• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The 'Chair' Thing

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I agree 100% that it is nice, polite, and gentlemanly to do that. I wonder, though, why only men have to do that. In these times of emancipation, who's to say women shouldn't be polite to men, by pulling out a chair and opening doors? Just wondering. =|

There is no rule that says women cant do it too its just common courtesy for the man to take that role.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
The hell with that. You can sit your damn self, male or female.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
I was raised old fashioned, I open the door for people, rush ahead to open the door for a girl, give my seat to a girl if all other seats are full, I help friends, and friend's parents with their chores when I am entitled to relax on their couch, I try to speak elegantly (A quality which is fading) I give a firm handshake, I almost completely keep eye contact through conversations, I use a fork even on hot-wings, I apologize often and expect others to do the same, I almost always refuse food that requires my guest to work, I drink tea, etc... Not to say I don't cuss alot or use toilet humor, or that I am better educated, just brought up like a gentleman.

EDIT: In short: I would even lay my coat down on the mud for a girl to walk by unfilthified, but I have yet to have that opportunity. This is a mix of gentlemanly upbringing, and being a sucker.

Some of that is good, but then some is more you, then gentleman like, such as, keeping eye contact, I personally think that its disrespectful to stare into someones eyes, I dont lik eit, and dont like it when peope do it to me.

And the laying your coat down so someone doesnt get wet or muddy, that I think is a little too far, people need to live a little, its only water or mud, its not going to kill you, get over it. or walk round it. Hehe

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I only get ratty when teenagers take seats and won't move for anyone else. That's when I claim my God-given right to rage very loudly and usually get other people to join in. I also report them to the driver, the staff at the relative station, the transport police if I can see them hanging around and then I post about them on the internet.

Quite cathartic, really.

The Rh Factor

Likes shiny objects
Reaction score
In my opinion, if women want equal treatment regarding things like rights and pay, they should be treated the same as men in other ways too. There's no reason a guy should be expected to offer me his seat. He was there first. Does having boobs make my legs inoperable? Nope. The one possible exception to this is when a woman is doing something that is physically difficult for her that most men could do without a problem. For example, it would be nice if the guy browsing next to me at PetSmart offered to help me put that 50lb. bag of dog food in my cart. I don't think he should feel obligated to offer, but it would be nice if he did.

Though I don't expect random strangers to do things like offer me their seat or hold the door for me, it IS nice when my boyfriend does it. But that's more about doing little things for each other as part of our relationship. And for the record, I hold the door open for him sometimes too :)

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
I am opposed to the Chair thing.

My mum's constantly bitching at me to give up the chair to random strangers (perfectly fit and healthy random strangers - if it was some 99 year old woman with two walking sticks and a wooden leg I'd give up my chair), but that's not really bugs me; what really bugs me is that, apparently, when a woman enters a room, all the men are meant to stand up and not sit down again until the woman sits down.

I have cleverly shown how this is sexism:

> At my school, when the Head teacher enters the room all the pupils have to stand up.
> Head master is superior to pupils.
> When a woman enters a room, the men have to stand up.
> This implies women are superior to men.

Ergo, sexism.

Avarael

Reaction score
There are occasions when I think it's common courtesy to offer you seat to a woman as you said. If I was pregnant and was forced to stand on a bus while perfectly able people sat I would rage like you wouldn't believe. Same with families with young children or the elderly or disabled in some way. (injury etc)

If a guy has offered me their seat I'm not likely to take it and it kind of puts me on the spot. I am perfectly able after all, but gee, of course I'd rather sit. Can't recall taking that offer but I'm sure I have. (not on public transport necessarily and only with friends. Somehow it's OK to scab off friends? XD) I am rather gentlemanly too anyway. I hold doors, allow people to pass first, help people with their prams on stairs... I think it is polite and I appreciate it when people do those sorts of things for me.

There are limits, however. It applies to everyone. I personally prefer to take out my own chair unless my hands are busy. That is something my female friends do for me too. If I'm able-bodied I'd rather stand (from a moral POV) and I can also open a car door by myself, thank you. Unless it's childproof or something...

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Hobbe Brain said:
Ergo, sexism.
Ergo: respect for authoritah.

NOW STAND IN MY PRESENCE!!!! THEN KNEEL IN SUBORDINATION!!! THEN STAND AGAIN BECAUSE I NEED TO GO OUT TO THE TOILET!!!! I HAVE RETURNED SO STAND SOME MORE BEFORE KNEELING AGAIN!!!! YOU GET THE IDEA!!!!

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score

NOW STAND IN MY PRESENCE!!!! THEN KNEEL IN SUBORDINATION!!! THEN STAND AGAIN BECAUSE I NEED TO GO OUT TO THE TOILET!!!! I HAVE RETURNED SO STAND SOME MORE BEFORE KNEELING AGAIN!!!! YOU GET THE IDEA!!!!

I want you so hard right now.

HobbeBrain

Reaction score

I'm glad to see you understand.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score
There is no rule that says women cant do it too its just common courtesy for the man to take that role.
Yes there is a rule!
Have you ever been offered a drink by a chick? it's very uncomfortable.... Well slutty anyway, it made me feel cheap - of course I took the drink and got the hell out of there :D

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Yes there is a rule!
Have you ever been offered a drink by a chick? it's very uncomfortable.... Well slutty anyway, it made me feel cheap - of course I took the drink and got the hell out of there :D
No no no - you take the drink AND whatever else she offers you. Uncomfortable or not, it's a free drink - enough of them and you won't even remember what "cheap" means...

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Yes there is a rule!

All the time and ive always taken Sharons advice, hell thats how i met my girlfriend pretty much.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Amen to that :D

One does one's best, after all...

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Yes there is a rule!
dude... i swear you troll so hard.
when a girl buys you a drink it's slutty? i must be a huge slut.
it's called foreplay simon, something you are probably unfamiliar with. why? because once all the drinks are gone there usually isn't any foreplay between then and bumping uglies.

simon, not liking foreplay is an enormous turnoff.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score
dude... i swear you troll so hard.
when a girl buys you a drink it's slutty? i must be a huge slut.
it's called foreplay simon, something you are probably unfamiliar with. why? because once all the drinks are gone there usually isn't any foreplay between then and bumping uglies.

simon, not liking foreplay is an enormous turnoff.
Haha, what the hell are you talking about?

So because I don't like taking drinks from the ladies that means I don't like foreplay?

I think you're mixing foreplay and flirting up a little bit ;)

Besides, I don't really care if you are turned off when I say no to a drink, cause.... I don't like dudes.
I mean I'm sure we can be friends, but I don't want you to get the wrong idea :D

Warpedhero

Warped Hero
Reaction score
I am opposed to the Chair thing.

My mum's constantly bitching at me to give up the chair to random strangers (perfectly fit and healthy random strangers - if it was some 99 year old woman with two walking sticks and a wooden leg I'd give up my chair), but that's not really bugs me; what really bugs me is that, apparently, when a woman enters a room, all the men are meant to stand up and not sit down again until the woman sits down.

I have cleverly shown how this is sexism:

> At my school, when the Head teacher enters the room all the pupils have to stand up.
> Head master is superior to pupils.
> When a woman enters a room, the men have to stand up.
> This implies women are superior to men.

Ergo, sexism.

Of course it is sexism.

In the first half of the 20th Century, women expected men to hold doors open for them, give up chairs for them, pay for everything, etc., and women were expected to stay at home and keep up the house.

In the 21st Century those expectations are out of date and should be forgotten.

I would NEVER give up my chair for a healthy woman.

I have never stood when a woman entered a room, because to me, everyone should be treated the same, regardless of sex.
(Actually, I don't think I've ever seen that situation at all.)

I respect men and women, and if I would not give up my chair for a man, why should I give it up for a woman?

The only time I would give my chair up at all is in the case of a feeble, old, ill, or pregnant person, or if I'm on my way out of the room.

I also only open doors for people who are behind me, and most of the time, they are so close that they have to grab it themselves to walk through it. It's not because I want to be a 'gentleman', it's only because I don't want the door to hit them in the face. If they're in front of me, I'm not going to rush in front of them and open the door for them, that's just foolish and unnecessary. Now if it's an old, feeble, ill, or pregnant person, yeah, I'll open the door for them, or if someone's got their hands full, but if they're perfectly capable of opening their own door, nope, get it yourself.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Haha, what the hell are you talking about?

So because I don't like taking drinks from the ladies that means I don't like foreplay?

I think you're mixing foreplay and flirting up a little bit ;)
my point is that flirting is foreplay when you're drunk.
75956117.png

Besides, I don't really care if you are turned off when I say no to a drink, cause.... I don't like dudes.
I mean I'm sure we can be friends, but I don't want you to get the wrong idea :D
no simon. not i'm turned off by it. it's a turn off.
ladies don't like it. period.
unless she happens to like lots of....friction.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score
my point is that flirting is foreplay when you're drunk.
75956117.png

no simon. not i'm turned off by it. it's a turn off.
ladies don't like it. period.
unless she happens to like lots of....friction.
Your mom's not complaining ;)

Sorry?

Anyway, I never said I didnt like foreplay - I just don't like the idea of a girl buying me a drink.
That doesn't mean I don't like to flirt either, where did you get that idea anyway ? :D

I flirt all the time, practice makes perfect

HobbeBrain

Reaction score
Of course it is sexism.

In the first half of the 20th Century, women expected men to hold doors open for them, give up chairs for them, pay for everything, etc., and women were expected to stay at home and keep up the house.

In the 21st Century those expectations are out of date and should be forgotten.

I would NEVER give up my chair for a healthy woman.

I have never stood when a woman entered a room, because to me, everyone should be treated the same, regardless of sex.
(Actually, I don't think I've ever seen that situation at all.)

I respect men and women, and if I would not give up my chair for a man, why should I give it up for a woman?

The only time I would give my chair up at all is in the case of a feeble, old, ill, or pregnant person, or if I'm on my way out of the room.

I also only open doors for people who are behind me, and most of the time, they are so close that they have to grab it themselves to walk through it. It's not because I want to be a 'gentleman', it's only because I don't want the door to hit them in the face. If they're in front of me, I'm not going to rush in front of them and open the door for them, that's just foolish and unnecessary. Now if it's an old, feeble, ill, or pregnant person, yeah, I'll open the door for them, or if someone's got their hands full, but if they're perfectly capable of opening their own door, nope, get it yourself.

dgmhrsjchkjf.jpg