• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anyone think guns were a mistake?

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
Again, longsword and bow guy here, but previous post touched on something I want to emphasize a bit.

With each type of weapon removed, variety was removed. Playing style was removed. Players became less and less unique with each choice removed. In a franchise where being unique is supposed to be one of the central philosophies in the game's design.

Same thing with clothing and armor. If the problem was that everyone was wearing the same armor because it was the best, allow for armor customization rather than doing away with it entirely. Dying clothing was a good idea, but in Fable 3 an awful lot of people went with the same outfit and same colors regardless. I think that might be because there was only one or two decent outfits and the rest were kinda ****. But that's just the superficial part of the problem. Removing armor removes armor dynamics. Resistances and weaknesses. Again, if the problem was that everyone was using the one best set of armor, provide a tradeoff. Make it weak against something. Make it weigh the player down. Do something. Don't just get rid of an important and interesting aspect of play.

So now everyone looks the same, uses the same weapons and wears the same clothes. We're all unique! Not.

Field_Mouse

Reaction score
I do think that guns make it too easy but magic is overpowered too lol

TLC-FTW

Wearer of Jack's Mask
Reaction score
I don't like Fable III whatsoever. When I think of "Fable" I think of a great fantasy game that is the only real competitor with the Elder Scrolls Series. Fable II was really cutting it and now Fable III is more like a Revolutionary War RPG. Elder Scrolls has definately won the battle. I wish Fable had just stuck to their original time setting.

Guns weren't the problem. The era itself was.

Fable and TLC are the only two games in the series that can beat, or even combat the Elder Scrolls.

MaxHavok

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm alone here, but I think that guns were a huge mistake by Lionhead. Does anybody else think the game would have been alot better if they had just stuck with swords, bows and magic?

i honestly dont mind the bows..guns seem a little out of place but whatever....what ruins the game is what they did to the spells.....one of my favorite parts of the game was the summon spell that evolved depending on what ur summon killed..that was epic..now its a very short lived summon dead spell...and the swords used to hover around you now its just another direct/aoe spells no different from any of the rest...its making me physically ill...time control is the only spell they improved on because its dash now..but then again im almost positive that they had a dash spell in the original...did new people design this game or were they drunk....im about to just trash this game and replay fable 1....already bought fable 3 and not even sure im going to play it now.... :mad:

MaxHavok

Reaction score
I think the opposite of you, fable needs will, bows, magic, get rid of guns, if lionhead did what you wanted fable would a terrible game

did you even play the original game??? fable is centered on magic......you sir are an eeediot!! not sure they should have added ranged weapons at all...they are going to sacrifice half their original audience to pick up a quarter of the gun game fans...not that i dont like gun games..just played through modern warfare again...but this isnt a gun game....magic adventure games are fun and gun games are fun but never the two should meet :pirate: aaarrrrggg!