• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Well, ive had just about enough.. *spoilers*

C

Campini

Re: Well, ive had just about enough.. *spoilers*

Perhaps my vast array of problems with the game overshadowed any emotional attachment I would have had to it. I love wandering around an alternate universe being whomever i want, my main beef was with the storyline. And on another note - I wish I had a wife like you! Mine is completely inept when it comes to video games (I even bought her her own 360) and all she'll play is two player games (they cant be shooters, for some reason she CANT aim at all) when i practically force her. She laughed at me when I bought fable II and told me not to turn into a D&D nerd on her.

Edit: Oh yeah, on FPS's, my views I discussed only hold true for the multiplayer aspect. I usually thoroughly enjoy playing through on single player, except for those where the story sucks. But if the story is good, i love them (Bioshock, Dead Space, Halo 1 & 2 ((3 had an OK story)) etc). Haha, and I love your sig.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Campini;231075 said:
Perhaps my vast array of problems with the game overshadowed any emotional attachment I would have had to it. I love wandering around an alternate universe being whomever i want, my main beef was with the storyline. And on another note - I wish I had a wife like you! Mine is completely inept when it comes to video games (I even bought her her own 360) and all she'll play is two player games (they cant be shooters, for some reason she CANT aim at all) when i practically force her. She laughed at me when I bought fable II and told me not to turn into a D&D nerd on her.

Edit: Oh yeah, on FPS's, my views I discussed only hold true for the multiplayer aspect. I usually thoroughly enjoy playing through on single player, except for those where the story sucks. But if the story is good, i love them (Bioshock, Dead Space, Halo 1 & 2 ((3 had an OK story)) etc). Haha, and I love your sig.
lol - well I wasn't even remotely into games until I met Steve (projectego) and it still takes a lot of coaxing before I'll play Gears of War or Halo with him :lol:

Multiplayer is not for me - I get too stressed out apart from anything else. People camping, glitching, teabagging, mouthing off when I can't do whatever weirdness they can do because they are apparently amazing gamers etc etc. Single player or co-op with someone I know is about as far as I'll go, on the whole.

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting the main storyline to be as short as it was - I was fully expecting to take the best part of a year to complete it, as with Fable TLC (yes, I am that bad) and when the ending arrived I genuinely sat there going "huh?" for a good ten minutes. But not really in a bad way - I liked how I'd actually managed to finish a game without asking anyone to do it for me; for me that's a huge accomplishment :lol:

The enemies on Fable 2 are far easier for me than with the original game - those minions and weird tall ice monster things which I have forgotten the names of were almost impossible for me to do.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Yeah, for some reasong they made it easier, but a whole lot funnerer... than the last one.

C

Campini

Yeah, i wish i could convince my wife to even play co-op easy-going games just with me... but she wont =( guess ill be trading in her 360 for a game or two but ive been saying that for months and I just dont have the heart (plus its nice when friends come over and we dont have to play split-screen). Multiplayer (especially FPS's) is way too competitive for me, i like to go at my own pace even though i enjoy a good challenge, but multiplayer competitive games arent a challenge from my perspective, its just whoever can exploit the game's glitches and camp spots the most and a bunch of 14 year olds talking about things 14 year olds shouldnt talk about. I just dont like feeling like my character is immortal and can stand there and take whatever beating any enemy can throw at him without any penalty but a lousy scar (which if im playing an evil character is actually a benefit).

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

I think that is part of the appeal for the casual gamer - the ability to not die. Whilst for many who are more familiar with these sorts of games and know how to avoid getting slammed, those who have picked it up thinking it would be quite fun to have a go will not feel the frustration of dying over and over again just because they can't do it as well as someone else might.

Certianly when dealing with bandits in the cemetary as community service as soon as I became an adult, I "died" about four times coz I was simply not experienced enough as a character to cope with a full-on assault from all sides. I had done no levelling up, had about a centimetre of health on my bar and was about as strong as a ball of cotton wool against seven fully equipped bandits. If that had been the point where Game Over was reached, just doing that little non-event, I'd have been so irritated I would have not bothered with the game for a while. I think PM's aim to reach the casual/unconverted gamers was done rather well - whether he'll continue in the same vein with future games remains to be seen, but it made a good impression on me. I hate being killed off early on in a game - i find it demoralising and makes me think "well, if this is how it's going to be now, how in the hell am I supposed to manage it later on, let alone complete?"

And your wife has it easy - Steve won't even entertain the idea of playing co-op with me unless I do it on the hardest level. Apparently it's good for something, but I've yet to see what's so great about getting stamped on in Gears of War for the umpteenth time whilst I try to figure out how to take cover :lol: Still, I've earned myself a new Elite so can't grumble too much... :D

moonfever

Premium
Reaction score

I loved the ending. It was perfect to me. I am on my third game, and it's so wonderful. :)
Can't understand why there are complaints on a game that I have been so excited about. If I don't have coop, on certain parts, I die so many times, so it's not easy to me.:unsure:
Especially the basements. The underground tunnels, can be very hard.:( I died 5 times in one and had to reload, and get my friend to help.

C

Campini

Im probably just as inept as you guys and died like 15 times while trying to kill the large shard (the real final boss battle) but I still think there should be some loss (not necessarily a "game over, start from your last save" but perhaps a loss of experience you already gained instead of the experience laying around or something like that. Just something to make you afraid to die and willing to invest in potions and such to keep you alive. I dont really have a beef with the game as I said before, I had great fun playing it, its just the story left alot to be desired and I felt it was thrown together and we deserved more.

Skormsarrow

ShOoT tHaT pOsIoN aRrOw
Reaction score

I agree the ending was annoying since i killed him with a rusty pistol lol (cant stand the guns on fable 2) but I can also understand PM not making Lucien as strong as anything else you fought because when it comes down to it he is just human and just using the spire, how ever they could have made it so he calls for say 10 guards or 5 of them mages he uses, he runs away you kill them you catch him up he calls another wave of guards this could repeat 3-5 times then he ends up running back to the wish room where you can then just 1 hit him you know, common sense like the guards wouldn't just vanish there were hundreds in the spire and you got a clear run straight up to Lucien no resistance

C

Campini

Exactly. Especially the fact that Reaver shot him if you listen to his speech which happened to me the first time and was sooo disappointing that I would have had more satisfaction killing Reaver instead.

Orpheus Lupus

The Pretty-Okay Doctor
Reaction score

Honestly, I think the problem most people are having is that the concept of an role-playing game has become stuck to a certain type of game in many (admittedly mostly male...It'd be embarassing to tell you why I say that, lol) gamers' minds.

Somewhere along the line, people became convinced than an RPG automatically featured levels, grinding, really tough bosses, hour-long final boss battles, 30-hour-long storylines that may or may not need to be that long (depends on the story and size of the locations, y'see), tons of armor and weapons you need to frequently upgrade and/or replace...That sort of thing. Not to mention whether or not you hit something being determined by a stat and ignoring the fact that yes you actually fired at it.

But to be honest, that's really predictable. It's fine for people who love that type of RPG, but that's not the only type of RPG. Role-playing means just that, playing a role. Fable 2 gave me that impression more than some other games, though plenty others do. It's just not one of the previously mentioned games, you know? There can still be diverse types of RPGs. Just don't expect them to be tailored to your tastes if your tastes are for a specific type. Be veeeeeery careful about what RPGs you buy.

C

Campini

I dont expect for my tastes to be tailored to, I was merely dissapointed by the story. I already pointed out that I loved all the other aspects of the game included the "playing a role" part of it and I wish someone would make an RPG which would combine those elements with the elements you mentioned in the first part of your post. I just like an involved story with (intelligent) plot twists, difficult puzzles, dungeons with hard bosses (so you feel like you accomplished something) and different characters to add to the dynamics of your party. Most of the role playing games currently available offer little choice, you are placed in the role of an already-established character and work from there, which works from a story point of view. But still, your choices (edit: in fable II) really have no impact on how the game ends up, like i said before, and the main characters still treat you like a god even if you go around slaughtering every innocent in sight (which I also said before). If your more evil than lucien than how does the story even work?

Orpheus Lupus

The Pretty-Okay Doctor
Reaction score

Yes, the story could have been improved in some ways, as all stories can (to varying degrees)...But that WAS one of the tastes I was talking about. Yes, that would be great for someone to combine all of them. I do hope someone does that some day, although I'm personally not sure if I'd like the difficulty getting in the way too much...I'll have to see.

How does the story work if you're evil? There's nothing that says you didn't want the Spire for yourself...
Theresa simply steals it from you at the very last moment. As for a question you had in an earlier post, the reason why Lucien was considered evil (it is somewhat left up to the player's thoughts whether or not he was) was that he intended to rule absolutely over everything, which probably means that anything out of line with what he wanted would be destroyed. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely" is the idea here...That's why Theresa only gives you one wish as a reward. Basically absolute power shouldn't be placed in one person's hand. Of course, this includes Theresa, which probably sets up for the next one somehow.

C

Campini

True, theres nothing to say that you didnt want the spire for yourself, but the other three heroes still act like your the savior of the day even if your evil as hell and do want the spire for yourself. My game tastes go far and wide and I like many kinds of RPGs (action, turn-based, time-influenced turn-based, etc), I just thought the story left much to be explained and desired (not to mention the many many unanswered questions).

G

Goretex

It's mysteries like the big thing with Theresa that give stories depth and create an actual arch for the Fable world. Besides, it gets pretty boring having to deal with a 'happily ever after' ending for so long.

C

Campini

I didnt say I wanted a happilly ever after ending or anything of the sort, I love a little mystery but "depth" is not the word for fable II's story. "slapdash" is more apt. Theres no depth worth a ****, and the "mystery" your talking about is more like utter confusion.

T

thebeastlyboy15

the game wasnt boring or dissapointing! it was great, the people who dont like it seem to be the ones who expected a lot by reading all the forum topics titled "What do you want to be in Fable 2???"

i truly love the game and cant stop playing it (yes ive beat it) and hope the dlc brings much more fun

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

Yes, the story was lacking in the game, but the options of "character morphing", being very player-friendly, and the element of choice/consequence i feel makes the player buy into their created characters much more than in other games...consequently buying into the Fable story much more easily. So while everything you say is true keep in mind that Fable is more about seeing how big your horns can get and how many hearts you see when you enter a town than about killing the enemy. Face it everyone. when you played fable 1, NOT the lost chapters, killing Jack of Blades was more about choosing between good points and the strongest sword in the game than it was about ending his evil. While i choose not to criticize....those are some ****ing good point. I mean you for the most part are manipulated by Theresa, who shouldn't even be alive, and just as bad as your nemesis. the mid december DLC better include a more story because quite frankly...i COULD use some.

Zebinia

Kuahana
Reaction score

thebeastlyboy15;233423 said:
the game wasnt boring or dissapointing! it was great, the people who dont like it seem to be the ones who expected a lot by reading all the forum topics titled "What do you want to be in Fable 2???"

i truly love the game and cant stop playing it (yes ive beat it) and hope the dlc brings much more fun

Sorry but I think you're wrong. For months Peter Molyneux was talking about how they hired professional writters to tell a truly amazing story. He said countless times that he wanted the players to experiece many emotions, including love. All of our hopes weren't self induced, we were told how incredible this story would be by the man in charge of this games developement and it didn't deliver.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, but the story was sub par at best. I now realize why he never named any of these "professional writters"

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

Yahp Peter lied, the game is not finishd at all(but they met the deadline hurray?) Fable 2 was supposed to have a storyline youd remember the rest of your life and a buncha mystery but instad we got the worst stoyline of my life and a bunch of confusion and anger.