• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Favourite Bad guy.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
Frankenstein's Monster isn't a bad guy!
In a sense I agree, but not with the way you mean that.
Frankenstein's monster is intelligent, conscious of what he does, and knows right from wrong. He knows that ripping people in two is a bad thing. But yes, quite the victim as well. That's what makes him such an interesting character, one that I can feel for in a lot of ways. Another worthwhile mention is The Phantom, you know, the operatic one. Not just because I dig masks nor because of the whole Beauty and the Beast thing going on there, but because it's hard to see him as a purely bad guy.

Edit: Indicated I was talking about Frankenstein rather than his creation; however, Frankenstein too is an interesting character in much the same way. Perhaps we could agree on him being a complicated bad guy.

He's on the same level as King Kong.

:/
King Kong is more Godzilla territory: oblivious of the complete chaos and destruction he's causing.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
1. King Kong seems more sentient than Godzilla. Godzilla blows stuff up and kill people for no apparent reason other than it being his "thing". Kong is just a giant ape who's violent side is only brought out due to human interaction.

2. Dr. Frankenstein... wouldn't call him a bad guy either. Now, remember I am talking about the classic movies here, not the Hammer films where he rapes and kills left and right for some reason. In the classic films and the novel he is an highly unethical person who attempts to play God, but I couldn't call him a "bad guy" with. In the end he becomes just as much a victim of his own genius as the other characters.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
An atom bomb makes for an interesting human interaction, even if not direct.

I was going with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. You know, the original (hipster points? no). They're all victims, all the named characters are victims in some way and can attribute their badness, evilness, immorality, amorality, or whatever you'd like to call it to some sort of trauma or tragedy, some set of unfortunate circumstances. They, and what they do, can be looked at in two lights as either honorable or fair, or unjust and wrong. That's what makes them so good. I hate boring evil people who are just evil because they are evil. There has to be some complexity, some depth of the character that can make the reader, player or viewer consider the character as not necessarily evil. Misguided, perhaps? Misunderstood? Victims or villains, hard to say.

TheChickenMan

Reaction score
Walter White from Breaking Bad best villain I've seen in along time.

Reaction score
Walter White from Breaking Bad best villain I've seen in along time.

Funnily enough I've just bought the first series of Breaking bad on DVD and will be watching it for the first time tonight, saw it in Sainsbury's the other day, the cover caught my eye and I was looking for a new series to get into so I had a quick look at the back description and thought: "Ok gotta see this" :lol: and dumped it in the basket. Seen a few vids of Walter White on YouTube too just to get an impression of what I was going to watch and I have to say that man is something else. Can't wait to see it.

TheChickenMan

Reaction score
Wow dude your in for a treat. Be careful about going online there are tons of spoilers. I think he's an awesome villain because of the transformation he goes through during the series. Walter is cool but your going to love Jesse though lol.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
Perfect example of the kind of villain I'm talking about. Big fan of the series too. But yes, watch out for spoilers. Obviously I advise watching all of it all at once.

In television, another good pick is Dexter. Interesting development of the characters, although you could skip one of the seasons in the middle and be better for it, it takes a serious dive in quality imo. Back to topic, villains don't get much cooler.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
I think you both mean Anti-Hero....

If we're gonna delve into anti-heroes then riddick has got to be one of my favourites.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
Antihero. Hmph. Back when I was learning literature antihero meant someone who could not be a hero not because of some tragedy but because they were inept and useless. But so many people have used it to mean something else that it is now an accepted term for it.

TheChickenMan

Reaction score
I actually think anti heroes are villains. I mean of course they have some good in them but usually the dark side wins over with anti heroes. I've never drawn a line between the two or could see a big difference. I mean after you kill so many people for whatever reason can you really consider a guy even partially good?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
It depends on who you've killed, obviously.

The act of killing someone isn't inherently evil if you ask me.