• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Premieres on Jan 21st and is a prequel to the highly acclaimed Spartacus Blood & Sand. I posted a preview for the prequel back in December here but here is the second trailer.
The House of Batiatus is on the rise, basking in the glow of its infamous champion Gannicus. Poised to overthrow his father and take control a young Batiatus will freely betray anyone to ensure his gladiators are in the highest demand. With his loyal and calculating wife Lucretia by his side, they will stop at nothing to deceive the masses in this.
THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS TO BEWARE WHEN READING ON

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Cannae wait, cheers for the heads up andy.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Was one of my favourite new shows when it started so im glad its on its way back and i dont mind that its a prequel. Going to be interesting to see what events led up to what happened in Spartacus Blood & Sand and i wish Andy Whitfield i speedy recovery and hope he can one day continue his role when Blood & Sand continues.

i'm slowly working through the first season right now. i'll keep this in mind if it's still entertaining at the end.
i hear it gets better and better, so we shall see. :)

I thought it did get better and better personally and left me wanting more so this will fill the gap nicely.

UPDATE
Spartacus Gods Of The Arena starts 13th Jan at 10pm on Starz with Episode 1 'Past Transgressions’

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
i'm slowly working through the first season right now. i'll keep this in mind if it's still entertaining at the end.
i hear it gets better and better, so we shall see. :)

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Watched Episode 1 earlier and im impressed, they did a good job of fitting so much in one 50min episode that after 10mins i felt id been watching it for 30mins. Its darker than Blood & Sand in the fact that there is less honour in the arena and the backstabbing and one-upmanship begins from the get go. Still stock full of all the violence, language and sex people loved from Blood & Sand and nice to see some of the characters from Blood & Sand being introduced for the first time and seeing where they began to where they were in Blood & Sand and how their attitudes and personalities changed.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I know Cheez has been watching and enjoying the prequel but has anyone else seen it? Shame there is only 3 episodes left as its been absolutely superb so far and i shall miss it when it goes off air for Season 2 to be filmed.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I know Cheez has been watching and enjoying the prequel but has anyone else seen it? Shame there is only 3 episodes left as its been absolutely superb so far and i shall miss it when it goes off air for Season 2 to be filmed.

Yeah, just finished Blood & Sand and am all caught up on GotA currently. I like the artistic ambition that DeKnight & Tapert displayed throughout both B&S and the prequel, reminds me a lot of the style that was used in the film 300. You weren't kidding when you said they pull no punches, and I commend them for having the balls (no pun intended) for taking it as far as they did. The first episode of B&S did not impress me at all, it was only until I watched the 2nd episode that I couldn't stop watching and became sucked in.

Everyone plays their role exceptionally well for a TV series, even the secondary characters have me feeling for them. My favorite characters so far are Spartacus, Crixus, Oenomaus, Varro, and Titus. I can see why you like Crixus so much, when I first saw him for the first few episodes I kept trying figure out what it was that would compel someone to like him so much.. now I see why, he's much more than just the school bully and it was good to see that there was so much more behind what I originally thought was a cardboard cutout. It's a shame that Whitfield won't be reprising his role as Spartacus for the 2nd season, he played the part so damn well that seeing anyone else as Spartacus just doesn't feel right, it's like Arnold no longer being The Terminator. I hope he pulls through with his battle against cancer.

I'm not that familiar with McIntyre so I don't know what to expect of him as Spartacus, but I trust he won't disappoint with all the enthusiasm of him as the new Spartacus, but it helps that his face somewhat resembles Whitfield's. One last note though, I truly cannot stand that detestable wench Ilithyia and I applaud Viva Bianca for portraying the role of a character that brings out the hate in people so well.

Thank you for recommending this show to me.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
One last note though, I truly cannot stand that detestable wench Ilithyia and I applaud Viva Bianca for portraying the role of a character that brings out the hate in people so well.
not to mention she looks good naked. that was probably the best part of episode 1 ^_^
i'd argue that she stole the show for blood and sand in that department.

i wouldn't have said that normally, but it's a show that's pretty much about awesome violence and awesome sex. it's relevant. DON'T JUDGE ME

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Yeah, just finished Blood & Sand and am all caught up on GotA currently. I like the artistic ambition that DeKnight & Tapert displayed throughout both B&S and the prequel, reminds me a lot of the style that was used in the film 300. You weren't kidding when you said they pull no punches, and I commend them for having the balls (no pun intended) for taking it as far as they did. The first episode of B&S did not impress me at all, it was only until I watched the 2nd episode that I couldn't stop watching and became sucked in.

Everyone plays their role exceptionally well for a TV series, even the secondary characters have me feeling for them. My favorite characters so far are Spartacus, Crixus, Oenomaus, Varro, and Titus. I can see why you like Crixus so much, when I first saw him for the first few episodes I kept trying figure out what it was that would compel someone to like him so much.. now I see why, he's much more than just the school bully and it was good to see that there was so much more behind what I originally thought was a cardboard cutout. It's a shame that Whitfield won't be reprising his role as Spartacus for the 2nd season, he played the part so damn well that seeing anyone else as Spartacus just doesn't feel right, it's like Arnold no longer being The Terminator. I hope he pulls through with his battle against cancer.

I'm not that familiar with McIntyre so I don't know what to expect of him as Spartacus, but I trust he won't disappoint with all the enthusiasm of him as the new Spartacus, but it helps that his face somewhat resembles Whitfield's. One last note though, I truly cannot stand that detestable wench Ilithyia and I applaud Viva Bianca for portraying the role of a character that brings out the hate in people so well.

Thank you for recommending this show to me.

I said the same about the first episode and i wasnt that impressed with Episode 1 and reviewers too rated it average but after that it just got better as the series went on. Crixus looks like an arrogant, big headed thug but you see more sides of him as the series goes on. More is also revealed about him in Gods Of The Arena and you respect him so much more. I was really impressed with the artistic style too and it is a fantastic mix of 300 and Gladiator.

I agree on everyone playing their roles brilliantly too, even the minor roles were expertly cast and they are more than one dimensional shells. Shame about Andy but Gods Of The Arena shows that the series can be done without him but i dont know what Mcintyre will bring to the role yet but i wont judge him by Andy's standards but on his own.

Bianca played Ilithyia so well and really created a character that got under your skin and made you want to hate her. Now you have got to watch Gods Of The Arena and see how the characters got to the places they are at in Blood & Sand and how different they once were. You wont be disappointed now you have enjoyed Blood & Sand.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
I've only watched part of the first episode of the series (Blood and Sand) and I remember being so bored that I just couldn't watch it. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I've only watched part of the first episode of the series (Blood and Sand) and I remember being so bored that I just couldn't watch it. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

Both Scott and I and the person who recommended the show to me all had the same opinion of the first episode but they do improve as they go on.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
not to mention she looks good naked. that was probably the best part of episode 1 ^_^
i'd argue that she stole the show for blood and sand in that department.

i wouldn't have said that normally, but it's a show that's pretty much about awesome violence and awesome sex. it's relevant. DON'T JUDGE ME

lol, Despite her disgusting personality, she does have a nice body.. I'll give her that.
I said the same about the first episode and i wasnt that impressed with Episode 1 and reviewers too rated it average but after that it just got better as the series went on. Crixus looks like an arrogant, big headed thug but you see more sides of him as the series goes on. More is also revealed about him in Gods Of The Arena and you respect him so much more. I was really impressed with the artistic style too and it is a fantastic mix of 300 and Gladiator.

I agree on everyone playing their roles brilliantly too, even the minor roles were expertly cast and they are more than one dimensional shells. Shame about Andy but Gods Of The Arena shows that the series can be done without him but i dont know what Mcintyre will bring to the role yet but i wont judge him by Andy's standards but on his own.

Bianca played Ilithyia so well and really created a character that got under your skin and made you want to hate her. Now you have got to watch Gods Of The Arena and see how the characters got to the places they are at in Blood & Sand and how different they once were. You wont be disappointed now you have enjoyed Blood & Sand.

Well actually I'm already caught up with GotA, finished episode 4 and am currently awaiting #5, but yes I am loving it. It's interesting to see the almighty Crixus in such a fragile state in this prequel, I'm actually feeling quite bad for him.. though hopefully he gets a damn haircut soon. I have to say Lucy Lawless does a good job of playing an easily dislikable character as well, Lucretia is a major bitch... and my eyes indeed became big when I found out she's been wearing nothing but wigs all this time. :lol:

I didn't like how Varro was killed though, he was one of my main favorites and I expected him to die in the arena as a gladiator or by a cheap method such as a gang attack or poisoned food. But.. by the command of a pathetic child who has little idea of what he's doing, and most of all by the hands of Spartacus? ... :( That really sucked for me.

It also annoyed me how Varro's wife was terribly ignorant and didn't even bother to give Spartacus a chance, she just upped and assumed that Spartacus did it for the thrill and honor as a Champion.

Gannicus is rather interesting, he reminds me a lot of a young Shawn Michaels.. this cocky and charismatic pretty boy, with little honor for the arena but plenty for his own cock, however he has the abundance of skill to back it all up. It took awhile, but he's starting to grow on me.

Speaking of which, I'm not liking how easily unfaithful Oenomaus' wife has become after being forced against her will to have sex with Gannicus in a demeaning manner, and then Gannicus starts to express his love for her? Is that really all it takes for a woman like her to start an affair with a man she would die for?

It just really bothers me to be honest.

The season finale of Blood and Sand was fantastically satisfying, but at the same time I felt it was rushed.. like there should have been an episode in place of it to build up momentum for this awesome finale, just came on too quickly instead in my opinion.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
lol, Despite her disgusting personality, she does have a nice body.. I'll give her that.

Well actually I'm already caught up with GotA, finished episode 4 and am currently awaiting #5, but yes I am loving it. It's interesting to see the almighty Crixus in such a fragile state in this prequel, I'm actually feeling quite bad for him.. though hopefully he gets a damn haircut soon. I have to say Lucy Lawless does a good job of playing an easily dislikable character as well, Lucretia is a major bitch... and my eyes indeed became big when I found out she's been wearing nothing but wigs all this time. :lol:

I didn't like how Varro was killed though, he was one of my main favorites and I expected him to die in the arena as a gladiator or by a cheap method such as a gang attack or poisoned food. But.. by the command of a pathetic child who has little idea of what he's doing, and most of all by the hands of Spartacus? ... :( That really sucked for me.

It also annoyed me how Varro's wife was terribly ignorant and didn't even bother to give Spartacus a chance, she just upped and assumed that Spartacus did it for the thrill and honor as a Champion.

Gannicus is rather interesting, he reminds me a lot of a young Shawn Michaels.. this cocky and charismatic pretty boy, with little honor for the arena but plenty for his own cock, however he has the abundance of skill to back it all up. It took awhile, but he's starting to grow on me.

Speaking of which, I'm not liking how easily unfaithful Oenomaus' wife has become after being forced against her will to have sex with Gannicus in a demeaning manner, and then Gannicus starts to express his love for her? Is that really all it takes for a woman like her to start an affair with a man she would die for?

It just really bothers me to be honest.

The season finale of Blood and Sand was fantastically satisfying, but at the same time I felt it was rushed.. like there should have been an episode in place of it to build up momentum for this awesome finale, just came on too quickly instead in my opinion.

Yeah it was quite a shock to see what Crixus once was, an unskilled, nervous slave but with a lust for glory in the arena. Can see the fire in his eyes that ignites him into the man he is in Blood & Sand. Was also shocking seeing him in such a state appearance wise. :lol:

I like the way you see why the red wig Lucretia wears in Blood & Sand is so prominant (Gaia's wig) and why she seems completely different attitude wise. In Gods Of The Arena she is the faithful wife and questions nothing of her husband and even thinks sex with slaves is wrong and tries to hide away hers to preserve their virginity. To the Lucretia in Blood & Sand who is hell bent on revenge, devious, calculated and all in all a bitch.

Shame about...

Varro too as i liked him, he was an honourable man with good intentions and was trying to make amends for his past mistakes and was a loving family man. It was rather touching the moment between them and Varro gave Spartacus little choice into killing him and made him look at the bigger picture and how doing so could save both of their families. If he didnt then they would have both been killed and all their achievements up to that point would have been for nothing.

Behind Gannicus arrogance and bravado theres a man that is quite honourable and respectful. Despite him...

Sleeping with his best friends wife of course, but you can see there has always been something between them and some sexual tension. Seems Oenomaus' wife had started to believe all the hype surrounding him and after her forced moment became pleasureable to her she wanted more.

He knows he is doing wrong and cant even look his old friend in the eyes but still thinks nothing of helping him out when he can and obeys his orders none the less. Wonder how far this friendship is going to be pushed towards the end.

Overall ive enjoyed every episode of the show besides maybe the first of Blood & Sand to an extent when compared to the rest and hope it continues to shine until the end of Gods Of The Arena and that Season 2 is a success also.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I like the way you see why the red wig Lucretia wears in Blood & Sand is so prominant (Gaia's wig) and why she seems completely different attitude wise. In Gods Of The Arena she is the faithful wife and questions nothing of her husband and even thinks sex with slaves is wrong and tries to hide away hers to preserve their virginity. To the Lucretia in Blood & Sand who is hell bent on revenge, devious, calculated and all in all a bitch.

Ah, I didn't even realize until later that it was Gaia's wig until I remembered that she shifts between wigs in B&S, even the wigs have interesting backstories. :lol:
Argh, just finished watching Ep 5 of GotA and I thought it was pretty good, but..

:( I really can't stand Lucretia, another one of my favorite characters (Titus) killed off now. On the plus side, her selfish stupidity bit her in the bum and had karma flying through the house like a boomerang affecting others. Gannicus is no fool and he clearly knows that Lucretia knew about the whine, hopefully he can get some bit of justice in the finale (though I'd imagine not much will happen given her state in B&S). They said Spartacus (Whitfield) will be making a brief appearance in GotA, but I haven't seen him yet.. unless they're leaving him for the finale's ending.

Oenomaus is going to rage and I'm wondering how Gannicus plans on handling that situation.

Not really sure how I feel about Tullius (crazy blonde guy) at the moment, he's obviously a crazy snake in the grass, but I'm hoping there's more to him than that. He doesn't appear in B&S so I would imagine it's safe to assume that something happens to him.. whatever it may be.

Funny to see that Batiatus is still the same in GotA as he is in B&S, proving he hasn't learned much of what was taught to him and just does whatever he wants to do, shame. Would have also been interesting to learn more about his mother though rather than just her name simply being mentioned.

Now to play the waiting game for the finale, it's a little impressive how much they managed to cram in into 6 episodes.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't even realize until later that it was Gaia's wig until I remembered that she shifts between wigs in B&S, even the wigs have interesting backstories. :lol:
Argh, just finished watching Ep 5 of GotA and I thought it was pretty good, but..

:( I really can't stand Lucretia, another one of my favorite characters (Titus) killed off now. On the plus side, her selfish stupidity bit her in the bum and had karma flying through the house like a boomerang affecting others. Gannicus is no fool and he clearly knows that Lucretia knew about the whine, hopefully he can get some bit of justice in the finale (though I'd imagine not much will happen given her state in B&S). They said Spartacus (Whitfield) will be making a brief appearance in GotA, but I haven't seen him yet.. unless they're leaving him for the finale's ending.

Oenomaus is going to rage and I'm wondering how Gannicus plans on handling that situation.

Not really sure how I feel about Tullius (crazy blonde guy) at the moment, he's obviously a crazy snake in the grass, but I'm hoping there's more to him than that. He doesn't appear in B&S so I would imagine it's safe to assume that something happens to him.. whatever it may be.

Funny to see that Batiatus is still the same in GotA as he is in B&S, proving he hasn't learned much of what was taught to him and just does whatever he wants to do, shame. Would have also been interesting to learn more about his mother though rather than just her name simply being mentioned.

Now to play the waiting game for the finale, it's a little impressive how much they managed to cram in into 6 episodes.

Lucretia was always plotting to elevate her husband to his 'rightful' place and she is loyal to begin with and loves her husband above anything. Even...

the depths she goes to, to get pregnant by making Crixus have sex with her just so she can give Batiatus the child he wants. After saying sex with gladiators/slaves was disgusting and even showing how repulsed she feels when she wont even look at him. Obviously this is what starts to lead to their 'relationship' in Blood & Sand.

Its been really interesting to watch their characters evolve into what they are in Blood & Sand. Lucretia turning from the loyal, respectful wife to being the one with the ideas of deceit and lies. Batiatus having his eye for glory for the House of Batiatus and always being in his fathers shadow but wanting to craft his own destiny and doing it any way he can.

As for Gannicus i dont know if...

Lucretia will reveal what happened to Oenomaus wife as she is close to him and leave out the truth about Gannicus or she will put the blame on Tullius and his wine and make both Gannicus and Oenomaus want revenge on him. As Gannicus is being sold to him it would be the perfect chance to get rid of him by being killed by his own Gladiator. As i dont think Gannicus will be killed of and i think he may reappear in Season 2 personally and meet up with Spartacus somewhere along the lines.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
i think that...
Oenomaeus learning the complete truth will be out of the question. Obviously at the very least he'll learn that she was killed by the poisoned wine, as it's the whole back-story to his dislike for wine in B&S. I doubt he'll learn it was lucretia's doing that the wine was poisoned, it would make his relationship with dominus and domina too unstable for the stalwart loyalty he has in B&S.

my prediction....
the way i see it, the only ending that ties everything up neatly is gannicus being sold to tullius and fighting crixus in the new arena for his title of champion. oenomaeus will learn of gannicus sleeping with his wife and hold him accountable for her death, effectively giving him a reason to fully support crixus as the new champion of capua. tullius will meet his death, likely by the hand of young batiatus so that he may gain position as a primary house in the new arena.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Finished the finale of GotA, and I have to say I was quite pleased with it. I didn't find it to be as emotionally engaging nor as dramatic as the Blood & Sand finale, but was definitely enjoying.

Crixus got a haaaaaiiircut.

Looks like the both of you were pretty close on your predictions (without spoiling yourselves and opening a history book), I really like how they played out the Oenomaus & Gannicus confrontation. Gannicus acquiring his freedom as a reward for all his victories was a surprising twist, I was expecting him to be killed by Crixus. I was hoping Andy Whitfield would be making a physical appearance, but unfortunately it was just his voice and it only made me sadder, hope he wins that battle against the cancer.

I'm glad they managed to explain everything of the events leading up to Blood & Sand, and leaving no loose ends. I was surprised though at how much less there was of sex-scenes in GotA versus those in B&S, but I'm glad it retained the same level of graphic gore and ultra-violence of the original.

Alright Drakan, GotA is finally over and now you must see ROME... remember, you promised. And I recommend you check it out as well Cheez, it was an excellent show.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I thought the ending was absolutely superb and one of the best episodes of both parts of the series and i loved how they tied everything together.

The big battle scene was easily the best id seen in the series yet and the deaths were really gruesome and detailed. Even seeing Crixus get a haircut was woven into the story and the exchanges between him and Gannicus were great and shows the cocky side of Crixus coming to head. Also liked how they left it open for Gannicus to return and didnt deviate to much and look forward to seeing him join Spartacus. Ashurs injury was really well explained too and the hatred between him and Dagan was great.

Pikpik

The Divinity of Hope
Reaction score
I've seen up until the part when

everyone escapes Dominases villa.

Does anyone know if I can watch this if I no longer have Stars? (Lost my Uverse)

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I've seen up until the part when

everyone escapes Dominases villa.

Does anyone know if I can watch this if I no longer have Stars? (Lost my Uverse)

Thats Blood & Sand not Gods Of The Arena but ive sent you a PM anyway. Ive preordered Blood & Sand boxset of season 1 on DVD (first TV DVD Boxset ive ever preordered). As i want to watch it again after seeing the prequel.