• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The 'Today Show' thinks Adult Gamers are Weird

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
todayshow.png
Nice trollface. The hosts of The Today Show took time out of their daily routine to poke fun at those who still game in their adulthood. Asked whether it was okay for men in their 30s and over to still be playing video games, Kathie Lee Gifford while laughing stated "No, that's weird... Xbox" followed by their unanimous proclamation that "When you're in your thirties, there should be something more on your mind or attention than video games."​
But they do agree however that if you're playing games with your children that it's totally okay. It should be noted that the average gamer is around 37 years of age, with 42% of total gamers being women and 29% being the elderly.​
It's unfortunate that in 2011 many still believe that games are meant for kids, and adults that do such things are basement dwellers that live with their mothers. Maybe I'm alone in this, but the thought of old women gossiping like teenagers and obsessing over young celebs at a roundtable is pretty weird.​

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Maybe I'm alone in this, but the thought of old women gossiping like teenagers and obsessing over young celebs at a roundtable is pretty weird.

You're nowhere near alone. I hate that kind of meaningless, shallow, judgmental talk show bullshit so much that I count as 50 people standing on your side of this topic.

However, on the topic of adult gamers, there's nothing wrong with them. In fact, I've always expected to be one of them as I got older. I don't expect to lose interest in video games as time goes on, and I'm not just going to stop gaming because society says I'm too old. I think the biggest problem here is that society doesn't recognize gaming as a legitimate hobby like playing a sport or a musical instrument. That's why some people frown upon adults spending a lot of time on video games.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
You're nowhere near alone. I hate that kind of meaningless, shallow, judgmental talk show bullshit so much that I count as 50 people standing on your side of this topic.

However, on the topic of adult gamers, there's nothing wrong with them. In fact, I've always expected to be one of them as I got older. I don't expect to lose interest in video games as time goes on, and I'm not just going to stop gaming because society says I'm too old. I think the biggest problem here is that society doesn't recognize gaming as a legitimate hobby like playing a sport or a musical instrument. That's why some people frown upon adults spending a lot of time on video games.

I agree. Video games as a hobby isn't much different as --for example-- playing chess for a hobby, but games get so heavily associated with children that it often gets bundled up in the category with children's toys. I play games a lot, but I also go out and make a living, socialize with people on the outside and do many other things. I'll be playing games for a very long time and intend to get my kids, grandkids, and others into gaming and them carrying it on.

The hell with anyone who says it's wrong.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
They have stereotyped gamers and im sure if they saw the games of today and actually did some research they would see we are long past the Space Invaders era and gaming is no longer merely 30 year old nerds in parents basements and children. Its a multi-billion pound industry that makes more money than both the movie and music industry. Think they are the ones who should grow up and mature a little.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I didn't get into gaming until I was an adult and I don't even own a basement. Wish I did.

I see it as more interesting, varied and fun than the activities women my age are "supposed" to be interested in. I have no love of Cosmo magazine, what Posh is wearing to some random celeb's wedding or whether I should go for fuschia or cerise polish for my nails. I don't want to join the local baking circle, I don't even own a working iron, cooking is something my mother does at dinner time, I don't want to hang out with other mothers who have nothing to talk about than their snot-nosed offspring and if one more person thinks that I need to discuss the relative merits of mortgages compared with the rental market just because I have my own home I might just cry.

Put it this way: A co-op game of something awesome with people you can have a laugh with or watching "how clean is your house?" and wondering where to get that particular brand of window cleaner. Which is more appealing?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I thought gathering in your living room(or studio as it were) and gossping/judging other people was something women in their 40's+ wouldn't have time for. They should have other things in mind. I thought that was something only teenage brats did.

Who's really pathetic here?

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score
I didn't get into gaming until I was an adult and I don't even own a basement. Wish I did.

I see it as more interesting, varied and fun than the activities women my age are "supposed" to be interested in. I have no love of Cosmo magazine, what Posh is wearing to some random celeb's wedding or whether I should go for fuschia or cerise polish for my nails. I don't want to join the local baking circle, I don't even own a working iron, cooking is something my mother does at dinner time, I don't want to hang out with other mothers who have nothing to talk about than their snot-nosed offspring and if one more person thinks that I need to discuss the relative merits of mortgages compared with the rental market just because I have my own home I might just cry.

Put it this way: A co-op game of something awesome with people you can have a laugh with or watching "how clean is your house?" and wondering where to get that particular brand of window cleaner. Which is more appealing?

I don't know, window cleaner is some pretty intense stuff, I must say.

Angel Fyre Locke

Angelic Devil
Reaction score
This is exactly the same situation anime fans are going through I must say. People see anime and think, oh I watched stupid cartoons when I was a kid so anything cartoon must be stupid and for kids.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
This is exactly the same situation anime fans are going through I must say. People see anime and think, oh I watched stupid cartoons when I was a kid so anything cartoon must be stupid and for kids.

No anime series suffers that kind of treatment more than Avatar. Technically, it's not Japanese anime, but it's still the same stuff, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

...I do all of these things. Well... except the talking to mothers about their kids. As I have no kids that would just be weird. And the whole mortgage-blah-blah part, I don't talk about that either.

At the moment I'm at the age where I don't really feel that it's a problem, or that it would be even if I was older. Though I am the only one out of my female-friends who actually is classed as a gamer, I suppose. Though it doesn't really bother me. I like being different.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
i'm not bothered by the fact i game a lot. it keeps me indoors occupies my hands and my mind, and keeps me from spending money so i can afford to pay for school in fall. in this day and age i've met more middle-aged men that game (or did and remember it fondly) than those who don't, and my own granddad bought himself an xbox 360 because he thought halo 3 looked like fun. whoever looks down on someone for what they choose to do in their free time has some real growing up to do.