• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fav. Album of 2011

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
The way that cheez is talking about "marketing" music like it's what musicians should do is what's wrong with the music industry. Just play music you like, build up a following of people who like that music. You'll evolve musically, like anything, and your fans might not like that. **** them. It's not about them. Miles Davis didn't give a **** what his "fans" thought, and he pushed musical boundaries lightyears because of it. I don't really like a lot of his music, but he'll always be my hero for what he did constantly for about 50 years: Innovate.

Of course that doesn't just apply to Miles. He's just the one that sticks out for me.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
The way that cheez is talking about "marketing" music like it's what musicians should do is what's wrong with the music industry. Just play music you like, build up a following of people who like that music. You'll evolve musically, like anything, and your fans might not like that. f*** them. It's not about them. Miles Davis didn't give a f*** what his "fans" thought, and he pushed musical boundaries lightyears because of it. I don't really like a lot of his music, but he'll always be my hero for what he did constantly for about 50 years: Innovate.

Of course that doesn't just apply to Miles. He's just the one that sticks out for me.
This, that and those.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Screw both you guys. The band isn't a wonder of musical genius and exploration nor will they ever be. Seriously guys? They were a ****ing pop sensation, not Nirvana 2.0. Don't either of you go degrading me into being "the problem with the music industry" because I think a band is heading in the wrong direction. Simple fact is, they are. Blink 182 was ALWAYS about marketing their music. They aren't heading in a new direction or starting the next chapter in their musical journey.
Trends have changed since they were big stars and they've lost touch with their market. They're new material, despite having a different sound, is thematically identical to the older (a little less toilet humor but mostly the same). We're talking about something that will and already has alienated a lot of fans.
Their talent as musicians is exactly where it always was. They aren't out to write what's meaningful to them. The adolescent themes of their songs are the same as when they started which speaks volumes to my point.

Next time rather than trying to paint the world of corporately marketed music with my face (I'm not the one who played the Honda Civic Music Tour this summer), save your judging for a band where it actually applies.
Both of you.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
Screw both you guys. The band isn't a wonder of musical genius and exploration nor will they ever be. Seriously guys? They were a f****** pop sensation, not Nirvana 2.0. Don't either of you go degrading me into being "the problem with the music industry" because I think a band is heading in the wrong direction. Simple fact is, they are. Blink 182 was ALWAYS about marketing their music. They aren't heading in a new direction or starting the next chapter in their musical journey.
Trends have changed since they were big stars and they've lost touch with their market. They're new material, despite having a different sound, is thematically identical to the older (a little less toilet humor but mostly the same). We're talking about something that will and already has alienated a lot of fans.
Their talent as musicians is exactly where it always was. They aren't out to write what's meaningful to them. The adolescent themes of their songs are the same as when they started which speaks volumes to my point.

Next time rather than trying to paint world of corporate marketed music with my face (I'm not the one who played the Honda Civic Music Tour this summer), save your judging for a band where it actually applies.
Both of you.

Woah dude, I wasn't trying to offend you. I'm just saying that the idea of marketing music is a bad idea. The fact that Blink has always marketed their music dosen't make it a good thing. My point is that music shouldn't be about appealing to fans, it should be about the art.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Screw both you guys. The band isn't a wonder of musical genius and exploration nor will they ever be. Seriously guys? They were a f****** pop sensation, not Nirvana 2.0. Don't either of you go degrading me into being "the problem with the music industry" because I think a band is heading in the wrong direction. Simple fact is, they are. Blink 182 was ALWAYS about marketing their music. They aren't heading in a new direction or starting the next chapter in their musical journey.

Next time rather than trying to paint the world of corporately marketed music with my face (I'm not the one who played the Honda Civic Music Tour this summer), save your judging for a band where it actually applies.
Both of you.
It's not about painting you as the face of of marketed music. It's abouy you bitching what other people should do. When I make music and someone says ''Don't do that, you'll lose your fans!'', I'll just say ''I'll be whatever I wanna do!'' (Yes, Futurama). Point is, musicians should decide for themselves what to play. Even if it makes them lose fans. Because, y'know what, it's not about the fans. If there just appear that people like your stuff, well that's great! But the art of creating music is not done in mind with what the fans like. Of course, there are also people who actually do it for the money, that way... Well f**k 'em.

I'm sorry if I may come off too strong, but it's the internet, ey. <3<3<3

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaand on topic: my favourite album of this year has been Passion: Here For You. No one here will have heard of it and if you have, you probably won't like it. But I love it :)

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Woah dude, I wasn't trying to offend you. I'm just saying that the idea of marketing music is a bad idea. The fact that Blink has always marketed their music dosen't make it a good thing. My point is that music shouldn't be about appealing to fans, it should be about the art.
It's not about painting you as the face of of marketed music. It's abouy you bitching what other people should do. When I make music and someone says ''Don't do that, you'll lose your fans!'', I'll just say ''I'll be whatever I wanna do!'' (Yes, Futurama). Point is, musicians should decide for themselves what to play. Even if it makes them lose fans. Because, y'know what, it's not about the fans. If there just appear that people like your stuff, well that's great! But the art of creating music is not done in mind with what the fans like. Of course, there are also people who actually do it for the money, that way... Well f**k 'em.

I'm sorry if I may come off too strong, but it's the internet, ey. <3<3<3
Buy and large I agree but I don't feel it applies in this case. Point remains: this is Blink 182.
No amount of generalizing is going to change that.

I'd actually like to quote someone here. Director of Nightmare on Elm St. did an interview a while back and he was asked (more or less)
"A lot of people call you a sell out for making film after film, do you feel like one?
*laughs* Making movies isn't about money? When did that happen?"

As much as I agree with you on the morals and such, they are out to make a living.
There are only morals in that corporate sense when the audience demands it. Hence consumerist music making.

Also I wouldn't worry about offending me.
I don't get offended often and when I do I don't hold any grudges.
Don't feel the need to pull any punches on my account.

On topic footnote: Black Keys album is out Sunday and I can't wait.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Buy and large I agree but I don't feel it applies in this case. Point remains: this is Blink 182.

I'd actually like to quote someone here. Director of Nightmare on Elm St. did an interview a while back and he was asked (more or less)
"A lot of people call you a sell out for making film after film, do you feel like one?

As much as I agree with you on the morals and such, they are out to make a living.
There are only morals in that corporate sense when the audience demands it. Hence consumerist music making.

Even if they are in it to make money, you shouldn't tell them what to do. That's the point of creativity. If they wanna make money, they can do it however they want ;).

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

There's been plenty of musicians who have been in it for the art, and gotten rich as **** from it.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
There's been plenty of musicians who have been in it for the art, and gotten rich as f*** from it.

And then get called sell outs just because they get rich.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
And then get called sell outs just because they get rich.

People are only sell outs if they do what cheez is telling Blink to do.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
People are only sell outs if they do what cheez is saying Blink have already done.
fixed*

There are bands like those you mentioned but there are others that use it as a marketing point.
Ever see Almost Famous? It's based on the writers personal experiences with one if not numerous bands (I'm pretty sure Pearl Jam was one in this case).

All famous bands capitalize on their creativity. It's the name of the game.
What you two are obsessing about is whether their mindset is geared more towards their creative process or how much money they'll make from it. I'd be shocked to learn that all bands don't incorporate both to a degree.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
fixed*

There are bands like those you mentioned but there are others that use it as a marketing point.
Ever see Almost Famous? It's based on the writers personal experiences with one if not numerous bands (I'm pretty sure Pearl Jam was one in this case).

All famous bands capitalize on their creativity. It's the name of the game.
What you two are obsessing about is whether their mindset is geared more towards their creative process or how much money they'll make from it. I'd be shocked to learn that all bands don't incorporate both to a degree.
Either, it's about their mindset. Not yours.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
They aren't out to write what's meaningful to them. The adolescent themes of their songs are the same as when they started which speaks volumes to my point.

What? Blink have wrote "meaningful" songs since '99 as far as I remember. Stay Together For The Kids, Tom and Mark's parents are divorced.. Adam's Song.. There's a list. Their newest album isn't very "we're a rebellious pop punk band and we're only 20", although it isn't an inspirational album about real life.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
EDIT: Black Keys' El Camino album of the year.

Either, it's about their mindset. Not yours.
They have a right to do what they want, I have a right to say what I think of it.
You have a right to watch me and shake your head, so carry on.

What? Blink have wrote "meaningful" songs since '99 as far as I remember. Stay Together For The Kids, Tom and Mark's parents are divorced.. Adam's Song.. There's a list. Their newest album isn't very "we're a rebellious pop punk band and we're only 20", although it isn't an inspirational album about real life.
Fair point. Not all of their songs are that way.