• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ask The Staff 'Anything'

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
To all of the staff: if you were (and had) to choose one language to learn about fluently, which one would it be - Italian, French, Latin, German, Dutch, or Arabic?
Arabic. Srsly. With the people I know I'd find it a far more useful language than any of the others listed.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
To all of the staff: if you were (and had) to choose one language to learn about fluently, which one would it be - Italian, French, Latin, German, Dutch, or Arabic?

Probably Italian but German would be good for those angry situations where English just wouldnt cut it.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Dutch! Oh, wait... :troll:

Well, even though I'm not staff, I'd have to agree with them: Italian.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
So, why are all those languages almost completely useless for your average American?

... not entirely true, obviously. We have some Francophones 'round here and if nothing else Arabic is useful if you want to get a job with the military. But the others? What's the use? I mean, OBVIOUSLY Italian is good for hitting on pretty little Italian girls, Gikoku, but ASIDE from that.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score

So, why are all those languages almost completely useless for your average American?

... not entirely true, obviously. We have some Francophones 'round here and if nothing else Arabic is useful if you want to get a job with the military. But the others? What's the use? I mean, OBVIOUSLY Italian is good for hitting on pretty little Italian girls, Gikoku, but ASIDE from that.

:'(

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Probably Italian but German would be good for those angry situations where English just wouldnt cut it.

Everybody knows spanish is the language of angry profanity, every movie says so. Still I do swear in german when I mess up...

*Trips over pavement* Scheiße!

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Don't worry man, chatting up pretty little Dutch girls is good too. I've always had a thing for wooden-shoed dykes.

(Note: I really wanted to fit in the windmills somewhere, but couldn't. Maybe something about pumping? I don't actually know what all the windmills are supposed to be for.)

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Swearing in Arabic is pretty cool too - first words I learnt in Arabic were curse words and then it was counting up to twenty (I have no idea why I bothered with that) and then it was the words to songs on Asian TV shows.

Urdu and Punjabi are pretty good too for excellent-sounding profanity. Or even just talking about someone in a not-so-subtle way because there just aren't words in the language to cover everything you're discussing so whoever it is gets a hint that you're talking about them and it probably ain't nice.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
I'm a fan of German and Russian cursing, if I am feeling nerdy... Mandarin Chinese.

Arld

WTB Deus Ex 3
Reaction score
But the others? What's the use? I mean, OBVIOUSLY Italian is good for hitting on pretty little Italian girls, Gikoku, but ASIDE from that.
To be fairly honest, there are plenty of reasons for choosing one of said languages. Italian, being a prime example, could be perfect for classical music as study.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I don't have any interests in becoming a tenor, so I only plan to use Italian just so I can whisper cooking ingredients into her ear in said language.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Italian: It's sexy and cool.
French: Romantic, however stupid.
Latin: One word: Archeology.
German: Sounds angry and is close to Dutch.
Dutch: Totally biased, so I don't know.
Arabic: From right to left.

Also, I'd like to ask a general question: What is it with American television and the Dutch? It seems that some comedy series love making references to 'em, be it positive, negative, or just plain weird.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Also, I'd like to ask a general question: What is it with American television and the Dutch? It seems that some comedy series love making references to 'em, be it positive, negative, or just plain weird.

Say whaaaat?

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
To be fairly honest, there are plenty of reasons for choosing one of said languages. Italian, being a prime example, could be perfect for classical music as study.

Dude. That assumes that classical music is actually a useful pursuit itself.

I don't have any interests in becoming a tenor, so I only plan to use Italian just so I can whisper cooking ingredients into her ear in said language.

So long as they're the right Italian cooking ingredients. I once got bitched at (not by my girlfriend, sadly) for suggesting frozen Italian food. Apparently that's not really Italian?

Doesn't seem that way to me. But then, I am the guy who just made the sarcastic comment including every known Dutch stereotype, so... maybe?

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Doesn't seem that way to me. But then, I am the guy who just made the sarcastic comment including every known Dutch stereotype, so... maybe?
Well, I've seen it in Friends, Chuck, Better off Ted and the Simpsons, at least. Probably more. Oh well... On a related note; Stereotypes are fun.

Arld

WTB Deus Ex 3
Reaction score
Italian: It's sexy and cool.
French: Romantic, however stupid.
Latin: One word: Archeology.
German: Sounds angry and is close to Dutch.
Dutch: Totally biased, so I don't know.
Arabic: From right to left.
Why do you say French is stupid? What makes you think that?

Dude. That assumes that classical music is actually a useful pursuit itself.
What makes you think it isn't? It's a very useful pursuit if you know you have talent in regards to said subject.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
To all staff who are familiar with the Game of Thrones universe.

Regardless of your innocence or guilt, a trial has decided to condemn you to death.
You are presented with the alternative option of taking the black and spending the rest of your days at the Wall as a brother of the Night's Watch.

Which do you choose?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
To all staff who are familiar with the Game of Thrones universe.

Regardless of your innocence or guilt, a trial has decided to condemn you to death.
You are presented with the alternative option of taking the black and spending the rest of your days at the Wall as a brother of the Night's Watch.

Which do you choose?

Id go for the night watch and decide my own fate rather than have someone decide it for me.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Why do you say French is stupid? What makes you think that?

As one who has studied French, I've got to say French is stupid for a number of reasons, most of which involving grammatical rules. Such as how everything is either masculine(le) or feminine(la). Depending on this imaginary gender of an object, the grammatical rules changes.

Beautiful language, but alien and complicated.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Snarf...