• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anyone know anything about bullets?

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Looks like one of those old-school minie balls. Walker might know a thing or two about them.

I feel special. I know what they are, and I know that when I saw the picture that's what I thought of, but I have no idea whether that's what it is.

I'll see if FableFreak can pop in here for this...

I had that thought, too.

JohnDoe is right, it's a Minié ball.

They were used during the 19th century as a rifle bullet, they saw widespread use during conflicts such as the american civil war. They were a major step forward in bullet design.

Would a Minie ball have been used in England then or just America?

Yeps. A French guy named, predictably enough, Minié invented them. They were used all over the place because they let you reload a rifled musket as fast as an unrifled one. That little hollow place spread out and fit in the rifling when it fired.

They were invented (I don't know, so to Wikipedia) 1850ish. Maybe it's from the Crimean War?

Incidentally, that's really cool. Assuming it isn't some kind of random trash that happens to look like a minie ball. Where'd the whippersnapper find it?

EDIT: And even if it is a coincidence, that's a supremely weird coincidence so much that it's very cool itself.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Well initially she said it was over in the forest but turns out it was actually found in our local part of town called Etching Hill which as I'm not a native to this area I know very little about aside from it gets its name from this big old rock sticking up at the top of a hill which dates back to the ice-age and is made of sandstone. People go walking there all the time by the rock and Jessica was wandering around there when she found the whatever-it-is.

Most finds in our area are WW2 era so aside from this thing being incredibly heavy and rock-hard, I wasn't sure what to make of it or how to even go about looking it up. Jessica really wants it to be a real historical thing but I have warned her it's pretty unlikely...be cool if it was what you guys are saying it is though.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I think it is safe by now to tell her that it is infact a very, veeery old bullet.

Volume602.jpg

As for the source of this bullet...there is but one course of action.

TO THE LOCAL LIBRARY.

If Stephen King novels has taught me anything it is that local libraries know everything! Especially elderly librarians...

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to find somewhere local that could perhaps take a look at it for me and confirm or deny what the fudge it is....but I don't have a clue where to start. There's a military museum in Stafford but I don't know if they're the first people to contact or not?

EDIT: screw it, I've sent an email to the curator of the museum with the same pics I've put here and if I get a reply then great. If not, well I tried. Heading to the National War Memorial Arboretum next Friday anyway which is only a little way from the museum so I might just pop in with it anyway and see if anyone can look at it then. Worth a shot...

Drew2686

Nap time is before pants time.
Reaction score
Museums first definitely.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Awww. Hobbes, now you've hurt Walkers feelings...

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
D'aww, sorry Walker. Hugz?

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
Lies. Libraries are still sexy.

NO YOU BASTARD I'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU. That's my meal ticket you're disparaging.

Also, objectively speaking, libraries really are awesome.

Only because you're in them :3

(Compliment).

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Ohshit, now I'm going to get raped. HELP.