• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Mythological Roots

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Mythological Roots

I've been replaying Final Fantasy 8 (yeah, sig related :lol:).
All of the guardian forces ("GF"s) have a mythological root to their name. I know some of them, but I was hoping you all could help me figure out the rest of them.
Here they are in alphabetical order:

Alexander
Bahamut
Brothers
Carbunkle
Cerberus
Diablos
Doomtrain
Eden
Ifrit
Leviathan
Pandemona
Quezacotl
Shiva
Siren

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Re: Mythological Roots

Wikipedia

It is the shizzle.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Shiva is a Hindu Goddess, Quetzacoatl is an Aztec God, Siren and Cerberus are Greek Mythical beings, Ifrit is from an Arabian genie-esque tale, Bahamut is actually an enormous fish in Arabian mythology, Carbunkel is a Spanish legendary bird-like creature with a Gem in it's forehead (although 'a carbuncle' is a boil caused by bacterial infection) and Leviathan is a sea creature from the Hebrew Bible.

Alexander is probably a reference to Alexander the Great, Diablos is probably from the Spanish word "diablo" meaning devil and Pandemona is from the word "Pandemonium" meaning complete and utter chaos.

Eden actually is supposed to look like a living "Garden" i.e. Balamb Garden and Galbadia Garden and is obviously a reference to the Garden of Eden from the Bible.

I'm surprised you'd think Doomtrain to be mythological, but it is a reference to the Phantom Train boss from Final Fantasy VI.

You also forgot Odin who is a Norse God, and Gilgamesh who was an actual King of an ancient Sumerian region called Uruk.

By the time I finish typing this, I've probably been ninja'd but I hope I've answered your question.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Jumbo Cactuar and the Tonberry King, who are just bigger versions of regular enemies created by Squaresoft.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

droded;369970 said:
Bahamut is actually an enormous fish in Arabian mythology

Interesting, I always thought Bahamut is derived from Behemoth, the land equivalent to Leviathan.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Final Fantasy VIII is my favourite FF, probably some nostalgic connection to it.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

droded;370019 said:
Final Fantasy VIII is my favourite FF, probably some nostalgic connection to it.

same here, it's the game we played all day long when i was 10 or so...same with VII and legend of dragoon :lol:

side note: just finished disc 1! :w00t:

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Mmmm... I`ve been wanting to try out FF VIII.
I`ve been looking for good JRPGs sfter playing Chrono Cross. I haven`t found any good ones on PC (except FF ofc) and PS1, there are lots on PS2, though, but I don`t have the console.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

cheezMcNASTY;370022 said:
just finished disc 1! :w00t:

You know quite recently I heard a theory about FFVIII storyline which shattered my world for a good 10 minutes or so. I soon rejected it and fell in love with it again.

Interested?

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

droded;370031 said:
You know quite recently I heard a theory about FFVIII storyline which shattered my world for a good 10 minutes or so. I soon rejected it and fell in love with it again.

Interested?

will it spoil? it's been a decade since i played so the story is fresh right now.

if nothing gets ruined them i'd love to hear it! :)

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Well if you've already finished the game and you loved the original storyline then I'm sure you will eventually just shrug this off. It is however, a very interesting angle during a second play through.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

droded;370038 said:
Well if you've already finished the game and you loved the original storyline then I'm sure you will eventually just shrug this off. It is however, a very interesting angle during a second play through.

i wanna hear it. :)
i will absolutely get back to ya when the games beat!

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Just send a PM my way when you feel like it.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

I thought this said "Mythological Boots". I was so hoping for some magical footwear.

Elusive

the Swift
Reaction score

TRA Rotid;369992 said:
Interesting, I always thought Bahamut is derived from Behemoth, the land equivalent to Leviathan.

"In Jorge Luis Borges' Book of Imaginary Beings, Bahamut is a beast of Arabic mythology "altered and magnified" from Behemoth.
In Arabic myth, Bahamut is a giant fish, described as so immense that a human cannot bear its sight."

As someone above said, Wikipedia is the way to go :)

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

My descriptions were fairly vague as they were mostly from memory (I had to research Gilgamesh and Doomtrain :lol:)

Any further questions, post them in this thread.

EDIT: I realized that it must sound strange to remember all that - I had a similar conversation with a friend around a week ago by chance.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

droded;370150 said:
EDIT: I realized that it must sound strange to remember all that - I had a similar conversation with a friend around a week ago by chance.

Not strange at all. I knew them all except Doomtrain, Carbunkel and Pandemona too so... myth geeks rule!

Gilgamesh is also Sumerian epic about a guy (named Gilgamesh, ofc), who goes on a journey to find immortality.
Gilgamesh is also a weapon in DMC4 - all unlockable Dante weapons are names of mythology (Gilgamesh, Pandora, Lucifer... I think there was at least one more)

Elusive said:
As someone above said, Wikipedia is the way to go

Yes, but it`s much less fun.:)

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

The Sumerian epic tale about Gilgamesh was a story written about the Ancient King. Much of Gilgamesh's personality in the games (Particularly FFVI) is based on the Gilgamesh from this tale.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score

Final Fantasy has always used real mythology in their games; it's one of the reasons they're so fuc*king awesome.

Elusive

the Swift
Reaction score

Tyloric;370169 said:
Final Fantasy has always used real mythology in their games; it's one of the reasons they're so fuc*king awesome.
^
Yep.
One of the many that is :lol: