• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I believe thsi is random..

C

cometojames

Re: I believe thsi is random..

its a BIG ISSUE lol (the tramp charity)

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Big Issue is not a tramp charity....

C

cometojames

thats the same thing
tramp = hobo

S

Solus

cometojames;162084 said:
thats the same thing
tramp = hobo

:O A hobo is much more sophisticated than a tramp, how dare you!

C

cometojames

In British English usage a Tramp is a homeless person who travels from place to place, traditionally walking.
While tramps may do odd jobs from time to time, unlike other homeless people they do not seek out regular work and support themselves by other means such as begging or scavenging. This is in contrast to:
  • hobos who travel from place to place (often by catching rides on freight trains) looking for work.
  • schnorrers, who travel from city to city begging. “Schnorrer” is a Yiddish term.
  • bum, a stationary homeless person who does not work, and who begs or steals for a living

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Big Issue is a way of giving the homeless the dignity of earning money without the impossibility of trying to find permanent residence in order to qualify for a job somewhere else.

The use of the word "tramp" would be considered derogatory in the UK. Anyone can end up homeless and once in that place, it's incredibly hard to get out of it. The Big Issue is an enabler in that respect to help homeless people use their time productively and earn money legally with a view to helping people get off the streets and educate the rest of society at the same time so that they understand the "big issues" facing homeless people and those at threat of homelessness.

/blah

C

cometojames

i know what big issus is :) dont worry, i just referred to the homeless as tramps. I was in london yestersday and their was this homeless woman with a bottle of strongbo in her hand (cider) and she was selling the big issue wasted, you sometimes wander is it worth buying it.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

I buy it out of...I dunno why, really. I guess because I used to know some vendors personally when I was homeless and admired the way they stood out in all crappy weather, not even stopping to get something to eat, ignoring the stares and nasty comments people made...one of them even got mugged, which I thought was such a low thing to do...

I do object to people selling it without being licenced vendors though - getting the licence is not impossible and they are wrecking the system by selling overpriced bad copies of the original Big Issue. Kind of like when people sell pirate DVD's and music - it ruins the industry...

T

Tanro

This is the funniest thing I have read all day.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Bootleg hobo newspapers...? o_O

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

cometojames;162098 said:
i know what big issus is :) dont worry, i just referred to the homeless as tramps. I was in london yestersday and their was this homeless woman with a bottle of strongbo in her hand (cider) and she was selling the big issue wasted, you sometimes wander is it worth buying it.

Not very nice to refer to homeless people as tramps or look down on them, as Sharon said anyone can end up homeless for any kind of reason and ive known a couple of people in that situation.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Seriously - if it's easy money, you can bet there'll be someone doing it. And then giving all homeless people a bad name - as if they need any more help in that department as it is...

I was lucky, in some respects - I spent most of my homeless period sheltered somewhere, largely due to being pregnant. Not everyone is so fortunate.

C

cometojames

i dont see how calling a homless person a tramp is offensive

S

Solus

cometojames;162140 said:
i dont see how calling a homless person a tramp is offensive

Here are a few definitions for words used to describe homeless people:

Tramp:
To wander about aimlessly.
A prostitute.

Bum:
a person who avoids work and sponges on others; loafer; idler.
a tramp, hobo, or derelict. (See Tramp)
an incompetent person.
to borrow without expectation of returning; get for nothing
to ruin or spoil
of poor, wretched, or miserable quality; worthless.
disappointing; unpleasant
erroneous or ill-advised; misleading
A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others. (Same as the first)
Inferior; worthless
a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible

Hobo:
a tramp or vagrant

Man

The Superior Being
Reaction score

hmmm.. in some of those areas im considered a bum, as i do sloth around and live off of other people, but thats partly because im underaged to live on my own. and someone please inform me on what were talking about.