681 said:
Yes... you said "they were named the Sandwich Islands after the Earl of Sandwich... I don't know why I know that..."

When I asked about the place Sandwich. I was saying that I knew about the Earl, but wanted to know about the place.

I take it you were saying the islands were named after the Earl? I thought you were saying something about sandwiches being called sandwiches.

no... I said that the Sandwich Islands were named after the Earl of Sandwich because I was talking about the Sandwich Islands... not random sandwiches... I don't refer to sandwiches in general as islands... :rolleyes:

and I only mentioned it to begin with because you said you always wondered where the islands got their name from...

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Walker;89681 said:

Yeah he was, again an English Earl.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Huh??? I'm so confused...

Yeah, I read that but I didn't process it. I even copied and pasted it and didn't notice... blame it on mind-numbing eduamucation and exhaustion.

But, really, he was an English Earl??? I thought he was a Chinese Earl! No, a Zulu Earl! A Dutch Earl! A US Earl! Well, actually, I shouldn't be sarcastic since he could have been: Welsh, Scot, Irish, Spanish, French, and a whole slew of other things (or more than one) but I like sarcasm.

Out of curiosity, though, you KNOW that they were called the Sandwich Islands after the Earl, and not the place? And not because they made a really killer ham-and-cheese there? Or are you just operating on assumption?

H

Hexadecimal

Walker;89750 said:
Out of curiosity, though, you KNOW that they were called the Sandwich Islands after the Earl, and not the place? And not because they made a really killer ham-and-cheese there? Or are you just operating on assumption?

what? o_O
I don't "operate on assumption"... whatever that's supposed to mean :noexpression:
it's a known fact...

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

I just didn't know and I was asking where you knew from. After, all, lots of things are "known facts". Like the "known fact" that going swimming less than thirty minutes after you eat gives you cramps, or the "known fact" that you can get a cold by being cold.

H

Hexadecimal

Walker;89837 said:
I just didn't know and I was asking where you knew from. After, all, lots of things are "known facts". Like the "known fact" that going swimming less than thirty minutes after you eat gives you cramps, or the "known fact" that you can get a cold by being cold.

no... those are not known facts... they are known, but not facts... and I'm not going to debate with you about american islands... I really don't care, you can go look it up ^_^

anyhoo... on topicy topic, here we also have such delightful place names as:

Balls Falls, Ontario
Spread Eagle, Newfoundland
Crotch Lake, Ontario
Fertile, Saskatchewan
Love, Saskatchewan

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

I just went on an 8 hour drive to Canberra (in a truck!!), and driving through the bush I saw a few funny town and creek names. (some might not be obvious at first, but its in the proninciation)

Harden (the town of)
Big Ben Creek
Bowna Creek (as in boner)
Fairy Hole Creek
Wenkes road (as in wan kers)

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Damn. And we had such a good argument going, too. Sorry if I offended-- I was just curious.

However, I've got to say that American-Canadian (well, American-British) bickering over islands goes back a long way. Thousand Islands, anyone?

Oh, and name which is not strange, and actually makes a lot of sense, but which has always annoyed/amused me:

Port Tobacco River/Port Tobacco, MD

M

MadMags

I stumbled across this site via this link 'weird city names'. I have been to Intercourse, Penn. As I remember, it lies between Bird In Hand and Paradise.. pretty funny when you think that this is Amish country. ;) . There is a Lickingsville in Kentucky too. What were the founding fathers thinking of?
I used to live on Chiphouse Road, in Bristol, England too, another rather strange name for a street, I always thought. Apparently years before, there was a house made of wood chips, hence the name.

F

FableFreak

While I'm happy you found our AMAZING website via my thread, it is an extremely old thread and should be left alone.

Post in the other threads at your will, as long as they are not old.

M

MadMags

Left alone? Well.. not being a mind reader, I did not realize that. Perhaps you should lock it then.

F

FableFreak

It's clearly stated in the rules to not bump old threads. You don't need to be a mind reader to understand that,

And I won't bother locking it because it's in the Tavern Cellar.