• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Worst Change They Made

Warpedhero

Warped Hero
Reaction score
The Worst Change They Made

I have grown bored with Fable II at the moment, so I decided to replay Fable I.

Through this experience, it has come to my attention that there is ONE MAJOR THING that the developers of Fable II screwed up that made the game annoying:

The cutscenes.

Let's face it.

Fable I had normal cutscenes. You weren't really "involved" in them, but you did have the option to skip them if you wanted to get on with the game.

In Fable II, you have to sit there and wait for the scene to end and you can't move from the little region you're in until it's over! To me, there's nothing worse than trying to replay a game and being forced to wait ten minutes on a stupid scene to finish. Mindnumbing.

On a lighter note, I LOVED the two or three actual CUTSCENES that were included, especially the superior graphics in the Spire cutscene.

Why didn't they just do that with all the major cutscenes? Fable I had a unique way of showing cutscenes, and it still shows in the Chamber of Fate. Why did they abandon that concept in Fable II? It was brilliant!

But, the more I look at Fable II, the more I realize that to me it is a caricature of the original Fable. Sure, it's funny, but it lacks the depth and seriousness of it's predecessor. Hopefully Fable III will correct these errors and regain my interest.

Anyone else have any thought on this?

darkblossom

rukia kuchiki
Reaction score
Re: The Worst Change They Made

cut scenes look rubbish on fable 2 i prefer fable tlc grahpics

handsdown65

A Smart Fella
Reaction score

That was one of Fable II's 'features' - interactive cutscenes. I think Fable III is going to have cutscenes... Probably at major plot points like Fable, and interactive for the less imporant bits.

MrNoob

Reaver's Fanatic
Premium
Reaction score

I always keep my trusty laptop with YouTube next to me during the cutscenes during the eight million times I've replayed Fable II... It's been so long since I've played the original Fable so I hardly even remember what the cutscenes were like, but the ability to skip is wonderful as well.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score

magic system

Ryu_the_fox

Reaction score

handsdown65;426944 said:
That was one of Fable II's 'features' - interactive cutscenes. I think Fable III is going to have cutscenes... Probably at major plot points like Fable, and interactive for the less imporant bits.

Complete BS man, the "interactive" cut scenes just allowed certain expressions for different responses, didn't affect the game at all.

GrimWhim

Reaction score

Worst change they made? The auto-aim feature. That made me sick to my stomach. Even casuals don't fail so hard that they need an auto-aim feature like this. It was terrible and made me feel like I was too stupid or too unskilled to shoot anything on my own.

Also, the charging magic system was awful. It took too long and the lack of variety in spells was upsetting. I don't mind no mana bar but when you remove spells and make it so that using magic is essentially your way of telling everyone how masochistic you are, that's when I get ****ed.

I can only hope that Fable III has made both of them better, even if I don't use one or the other.

Warpedhero

Warped Hero
Reaction score

Ryu_the_fox;427525 said:
Complete BS man, the "interactive" cut scenes just allowed certain expressions for different responses, didn't affect the game at all.

Plus no matter which expression you use, Theresa is indifferent.

Mortull

Reaction score

All valid points. Personally, I missed armour the most.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

GrimWhim;427543 said:
Worst change they made? The auto-aim feature. That made me sick to my stomach. Even casuals don't fail so hard that they need an auto-aim feature like this. It was terrible and made me feel like I was too stupid or too unskilled to shoot anything on my own.

Really? I actually liked it. Mostly because I'm terrible at aiming with the thumbsticks (which is why I generally stay away from console shooters). I still felt like it was me doing the killing, and it kind of makes sense when you bear in mind that most of the players of the game are uncoordinated teenagers, and not skilled sharpshooters, which is the kind of character you play in the game.

Maybe the option to turn it on or off would be good, but.

GrimWhim;427543 said:
Also, the charging magic system was awful. It took too long and the lack of variety in spells was upsetting. I don't mind no mana bar but when you remove spells and make it so that using magic is essentially your way of telling everyone how masochistic you are, that's when I get ****ed.

I didn't like the tiered nature of the magic system, but it wasn't so bad. I preferred the system in Fable TLC though, and for the life of me I can't figure out why they got rid of it.

handsdown65

A Smart Fella
Reaction score

Ryu_the_fox;427525 said:

Yeah I know but I'm saying that PM was like 'yeah, theres no cutscenes throughout the game, only a couple...' but they should've just kept cutscenes in like in F1