• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

EA are scrapping online passes

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
173358-ea-sports-online-pass_header.jpg

An EA executive confirmed recently that none of the new titles by EA are going to need an online pass. EA senior director of corporate communications John Reseburg had the following to say about it:
''Yes we're discontinuing Online Pass & none of our new titles will include that feature. Initially they were launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services, however many players didn't respond to the format. We've listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward."
However EA arent the only company to have used online passes as both Ubisoft and Sony have also used them for titles including Far Cry 3 and Starhawk so could they be coming to an end for everyone?

Aniratak

Reaction score
This makes me HAPPY! Very happy! Even though I didn't have any problems with Sim City, it still sucked knowing this might be the future of games.. And with the Xbox "always online" rumors as well... Good to see those rumors might be false. I think they intended the consol to be always online, but after all the fuzz they decided to drop it, and that they are holding back the info as sort of a PR-stunt. The more people are angry about rumors, the more fuzz it will be may 21. when people find out it wasn't true after all.. Free publicity. "Always online" would perhaps fit better with future consolles when internet conections are more stabile and avalible everywhere.

Also...I hope that game-companies in the end will understand that MMO's are not the future in the gaming industry. It's a part of it yes, but not something every game should be turned into. Things always progress in the gaming community, but not all changes are good and should be permanent. "Single player" is not a mode that needs improvement. Single player games is the essence of game-playing because in the end thats what games are for.. You can step into a different universe and make it your own. This "social" gaming is something you can choose to do if you want, but it does not fit all games /gamers. Games are not the same as Twitter or Facebook. Though lately I feel that game-creators have tried to jump the social networking-trend. In alot of cases I think this will just backfire. A big company from my home country almost went bankrupt due to an MMO game they spent years on. Almost all the staff were fired in the end and now they don't have any money for new projects I think.. Sad.. If they had just made it a single player game instead it would be a huge success!

Sorry for the long speech.. I'm just a bit anxious about a possible Fable MMO/single player announcement.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
How does this affect the other stupid DRM like "always on" and whatnot? I've stopped buying games with these things ages ago.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
How does this affect the other stupid DRM like "always on" and whatnot? I've stopped buying games with these things ages ago.

It doesn't. I'm pretty sure this is just a PR stunt by EA.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
Oh thank god. Now I can buy pre-owned games a few months down the line and not have to worry about the ability to play online.. EA finally did something right.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well EA had also stated lately that The Sims 4 wont feature the always online DRM & will be fully playable single player offline so they dont repeat the SimCity trainwreck. So they have made steps in the right direction at least.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with DRM models, not really. Only when it effects the single player experience.

EA's system was abysmal.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with DRM models, not really. Only when it effects the single player experience.

EA's system was abysmal.

Agreed, it was plain stupid and I cant believe that they didnt see the issues arising before it happened.