• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

ZOMG!!!!

Phantom

фңαŋ╦♂М
Reaction score
ZOMG!!!!

LOL! My empty head has finally discovered why Fable II is not as good as TLC!!!! (now don't get me wrong I love Fable II ATM as I have a unique character *Finally* and I've nearly done everything, Gargoyles, Legendary Weapons etc)

It's emotion. I'm sure everyone felt the sadness of the little Oakvale citizen (with cool gloves) as he mourned over his dead father.
We all felt the overwhelming sense of what had just occurred as the boy sat on that Heroes Guild bed, crying, confused.

But in Fable II? The poor little Bowerstone Citizen watched his kind, caring sister who had looked after him as he grew up with no parents, die by a gunshot from some freak, and stood there practically saying "Ar' you gon' shoot me now?"
Same thing happens when he is older and his faithful dog sacrifices himself for the sake of his master to continue living. (which obviously didn't go as planned)

What I'm trying to get to is that, in Fable TLC you are connected to the character you play, feeling the same emotions as he, even if it's just him nodding his head in an odd way as Briar Rose continues to be her stuck up self (Quote "...I hear the kitchens need cleaning though"-Briar Rose)
Where as in Fable II you feel the emotions of all NPC's, but not yourself.

WTF?

Lionhead did such a good way of showing emotions without a single word in 2004, but couldn't do the same for 2008...again...

WTF?

For Fable III I want sadness, joy, hapiness, confusion and everything that makes a good fantasy story excellent.

Ithan

Berserker
Reaction score
Re: ZOMG!!!!

I didn't feel much emotion for the game, except joy, because it was awesome.
Most of the time I hoped every NPC in that game would become cold slabs so I could get down the damn stairs without having to kill them.

S

Scottie

Dude the TLC beginning wasn't original.
1. Lost his family.
2. Attacked by bandits.
3. An older man looks after him.
Now I'm not going to make a list, but isn't the basis of TLC nothing new, and overused? I mean just a little bit?

Fable II's beginning was better by my standards. It really puts you in the shoes of day-to-day Bowerstone life for a street rat. The amount of back story at the beginning was great too.

"For 5 coins we could eat for a week," and Arfur's proposition to make Rose a prostitute in exchange for shelter/food are both prime examples of how Bowerstone is going into a downward spiral.

X

Xeon

Yeah, I think Fable II is more emotional too. You really connect with your dog throughout the game, when you come back from the spire and the little bugger is waiting for you, when he throws himself infront of you and gets shot, I allmost love that dog more than my own. How about when you read Roses diary? It really brings something up in you, reading her most inner thoughts.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score

I don't think games are emotional. If I did, I would have cried on Gears of War 2
when Dom found Maria..
But in any case.. I didn't connect with either of them. When my dog died on Fable 2, I sort of laughed. He was annoying anyway.

Phantom

фңαŋ╦♂М
Reaction score

Zjuggernaut;303896 said:
I don't think games are emotional. If I did, I would have cried on Gears of War 2 when Dom found Maria.. But in any case.. I didn't connect with either of them. When my dog died on Fable 2, I sort of laughed. He was annoying anyway.

hey thanks for ruining gears 2 story for me :(.

Lol anyway yes, you've persuaded me that Fable II uses emotions well. But I think the removal of cinematics ruins it a bit...

X

xweetok33

i think it had emotion but not the same emotion

X

Xeon

Yeah, the lack of cinematics and the camera being so far away from your hero creates some sort of emotional distance.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

TLC was still more fun for some reason... Fable 2 was more your commercial game. I'm not saying Lionhead sold out, because they didn't, but it was along those lines. TLC was just more.... cosy.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score

Phantom;304026 said:
hey thanks for ruining gears 2 story for me :(.

Lol anyway yes, you've persuaded me that Fable II uses emotions well. But I think the removal of cinematics ruins it a bit...

Oh s**t. I'm sorry.

I agree with you there. The use of cinematics during the game would've made it slightly better.

Phantom

фңαŋ╦♂М
Reaction score

Thats right, how do I use spoiler tags?

Ithan

Berserker
Reaction score

Phantom;304284 said:
Thats right, how do I use spoiler tags?

In advanced post mode, click the little black lock on the right side of the typing box.
Or use:
[ SPOILER ]>TEXT HERE<[/ SPOILER ] (Remove the spaces beside spoiler on both sides)

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score

Xeon;304077 said:
Yeah, the lack of cinematics and the camera being so far away from your hero creates some sort of emotional distance.
very ture!, the whole 'sand box' thing is just that... in fable 1/tlc you where a hero every one knew that and every one had respect for you (well most ppl) and in #2 it feels like your just another face in the crowd.

Personally i think its cus the lack of armour (i know knothole island armour is out now but bear with me) in fable 1/tlc you where this armour clad warrior/mage who strutted around town all high and mighty and in #2 you just wear normal clothes makeing you seem less important and 'hero' like

X

Xeon

Yeah, a lot of game studios are experimenting with free roam, open end and sandbox, lets hope it's just a phase.

Phantom

фңαŋ╦♂М
Reaction score

Aions;304323 said:
very ture!, the whole 'sand box' thing is just that... in fable 1/tlc you where a hero every one knew that and every one had respect for you (well most ppl) and in #2 it feels like your just another face in the crowd.

Personally i think its cus the lack of armour (i know knothole island armour is out now but bear with me) in fable 1/tlc you where this armour clad warrior/mage who strutted around town all high and mighty and in #2 you just wear normal clothes makeing you seem less important and 'hero' like

Not really true if you wear costumes like mine (not telling) you stand out from the crowd, but yeah its a bit different from full bright plate armour :p

Yay just found out how to use spoiler tagz!

X

Xeon

My second character looks like a young version of gandalf.. I think I'll call him gandalf the brown.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score

Phantom;304458 said:
Not really true if you wear costumes like mine (not telling) you stand out from the crowd, but yeah its a bit different from full bright plate armour :p

Yay just found out how to use spoiler tagz!
im assuming you look like a fool then...full hobbe costume