• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Religion disappears THAT FAST , eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiplz

Reaction score
It's only been 50 years yet there is no religion in Albion, save Aurora. HMM. I kind of liked the whole avo vs skorm, light vs dark thing. It put a more obvious emphasis on good and evil.

Reaction score
Yeah to be honest I miss the religion aspect of Fable a lot, It was one of the critical elements of the Fable Universe and was a part of Albions identity in My opinion.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
It's only been 50 years yet there is no religion in Albion, save Aurora. HMM. I kind of liked the whole avo vs skorm, light vs dark thing. It put a more obvious emphasis on good and evil.

The Temple of Shadows from Fable II is in Fable III. Sure, it looks a lot different but it's there. Though I will admit it is odd not seeing the Temple of Light or something equal to that.

Arld

WTB Deus Ex 3
Reaction score
The Temple of Shadows from Fable II is in Fable III. Sure, it looks a lot different but it's there. Though I will admit it is odd not seeing the Temple of Light or something equal to that.
You are referring to the Dark Sanctum? If so, wasn't that in Mourningwood which is supposed to be the old Bowerstone Cemetery (as far as I can recall), and is nowhere near Oakfield/Rookridge? Or am I completely wrong?

Aruu

Reaction score
Maybe the events at the end of Fable II caused people to think differently? Also depending on what route you took, either the Temple of Light was destroyed, or the Temple of Shadows was. So you could say that most of those followers would have been killed. But you are right, it doesn't make sense to get rid of it completely. They could have hinted at it.

DiamondFlair

Reaction score
I think religion is a bit strong. Albion has never really had "religion" as a full blown entity. Skorm/Avo may have been widespread enough, but thats has been gone for centuries. The Temple of Shadows wasnt a relgion as much as it was a bunch of nutjobs that wanted to see death. It was at best a cult, a worst a meeting group for those who lacked sanity.

The Temple of Light wasnt really active outside of Oakfield, and it was more that the farming community felt they should give worship to a deity of nature. I agree there should maybe be more examples of this, although as society progresses these form of individual worship tend to fade away which might be why there isnt much there.

From a gameplay point of few, the Dark Sanctum replaces the Temple of Darkness, so for evil players they still thier amusing wheel of sacrifice. As for those playing a good, the good temple only ever involved donating money to increase your morality. And that can obviously be done this time via the Kingdom Treasury.

To be honest, I never really found myself interested in either of them. My favourite religion in all of Fable 2 was T.O.B.Y, simple because is was not a religion but a money making swindle that brainwashed people. Which IMO, is all that religion is.

Albion doesnt have Gods. It has Heroes.

Arld

WTB Deus Ex 3
Reaction score
Good points you've made there, DiamonFlair.
From a gameplay point of few, the Dark Sanctum replaces the Temple of Darkness, so for evil players they still thier amusing wheel of sacrifice.
Weel of Sacrifice isn't in the Dark Sanctum anymore, unfortunately. It seems Reaver managed to get his hands on that object, which should indicate that he did somehow enter the Temple of Shadows between the periods of Fable 2 and 3. Perhaps Garth stopped him which resulted in the conflict between them?

DiamondFlair

Reaction score
Good points you've made there, DiamonFlair.

Weel of Sacrifice isn't in the Dark Sanctum anymore, unfortunately. It seems Reaver managed to get his hands on that object, which should indicate that he did somehow enter the Temple of Shadows between the periods of Fable 2 and 3. Perhaps Garth stopped him which resulted in the conflict between them?

Wheel of Sacrifice, Pit of BBQ Peasentry, its all much of a muchness isnt it? :D Its basically just drag villager from A to B with evil points as a reward..

Keshire

Modder
Reaction score
Personally, I wish it was handled the same way I handle it for my D20 games I run.

FableD20

Deities: Apart from special consideration of the Shadow Guild, Theresa, and the Unnamed Hero, there are no true deities. Faith itself bends the magic of Albion. The people of Albion have created named deities in order to define, organize, and strengthen the power of their faith. As such there is no need to name a followed deity, but doing so grants a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls of cleric powers, as well as cleric paragon and prestige path powers that have the ‘Radiant’ keyword.

handsdown65

A Smart Fella
Reaction score
Or maybe because of the decision in Fable 2 to either save or aid either temple, Lionhead got lazy and thought '**** it, cba'.

Arld

WTB Deus Ex 3
Reaction score
Well, I do think that Lionhead did rush the game in overall. Not to mention it was planned to be released in November instead of October. Perhaps that's why things like these are hard to explain... or perhaps a reason as to why there are some things in-game that don't make any sense.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
You are referring to the Dark Sanctum? If so, wasn't that in Mourningwood which is supposed to be the old Bowerstone Cemetery (as far as I can recall), and is nowhere near Oakfield/Rookridge? Or am I completely wrong?

I don't remember them ever mentioning Bowerstone Cemetery as Mourningwood.

Arld

WTB Deus Ex 3
Reaction score
Neither do I, but I believe I did read some posts regarding that being the truth on these forums. Also, it would make more sense, no? Seeing how Mourningwood is close to Bowerstone Industrial (and the sewers), whilst Rookridge isn't anywhere near that area unless I'm mistaken?

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score
im guessing the dark sanctum was put there to convince players to be more evil.
but i dont understand why noble dwell in there. it just makes is a poncy little poser club rather than truly evil ancient sanctum sect.
i would love the temple of light to return, in all its glory from f2 when it is upgraded.
it felt more belonging when there is actual worshippers that walk around the town and it served a purpose aswell, for the farming and the golden oak.
perhaps a magic-side to the temple of light would be awesome aswell. like how the evil shadow guy you fight has them swords floating around him and white eyes. id love to see that on a monk.

handsdown65

A Smart Fella
Reaction score
I don't remember them ever mentioning Bowerstone Cemetery as Mourningwood.
It's only speculation but it's in the same area, has the same style of tombs, and the cemetery in F2 had a wooded area around it which most of we couldn't access..

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
im guessing the dark sanctum was put there to convince players to be more evil.
but i dont understand why noble dwell in there. it just makes is a poncy little poser club rather than truly evil ancient sanctum sect.
i would love the temple of light to return, in all its glory from f2 when it is upgraded.
it felt more belonging when there is actual worshippers that walk around the town and it served a purpose aswell, for the farming and the golden oak.
perhaps a magic-side to the temple of light would be awesome aswell. like how the evil shadow guy you fight has them swords floating around him and white eyes. id love to see that on a monk.

I guess you missed playing Fable II because all those shadow worshippers were nobles who weren't truly evil. Heck, just to get into the place you have to eat five crunchy chicks and the guy at the entrance is practically vomiting the whole time you're doing it. Some of the others tip you off to how big of a pansy they are as well.

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score
yes, but at least they looked more evil, and tried to be evil.
that has more of the fable humor than these powdered poofs sitting off.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
yes, but at least they looked more evil, and tried to be evil.
that has more of the fable humor than these powdered poofs sitting off.

I suppose. I'm sure you could just kill them off if you find them to be obnoxious.

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score
but i prefer being a good characters, id rather they stay like that if it meant a light sanctum could be reinstated aswell. as long as they all wear the npc mage suit but in white

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
but i prefer being a good characters, id rather they stay like that if it meant a light sanctum could be reinstated aswell. as long as they all wear the npc mage suit but in white

Uh... why would you care what the people in the Dark Sanctum look/act like then? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.