• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

PS3 20% Price Cut In Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
PS3 20% Price Cut In Japan

So far its only been confirmed for Japan but hopefully it will happen overseas aswel! Sony exec Ken Kutaragi announced price cut of the 20GB PS3 base unit from ¥62,790 to ¥49,980 in Japan. We'd be looking at a move from about $538 to $428 representing a drop of some 20% when the PS3 hits later this year.Ken also announced HDMI support too, making the 20GB PS3 one fine Hi-Def movie machine on the cheap.

H

Hexadecimal

Re: PS3 20% Price Cut In Japan

well, cheaper is definetely good, but that's still asking for a large chunk of cash...
remember how outraged everybody was when companies started asking for 200 bucks?
now they're pricier than rent, I should be able to live in my gaming console
after selling ones own mother just to buy the system, who's still got the cash left over for a game?
I forsee a huge rise in rampant crimes coinciding with the release of the ps3

D

Darkside Hazuki

Gag. A price drop in another country does not compel me to buy a PS3. ... Then again, I suspect Sony's next MLB game will be on PS3 and not PS2, so... That doesn't spell good news for me and my wallet, if I want to play that. Which I do.

I'll probably end up with all three eventually, like I did with the current generation of systems.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Got to remember though all this new technology thats being put into the next gen consoles is pricey stuff! Sony are also making big losses on every console they sell at that price so...

F

flamingsquirrel

yeah, someone told me how much it cost just to MAKE a ps3, I think it was like 2 or 3 hundred, compared to the 360 which I think was around 100 to make

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

flamingsquirrel;24524 said:
yeah, someone told me how much it cost just to MAKE a ps3, I think it was like 2 or 3 hundred, compared to the 360 which I think was around 100 to make

I heard it was more along the lines of $725 to $905 because of the new chip and blu ray drives having to be rebuilt and redesigned.

The materials cost for the XBox 360 is estimated at only $501. While Sony pays $200 to $300 for each raw Blu-ray drive, Microsoft pays only $20 for the simpler DVD drives.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Yeah, that's some serious piece of equipment, that Blu-ray drive. Hopefully it'll show that it's worth the price.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Tsuyu;24535 said:
Yeah, that's some serious piece of equipment, that Blu-ray drive. Hopefully it'll show that it's worth the price.

It is a big gamble so they will be hoping the same.

Heres the Blu Ray FAQ:

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray FAQ

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

"The format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc."

" Over 9 hours of high-definition (HD) video on a 50GB disc.
About 23 hours of standard-definition (SD) video on a 50GB disc."

That's very impressive.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Tsuyu;24540 said:
"The format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc."

" Over 9 hours of high-definition (HD) video on a 50GB disc.
About 23 hours of standard-definition (SD) video on a 50GB disc."

That's very impressive.

Yeah it is i agree :thumbsup: but im sure i heard somewhere that HDTV's cant play Blu Ray format and vice versa (unsure though).

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Wouldn't that sort of ruin the very basic concept of the Blu-Ray?

Why should I upgrade from DVD to Blu-ray?

The simple answer is HDTV. If you've ever seen high-definition (HD) video on an HDTV, then you know just how incredibly sharp the picture is and how vivid the colors are. In fact, HD offers five times the amount of detail compared to standard-definition (SD). The problem with today's DVDs is that they only support SD and don't have the necessary storage capacity to satisfy the needs of HD. That's where Blu-ray comes in, it offers up to 50GB of storage capacity and enables playback, recording and rewriting of HD in all of the HD resolutions including 1080p. The format also supports high-definition audio formats and lossless audio.

In addition to the greater video and audio quality, the extra storage capacity also means there will be plenty of room for additional content and special features. This combined with the new BD-J interactivity layer adopted by Blu-ray will bring the menus, graphics and special features to a whole new level. For example, you will be able to bring up the menu system as an overlay without stopping the movie, and you could have the director of the movie on the screen explaining the shooting of a scene while the scene is playing in the background. The advanced interactivity combined with the networking features of Blu-ray will also allow content producers to support new innovative features such as downloading extras, updating content via the web, and watching live broadcasts of special events.

Thanks to the greatly enhanced HD video and audio quality as well as the advanced interactivity and networking features, Blu-ray represents a huge leap forward in the DVD viewing experience and will offer consumers an unprecedented HD experience."

F

flamingsquirrel

wait a minute! are you telling me that they're LOSING money for every consle they sell? I thought they made money off the consle AND games, but just the games?

H

Hexadecimal

Dark Drakan;24542 said:
Yeah it is i agree :thumbsup: but im sure i heard somewhere that HDTV's cant play Blu Ray format and vice versa (unsure though).

well, HD DVD and Blu-ray have different track pitches making them incompatible with each other, which is why the big battle is going on to see which will come out on top like with vhs and beta. I'm pretty sure HD TV's can play both, but you'd need to have two seperate players, one for blu ray one for HD DVD... so basicly even with the ps3 having blu-ray, you'll still need to shell out more money for a second player to watch some movies because different movie companies are siding with different formats

D

DrZoid

Dark Drakan;22906 said:
So far its only been confirmed for Japan but hopefully it will happen overseas aswel! Sony exec Ken Kutaragi announced price cut of the 20GB PS3 base unit from ¥62,790 to ¥49,980 in Japan. We'd be looking at a move from about $538 to $428 representing a drop of some 20% when the PS3 hits later this year.Ken also announced HDMI support too, making the 20GB PS3 one fine Hi-Def movie machine on the cheap.

Thats not far from the price I was planning to spend on my first car.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

flamingsquirrel;24643 said:
wait a minute! are you telling me that they're LOSING money for every consle they sell? I thought they made money off the consle AND games, but just the games?

No, they make losses on every console they sell and only make a profit after they have sold so many consoles that they get the money back that they paid to make them.

F

flamingsquirrel

that dosn't make sense. If they lose say $20 for every consle (I know the number is wrong, it's just an example) if they sell 5 thousand consles, there still losing money for every one, that brings the losses to $100,000.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

flamingsquirrel;24765 said:
that dosn't make sense. If they lose say $20 for every consle (I know the number is wrong, it's just an example) if they sell 5 thousand consles, there still losing money for every one, that brings the losses to $100,000.

Yeah, I also have a hard time beliving it. After all, all companies have one ultimate goal: To make cash.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

flamingsquirrel;24765 said:

Tsuyu;24767 said:
Yeah, I also have a hard time beliving it. After all, all companies have one ultimate goal: To make cash.

Yeah but over time the sales figures increase and say they spent £1 billion on making that amount after afew years the sales would have made more than that & they have the sony produced games sales to add to that and so would make a profit but not at first. It takes time for them to get their money back which is why console makers try their best to get exclusive rights and great titles only on their consoles.

F

flamingsquirrel

no, I'm talking about JUST the consles, with no other income, they LOSE money for the consles,so they depend on games and controllers etc to earn it back?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

flamingsquirrel;24804 said:
no, I'm talking about JUST the consles, with no other income, they LOSE money for the consles,so they depend on games and controllers etc to earn it back?

They depend on sales of EVERYTHING made by their brand to generate cash back.

Status
Not open for further replies.