• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Depression

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score
Re: Depression

There are far more suicides amoung men then women. Although women attempt it more, men are about 4x more successful.

So men are better at it! :p So if all you gals want to be truely equal, your gonna have to start killing yourselves in greater numbers. :p

Suicide legal? actually I think its not, and Id love to see a corpse on trial. :lol:

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score

Hexen_Harlot;310419 said:
BaBOUSHka! He's gone!

Anyway, I don't really have a problem with suicide. In soem situations it's a waste, but why should it be anyone's business but your own?

What a terrible thing to say.

Lore;310870 said:
Yes. Life is short enough as it is. Why throw it all away? And peopel forget that the night is always darkest before the dawn. The rain will pass.

Yes. They should be thinking of their friends and family before they hurt them by killing themselves (if any are left).

Suicide legal? I think it has always been legal. I mean they can't stop you doing it. You just have to make sure that you do it right!

However, personally I believe suicide is a sure fire ticket to hell.

Suicide is illegal.

A sure fire ticket to hell? That's silly.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Lore;310870 said:
Yes. Life is short enough as it is. Why throw it all away? And peopel forget that the night is always darkest before the dawn. The rain will pass.

Generally true. Personally, I don't see the value in it, but other people do, and they should be able to do what they want with their life.

Lore;310870 said:
Yes. They should be thinking of their friends and family before they hurt them by killing themselves (if any are left).

These things should be considered, yes. But these people generally have other things on their mind.

Lore;310870 said:
Suicide legal? I think it has always been legal. I mean they can't stop you doing it. You just have to make sure that you do it right!

It's illegal. A failed attempt will have you on suicide watch to try and stop you from doing it. It's an infringement of liberty if you ask me.

Lore;310870 said:

Depends on who you listen to. It's an irrelevant comment anyway.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

The problem with making suicide "legal" is that a person who is going to commit suicide is in 99% of the cases in not in control of himself/herself. When suffering from depression you're not really in control of what you do.

It is a lot better to attempt to treat the reason why said person wants to kill him/herself rather than just go "Its your life! If you wanna jump off a bridge, I'm not gonna take that freedom of choice away from you.", wouldn't you agree?

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Tsuyu;310891 said:
The problem with making suicide "legal" is that a person who is going to commit suicide is in 99% of the cases in not in control of himself/herself. When suffering from depression you're not really in control of what you do.

It is a lot better to attempt to treat the reason why said person wants to kill him/herself rather than just go "Its your life! If you wanna jump off a bridge, I'm not gonna take that freedom of choice away from you.", wouldn't you agree?

Agreed. It would be most disturbing for the "survivor" to live on knowing that the suicide attemot could have been avoided. (from egoistic point of view)
Because I believe if the act is succesful, the one committing it isn`t the one suffering afterwards - but this kinda falls into Afterlife discussion.

jwc2200

Reaction score

Originally Posted by Lore
I respect your right to believe what you feel is right, but want to say this: Suicide being a "mortal" sin has a fairly short history, and no basis in the Bible:
The first comprehensive Christian-era legal code was the Code of Justinian. This codex, drafted about a century after St. Augustine, did not punish suicide, if the person had a good reason for killing himself; good reasons cited include, "impatience of pain or sickness, or by another cause, weariness of life... lunacy or fear of dishonor." In short, every reason except no reason at all, and that was punished only on the grounds that it was irrational: "whoever does not spare himself will not spare another."(8) Suicide did not become a crime under English Common Law until the 10th Century, in the appropriately-named Dark Ages.

WARNING-Bible verse only for those who are interested:
Romans 14:8, where it is written "For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's." Therefore, even according to the Bible, Christians cannot destroy that which belongs to God. Note also that according to this verse, they belong to God after they die no matter how or why they lived or died.

Tsuyu;310891 said:

I agree with you. This is not an attempt at humor, I really believe suicide, preferably assisted, should be legal, but with a medical/pschycological evaluation and a "waiting period" similar to that of purchasing a handgun.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Tsuyu;310891 said:

I'm definitely not saying it should be a free for all. Assisted suicide should be allowed after a mental examination thing, no matter what the other circumstances are.

jwc2200;311134 said:
I agree with you. This is not an attempt at humor, I really believe suicide, preferably assisted, should be legal, but with a medical/pschycological evaluation and a "waiting period" similar to that of purchasing a handgun.

That's what I'm getting at.

Lore

Ragged Wanderer
Reaction score

Hey. I know suicide is illegal in most countries. I think only TJ Griff understood what I meant. You can't put a corpse on trial. They can't stop you if you do it right.

@ Topaxi. There is nothing irrelevant about sharing my opinion. I wasn't trying to enforce my belief on anyone.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Lore;311309 said:
@ Topaxi. There is nothing irrelevant about sharing my opinion. I wasn't trying to enforce my belief on anyone.

I guess, but I was just annoyed with the way you put it. Fair call though.

seress

majo no messenger
Reaction score

Of course you have the right to kill yourself. And ending it is fairly easy.
I don't care whether it's legal or not. I don't care much about heaven or hell either. (Don't think such places exist anyway.) I only care about my loved ones and I don't wanna cause them pain coz I don't wanna be a selfish bastard.