• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why do Lionhead keep ditching all the old regions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
Disappointing though it may be, it is not lazy. They made a whole f--king game for us, you do realize? XD

A whole game? Hardly. They put in a couple of outfits, made all of the weapons look almost identical, they gave us very few quests, being a king was incredibly disappointing as you only decided whether to keep promises and maybe build the occasional outpost out in Aurora. Most of the areas had nothing in them and they kept a lot of it inaccessible. The characters were completely underdeveloped and because of it, there's no way you could have felt an ounce of sympathy for the ones that died. The touch feature consisted of... holding everyone's hand.

Reaction score
A whole game? Hardly. They put in a couple of outfits, made all of the weapons look almost identical, they gave us very few quests, being a king was incredibly disappointing as you only decided whether to keep promises and maybe build the occasional outpost out in Aurora. Most of the areas had nothing in them and they kept a lot of it inaccessible. The characters were completely underdeveloped and because of it, there's no way you could have felt an ounce of sympathy for the ones that died. The touch feature consisted of... holding everyone's hand.

Yeah now that You mention it, I think I speak for most of Us when I say I really expected more. It felt so bloody rushed towards the end.

Tyrannical Duck

Reaction score
I agree with you Arseface (had to double check your name when someone called you that).

I loved Oakfield, and how can you just get rid of the Sandgoose? Bloodstone was OK, I guess. I think Lionhead got lazy with this game but I still enjoy it.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
Yeah now that You mention it, I think I speak for most of Us when I say I really expected more. It felt so bloody rushed towards the end.

Towards the end? The whole game felt rushed and it was. It's becoming commonplace for these companies to push out as many games as they can with as little content as they can so that they can make even more money from the DLC and force us to purchase the "sequels" in order to get the features we should have had in the original. It's sickening and almost makes me ashamed to call myself a gamer.

Tyrannical Duck

Reaction score
Towards the end? The whole game felt rushed and it was. It's becoming commonplace for these companies to push out as many games as they can with as little content as they can so that they can make even more money from the DLC and force us to purchase the "sequels" in order to get the features we should have had in the original. It's sickening and almost makes me ashamed to call myself a gamer.

That's a good point. This game is pretty much Fable 2 with a different quest. But we'll get charged 10 bucks each for the 3 DLCs they release. If they really want to gain some credit, they'll release some free DLC. And not some ****ty weapons, actual quests, or maybe some dogs.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
That's a good point. This game is pretty much Fable 2 with a different quest. But we'll get charged 10 bucks each for the 3 DLCs they release. If they really want to gain some credit, they'll release some free DLC. And not some ****ty weapons, actual quests, or maybe some dogs.

In my eyes? They can never redeem themselves. They're going to repeat everything they did wrong for Fable IV and Fable V and then call it quits. I'm sure there are plenty of other "fans" who will continue purchasing the games but not me. I'll stick with the original Fable and have fun with that instead.

Tyrannical Duck

Reaction score
In my eyes? They can never redeem themselves. They're going to repeat everything they did wrong for Fable IV and Fable V and then call it quits. I'm sure there are plenty of other "fans" who will continue purchasing the games but not me. I'll stick with the original Fable and have fun with that instead.

Yeah I miss being able to walk around town and just blow houses doors and windows off with force push. Having to charge up spells is lame. I'm supposed to be some badass wizard and I gotta stand still for a few minutes to pop off a good spell. I miss the crazy morphing too, horns etc.

Reaction score
Agreed, every time they make a new Fable game it looses a bit more of it's touch, It doesn't even feel like Fable anymore. To be honest I miss the fantasy and magic of Fable 1, those were the days.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
Yeah I miss being able to walk around town and just blow houses doors and windows off with force push. Having to charge up spells is lame. I'm supposed to be some badass wizard and I gotta stand still for a few minutes to pop off a good spell. I miss the crazy morphing too, horns etc.

I agree with that so much. I loved the hell out of the magic system in the original Fable and I thoroughly enjoyed the variety it offered. There were plenty of clothes to fit anyone and everyone and the alignment morphing system was perfect. I mean, the only downside was if you leveled Strength or Skill, you'd turn into the Incredible Hulk or Gumby. Aside from that, it had the most to offer and a great story with excellent boss fights. I don't understand how they could have strayed so far from that and ended up where they are now.

Agreed, every time they make a new Fable game it looses a bit more of it's touch, It doesn't even feel like Fable anymore. To be honest I miss the fantasy and magic of Fable 1, those were the days.

Aye. It lost a great deal of its Fable-ness in the second one but it was still tolerable. Now with Fable III... it's all gone and a massive disappointment. I miss it too...

mourningwaffles

Reaction score
Agreed, I miss Oakfield, Bloodstone, and Westcliff. :( In fact, I miss just having a town where the people are a bit more gruff, carry swords, and fight back at you when you start to slaughter them...:/ The only semi-equivalent I can think of is the Mercenary Camp, but it's definitely not a town, has only men(plus the one female hooker...), and you can't interact with the actual mercenaries. Booo.

Terra_Zeta

Reaction score
I was pretty annoyed when, in Fable II, the only regions that looked remotely similar were the Chamber of Fate (but nowhere else from the guild), and the Oakvale part of Wraithmarsh. Everywhere else is either a different physical location, or just completely different. Rationalising that it's been 500 years, things may have changed, old paths had been grown over, new ones sprung up, not to mention the fact that trying to recreate everything with a new engine would have been more difficult than just creating something new from scratch, I grudgingly accepted it.

Now, with the same engine (albeit a more advanced version), and with only 50 years passed, I was appalled to find out that they've done exactly the same thing. I can't accept the changes. Where have Oakfield, Westcliff and Bloodstone gone? Whole settlements rarely completely dissappear within the course of 50 years, let alone three. And what about all the seemingly ancient structures which seem to have just appeared? Brightwall Academy, the wall itself? Even more baffling is Bowerstone Castle. How does a building, which has apparantly been in continuous use since Fable II, become completely different?

The more I look at Fable as a series, the more I see them as three completely different games, with the exception of their titles. Had Fable's sequels any other connections besides Theresa and their titles, then they would have been much, much more enjoyable games. I used to love Fable, now I just see it as a joke.

P.S. And did they really name a region Mourningwood? Really?

I completely agree with you.

Reaction score
you're right Arseface,it's sad to see that Lionhead think about only money without take care the coherence with the previus fable

silvermaine

Reaction score
Agreed, I miss Oakfield, Bloodstone, and Westcliff. :( In fact, I miss just having a town where the people are a bit more gruff, carry swords, and fight back at you when you start to slaughter them...:/ The only semi-equivalent I can think of is the Mercenary Camp, but it's definitely not a town, has only men(plus the one female hooker...), and you can't interact with the actual mercenaries. Booo.

I wonder if people in the real industrial age said this?

Rudimentree

Reaction score
Ah I don't mind SO much not being able to explore the old areas, it's something I'd LIKE but well, yeah. The one thing I think this game really lacked - and was worse off for it - was at least references to old locations. I wish the previous games, I don't know, mattered more.

Tyrannical Duck

Reaction score
I hope if they make another one, they make a prequel. We can play as William Black or Fable 1's grandfather or something. Scythe and Nostro will be there, etc. I want a game with OTHER heroes. I even kind of miss Thunder.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
I hope if they make another one, they make a prequel. We can play as William Black or Fable 1's grandfather or something. Scythe and Nostro will be there, etc. I want a game with OTHER heroes. I even kind of miss Thunder.

Thunder... *Evil glare*

I KILLED YOUR SISTER BECAUSE YOU WERE A DOUCHEBAGEL!

Sir Robin

The Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot
Reaction score

I hope to Avo you're wrong about that. I guess I'm naive, but I'm still holding onto a faint glimmer of hope that Lionhead will see the error of their ways and go back to making awesome Fable games for the last two installments.

I've also entertained the notion that the incompleteness of Fable III is actually a marketing ploy. Maybe they're setting everyone's expactations low so they can blow us away with Fable IV! Take out features that were tried and true for the last two games so people miss them - that way, when they put the features back in for the next game people won't say, "Psh, an expression wheel again? That's so played out." Instead they'll say things like, "I can choose what expression to use on a villager? Awesome!" Or, I can give people gifts, or use stealth, or fight more than 6 types of enemy, or any of the myriad other options we no longer have? What an improvement!

Of course I'm probably deluding myself and you're probably right. It's just such a shame to see a series that started amazing go downhill. It's still mostly fun, but it just ain't got no soul.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
I hope to Avo you're wrong about that. I guess I'm naive, but I'm still holding onto a faint glimmer of hope that Lionhead will see the error of their ways and go back to making awesome Fable games for the last two installments.

I've also entertained the notion that the incompleteness of Fable III is actually a marketing ploy. Maybe they're setting everyone's expactations low so they can blow us away with Fable IV! Take out features that were tried and true for the last two games so people miss them - that way, when they put the features back in for the next game people won't say, "Psh, an expression wheel again? That's so played out." Instead they'll say things like, "I can choose what expression to use on a villager? Awesome!" Or, I can give people gifts, or use stealth, or fight more than 6 types of enemy, or any of the myriad other options we no longer have? What an improvement!

Of course I'm probably deluding myself and you're probably right. It's just such a shame to see a series that started amazing go downhill. It's still mostly fun, but it just ain't got no soul.

You're a bit too optimistic but I get why you don't want to be as negative as I am. I'm just saddened that these games had so much potential and rather than taking advantage of that, Lionhead took advantage of us. I could stomach Fable II because they did do some things right and it was significantly longer than Fable III and perhaps a tad longer than the original. It had a fairly decent story and it kept a lot of the elements from the previous game while adding in some of its own. Sure, it was a major disappointment to us casters but I got over that when I learned a neat trick involving the Summon spell. It had a decent amount of variety and it introduced the dye system which I thought was incredibly nifty. Plus, it was fun to get into real estate... now it's just a hassle.

If I manage to win the lottery, I'll pick up Fable IV and Fable V but until then, I'm not even going to give Lionhead the time of day.

Sir Robin

The Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot
Reaction score
If I manage to win the lottery, I'll pick up Fable IV and Fable V but until then, I'm not even going to give Lionhead the time of day.

Not even if the reviews say Lionhead has returned Fable to its glory days? I bet you would then... =]

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
Not even if the reviews say Lionhead has returned Fable to its glory days? I bet you would then... =]

I don't listen to reviews/reviewers regardless of how "professional" they may seem. Honestly, their opinions mean squat and most of them come off as either pretentious or idiotic... or both. Need I mention how biased they tend to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.