• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

WTF I JUST JOINED THE ARMY!!

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
WTF I JUST JOINED THE ARMY!!

Well, not quite. I applied as a Riflemen OR a Combat Engineer in the Army Reserves. I've been looking for a job for a long time, and have been feeling negatively to most of the normal office assistant/telemarketer/takeaways stuff, which is pretty much all you can get with an experience level such as mine. I wanted a job that was different, and I saw an ad for the Army Reserve, and I thought to myself, "Self, I think you'd really enjoy being in the Army Reserve."

It's gonna be like Stripes all over again. I'll be Bill Murray.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Re: WTF I JUST JOINED THE ARMY!!

Holy balls...I would never join the army.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think you'll enjoy it?

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Necromancer11;346565 said:
Holy balls...I would never join the army.

I think (and am led to believe) that it will make me a physically stronger (I've been looking to get fit for ages), as well as more confident in myself.

I can only just do the required 15 push-ups and 45 sit-ups required for the physical test. I'm not sure about getting a 7.5 on the shuttle run though.

Pirate X;346568 said:
Good job! You should have applied to be an Infantryman (11B). Or use this to find out what you like.

Well, it's not the U.S. army, so I don't think that would help very much. I applied to be a Rifleman or a Combat Engineer because they were the only jobs that were active combat roles with positions for part time reserves. Since I'm going into University next year (touch wood), I can't meet the requirements of a full time job.

Nikolai

Nikolai/Nikkie/Niko
Reaction score

WITH AN EXTRA 18 MINUTES...
FEATURING 6 DELETED SCENES?!?!?!
-.-
^.^

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

What country do you live in again? As long as you are participating in what you like then :D
I would love to join the Army but would never join the U.S Army at it's current stage.

Cain

Reaction score

Nikolai;346589 said:
WITH AN EXTRA 18 MINUTES...
FEATURING 6 DELETED SCENES?!?!?!
-.-
^.^

Seriously, why? What is the point?

Anyway, @Necromancer a lot of people enjoy being in the army. Theres a risk of dying or injury but you meet people, you get to do the thing you love as theres loads of careers to choose from. It isn't a sergeant shouting at you to do pushups and then you dying in battle the next day. The pushups only happen at boot camp or during some pyshical excersises.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

The White Knight;346598 said:
Anyway, @Necromancer a lot of people enjoy being in the army. Theres a risk of dying.

For some people, like an aquantance of mine who signed up about 3 weeks ago, that is the entire point, indirect suicide while still looking badass.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Arseface;346561 said:
Well, not quite. I applied as a Riflemen OR a Combat Engineer in the Army Reserves. I've been looking for a job for a long time, and have been feeling negatively to most of the normal office assistant/telemarketer/takeaways stuff, which is pretty much all you can get with an experience level such as mine. I wanted a job that was different, and I saw an ad for the Army Reserve, and I thought to myself, "Self, I think you'd really enjoy being in the Army Reserve."

It's gonna be like Stripes all over again. I'll be Bill Murray.

Congrats-- I take it that you're going enlisted, instead of ROTC (if the Aussie army even has a Reserve Officer Training Corps)? I have to say that I approve. I considered joining the Army a few times, but I'd rather go Coast Guard.

And combat engineering has always seemed interesting. Basically you do cosntruction work while getting your ass shot at. Oh, and occasionally clear mines. Plus, the Seabees (CBs/Construction Battalions, US Navy combat engineers, basically) have the best unofficial motto EVER, though it's depressing: First we dig 'em, then we die in' em. PLUS plus, combat engineers get a great mention in Starship Troopers. I don't remember what it said specifically, but it was pretty cool, especially coming from an arrogant Marine Corps-expy Mobile Infantryman

Firis;346591 said:
I would love to join the Army but would never join the U.S Army at it's current stage.

What do you have against the US Army? Do you fear combat, or what? And aren't you 14? It's kinda a moot point.

Firis said:
For some people, like an aquantance of mine who signed up about 3 weeks ago, that is the entire point, indirect suicide while still looking badass.

I really hope that's not true. Something tells me that a guy who's trying to get himself killed is NOT the guy you want next to you holding a rifle. He wouldn't just **** himself over-- he'd **** over whoever he was working with.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

Nope, tisn't the guy you want next to you Walker, but tis true :/

I don't have anything against the U.S Army, I have something against the Current War, n odiscussion please.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Firis;346605 said:
Nope, tisn't the guy you want next to you Walker, but tis true :/

I don't have anything against the U.S Army, I have something against the Current War, n odiscussion please.

No offense, but A) That guy is an asshole. B) Ah... no comment. I think you're kinda missing the point if disagreeing with the reasons for whatever conflicts we're currently involved in is a reason for not joining the military. It's the military's job to go to war or refuse their orders as unjust and spend a couple years at Leavenworth or as illegal, at which point it gets iffy.

EDIT: Incidentally, Arseface, maybe I should already know this-- but are Aussie forces deployed anywhere at the moment?

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

regardless of which branch of the army you signed up for, be wary. if you think that you are safe because you would have to volunteer or be in a certain branch to avoid combat....just know that your superiors may not think the same way.

remember to CYOA (cover your own a**), and make sure you end up where YOU want to be in the army...that you aren't assigned somewhere dangerous for someone elses agenda.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

The White Knight;346598 said:
Anyway, @Necromancer a lot of people enjoy being in the army. Theres a risk of dying or injury but you meet people, you get to do the thing you love as theres loads of careers to choose from. It isn't a sergeant shouting at you to do pushups and then you dying in battle the next day. The pushups only happen at boot camp or during some pyshical excersises.

I realize a lot of people enjoy the army. I'm not just some idiot saying "dude, the army's stupid, why the hell would you join it?" I just stated that I would never join because I would never see myself enjoying it (and also because I already have a career planned out for myself, but that's beside the point). I was just asking him why he thought he would enjoy it because I was curious as to what drew him to the army specifically.

Necromancer11;346565 said:

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

cheezMcNASTY;346611 said:
regardless of which branch of the army you signed up for, be wary. if you think that you are safe because you would have to volunteer or be in a certain branch to avoid combat....just know that your superiors may not think the same way.

remember to CYOA (cover your own a**), and make sure you end up where YOU want to be in the army...that you aren't assigned somewhere dangerous for someone elses agenda.

Yeah. Not that I feel the need to answer for him, but I'm going to anyway. He said he wanted infantry or combat engineering. That's not avoiding combat. Admittedly, combat engineers can also spend lots of time sitting behind the lines building bases or whatever, but their major purpose is to go in very early to start building/repairing roads, bridges, infrastructure, bases, and so on. Plus EOD is usually a engineering specialty, if I remember right.

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score

Australia has an Army?

Cain

Reaction score

Pirate X;346623 said:
So does Iraq.

And that answer is revelant to all of this, how?

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

Walker;346618 said:
Yeah. Not that I feel the need to answer for him, but I'm going to anyway. He said he wanted infantry or combat engineering. That's not avoiding combat. Admittedly, combat engineers can also spend lots of time sitting behind the lines building bases or whatever, but their major purpose is to go in very early to start building/repairing roads, bridges, infrastructure, bases, and so on. Plus EOD is usually a engineering specialty, if I remember right.

thanks for the correction. :)
even though that wasn't my point... be careful that they don't assign you to a place that you don't want to be. an old high school buddy of mine signed up for the national guard and somehow ended up (without volunteering) in Afghanistan.

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score

Pirate X;346623 said:
So does Iraq.

They did.

Republican Guard, we ****ed em up so bad they can't even rebuild their army again! They mostly having security forces, like cops, that follow what our troops do. But they are trying to rebuild the Iraq Army.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

cheezMcNASTY;346640 said:
thanks for the correction. :)
even though that wasn't my point... be careful that they don't assign you to a place that you don't want to be. an old high school buddy of mine signed up for the national guard and somehow ended up (without volunteering) in Afghanistan.

Yeah... that's kinda what happens if you join the military. Once you volunteer to be a soldier, they mostly send you where they need you. No matter what they say, the National Guard IS part of the Army/Air Force. If they need you, you go. Also, if the bureaucracy decides, "hey! Let's send this guy to Afghanistan!" you go, too. Even if, say, you're an expert in veterinary psychology who signed up to train dog teams, they can still decide to make you a rifleman.

Never said the Army was smart.