• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Question for PC enthusiasts

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Well...
Extra RAM would be for future proofing mostly. Plus the issue is that RAM sticks really need to be exactly the same and you might run into some trouble finding a second one later on.

Monitors. And I quote:
"The legendary BenQ BL2411PT", which is nearly in the budget
or a cheaper
ASUS VN248H

the point is that aside from slightly reduced prices, the TN panels don't have any advantages over IPS panels. The cheaper ASUS with a 5ms response time makes absolutely no difference vs a 2ms TN panel. Overall it's your choice, though.
The guy I'm asking advice from is the most hardcore geek I know and the level of knowledge he displays in these things is insane so he knows what he's saying.
However, he often falls into extremes so if he calls one thing crap and the other ok, the difference to a "normal man" might not be noticeable. :D

Also don't SLI. Single high end card > SLI

Some things to consider:
PC Geek #1 said:
The basic Zotac GTX970 (the one with a custom cooler) also saves about 40 bucks and is just as good as the MSI, just looks less cool but apparently has also very good OC results and is decently quiet, despite the smaller PCB and cooler sizes, plus offers 5 years of warranty (at least here).
PC Geek #2 said:
Also, the Zotac fame is very regional. Careful about that, the cards in general are average, or slightly under, reference PCB, etc. They are good deal in Germany cause they are cheap there and have huge warranty. But here for example Zotac is one of the more expensive ones and has only 2Y warranty, while MSI is the cheapest and has 3 (and the quality of their 970 is actually fine). So it depends on the shop and place where he buys the thing. There are no real "bad" 970. Asus Strix is kinda meh this time, the one with ref cooler is meh and the crap producers like Gainward or Inno3D or such, normally I would throw MSI there too but this time they did not **** it up, their 980 is actually maybe the best one this time
So you'd probably need first hand advice on that.

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well...
Extra RAM would be for future proofing mostly. Plus the issue is that RAM sticks really need to be exactly the same and you might run into some trouble finding a second one later on.

The Hyper X Fury Black is a pretty popular RAM choice so shouldnt be too hard to find for the foreseeable future as as they are only around £50 for 8GB it wouldnt be too long before I could get the extra sticks.

"The legendary BenQ BL2411PT", which is nearly in the budget
or a cheaper
ASUS VN248H

I will look up these models and see if Amazon UK sell them and see what sort of prices they come out at.

EDIT
These are ones I found on Amazon UK...

BenQ BL2411PT
(found BenQ BL2410PT too)
Could only find ASUS VN247H or ASUS VE248H on Amazon

Also don't SLI. Single high end card > SLI

A single high end card would always be better but SLI/Crossfire is set to improve soon with memory stacking coming soon. I mean its always going to be recommended to purchase one high end card of course but in some cases a 2nd card is far cheaper and benchmarks arent far off. Plus with DirectX 12 rumoured to be allowing multiple different GPU's in same machine it could be far cheaper to use an SLI/Crossfire setup and boost power above a single high end GPU.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
I'll ask about the other ones.

They did recommend
http://www.amazon.com/QNIX-QX2710-Evolution-LED-Monitor/dp/B00BUI44US
As well. It is a very good monitor and it's biggest upside is the OC'd frequencies going up to 90 Hz.
However, it's more over the budget and not available in UK, plus future tech support would be much harder to come by bc of the manufacturer. I didn't think you'd be interested, but I'm pitching it in regardless.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I'll ask about the other ones.

They did recommend
http://www.amazon.com/QNIX-QX2710-Evolution-LED-Monitor/dp/B00BUI44US
As well. It is a very good monitor and it's biggest upside is the OC'd frequencies going up to 90 Hz.
However, it's more over the budget and not available in UK, plus future tech support would be much harder to come by bc of the manufacturer. I didn't think you'd be interested, but I'm pitching it in regardless.

Would have to import and then costs shoot up with tax and such so best not to overall, looks like a nice monitor though. Appreciate the advice and passing on of messages by the way.

EDIT* If your friend has any suggestions for a CPU Cooler for an Intel Core i5-4690K then I would be happy to see them and see what sort of price they are etc.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Just this second purchased the MSI GTX970 and got it for £251.99 (should have been £279.99) and will purchase remaining parts next week or week after. Gives me a little more time to research monitors and find one that best serves my needs.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
The BenQ is a good monitor.

The ASUS ones available are not the right models.

PC Geek #2 said:
Also, never forget TFTcentral. That is by far the best and most professional monitor review page. they also have the selector that helps people chose. I selected there 24 inch, IPS, standard gamut, primary use gaming secondary videos/movies, and about 200 pounds. It threw at me 3 monitors, and all of them were excellent choice so... yeah, feel free to use it and recommend it.

Beware tho, the page does not waste time with total low-end crap, you will there only stuff worth testing and reviewing.

For the cooler: Gelid Tranquillo

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The BenQ is a good monitor.

The ASUS ones available are not the right models.

For the cooler: Gelid Tranquillo

Got a little time to research while I save cash up for last remaining 3 parts (CPU/Monitor & Windows). I could only find those on Amazon and couldn't find one you listed. Much difference between those 2 BenQ monitors? As there is like a £72 price difference & the BenQ BL2410PT is stocked by Amazon so I get discount too. You mean this cooler?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Your rig blows my dream out the water and mine was going to be triple the cost. :geek:

Last edited:

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Your rig blows my dream out the water and mine was going to be triple the cost. :geek:

Do yourself a favour and copy everything Andy is doing as he's probably getting the best advice and help around. Just don't let him see you looking over his shoulder as you write everything down. :thumbsup:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

I tried to be realistic with my budget, I didn't want to spend too much but at same time the specs I originally picked out overall cost more. So all in all I have a better rig than I wanted for a lower price than I should have paid (could have gone a little more overboard but wasn't worth the cash performance difference wise).

Just trying to nail down a good monitor at the moment and I could purchase my CPU in next few days. Heard multiple reports about Windows 10 being free for Windows 7 & 8 users and then some saying you only got a trial. However I have researched all morning and seems you get trial at moment as an early preview but you do indeed get full version via a Windows update should you opt to upgrade. So I might buy Windows 7 for £30 on eBay (£50 cheaper than Windows 8.1) then upgrade when Windows 10 launches (free if you upgrade in first 12 months it launches). Might use the £50 I save on that to buy 8GB more RAM as that was about £58.

Do yourself a favour and copy everything Andy is doing as he's probably getting the best advice and help around. Just don't let him see you looking over his shoulder as you write everything down. :thumbsup:

I'm happy to share my experience and if I can help others out on the way then that's good too. Been out the loop for so long I had no choice but to ask for some help and advice as tech has come a long way in the 9 years ive been away from proper PC Gaming. I have spent a little more than I wanted to but at same time I have saved money too with my discounts and going for parts that were on offer or in a deal.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Nah I'm shelling top dollar I want my rig to be unique. Going for i7 everything the only part I'm skimping on is the graphics card. A titan is good comparatively but not worth 1g alone.

(PS: Don't mention Phantom cases or i will eat you. They ugly.)

What are some good cases? I thought the ASUS cases looked sleek.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Nah I'm shelling top dollar I want my rig to be unique. Going for i7 everything the only part I'm skimping on is the graphics card. A titan is good comparatively but not worth 1g alone.

Dont always have to spend top dollar to get best performance rig, I preferred to get best bang for buck over bragging rights of particular model processors/GPU's etc. Plenty of cards that can match up to the Titan for far less cash.

What are some good cases? I thought the ASUS cases looked sleek.

That depends on what look you are going for, style or one that does a particular job well. There are plenty of fancy looking cases out there, I have had cases with all the bells and whistles down the years but my new one is merely a cheap, functional case with great cooling but doesnt 'look' anything special.

Corsair Carbide 200R

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Dont always have to spend top dollar to get best performance rig, I preferred to get best bang for buck over bragging rights of particular model processors/GPU's etc. Plenty of cards that can match up to the Titan for far less cash.

That depends on what look you are going for, style or one that does a particular job well. There are plenty of fancy looking cases out there, I have had cases with all the bells and whistles down the years but my new one is merely a cheap, functional case with great cooling but doesnt 'look' anything special.

Corsair Carbide 200R
Well I almost want to buy a prebuilt rig at mark up. I take apart and assemble all sorts of appliances but I'm looking at a liquid cooled system. I feel it wouldn't be safe to do it on my own, especially if I had a leak or whatnot. What I am looking for is performance, I want to game in 4k, but I also want it to be dead silent aswell.

I think as far as looks I'm just going to get the biggest case I can find, with window panels. Just get some led lights and let the guts be the appeal. The more this hardens in my mind the more complex buyin' a Pc becomes.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well I almost want to buy a prebuilt rig at mark up. I take apart and assemble all sorts of appliances but I'm looking at a liquid cooled system. I feel it wouldn't be safe to do it on my own, especially if I had a leak or whatnot. What I am looking for is performance, I want to game in 4k, but I also want it to be dead silent aswell.

I think as far as looks I'm just going to get the biggest case I can find, with window panels. Just get some led lights and let the guts be the appeal. The more this hardens in my mind the more complex buyin' a Pc becomes.

I wouldnt have attempted a liquid cooled one on my own either has heard it can be quite troublesome to begin with. Always best to get a friend to help you out and show you the ropes for your first time. I considered a windowed panel PC case again however you have to start buying parts based on how they look then and colour matching everything and I just wanted the best parts I could afford by performance so opted not to.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
I wouldnt have attempted a liquid cooled one on my own either has heard it can be quite troublesome to begin with. Always best to get a friend to help you out and show you the ropes for your first time. I considered a windowed panel PC case again however you have to start buying parts based on how they look then and colour matching everything and I just wanted the best parts I could afford by performance so opted not to.
You're doing it by the books I wish I was that smart.

Dude we are so playing Fable Legends together when it's released. I never had a gaming Pc this is so exciting :lol:

I tell you what I'm going to do sink 6G into it :sick:
My configuration will be much different but this is what I'm looking at. Its alot I know but this thing will last years to come. Only problem is that it will still be loud as hell, but atleast it won't melt.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
You're doing it by the books I wish I was that smart.

Dude we are so playing Fable Legends together when it's released. I never had a gaming Pc this is so exciting :lol:

I tell you what I'm going to do sink 6G into it :sick:
My configuration will be much different but this is what I'm looking at. Its alot I know but this thing will last years to come. Only problem is that it will still be loud as hell, but atleast it won't melt.

If I had cash to burn I would have built something that used resolution and screen like that and the internals look very nice and neat. Not fussed about 4k though and building my rig around the resolutions my monitor will be capable of.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
If I had cash to burn I would have built something that used resolution and screen like that and the internals look very nice and neat. Not fussed about 4k though and building my rig around the resolutions my monitor will be capable of.
It's more ridiculous then a new Harley but I work hard I deserve it. I earned it.

I'm to old to explore the world, to young to explore the galaxy, but born just in time to explore virtual reality.

Is it safe to buy used components? I'd rather build a machine on my own.

PC geeks everywhere would advise against a pre-built machine.

Yeah, I'm gunna build one myself it's a right of passage. Prebuilt configurators are nice to play with because like me who knows not much I can tell what is compatible, benchmarks, and how it ultimatley will look as a finished product.

I think I'll save a couple grand and build it myself. I lego I got this.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Is it safe to buy used components? I'd rather build a machine on my own.

In most cases yes its fine to buy used so long as you get them from reputable sources, I mean plenty of people sell their older GPU's when a fancy new one comes out and sometimes they can be merely 6-12 months old and have plenty of years left ahead of them.