• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What do you think of when you hear "Norfolk?"

Which Norfolk do you think of when you hear "Norfolk?"

• Total voters

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
I think of the US one, but only because of Miami 2017 by Billy Joel.

"They sent a carrier out from Norrrr-fock!"

EDIT: It's actually a really good song, you should go listen to it.

Avarael

Reaction score
"Norfolk Island is a small islandhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island in the Pacific Ocean located between Australia, New Zealand and New Caledonia. The island is part of the Commonwealth of Australia, but it enjoys a large degree of self-governance. Together with two neighbouring islands, it forms one of Australia's external territories."

Yay Wikipedia.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
No, that's like saying "which do you think of first when you hear 'Birmingham,' the US city or the UK city?" Only the Norfolk in the US is way more important than the one in the UK, and the Birminghams are roughly equivalent.

Ok, but when someone says "Google" do you think of the number, a one followed by 100 zeros or the search engine? It's like that. Unless you're a mathematician (and an old one who uses Bing) then the number wont even cross your mind.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
i think of food. these burgers are taking too damn long to cook.
is the meat ready to eat if it's bleeding?

Yes. If you're a vampire.
dude... way to answer everyone else. i'm starving here! :(

Find dracula, become a vampire, and then eat the hell out of that steak. Then you will no longer be starving.

Ok, but when someone says "Google" do you think of the number, a one followed by 100 zeros or the search engine? It's like that. Unless you're a mathematician (and an old one who uses Bing) then the number wont even cross your mind.

Um... exactly. Unless you're from the UK, Norfolk (UK) is completely unimportant. Norfolk in the US is important in the same way as Ramstein or Andrews or Benning. Well, aside from the fact that nobody actually knows about Andrews.

Seriously, it's very odd. People who live less than thirty miles away will look at you and go, "Andrews Air Force Base? What's that?"

It's the Air Force base that Air Force One and most of the 10th Military District air units fly out of. Since BRAC went through it's technically "Joint Base Andrews Naval Air Facility," but that sounds really ****ing stupid.

HobbeBrain

Reaction score
Um... exactly. Unless you're from the UK, Norfolk (UK) is completely unimportant.

My point was that one is more known than the other. But yeah, I'm begining to see your point. I just think Norfolk in England is more a matter of Geograhy whereas Norfolk VA is more military knowledge.

Cain

Reaction score
Norfolk UK comes up first because its larger. With individuals it comes down to where they are from or what are their interests. If you don't live in the UK most people will think NY when you say 'York'. You've got more famous places than us, so let us have norfolk :p

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Of course I know what you're talking about. I was just talking about Norfolk shipyard. It is a real place, after all.

It is indeed a real place, but the one that I'm talking about isn't. Demi seems to get it.

Shirosaki

The Hollow Within
Reaction score
No, that's like saying "which do you think of first when you hear 'Birmingham,' the US city or the UK city?" Only the Norfolk in the US is way more important than the one in the UK, and the Birminghams are roughly equivalent..
That's incredibly ignorant.

Frankly, the US copied names of places from most other places including the actual country, England.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score
Them lazy immigrants. Always jackin' their home country's names of places.

Avarael

Reaction score

Frankly, the US copied names of places from most other places including the actual country, England.
hah yeah. Just the other day I noticed there are 20 something Berlins in the USA. Skotekal is right.

HobbeBrain

Reaction score

Strictly speaking, when we went over to colonise America we just named cities after the ones back in England.

Which is another reason Norfolk in England is predominant; it's like our Norfolk is the original Godzilla 1952 and yours is the 1998 American remake.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, when we went over to colonise America we just named cities after the ones back in England.

Which is another reason Norfolk in England is predominant; it's like our Norfolk is the original Godzilla 1952 and yours is the 1998 American remake.

You did that here too.

Unimaginative bastards.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
I'm going to explore the rest of my body and name everything after you guys.

Cain

Reaction score
I have dibs on your right/White Knight hand.
And remember Purple Nurple. I'm sure you know what to name after him :p