• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Random Fable 3 rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamiya

Reaction score
Tried to find a similar thread but couldn't find any.

So thorough rants about Fable III, please! What ****ed you off? What caught your eye?
Let us know!

I'll get this started:
So basically I love the game itself, but due to different circumstances, I've had to start the game five times. Five times..! If that wasn't annoying enough, I think I'll have to restart it again...!

So the first time I was thrilled, I had avoided all spoilers to the perfection and had been anticipating the game since I played Fable II. Aaand then after intensively playing the game for a day, I found out the year as a king wasn't quite an year after all. I had no money whatsoever in the end, so all of the citizens died.
Ah well, I though, and started the game over. This time with a girl.
.... Buuuuut I had forgotten all the girl-heroes in Fable are simply GIANTS..! I couldn't find not a single man who would've been taller than her, and gave up.

So the third time I kept nice and neatly to the male hero, bough every building I came against to...and STILL was surprised by the fast "year" of my kinghood. Also came to notice there wasn't any marry-worthy women in the whole NPC cast, except the childhood sweetheart I slayed for morality points right off the start.

Fourth time I collected money in all peace, and saved Elise so I would have someone to marry at least. But what is this! She wanted to marry me instantly, when I still wasn't a king, so had to give her some shabby wedding.
And whooops again killed all the citizens. Well I always wanted to give Elise that Royal-wedding anyways.

So THIS time I made sure to take my time, collect enough money, ran trough every possible quest just to kill time and idled to gather rent money. And avoided the Kidnapped quest so I could give Elise the Royal-wedding.
...except that I didn't know I couldn't DO that quest after I became a king..! FFUUUU!!!
Now I have millions of gold, every possible good-moral quest done before the war, and nobody to marry!
Reeeally wouldn't fancy restarting AGAIN.

callycap3

The Iron Marquis
Reaction score
dude, i feel your pain. (i refer your attention to my post, http://projectego.net/forums/threads/elise-got-killed.27287/ )
which sucks.
also, another Fable 3 rant:
NO MENUS AT ALL.
No menus for furniture (how the F are you supposed to know what you have)
No menus for food/drink (so u can only hold 1 type at a time!!)
And OMG, the shopping system is frustrating. You can only buy things one by one?? You have to look at each item to buy it? And selling stuff is an undertaking so damn annoying, that whenever I needed money, even if I had sh*t loads to sell, I would still just spend ages on Lute Hero instead.

They tried to make the game easier and more simple by removing menus. And TBH, the Sanctuary is great. But nothing else is.

Kahindes

Reaction score
Tried to find a similar thread but couldn't find any.

So thorough rants about Fable III, please! What ****ed you off? What caught your eye?
Let us know!

I'll get this started:
So basically I love the game itself, but due to different circumstances, I've had to start the game five times. Five times..! If that wasn't annoying enough, I think I'll have to restart it again...!

So the first time I was thrilled, I had avoided all spoilers to the perfection and had been anticipating the game since I played Fable II. Aaand then after intensively playing the game for a day, I found out the year as a king wasn't quite an year after all. I had no money whatsoever in the end, so all of the citizens died.
Ah well, I though, and started the game over. This time with a girl.
.... Buuuuut I had forgotten all the girl-heroes in Fable are simply GIANTS..! I couldn't find not a single man who would've been taller than her, and gave up.

So the third time I kept nice and neatly to the male hero, bough every building I came against to...and STILL was surprised by the fast "year" of my kinghood. Also came to notice there wasn't any marry-worthy women in the whole NPC cast, except the childhood sweetheart I slayed for morality points right off the start.

Fourth time I collected money in all peace, and saved Elise so I would have someone to marry at least. But what is this! She wanted to marry me instantly, when I still wasn't a king, so had to give her some shabby wedding.
And whooops again killed all the citizens. Well I always wanted to give Elise that Royal-wedding anyways.

So THIS time I made sure to take my time, collect enough money, ran trough every possible quest just to kill time and idled to gather rent money. And avoided the Kidnapped quest so I could give Elise the Royal-wedding.
...except that I didn't know I couldn't DO that quest after I became a king..! FFUUUU!!!
Now I have millions of gold, every possible good-moral quest done before the war, and nobody to marry!
Reeeally wouldn't fancy restarting AGAIN.

My Goodness. You really have been through A LOT in this game. That sounds agonizing and somewhat annoying, I dislike all the little, but nasty, surprises in this game. I would have given up, and tried again many months later, I admire and envy your patience and endurance ^_^

Nick G

Reaction score
Many of the achievements can still be gotten by co-op play. Find someone just starting out and assist them with some of their storyline to achieve this.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Yah, Fable III is pretty crappy.

Keyan

Reaction score
*SPOILERS (which should be obvious given the type of post this is)

Your wife can get killed too easily (DON'T LIVE IN MILLFIELDS).

Taking the castle was a total and complete let down. Here, I'll just ram through firing off blade spells the entire time (unlocking last upgrade for the Channeler), and then walk up to the door and bro is like "Yo, here ya go!". No boss fight. I mean, the hardest boss in the game is the FIRST mercenary one! They could have at least written in some evil henchman of your brother's that you had to fight before you came to his door. Really, really lame.

The lack of clear inventory management is a huge oversight.

While I appreciate that at the end your character is nearly immortal, you pretty much are through this whole game as you can tank up on health potions and just keep dropping charged up shock + fire spells until everyone is taken care of.

Despite my nitpicks so far I am still having fun though, but probably because I was warned about the end game and have amassed a huge fortune...

RSVR85

Reaction score
Let us know!

As with most, on my first play through (Good) i got shafted by the premature ending to Kinghood. Once i realised the whole world was dead i started a new game. On my second playthrough (evil), i got trapped in Reavors Mansion (now fixed) and decided to start AGAIN!!
F3 by this time was ****ing me off and i've now stopped playing it and will probably sell. I was gonna wait it out until some more DLC was released but after Understone and the amazingly **** dye pack and hair pack i won't be. Here's why.

The constant unacceptable drop in frame rate,
Overlapping voice-overs,
Promises to do good even if you're an evil character,
No inventory,
Jasper having to say something every-fuc**ng-time you enter the santuary ("new items in shop"....AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!),
The crappy DLC's & having to pay for dyes and stuff that's already baked into the game,
The endless painfully slow slo-mo gun kills, (you know, where its so slow the other enemies have a chance to crawl up to you and start beating you before the camera return to you)
No expression wheel (i really hate dancing with and kissing guys hands)
Lack of interesting side-quests (going on dates, fetching toy-horses and being a courier service soon gets VERY boring)
Guild seals are quickly made redundant
How LH forgot they now made the Hero talk,
The stupid, frustrating, annoying dog,
The stupid, frustrating, annoying golden trail (that's when it even appears),
Map means absolutely nothing if you want to use it for navigation,
A lot of the same audio was taken from F2
No ability to choose which Hero you want to play with a the START of the game. (when have we ever had to start a game to quit to start/load a new one?....just stupid design)
No hotkey for the Map
No health-bar
Ugly NPC's
Labourious & boring buying/selling system
Treasure is boring, (50,000 gold for 20 silver keys....wohoo, just what i always wanted!!)

I'm sure i have more, i haven't played for a while so can't quite remember but the biggest offence made by LH & MS is the fact they left any challenges for this game at the front door. As Keyan has correctly said, there are no big boss fights and the biggest challenge for me also was the Stryker (think that's right) battle which is at the beginning of the game.
Instead of Molyneaux prancing around in Poppy Fields and lying to us all the time, maybe he should have been concentrating on developing the amazing experience we were all expecting after F2.

Keyan

Reaction score
Yeah, I just felt like there was not real antagonist in the entire game. In 2, your sister gets blown away and he nearly kills you, THAT makes for a very personal bad guy. Then you visit the spire, etc, and you encounter other bad bosses who make the game challenging and interesting. But here...your brother is just some abstract jerk, but it's not like it's very personal. Like the choice with Elise at the start - You knew her for 3 minutes. Who cares? And there is no bad guy who is chasing you, making your life hell, or anything. Like I mentioned before, if they had created some General or something who was chasing you down, hurting your friends, etc, it could have made for a satisfying boss battle at the end of the castle sequence. Instead it was just fighting some more generic guards.

And Understone, while somewhat interesting...did anyone else think they'd accidentally taken a wrong turn into a Vault from Fallout? At least it was only $5.

callycap3

The Iron Marquis
Reaction score
Promises to do good even if you're an evil character,
No inventory,
The endless painfully slow slo-mo gun kills, (you know, where its so slow the other enemies have a chance to crawl up to you and start beating you before the camera return to you)
No expression wheel (i really hate dancing with and kissing guys hands)
Lack of interesting side-quests (going on dates, fetching toy-horses and being a courier service soon gets VERY boring)
The stupid, frustrating, annoying dog,
The stupid, frustrating, annoying golden trail (that's when it even appears),
No ability to choose which Hero you want to play with a the START of the game. (when have we ever had to start a game to quit to start/load a new one?....just stupid design)
Labourious & boring buying/selling system
Treasure is boring, (50,000 gold for 20 silver keys....wohoo, just what i always wanted!!)

(I picked out the ones that particularly annoyed me)
Being forced to make promises and THEN having to break them if you are evil - wtf? You should be able to say no from the start if you never have any intention of helping them, and you would get evil points right away.
WHERE IS THE GOD DAMN INVENTORY
Slo-mo kills are f*cking annoying, I've been playing Batman: Arkham Asylum recentley, which also has a slo-mo kill cam, but its actually good and makes combat cooler, not frustrating.

Also, compare 2 to 3. Why didn't they keep the dog and the golden trail the same?? I mean, they were a bit buggy in Fable 2 but the golden trail is USELESS in 3.

IMO, take:
Fable 1's story, setting, epicness and fun
Fable 2's systems for property, jobs, expression, dog, golden trail, combat and weapons
Fable 3's sanctuary (but NOT lack of menu), road to rule and ability to be king (and graphics)

and you have the best game ever.

Keyan

Reaction score
IMO, take:
Fable 1's story, setting, epicness and fun
Fable 2's systems for property, jobs, expression, dog, golden trail, combat and weapons
Fable 3's sanctuary (but NOT lack of menu), road to rule and ability to be king (and graphics)

and you have the best game ever.

Dragon Age?

Keyan

Reaction score
You should be able to say no from the start if you never have any intention of helping them, and you would get evil points right away.

This one is kind of weak. You NEED these allies to overthrow your brother. What is more evil, in the end, making a promise to someone that you will do something to get them to sacrifice their people for your cause, and THEN telling them "HA HA, I lied!", or just telling them no upfront? If you told them no, they wouldn't help you, and you'd never become king.

RSVR85

Reaction score
This is true, however Lionhead should have made it a little more engaging. For exmaple, If you said no to helping you need to become a real bad-ass and force/scare them into helping... instead of forcing us to be do-gooders. if you're playing an evil character, having to comply with these promises just make the game even less enjoyable because you know they've not though about this at all and it takes you completely out of character.

callycap3

The Iron Marquis
Reaction score
This one is kind of weak. You NEED these allies to overthrow your brother. What is more evil, in the end, making a promise to someone that you will do something to get them to sacrifice their people for your cause, and THEN telling them "HA HA, I lied!", or just telling them no upfront? If you told them no, they wouldn't help you, and you'd never become king.
Yeah I guess you're right, but what would have been really awesome is that for every time you refuse to make a promise, you get a short quest to get some evil followers instead (like bandits), so you have the same number of followers, but you can control an ARMY OF THE DAMNED. MWAH HAH HAH

untuva

Lady in Red
Reaction score
Lack of dark/creepy elements, for example no Wraithmarsh, shadow court or banshees, was a a real letdown. And Im still wanting that minimap from fable 1 back, exploring is a pain in the arse. Also the variety in townspeople personality info has decreased, where are all the raunchy or selibate people?

xxcYyLOnexx

Diamond Miner
Reaction score
i hated the part where walter said "boo" and that hob died. it was so unfunny, it disgusted me. yep.

xxcYyLOnexx

Diamond Miner
Reaction score
Lack of dark/creepy elements, for example no Wraithmarsh, shadow court or banshees, was a a real letdown. And Im still wanting that minimap from fable 1 back, exploring is a pain in the arse. Also the variety in townspeople personality info has decreased, where are all the raunchy or selibate people?
i agree completely with everything that you just said.

underthestarrysky

Lionheart.
Reaction score
Yeah I guess you're right, but what would have been really awesome is that for every time you refuse to make a promise, you get a short quest to get some evil followers instead (like bandits), so you have the same number of followers, but you can control an ARMY OF THE DAMNED. MWAH HAH HAH

It wouldn't really make sense to have your own army (even though it'd be super cool!) because since the very beginning of the game, you ARE the good guy. You're forced into caring about who should be the one to die: Elise/Elliot or townspeople. Why not kill them all? Why not join Logan? Sure, Albion needs a savior, but I don't like how we were forced to care about certain things.

&I really hated the part when Walter and the hero were at the Mistpeak Monorail station. You know how they went down the elevator then proceeded to go through the entire cave? Why the hell didn't they just use the elevator again? Walter was like, "We gotta find a way out of here!" ...yeah, there's an elevator over there that we just took to get down here - unless of course Reaver Industries isn't interested in making elevators that go up. -____-

RSVR85

Reaction score
I suppose there's no need to the different attitudes in people. There's no expression wheel anymore and everyone in albion now loves dancing and burping so.....
I hadn't actually noticed the lack of the "dark-side" apart from the darkness of course. I miss the banshees, we used to have some good banter, and her kids were so cute.

You're forced into caring about who should be the one to die: Elise/Elliot or townspeople. Why not kill them all?

You can kill them all. Not choosing to execute either results in them both being killed

And i also concur, the story is horrifically weak in places.

exgoldbridget

exgoldbridget
Reaction score
Short and simple. Too streamlined. 10 abilities or so for weapons yet 50 weapons. Missing content they made dlc to get an extra 20 bucks. No real level up system. Generic experience. Very short. Slight change in appearance based off your morality. No menu. A lot of stuff removewd from previous fables that I really enjoyed. No real decent npcs. Same recycled enemies from fable one and two. I liked it a lot. It just was a massive dissapointment compared to what they promised

King William

Reaction score
I can do without people walking through me. How RUDE!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.