• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Peter Molyneux yearns to make Fable 4

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Former Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux says he'd "love to" work on a new Fable game & still thinks it’s crazy that Fable 4 isn’t being made. In an interview with GamesRadar, the developer was asked if he thought there might be a Fable 4 and he said "I would love to do Fable 4, and the studio tried to do it. You’d have to get the original team back together though."

SOURCE - POLYGON

Arld

WTB Deus Ex 3
Reaction score
I'm rather skeptical about his statements. Not even sure whether or not the original team still likes him for leaving them ashore when he left for his Kinect stuff.

Would love to see it happen, though.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I'm rather skeptical about his statements. Not even sure whether or not the original team still likes him for leaving them ashore when he left for his Kinect stuff.

Would love to see it happen, though.

I don't think the original guys have any ill feelings towards Peter, he worked with the things he was passionate about but nothing really came from it & everyone moved on.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
It would be a miracle seeing as Microsoft is giving every studio the axe as of late.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
For as much flack as Fable 3 received, I still thought it was a great game. And it's still a brilliant couch co-op experience. Fingers crossed that Molly somehow manages to get hold of the IP again.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I've always been of the idea to "never say never". There's always the potential reality of Petey reuniting with some of the old team and developing a true spiritual successor. People for years said the old Rare devs are gone, and we'll never see them make another classic again, but here we are with Yooka-Laylee on the horizon with the original Rare team.

Anything's possible with enough connections and know-how.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well it makes me mad that they said they would make a new fable game and yet they dont have any progress on doing so i hate LAIRS !!!!!!

Lionhead were shut down, they were making a new Fable title but it was cancelled & Peter Molyneux hasn't worked for them in many years.

vulnificura

chicken chaser
Reaction score
Lionhead were shut down, they were making a new Fable title but it was cancelled & Peter Molyneux hasn't worked for them in many years.

I wonder if it's too much to hope that Microsoft would allow a 3rd party studio to work Fable 4? By this point, Microsoft seems to have some respect for it-- considering it got ported to the Xbox 1. Then again, they did cancel another one their exclusive titles. Microsoft doesn't have much to offer at the moment.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I wonder if it's too much to hope that Microsoft would allow a 3rd party studio to work Fable 4? By this point, Microsoft seems to have some respect for it-- considering it got ported to the Xbox 1. Then again, they did cancel another one their exclusive titles. Microsoft doesn't have much to offer at the moment.

It's definitely possible, I mean they are no stranger to moving a franchise to another developer (See Halo). They could even set ups their own team like they did in that instance with 343 Studios.

Companies cancel games more often than people think (recent article for example) so it's not out of the ordinary or a huge deal when 1 gets cancelled. Was only highlighted in Microsofts case as they were already being given a hard time about their exclusives. I thought they have a decent E3 showing, wasn't a great show this year but plenty of potentially great games were shown there.

Maybe some of the original developers could return, depends what they are up too right now & what projects they are working on. I know Ted Timmins is working on Sea of Theives with Rare.

vulnificura

chicken chaser
Reaction score
I've actually read that article! Video game production costs as much, if not more, as theater or movie productions. The average price for a triple a game is 60 million (ref) for a 3-to-4 year development cycle. That should also include the cost of marketing a game. Witcher 3 costed CD Project 81 million dollars (ref), versus Fable Legends, which requested 75 million (ref) to do the project.

I agree, considering how many exclusives Sony has compared to Microsoft. Microsoft, for the console, is one of the big three. I still think their current CEO doesn't know what he's doing, and I'll leave it be at that. Sony is currently outdoing Microsoft on their current systems (ref). The PS4 player-base has grown. Both consoles can run the same games that's being ported over, but the exclusives and services they can offer mark the difference. This includes online multiplayer, backward compatibility, and now console mod compatibility. I switched from PS2 to 360 so I can play Valve games (ref) and their exclusives. Larger projects and companies tend to be under a bigger microscope (no pun intended).

Still, it's not like IP's haven't been revisited and revived. The original Star Wars: Battlefield 3 was canceled, but was then that particular IP was revitalized by EA. As much as I would love to have the original company back together, I think a lot of them have moved on. I loved playing the KOTOR series, but Obsidian and BioWare aren't the same. I'm definitely more than open to a new team, with Peter Molyneux as a consultant, working on Fable if Microsoft decides to revisit it later.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I've actually read that article! Video game production costs as much, if not more, as theater or movie productions. The average price for a triple a game is 60 million (ref) for a 3-to-4 year development cycle. That should also include the cost of marketing a game. Witcher 3 costed CD Project 81 million dollars (ref), versus Fable Legends, which requested 75 million (ref) to do the project.

I agree, considering how many exclusives Sony has compared to Microsoft. Microsoft, for the console, is one of the big three. I still think their current CEO doesn't know what he's doing, and I'll leave it be at that. Sony is currently outdoing Microsoft on their current systems (ref). The PS4 player-base has grown. Both consoles can run the same games that's being ported over, but the exclusives and services they can offer mark the difference. This includes online multiplayer, backward compatibility, and now console mod compatibility. I switched from PS2 to 360 so I can play Valve games (ref) and their exclusives. Larger projects and companies tend to be under a bigger microscope (no pun intended).

Still, it's not like IP's haven't been revisited and revived. The original Star Wars: Battlefield 3 was canceled, but was then that particular IP was revitalized by EA. As much as I would love to have the original company back together, I think a lot of them have moved on. I loved playing the KOTOR series, but Obsidian and BioWare aren't the same. I'm definitely more than open to a new team, with Peter Molyneux as a consultant, working on Fable if Microsoft decides to revisit it later.

Sony made their name early and therefore have a strong first party lineup. Though Microsoft have gotten better with their exclusives over the years they are lagging behind in that department with sheer variety. As someone who owns a PS4, PC & an XB1 I have been enjoying the exclusives on PS4 but I still use my XB1 & PC more as libraries & saves overlap.

However they do boast triple platform backwards compatibility (Xbox, 360 & Xbox One), play anywhere with PC, mods, early access, EA access, the Xbox Game Pass & now cross platform play with Nintendo & PC. With these they have become much more consumer friendly than Sony. Now they have the more powerful console too, so be interesting to see how this plays out.

They have won a lot of fans since reversing the DRM & always online announcement of the Xbox One & have done well to work with consumers and publishers to get their games to the console.

vulnificura

chicken chaser
Reaction score
Sony made their name early and therefore have a strong first party lineup. Though Microsoft have gotten better with their exclusives over the years they are lagging behind in that department with sheer variety. As someone who owns a PS4, PC & an XB1 I have been enjoying the exclusives on PS4 but I still use my XB1 & PC more as libraries & saves overlap.

However they do boast triple platform backwards compatibility (Xbox, 360 & Xbox One), play anywhere with PC, mods, early access, EA access, the Xbox Game Pass & now cross platform play with Nintendo & PC. With these they have become much more consumer friendly than Sony. Now they have the more powerful console too, so be interesting to see how this plays out.

They have won a lot of fans since reversing the DRM & always online announcement of the Xbox One & have done well to work with consumers and publishers to get their games to the console.

It's all about the catch-up game now after their sales suffer. Not that it should have been that way in the first place.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
It's all about the catch-up game now after their sales suffer. Not that it should have been that way in the first place.

Don't think they will be too worried with the revenue they make from Xbox and PC combined.

BigBadWuwlfy

Reaction score
Still wish it was the old guys working on the new Fable, I loved their games for sure.

FireDrakeZ

Reaction score
Xbox's lineup will be just fine.

Apparently Fallout New Vegas 2 is under development soon(perhaps a collaboration between Bethesda and Obsidian the original developers of FONV 1) which will add to the list of highly anticipated AAA games releasing on Xbox in the next few years including Starfield, The Elder Scrolls 6, Halo Infinite, Avowed, Indiana Jones, State of Decay 3, Fable reboot, Everwild, Hellblade 2, Wolfenstein 3 etc.

As for 2021, here is a preview of the 30+ games that are listed to be Xbox console exclusives in 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9G5vNahHXE

Also apparently Lucasfilms(Disney) has been talking to Microsoft about producing more games based on their IPs(other than the announced Indiana Jones games being developed by Bethesda).

Hopefully one of them would be Star Wars KOTOR 3 or a KOTOR reboot since one of their studios Obsidian Entertainment developed KOTOR 2.

Knights of the Old Republic is considered by many the best Star Wars games of all time so it definitely deserves a reboot or sequel.

https://twitter.com/HazzadorGamin/status/1351586027526242304?s=20 (click to expand)