• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Awsome Mass Effect Video - Character creation revealed.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Re: Awsome Mass Effect Video - Character creation revealed.

He wrote KOTOR? Well, then I'm not sure of my estimation of his ability. I like a lot of the KOTOR characters, but I've never decided what I thought of the plots. I usually end up wavering and changing my mind every few seconds.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Walker;125573 said:
He wrote KOTOR? Well, then I'm not sure of my estimation of his ability. I like a lot of the KOTOR characters, but I've never decided what I thought of the plots. I usually end up wavering and changing my mind every few seconds.

Yeah he did indeed, he is Biowares lead writer ;)

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Which would make him Odin, or possibly Zeus amongst the RPG gods.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Tsuyu;125578 said:
Which would make him Odin, or possibly Zeus amongst the RPG gods.

:lol: very well said... +rep

:thumbsup:

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Okay, so let him bit a God among game-scriptwriters... but don't let him near novels... PLEASE! Hire a novel writer for it... He and James Luceno (or whatever that guy's name was. Wrote Rise of Darth Vader or Rise of the Dark Lord or whatever) are among the worst Star Wars writers I can think of, though not the worst writers outside of Star Wars.

But yes, KOTOR was good enough to raise my estimation of him.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Walker;125633 said:
Okay, so let him bit a God among game-scriptwriters... but don't let him near novels... PLEASE! Hire a novel writer for it... He and James Luceno (or whatever that guy's name was. Wrote Rise of Darth Vader or Rise of the Dark Lord or whatever) are among the worst Star Wars writers I can think of, though not the worst writers outside of Star Wars.

Have you actually read the Mass Effect novel...?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;125408 said:
nobody gets to borrow it... all mine... well, except for Andy :lol:
... but he didn't want to :getlost:

I would have if you wanted to be parted with it for a good 10-11 months or so :p

H

Hexadecimal

Walker;125633 said:

James Luceno has nothing to do with Mass Effect or Drew Karpyshyn... o_O
and Star Wars has nothing to do with Mass Effect... how a person works within someone else's creative bounds does not compare to how they work with their own IPs... if you don't like his Star Wars novels, don't read them :hmm:
his work is very good, but again, he is writing as a gaming writer first and foremost, which should be a good thing since this is a universe based around a game...
as far as hiring a novel writer, I don't see the need and it usually ends horribly when they do that...
why on earth would you want another person trying to interpret the game and retool it to serve their own ends which may or may not suit the original story, when they have the original writer who knows the story inside and out to do it for them...
not to mention the fact that the first novel came out before the game was released ...how are you proposing that another author could have miraculously dreamed up a novel for Mass Effect that would just so happen to fit into the Mass Effect Story? wouldn't they have to be working side by side with the writing team? why not just use the team itself then?, and the fact that the second novel is due out well before the second one is even written... Drew can make sure that in the second game he writes to follow what he wrote in the novel, but how would that work with an outside author? Some random author is going to be handed the ability to go ahead and write a novel which could alter the way in which the entire franchise will continue? I don't think so... come on now :hmm:

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Nope, Star Wars (and James Luceno) doesn't have anything to do with Mass Effect aside from the fact that Drew wrote in them both. That's what's called "a tangent." If you'll remember, I am very prone to them.

No, I have not yet read the Mass Effect novel, because I'm waiting for it to show up at the library, and I have a stack of other books to read first.

And all I was saying was that Drew did not write a very good novel, based on the one that I read... and said that someone with a greater technical ability in writing novels would be better for it, co-authored or ghostwritten or whatever.

However, I differ. If someone's technical writing ability is lacking in one book, they're not likely to magically becom good at it because they're writing in their own world. It's possible that familiarity and the freedom of their own world or whatever could improve it... but it's not that likely.