• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Texture Help

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score
Texture Help

Alright, I'll cut right down to the point here. I've finally created a weapon I find suitable for Fable, and I'm about to texture it. I have my UVW unwrap done, and I've used texporter to create the image and it is in Photoshop right now. Now, I was wondering if it is possible to make the metal reflect light. Y'know, making it shiny in light and stuff. And if it is, this probably has nothing to do with the actual texture I'm guessing. Anyone who has made a model and texture, could you answer this?

+rep for helping in advance.

pPLnOmE

I am your Messiah
Reaction score
Re: Texture Help

yes, actually you can. There is a CDef I beleive that controls the "shiny" level. ATM I don't recall where it is, I will search for it right now :)

pPLnOmE

I am your Messiah
Reaction score

The New Fabled Ravrn:
Turn up the "glow (power or effect)" in the graphics.big entries you want. Don't go too far, like 50-100 because it's blinding light then

JohnDoe:
Except it's not luminosity he's talking about, it's reflection.
And the answer is to give it a specular map. Most armors and weapons use 27. Adjust the MaxTextureLayers to 5 if it doesn't have a bump map, if it does have a bump map, try 7.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Now +rep to you, and since that is a quote of John he also gets rep if he posts here. And if he doesn't...
I. Will. Find. Him. And. Rep. Him.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Okay, I got some of that, but my first question is how to break the model up into 2 submeshes.

And thanks for your time.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Before I do this should I set up the hierarchy (which I think is aligning the model with an imported Fable model close to mine, right?), or does it matter if I do it after?

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

So do the detach thing first, then the hierarchy? Or the complete opposite?

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Alright, thanks for all the help. :)

Oh damn, just realized it is 11:05PM. Well, I got to get to bed. Any later than 1:00AM and I can't function properly throughout the day.

I'll continue tomorrow though. And again, thanks for all your help so far.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Yes, yes, I know. The god awful double post. But I'm kind of stumped. Again.

when I align it and open up that select objects window, it doesn't look the same. This might not matter, but I don't want to screw anything up.

3dsmaxselectobj.jpg

Man, I feel like such a noob. :p

And "cake" is just what I named the longsword to import it into 3ds. :p

EDIT: Oh damn, nevermind. I figured it out. Damn I can be stupid. :lol:

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Alrighty. Oh, and ignore the HORRIBLE texturing. I really need to work on those skills. :blush:

hookbladefinished.jpg
IMG%5D

And I was able to get it to work. I just had to check off a box and it set up the tree. From there I aligned my model to the longsword, deleted the longsword ONLY and left the helpers. I aligned the helpers and I was able to import it into FE.

And it is just a Chinese Hooksword. It looked simple, and simple it was. :D

EDIT: What the hell? It will only post that one. Damn, gimme sec.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

So, JUST submeshes, or submeshes AND helpers? And would, say, selecting the move tool then setting the X, Y, and Z boxes to 0 work? And then rinse and repeat? or would that not work? I can't do anything at the moment, I'm in bio trying to do a lab report and have no FRUCKING clue on how to do it. :lol:

And thanks. I just need to fix the texturing and I'll be happier with it. I'm just glad I'm FINALLY able to make something in 3ds Max. Now I have to go around repping all you posts. :lol: I'll do that in a bit. :p

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Well, my 3ds froze last night and I went to continue from where I was and it didn't make a backup.

So, last night I followed Sean_s' video, and then I read your post. Is it necessary to align HDMY_AUG_01, HDMY_AUG_02, HDMY_WEAPON_FOCUS_01, HPNT_weapon_pos_a, and HPNT_weapon_pos_b?

I'm so confused right now. :lol:

I hate to ask, but could you do a quick overall summary in order? I really don't know what is necessary to do either.

Sorry. :blush:

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Man, that deserves WAY more rep than I can give. :(

But thank you times an infinite amount. I'll probably give another swing at this tomorrow. I'm awfully tired and I don't want to screw anything up. And I was able to get it in Fable, BUT, the handle cloth (or what I tried to make has a handle cloth) showed up on on the blade of the sword and it was much smaller. And the sword was backwards. I was still pretty happy though.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Again, my bad for the double post, but when I spawn the box at 0,0,0, blah, blah, blah, do I attach the submesh to the box, or the box to the submesh?

EDIT: I got it into Fable, aligned properly and all! Well, the texture looked like it got molested, but I'm just happy I was able to get this in, and have it held correctly.

12-09-200970242PM.jpg

:D

I thank you infinitely John.

Now just to figure out why my texture was raped. And to test some augments out.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Okay, I did do it right. And I edited my above post to show it worked. :D

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Most of if was your doing, anyhow. :p But still, I'm freakin' ecstatic.

And I tried the texture rotation thing. No dice. I'll try again in a bit, I probably screwed something up or didn't do it right. :lol: