• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dynamic capes: A lucky discovery

nicomon

Why?
Reaction score
Dynamic capes: A lucky discovery

15-03-2010111148PM.jpg

Did you see the picture above? Did you believe the cape was dynamic? Well, it is.
It started a few days ago, when I was looking through the graphics.big, and saw a model with a cape. I decided to make it a piece of armour, and this became the early tests.
13-03-201014618PM.jpg
And a proof of it being dynamic:
13-03-201014557PM.jpg
Later, after having given up on making a dynamic cape, I was messing around with NPC clothing, trying to get it to work without a model switch, or any modeling at all. The answer was alpha textures, as seen in these screenshots:
15-03-201091511PM.jpg

15-03-201094236PM.jpg
It wasn't until after I posted those last two screenshots on Fabletlcmod.com that I realized I could use the alpha textures to hide the rest of the model that had the dynamic cape, and use the CAppearanceModifierDef to put it on a separate piece of armour. The result was the picture at the top of this thread. And here it is again:
15-03-2010111148PM.jpg
And a slightly different one, as proof that it is dynamic:
15-03-2010111151PM.jpg

I hope all you modders have fun with this discovery, and here is the file, with normal, dark, and light plate armour with capes, as well as a caped platinum armour.

EDIT: Added fix for loading bug. Load the fix first, then load up the normal one after. That should make it work.
EDIT 2:If that still doesn't work, then close FE and load up the normal FMP again without the fix, and it should work this time. If it doesn't, then I have no clue what to do, as this is where it worked for me.

Silent420

Proud Progressive
Premium
Reaction score
Re: Dynamic capes: A lucky discovery

Thats amazing dude, +rep.

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score

+rep to you, great discovery.

nicomon

Why?
Reaction score

By the way, What pieces of clothing/armour do you suggest I put the cape on for the mod?

nicomon

Why?
Reaction score

I know I shouldn't double post, but could someone who is able please move this to the "Fable Mods (Releases)" section?

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

You should use the edit button, but at least you know it is bad. And I don't know if the mods venture into this subforum too often, so it might be awhile.

nicomon

Why?
Reaction score

I was trying to make it easier to notice by adding new posts.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

But there really isn't a need to bump a fairly new thread. Just sayin'.

cj-chris

Cookie Monster
Reaction score

Good Find + REP
Think you could add something like that to the assasins clothes?

nicomon

Why?
Reaction score

Sure. It just depends on whether you're thinking assassin's creed kinda thing or not, because if you are I think it would be better to put it on a recoloured apprentice shirt.

cj-chris

Cookie Monster
Reaction score

Na i was thinking normal cape with templar or masonry symbols i will ave a go at doin assasins creed tho

nicomon

Why?
Reaction score

K guys, I added a fix to it, as it was having problems.

cj-chris

Cookie Monster
Reaction score

Might be worth postin a tutorial then other modders can use it to create new things

cj-chris

Cookie Monster
Reaction score

I said might be worth adding a tutorial as I'm guessing the tutorials mentioned aren't involving capes however I will look at them. Also take note that those that are inexperianced will either find it useful to have a tutorial within this thread or links to other tutorials. Just a matter of perspective don't always jump the gun at posts.

cj-chris

Cookie Monster
Reaction score

I have read the stickies one of the first things you kind of do before altering your game files. However in this post I misread where he found the cape file in FE.
Oh and I found a way for vista users to not have to alter their game files permenantly not sure if you would think it would be worthwhile to post or not

nicomon

Why?
Reaction score

If it somehow allows them to be able to change their game files back to normal without backups or reinstalling, then please share, as I'm sure a lot of people would like to know.

cj-chris

Cookie Monster
Reaction score

I will share it I just need to look into it a bit more I will post later tonight it doesn't change the gamefiles at all just uses the temporary files built in FE it is only useable to my knowledge by vista users I will be checking my xp comp before post

Mortull

Reaction score

Hey, that's a really cool discovery. Thanks for sharing it with us all. Now to get reading those tutorials so's I can start putting badass capes on everything!

Actually, maybe that wouldn't be a good idea, I'd probably need to restore my files about twenty times before I finally got it right.