• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

WHAT??? BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD GAME

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
I don't know about you but I think most gamers have had the experience of liking a game way more than everyone else. I'm not talking about being the biggest Call of Duty fanboy or catching every pokémon. I'm talking about liking a game and being surprised when IGN gives it a 5.0, it sells virtually zero copies, and Yahtzee doesn't even bother reviewing it.

For me that game was Quest 64. The much anticipated game that was supposed to set the bar for RPGs on the Nintendo 64. It was the first 3d game to feature a night/day clock and it had one of the most unique combat/leveling systems I've ever seen. It was my first RPG so I didn't know what was good or bad, I just loved that game. Years later I went back and looked it up and couldn't believe that it wasn't well received. Then I took into account how there was no barter system and the balance between different character builds was horribly broken.
Regardless, there is only one game like Quest 64. I feel that compared to any other game of the genre you're comparing apples and oranges. There's just so much about it that's unique and I hold it dear.

What was the unappreciated game that you loved?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
You can't spell ignorant without IGN.

Take their "reviews" with a grain of salt. Or better yet, don't "take" them at all.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
You can't spell ignorant without IGN.

Take their "reviews" with a grain of salt. Or better yet, don't "take" them at all.
I'd say they're generous. If they're willing to come out and say it's bad, then you know it's bad.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
An opinion is nothing more than just an opinion, paid or not. Which is why I don't get why so many people rely heavily on the score of a game from one person. The only opinion that matters is your own.

I felt (and still do) that Final Fantasy 9 was an excellent game, only to find many people trashing it when it came out.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Funny. It seems that out of the few I've talked to about the various FF games most say 9 is their favorite. 7 comes in second (though I'm sure a worldwide poll would prove otherwise) and 8+10 are around the same.
I enjoyed Final Fantasy 9, but I didn't get very far. I picked it up right after finishing 8 so I was a little FF'd out :(

SPEAKING OF UNDERDOG GAMES
Did any of you play a game called Phantom Dust back in the days of the original Xbox?Strange combination of trading cards and real-time arena battle unlikely to ever be seen again.

Despite getting good reviews (and being a unique game besides) the demand for it was almost nothing.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Well these days I see people praising FF9 up and down, but when it first came out I saw people left and right bashing the game.. calling it a joke because the game didn't take itself seriously and was too goofy for its own good, thus tarnishing the "Final Fantasy" name. Which I wholeheartedly disagree with.

I liked FF8 and FF7, but as good as FF7 is it's way overrated in my opinion.

Never played Phantom Dusk before, but I know of it.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I agree with most of you on FF9 here. It was - and perhaps still is - highly underrated for such a fantastic game. I luvs it so much. <3

FFX-2 aswell. Aye it was pretty crap compared to FFX and other FF titles, but I still enjoyed it.

S'all I can think of really. Now adays I don't really buy any games unless I'm pursuaded by overall positive reviews(excluding Skyrim and few other releases this year and last). So finding hidden gems is a rare occurance for me.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
I agree with most of you on FF9 here. It was - and perhaps still is - highly underrated for such a fantastic game. I luvs it so much. <3

FFX-2 aswell. Aye it was pretty crap compared to FFX and other FF titles, but I still enjoyed it.

S'all I can think of really. Now adays I don't really buy any games unless I'm pursuaded by overall positive reviews(excluding Skyrim and few other releases this year and last). So finding hidden gems is a rare occurance for me.

I actually really enjoyed FFX-2. It wasn't a masterpiece, but who cares? It got a lot of things right. It has one of the best battle systems in the series, imo.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score

The only things I greatly enjoyed about FFX-2 was the battle system and the characters, with the exception of the god awful makeover they gave to Yuna. Hated the story for the game, and the music was okay.. but I didn't find pleasure in the whole Charlie's Angels vibe it had going on.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
SPEAKING OF UNDERDOG GAMES
Did any of you play a game called Phantom Dust back in the days of the original Xbox?Strange combination of trading cards and real-time arena battle unlikely to ever be seen again.

Despite getting good reviews (and being a unique game besides) the demand for it was almost nothing.

YES! I found a random pirated copy in my CD collection once and played it on a whim. Quite an intriguing story/gameplay.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
catching every pokémon.

It's good to know you're always thinking of me.

I'm talking about liking a game and being surprised when IGN gives it a 5.0, it sells virtually zero copies, and Yahtzee doesn't even bother reviewing it.

Well, the games that I love the most tend to be on the more unpopular side (Assassin's Creed and Pokemon pretty much being the only exceptions). Fable 2 and 3 sold fair amounts of copies, but a lot of sh*t flew their way after people started playing them. I guess I'm just looking for something different than most other people when I play Fable. Something similar happened to The Force Unleashed too. The series did receive less criticism than Fable, but people still bashed many aspects of both games when their length was really the only thing I thought could do with some fixing (TFU2 more so than TFU1). Then in addition to that, there are always people who are saying that George Lucas is just milking Star Wars to get more money. Even if that's the case, I don't care because the material they're busting out isn't decreasing in quality in my eyes.

However, my game that has the characteristics Cheez spoke of would be Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2. This game, in my opinion, is the best DBZ game out there. I won't get into why I think it has awesome combat in this thread because I'm pretty sure I've spoken about that at least twice on here before, but this is one of my favorite games. IGN gave it a 5.5, I'm pretty sure it didn't sell that many copies, Yahtzee didn't review it, and pretty much everyone that I talked to about the game that I didn't meet through the game said it sucked. Then a bunch of people turn around and give praise to the next DBZ game, Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi, even though that game turned out to be sh*t aside from its character creator. Un-f*cking-believable.

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
Mine would be Vandal Hearts.

I <3 the **** out of this game, but it didn't get good reviews because it came out a bit after Final Fantasy Tactics, I believe, so everyone expected all Strategy Role-Playing games to be as good as Final Fantasy Tactics; However, this game had such a better story than most other Tactic games I've played for consoles.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
You turds, Final Fantasy VII is the best one.

For me, it's Rayman. A lot of people I know haven't even heard of it but played the likes of Crash and Mario.

KaveX

Witcher
Premium
Reaction score
Sonic the Hedgehog - The one that came out Nov 14, 2006.

I know I'm going to get hate for this.. Two Worlds. Once I got passed its (many) flaws I enjoyed it a lot.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
Modern Warfare, I still laugh at their cliché settings.

White_Howler

Werewolf Sage
Reaction score
Gawd I could spawn a list the size of a continent the amount of games I've loved that received NO love. Lemme list a few with a brief summary.

'Mischief Makers' (N64): A very fun, tongue-in-cheek sci-fi action platformer. It was a very difficult game, involving high mobility combat and platforming, with puzzles and a collection aspect. It was also a very long game and even included a harder difficulty mode once you'd beaten the game 100%. It received little to no review, although the few reviews it DID get gave it an average score. An extremely overlooked gem on a console polluted with terrible games.

'Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space' (Playstation 2): This game got horrid reviews because of it's lack of a narrative (or rather, that the game expected you to know the storylines presented already), and it's 'awful' controls. Granted the controls took some getting used to and the gameplay could have used some polishing, I do believe most people just didn't 'get' space combat. It can be incredibly disorienting especially when you have a squad of 5 or six mobile suits, including an ace pilot, gunning for you WHILE you're trying to break through enemy lines and destroy their carrier. Great game, bad scores.

'Operation Darkness' (Xbox 360): This game is a tactical rpg set in WWII Europe fighting against the Nazi's. You're part of a British Special Ops Squad called the 'Wolf Pack'. It has Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies and magic in it. So you're thinking now 'What's not to like?' Well the Camera is terrible, but workable, and the combat is incredibly unforgiving. Then the graphics look like Gamecube. Seriously. But graphics for me mean nothing in a Srpg. There is no option to take back a movement action OR check for line-of-sight (both of which are nessecary features in a gun-based Srpg), and the balance of the game is kind of bad. You rely on grenades early game, move on to Bazookas, and finally rely almost entirely on special attacks. Despite all of these flaws, I found I really liked this game. The voice acting, while not top notch, is by no means terrible (a japanese option is always welcome). Overall a good game, but it could have been miles better. The worst part? It got 2's and 3's for a score nearly everywhere. It will NEVER have a sequal.

I'd list more, but I don't want to flood this thread with giant walls of text X3

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
Iunno, I don't keep up on the times, and I dunno if any of the games I like are under appreciated. They probably are because I find not enough people I talk to enjoy them as much as I do. and that is as follows:

Jak <-- series
FF9
FFX-2
Crash bandicoot
and Soul Reaver <--- <3

White_Howler

Werewolf Sage
Reaction score
Crash bandicoot was actually widely popular and well received.

Soul Reaver was well received but that whole series isn't very mainstream but rather has a sort of 'cult' following. Great games, great ratings but sadly not popular.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Crash bandicoot was actually widely popular and well received.

Yeah, he was back then, but he's been a major pile of horse manure for the past decade ever since Naughty Dog moved on. Which greatly saddens me cause I loved the old Crash games so damn much.

White_Howler said:
Soul Reaver was well received but that whole series isn't very mainstream but rather has a sort of 'cult' following. Great games, great ratings but sadly not popular.

I remember reading a lot of great things about Soul Reaver, but I kept missing out on it back then due to other games. As of now I've still never played the game before so I don't know anything about the series' lore.