• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Chick-fil-a!

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Let's have a political argument!

If you're on Facebook in America, you've heard of this. Chick-fil-a is as conservative and Christian as ****, donates to groups that oppose gay marriage, and their president recently came out and opposed it in some interviews. So people started talking about boycotts and protests and suchlike.

Other people, who either love Chick-fil-a or disapprove of gay marriage, have been going, depending on how dickish they are "eat ALL the Chick-fil-a!" or "YOU CAN'T PROTEST CHICK-FIL-A YOU NARROW MINDED BIGOTS IT'S THEIR FREE SPEECH TO NOT LIKE GAY MARRIAGE."

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here going... um, I don't really care about gay marriage, think it should be legal, but I am a former "pious-as-**** gayness-is-a-sin" type. And Chick-fil-a is DELICIOUS.

So basically, I'm going to keep eating it, but I think the people running Chick-fil-a are dipshits, and the people saying the people protesting Chick-fil-a are bigots trying to violate Chick-fil-a's right to free speech are, in fact, ****ing retarded.

EXPLANATION FOR THE FOREIGN: Chick-fil-a is a restaurant, started in Georgia. Went from a restaurant, to a staple of mall food courts, to a fast-food giant. They are known for their tasty, tasty chicken; their fast, painfully polite service; and their extremely conservative, Christian owners/corporate culture*.

*They close on Sundays, they pray at company meetings, occasionally get accused of being a hostile work environment for atheists and non-Christians. Donate to extremely conservative, Christian groups and run their own extremely conservative, Christian charitable foundation.

I think they're currently expanding their fast food operations, like, everywhere in the US.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Your post would make so much more sense if Chick-fil-a was slang for vagina. Anyhow, my views on matters like this is as following:

"My right to throw punches ends at your face."

This restaurant chain is free to believe what they want, no matter how bigoted and idiotic it may be. It is their freedom to do so. However, once they start landing these proverbial punches in someone's face, i.e donating and actively working to limit homosexual couples right to marry, they are crossing the line because they are impeding someone elses' freedom.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Well, the thing is, that's totally legitimate. I mean, it might not be morally correct, but it is their right to argue that political slant. Same as people had the right to argue that segregation and anti-miscegnation laws were legitimate. They were wrong and disgusting, but they could do it.

Meanwhile, people who don't agree with them MORE than have the right to say "**** that, I'm not eating your goddamn chicken. If I go to KFC, my money doesn't go to causes I don't believe in."

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Just because it is allowed doesn't make it right. As I said, I believe you're free to do whatever the hell you want as long as you don't have a negative impact on someone elses' freedom. You called it political slant, which is interesting. Pretty damn wrong that you can turn religion into politics, and then use it as an excuse to want to limited the freedom of a group of people - in the so-called Land of The Free, which has it written that Jesus should stay out of politics in the founding document of said Land of The Free! The hypocrisy and wrongness never ceases to amaze me, both in your country and in mine.

P.S I'd kill for a chicken chain here in Sweden, even if it was uber-Christian. Srsly.

P.P.S Chick-fil-a is a horrible name. Right up there with Fat Hoe Burger.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Well, yeah. That's my point. And politics is always religion once you get into social issues. We don't have an established church, but people's religions still influence their political beliefs. It's just that in this case the entirety of the belief is based on the religion.

And the Constitution, awesome as it is, doesn't actually say Jesus should stay out of politics. It just says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a
redress​
of grievances."​

And yeah, we don't always live up to the American ideal/ideal America. Case in point, the racial history of the country from about the 16/1700s to the '80s.

Want a Chick-fil-a? I'm sure they'd let you start one if you offered enough money... Or maybe not. Do you really not have KFC or anything like that?

Why do you say that? Chick-fil-a... as in chicken filet? Doesn't sound depraved to ME.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Isn't that exactly what it says? Maybe I am misinterpreting the ye olde English here, but to me it sounds like "Congress shall make no laws in accordance to religion"? Wouldn't outlawing gay marriage because a few lines in the Bible fall very much under that?

As for the name:

Chick-fil-a.

Fill a chick or chick filler.

With your wang.

Y'know, the old "in-out, in-out."

And no, we don't have a chicken-exclusive fast food chain. We've got mostly burger chains who offer chicken on the side á la chicken nuggets and chicken burgers.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
P.S I'd kill for a chicken chain here in Sweden, even if it was uber-Christian. Srsly.

P.P.S Chick-fil-a is a horrible name. Right up there with Fat Hoe Burger.

Touche

on both accounts

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Oooooh. No, sorry. This is about an "Established church" as in a state church. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_religion I did a little Wikiing. You know how you had an official "Church of Sweden" up until recently? That was a no-no under the Constitution, because we always had all these different branches of Christianity. You could worship however you wanted. But a literal interpretation of the document doesn't say that religion can't be involved in politics.

Of course, when you get into interpretations, the mass of judicial decisions and precedents basically says "GOD GTFO THE STATE." The problem being that, even with that, there've still been times when we had laws forcing businesses to close on Sundays and stuff like that. Religion has been in our politics even if it's out of our state. If that makes sense. And there was that thing in the fifties where they added "under god" to the pledge of allegiance. Stuff like that is ALL religion up in our politics.

Bahahaha. I see now. Okay, that does sound ****ed up.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Please, don't remind me. I'm even paying Church tax(or was when I had a f-ing job), because if I don't I don't get to be married in church or a nice grave when I die.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Please, don't remind me. I'm even paying Church tax(or was when I had a f-ing job), because if I don't I don't get to be married in church or a nice grave when I die.

You don't have to go to Sunday school for that? And be baptized of course.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Which is why we have that establishment clause. The Jews and Catholics and Presbyterians wouldn't've wanted to pay taxes to support, say the Lutherans. And very few states had a majority of one church. Towns did, counties did, there were religious communities. But even then, the next town over might be some whacko Baptists or the Amish or, I don't know, Eastern Orthodox*.

And that's ****ed up. 'Round here a church or a cemetery can set their requirements to get married/buried there/by them, but you're going to be paying for that ****. Ain't no taxes helping you out.

*Maybe not that last one. I think they mostly immigrated to cities later.

EDIT: And Rotid, I don't know about the Swedes, but around here it depends. My brother was married by his wife's family's pastor. No Sunday school or baptism, but they had to go to pre-marriage counseling.

EDIT2: Wikipedia says I'm a damn liar, and there are states that had established churches, which I would have known if I'd thought about it. But not anymore. The Constitution also forbids any religious test or requirement to hold office.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
Well, Walker, when someone starts stomping all over your rights, telling you that your lifestyle is sinful and telling you who you can cannot marry then maybe you'll start singing a different tune.

I for one, am going to miss their chocolate shakes. ****ing best thing ever, but I have my standards, and Chik-fil-a has disappointed me. If I have to go eat somewhere else in protest, I will. Simple.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I liek chicken

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Well, Walker, when someone starts stomping all over your rights, telling you that your lifestyle is sinful and telling you who you can cannot marry then maybe you'll start singing a different tune.

I for one, am going to miss their chocolate shakes. f****** best thing ever, but I have my standards, and Chik-fil-a has disappointed me. If I have to go eat somewhere else in protest, I will. Simple.

Yup. Truett Cathy's boy is kind a dick isn't he? But I fall into the "don't care enough to start a protest" category.

EDIT: Though, you know what annoys me worse than them? Stupid **** like this:

378208_478739078803674_1587571922_n.jpg

I liek chicken

Funny you should say that.

eat-more-chicken.jpg

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I heard that the Muppets have come out saying they refuse to do any more promotional deals with Chick-fil-a if they continue to hold this policy.

That's right, not even Fozzie Bear wants your chicken now.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
You don't have to go to Sunday school for that? And be baptized of course.

As long as you're paying church tax you're an "official member" of the Swedish Church and get to use their churches and graveyards.

Money talks, commitment doesn't.

I for one, am going to miss their chocolate shakes. f****** best thing ever, but I have my standards, and Chik-fil-a has disappointed me. If I have to go eat somewhere else in protest, I will. Simple.

Because I like you, I'll join your protest, Ty. I'll never eat on a Chick-fil-a ever again!

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
I heard that the Muppets have come out saying they refuse to do any more promotional deals with Chick-fil-a if they continue to hold this policy.

That's right, not even Fozzie Bear wants your chicken now.

The way I heard it, the Henson Company said that they weren't going to work with Chick-fil-a anymore.

The day before that, Chick-fil-a issued a voluntary recall on some kid's meal toys, claiming there was a safety issue. People said, "oh, you made them recall the toys" to Henson, who basically said "ask Chick-fil-a."

Anyway, I think that's awesome because Jim Henson and the Muppets are all pimping. At least partially because us Terps have to stick together.

Because I like you, I'll join your protest, Ty. I'll never eat on a Chick-fil-a ever again!

That's what I love about Tsuyu. Never afraid to take a courageous stand.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Tsuyu just trollin' ya'll. There ain't no Chick-a-flick in Sweden to boycott.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Rotid likes to explain the joke.

Also, if anyone wants to go argue with some right-wing CHICK-FIL-A IS RIGHT-ers, feel free to come on over here and add to the opposing voices. GATECRASH THE CALIFORNIA GUN NUTS! (Hey, maybe we'll run into FableFreak's alter ego.)

I got bored and decided to argue with people on the internet instead of being productive.