• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Any fans of the Total War series?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
With me not being able to game on my 360 currently (no TV in bedroom to play it on) ive been playing some games on my laptop to satisfy my gamer cravings. As my laptop cant run the latest games ive been playing some older titles and looking for game series ive heard good things about but never tried. Been looking for some decent RTS type of games and the Total War series keeps coming up (though not a standard RTS I know). Just wondered if anyone here has played any in the series or if we have any fans of it here and if they could tell me some more about it. I hear its turn based but what does that refer to?

Im used to traditional RTS games like Command & Conquer series, Age Of Empires, Age Of Mythology & Warcraft 3.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
I've never actually played a single one of the games from the Total War series, but all I've ever heard is great things about them. I have three or four of them sitting in my Steam Library, purchased during a Steam sale last year and still untouched, but I'd love to give them a whirl one of these days. The newest one, Shogun 2, is meant to be a right corker.

I think the main reason that I've been putting off playing them is because I've also heard -- and it's just what I've heard -- that they're more aimed at the 'hardcore' RTS gamers; it takes me forever to learn the ins-and-outs of a game nowadays (whether it's an RTS or otherwise), so that's pretty much my only real deterrent: other people destroying me online and my inability to learn how to play. ^_^

Cain

Reaction score
I'm fan of the series
The world map is turn based, the combat is RTS. The games involve diplomacy and developing cities (such as building town halls and farm land) as well as building up your armies. The combat is brilliant and relies on having to use tactics then just superior firepower. You have to use each unit to its strengths, and flanking and ambushes are good tricks to use.
Don't worry about it being too hardcore, the game begins with advisors telling you how each thing works and what to do. They pop up during gameplay to remind you how a certain mechanic works when you click on it (Not very frequently, but enough so you don't forget) so you don't have to worry about learning everything, because the game gives you tips. If you don't want to listen to them, you can turn the advisor feature off.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I've never actually played a single one of the games from the Total War series, but all I've ever heard is great things about them. I have three or four of them sitting in my Steam Library, purchased during a Steam sale last year and still untouched, but I'd love to give them a whirl one of these days. The newest one, Shogun 2, is meant to be a right corker.

I think the main reason that I've been putting off playing them is because I've also heard -- and it's just what I've heard -- that they're more aimed at the 'hardcore' RTS gamers; it takes me forever to learn the ins-and-outs of a game nowadays (whether it's an RTS or otherwise), so that's pretty much my only real deterrent: other people destroying me online and my inability to learn how to play. ^_^

Only reason ive never tried them is they arent traditional RTS games and ive heard about the turn based systems and wasnt sure if that differed too much from the style im used to.

I'm fan of the series
The world map is turn based, the combat is RTS. The games involve diplomacy and developing cities (such as building town halls and farm land) as well as building up your armies. The combat is brilliant and relies on having to use tactics then just superior firepower. You have to use each unit to its strengths, and flanking and ambushes are good tricks to use.
Don't worry about it being too hardcore, the game begins with advisors telling you how each thing works and what to do. They pop up during gameplay to remind you how a certain mechanic works when you click on it (Not very frequently, but enough so you don't forget) so you don't have to worry about learning everything, because the game gives you tips. If you don't want to listen to them, you can turn the advisor feature off.

I wasnt sure if there were any developing of cities in it so thats some new information to me.

Cain

Reaction score
I wasnt sure if there were any developing of cities in it so thats some new information to me.

Oh yeah, you have to keep building new stuff so the population is happy, and so you can gain more income. In Medieval 2, building religious buildings is very important, especially if you're a christian faction, where relations with the pope is a major part of the gameplay.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Oh yeah, you have to keep building new stuff so the population is happy, and so you can gain more income. In Medieval 2, building religious buildings is very important, especially if you're a christian faction, where relations with the pope is a major part of the gameplay.

Im going to download the demo I think and give it a go and see what I think and how it runs. Have you played many in the series? If so which one/ones would you recommend?

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Although he only plays Rome Total War multiplayer, I recommend watching "ClunytheScourge1" RTW commentary videos on Youtube. Those are super fun even for someone who doesn't play the game.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Although he only plays Rome Total War multiplayer, I recommend watching "ClunytheScourge1" RTW commentary videos on Youtube. Those are super fun even for someone who doesn't play the game.

Thanks for the heads up, I shall have a look.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
Im going to download the demo I think and give it a go and see what I think and how it runs. Have you played many in the series? If so which one/ones would you recommend?
Let me know what you think of it, mate. If you take a fancy to it then I can forward you on a digital copy of Rome: Total War Gold Edition on Steam; I was going to use it as a future competition prize but it might make for the perfect introduction to the series, hopefully!

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Let me know what you think of it, mate. If you take a fancy to it then I can forward you on a digital copy of Rome: Total War Gold Edition on Steam; I was going to use it as a future competition prize but it might make for the perfect introduction to the series, hopefully!

Thanks man I appreciate it.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
You already know of my deep love for Shogun: Total War.

Buy it.

Buy it now, I say!

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
You already know of my deep love for Shogun: Total War.

Buy it.

Buy it now, I say!

The engine was used in a documentary series on TV in 2003 called Time Commanders and looked great, that originally gained my interest in the series. The demos are huge too so going to take a while to download. :lol: Just want to get a feel for the games first and then decide, so many titles in the series I wasnt sure where to start but the Shogun style/era does appeal to me. Is it the original or the sequel you preferred?

If anyone else has any other recommendations be they titles in the Total War series or other RTS style games im all ears.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Is it the original or the sequel you preferred?

Well, I've only ever played the original. But from my point of view it's most likely far superior, if one puts the graphics aside. Always a safe bet to go with the original first anyway. ;)

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
Thought of another one: Emperor: Battle for Dune. It's been dead online since, like, 2005, but I've always quite enjoyed it. I've just re-installed it now, as it happens. So far no issues under Windows 7!

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Thought of another one: Emperor: Battle for Dune. It's been dead online since, like, 2005, but I've always quite enjoyed it. I've just re-installed it now, as it happens. So far no issues under Windows 7!

Bought that on release and always thought it was decent, dont know if I sold it though during a huge carboot clear out.

Seven Kingdoms

Not heard of that one I shall have to look into it.

Well, I've only ever played the original. But from my point of view it's most likely far superior, if one puts the graphics aside. Always a safe bet to go with the original first anyway. ;)

Yeah ive always thought it was safer to go with the originals, unless the sequel 'fixes' a lot of the things that didnt quite work in the originals and improved upon them vastly. Dont think my laptop would run the sequel anyway to be honest.

Been thinking about Starcraft II also and seeing what all the fuss is about with that series.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
I love, absolutely love Rome Total War but I can't play it as my laptop is broke. The series as a whole is pretty badass and if you're into TBS's then its for you. I admit I've only played Rome TW not played any others but they do look pretty good.

I had Lotr's Battle For Middle Earth II aswell thats a fairly good RTS. I used to have TBS on the 360 can't remember the name but its by the legendary Sid Meier and if you don't know who that is shame on you!

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I love, absolutely love Rome Total War but I can't play it as my laptop is broke. The series as a whole is pretty badass and if you're into TBS's then its for you. I admit I've only played Rome TW not played any others but they do look pretty good.

I had Lotr's Battle For Middle Earth II aswell thats a fairly good RTS. I used to have TBS on the 360 can't remember the name but its by the legendary Sid Meier and if you don't know who that is shame on you!

Just getting into BFME II and its expansion and they seem a lot better than the original was. Dont worry im well aware of Sid Meier's work though ironically I dont think ive played any of his games after the 80's and always heard good things about Civilisation.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Just getting into BFME II and its expansion and they seem a lot better than the original was. Dont worry im well aware of Sid Meier's work though ironically I dont think ive played any of his games after the 80's and always heard good things about Civilisation.

My fav by sid Meier would have to be the pirate series, I'd love to see a sequel or remake of it, I spend hundreds of hours on sid meier's pirates and fan forums.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Ive read many reviews and took many things into consideration (my limited specs etc) and it seems that Rome: Total War is the perfect place to start. Maybe go from there once ive got my head around it, apparently it features in depth tutorials and is the easiest title to grasp for beginners.