• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So does anyone read?

LobotomizedLOVE

Pistol Fiend
Reaction score
I have a Kindle that I need to fill up with awesome so can anyone give me a recommendation for a good book?

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
i heard the book Room was really good. something told from the perspective of a kid growing up in confined cell.
i can't personally recommend it or anything as of now.
our house has been short on fire wood since summer. ;)

though i have been meaning to pick up Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk. i'll have to report back...since school started somewhere around chapter 2.

LobotomizedLOVE

Pistol Fiend
Reaction score
Alright, that'll be a no on anything by Palahniuk. His stuff is way too abstract, not to mention my now ex-boyfriend was really into trying to pretend he was all deep by reading that ****. So no, but thanks anyway.
I'll check out Room, though.

I just finished the Hunger Games series so now I'm all in the mood to read. And then reading of course makes me want to write...and then writing will eventually lead me to a career and moving out of this house. So as you can see, this is my future you're all recommending to me.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Alright, that'll be a no on anything by Palahniuk. His stuff is way too abstract, not to mention my now ex-boyfriend was really into trying to pretend he was all deep by reading that s***. So no, but thanks anyway.
i agree. fight club aside he comes off as very pretentious (i've read 2 others).
battle royale is always fun... as was enders game. i'm really not too much of a reader, so my list of good books is both short and probably read already by whoever i'm talking to. (harry potter anyone?)

i've heard some things about those hunger game books, are they worth picking up?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Anything by King and Lovecraft.

LobotomizedLOVE

Pistol Fiend
Reaction score
Pretty sure I read everything by Stephen King by the time I graduated High School. Some good stuff, though. Definitely. What's your favorite novel of his?

@cheezy: The Hunger Games is a really good series. It really made me think, it's really easy to read and it has some good characters in it as well. It's told first-person by a girl which a lot of guys seem to think makes it hard to read, but honestly the protagonist is really well written and doesn't give off that "omg I'm a girl lyk yay!!"-vibe. Trust me, she's a cool chick and she just adds to the story. Definitely really good books and I totally recommend them. I finished the whole trilogy in like 4 days, I couldn't put them down.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
I LOVE THESE THREADS!!1!!!!!!1

@cheezy: The Hunger Games is a really good series. It really made me think, it's really easy to read and it has some good characters in it as well. It's told first-person by a girl which a lot of guys seem to think makes it hard to read, but honestly the protagonist is really well written and doesn't give off that "omg I'm a girl lyk yay!!"-vibe. Trust me, she's a cool chick and she just adds to the story. Definitely really good books and I totally recommend them. I finished the whole trilogy in like 4 days, I couldn't put them down.

About that... ok, so the series was passable. I "read" them all on audiobook. And... in general, I enjoyed them. But HOLY **** THERE WAS SO MUCH STUPIDITY IN THEM IT MADE MY HEAD HURT.

Hmmm... what else is good. In the "if you liked x, try y" vein, I hear (Without ever having read them and having no desire to read them because they don't actually look good to me) that the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield is good and similar to Hunger Games.

So far as recommendations go... Vatta's War series, by Elizabeth Moon was a lot of fun. Space force academy cadet gets kicked out of academy, gets a job on one of her family's trading ships, ends up being badass.

Pretty much anything published by Baen Books is likely to be passable sci-fi and fantasy, but some of it is complete ****. Eric Flint, Dave Free, and David Weber are some of my favorites. John Ringo when he's not letting his imagination get too inflamed.

Lois McMaster Bujold, I like her Vorkosigan Saga, particularly the Miles bits. My favorite was the Warrior's Apprentice, kinda similar plot to Vatta's War. Kid fails to get into the academy because he has brittle bones, goes and gets all badass and ****. Haven't read but little bits of the series, though.

John Varley I'm reading right now. Some slightly weird sci-fi.

John Scalzi is pretty awesome. Seems to be working his way through imitations of assorted sci-fi greats. Old Man's War was great.

And as a last suggestion, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Because I am morally obligated to suggest them to everyone. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is one of the best books I've read recently, even if it is a kid's book. I really, really liked it.

EDIT: I would like to agree with Tyloric on the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher; and say that I enjoyed Graveyard Book way more than Coraline.

And... I didn't get depressed at Hunger Games, I got annoyed. Either the evil overlords were being idiotic, or the supposed protagonists were being idiotic. All my favorite characters were secondary people who appeared briefly and then (usually) ended up dead. If not dead, they were sidelined. I always felt ripped off.

And the ending of the last book was just asinine.

LobotomizedLOVE

Pistol Fiend
Reaction score
I'll give you that, Hunger Games definitely had its angsty moments but I was able to look passed that and appreciate them anyway. There were some brutal deaths that I thoroughly enjoyed as well. <3

Yes, Terry Pratchett is a wonderful writer! I read him all the time. Did you read Good Omens? Pratchett and Gaiman collaberated on that one and it is one of my favorite books of all time. ^^

LobotomizedLOVE

Pistol Fiend
Reaction score
I'll definitely give Night Angel a shot, then. ^^ Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. I was afraid that none of you were bookish, but you proved me wrong. Literacy, ftw!

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
I own a nook. I love it so much. I've started reading so much more because of it.

Also, if you're interested in fan fiction at all, AO3 lets you download any story posted as an EPUB file, which is the universal eBook format.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Anything by Peter F. Hamilton and Terry Pratchett.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
I could reccomend some stuff. But it'd be all teenage stuff so you probably wouldn't want to hear it(?).

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
OH! Speaking of which, www.baen.com/library. Do not buy any Baen ebooks until you've tried out a few of them. That URL is their free library. You can download a selection of their books completely free, including for the kindle. No DRM, no fee, no registration, no nothing. That way you can see if you like them first.

And I am vastly offended that you didn't realize that books are my crack.

And yes, Good Omens is awesome. I read Discworld first, then I read Good Omens, then I started reading other Neil Gaiman books.

And Hobbe, feel free to suggest teen books. Half of what I suggested was either teen or children's. And the other half is probably shelved with teen books at my library just to be weird.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Yertle the Turtle - possibly the best book ever written on the subject of turtle stacking.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Ooh - read the story of the mole who knew it was none of his business.

Best. Kids. Book. Ever.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Sure, I read.

Authors that I enjoy books by include
Jasper Fforde (e.g The Eyre Affair)
Irvine Welsh (e.g Trainspotting, Glue)
Terry Pratchett( e.g The Wee Free Men, The Colour of Magic, Going Postal)
Neil Gaiman (e.g Stardust, Coraline)
Ben Elton (e.g Popcorn, Blind Faith)
Sebastian Faulks (e.g The Girl at the Lion d'Or, Birdsong, Charlotte Gray)
Sue Townsend (e.g The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4)