• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable , the unofficial novel... and soon to be official!

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
Re: Fable , the unofficial novel... and soon to be official!

Purple Nurple;353930 said:
When will the next part come up? Im quite interested in seeing the finalized version, or will you just keep editing parts into your original post?

I'm not sure yet... I'll tell if I edited anything

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score

Here's Chapter Three... I wanted to make the apprentice life a bit more exciting than the game, where you have three training sessions and then an exam, without anything much happening in between... so I added a few characters...

Please tell me if I added too many characters...

Chapter 3
The Guard of Will

Six years have passed since the sacking of Oakvale. The outside world didn’t interrupt an apprentice’s life in the Guild, much due to the strict order that no one studying under the guild was allowed on the other side of the walls. This suited most of the guild anyway, for peace was easily maintained this way. Butterflies soared through the courtyard, as it was at spring’s peak. The fish in the stream were lively and growing in numbers, while the beetles in the Guild Woods were forced to migrate away, leaving the area safe. A couple of pre-teenage apprentices ran past a statue of Solcius, the morning sun reflecting off its bronze staff.
Not a long walk away from the melee rings was an island, protruding from the small pond’s centre. Right behind this island was a cute waterfall, rays of light bouncing of its rushing water into many colours. Added to the colours, were the remnants of many failed attempts to produce lightning by Will alone. Dominic was standing on the island, at least two feet taller than when he first started his training. He had excelled in all of his training methods, all but his Will techniques. When he first started out, the Guildmaster had explained the method of Will as a whole load more difficult than any other. Even at this comment, Dominic continued to persevere. But six years later, and still he wasn’t able to produce even the smallest bit of magic, but seeing his endless efforts, the Guildmaster asked an able senior to help him out.
“Focus all your thoughts into your palm,” said the young woman.
Dominic tried to keep his concentration under check, but still failed to do so. He sighed and dropped his hand. “It’s never going to work. I’m sorry but, I’m just not as good as Maze… or that new kid.”
She stood up and walked over to stand in front of him. “Now, that’s the first thing we need to take care of. Your Will won’t give you control unless you are confident in it.” Dominic looked up at her. In actual fact, it wasn’t because he was lousy or anything, but instead it was hard to concentrate on anything at all if your tutor could challenge Lady Amelia in a beauty contest. Her long, black hair flowed down her back, as smooth as silk. She wore the Guild Acolyte’s black uniform, which hugged her hourglass figure down to every curve. To top it all off, she wore a silver tiara engraved with sapphires, to hold her hair elegantly.
“I know, Elizabeth, but I just can’t-” he looked away from her, making it seem obvious. At this, she smiled.
“-keep focus?”
“Uhh… yeah, you get the point.”
“Then I think I might have something that could help,” she tore a piece of her sleeve off. “Close your eyes.”
He obeyed. She gently tied the cloth over his eyes, like a makeshift blindfold. “There… now, hold out your hand, and try again.”
He could feel her take a few steps backwards. He took a deep breath, and stretched his hand out. He focused, feeling his skin warming up. A fairly small light appeared, bright enough for Dominic to see. His fingers felt jumpy and hot.
“Throw your energy towards your opponent.”
He added more electricity to his hand and thrust his fingers to their full lengths. His fingertips frenzied with bolts of lightning, shooting one after another, fully distinguishable through the blindfold. Elizabeth told him to stop, and he did. He pulled the blindfold off and saw a moderately sized orb floating in Elizabeth’s cupped hands. It was blue in colour, sparkling and electrifying. “You did it! You finally conjured enough Will power to continue.”
“I did that?”
She smiled and threw the orb into the air, where it dispersed into many harmless lightning bolts. “You did very well, Dominic. Congrats!”
“Hey, Triple Boy!”
Dominic turned around to see Chad running towards him. Chad, too, had grown, but not as much as Dominic did, for he was a couple of years older than Dominic was. His hair was a messy grey, growing out of order. He had a small dagger strapped onto his belt, and a medium-sized warhammer in his hand. “Hey! The Guildmaster wants to see you!”
“Wh- Now?”
Chad skidded to a stop, almost dropping the heavy weapon he was holding, on the bridge that connected the island with the rest of the training grounds. “You know, you suck! Of course, he wants to see you now at the melee rings.”
Dominic turned to Elizabeth. “May I-”
“Quickly,” she smiled at him, with a wink. Dominic ran to follow the already-departed Chad, past a huge tree that had a locked chest, painted silver, stuck to its roots. They had tried to open it many times before, but none could ever get it unlocked. It was magical in a way, because whenever they try to pry it open, its golden trim will glint sarcastically at them. Chad slowed down, allowing Dominic to catch up. “Hey! I see you’ve finally made something ‘Will-ish’, I was starting to settle with the idea that you were too dim-witted or something…”
“Shut up, will you?”
“You suck.”
“Just shut up.”
They continued to jog in silence. Arriving at the melee rings, they were greeted by two people. The Guildmaster looked very much the same from six years ago, old, wise and short. Whisper, on the other hand, was much taller and fuller then when she was younger. Though she wasn’t as tall as Dominic, Chad or Alex, she was still tall, surpassing her other friends, Amber and Visa, in height and skill. She still had her hair in dreadlocks, but they’re let to grow long, ending smoothly at the ends.
“Ah, Dominic. How did your Will training go?”
“It was-” but before he could say more, Chad interrupted.
“He finally did some real hocus-pocus, although it won’t do much more than summon a rabbit out of a hat.”
“Uh… Thank you, McMillan. Shouldn’t you be… practising your agility skills? They are your weakest-”
“Yeah, yeah. I know,” and he left.
The three of them watched him walk over to another melee ring and greeted a senior acolyte. “Even after years, Mr McMillan hasn’t fizzled his envy out.”
“Nah… He’s just like that,” Whisper picked up her spear and waved it at Dominic. “C’mon, farmboy! I still want a rematch.”
Dominic unsheathed his new iron longsword. “After last week’s match, you don’t have a chance!”
They jumped into the nearest melee ring. The Guildmaster held his hand high to signal the start. “Let’s begin, shall we?”
“I’m ready when you are, farmboy,” Whisper fell into a martial arts stance.
“Got it-”
“Whisper!”
They turned to see an elephant of a man visiting them. He was a very tall man, taller than any man in Albion, with skin as dark as night. He had gold and brown armour on, his greatsword and shield hooked onto his back. On his chest, gleamed a very shiny seal, namely the Champion’s Seal. Dominic remembered the doll version of him from six years ago. The doll did not hint his size, not at all.
“Ah, Thunder! You’re just in time for your sister’s match.”
“Yes, I hear you’ve been training her with some amateur of a farmboy,” his voice was deep and strong. He smiled at Whisper. “Don’t make him too easy, will you?”
Whisper grinned back and turned to face Dominic. “What are you waiting for, an arrow?”
Old memories returned in a brief flash, making Dominic think happily to a time when he was only nine years old, when he almost had an arrow in his head. “Let’s get this over with!” They readied their weapons. Dominic held his sword horizontally, parallel to his head, with its hilt next to his ear.
The Guildmaster waved his hand. “You may begin.”
They circled each other, waiting for the first move. Whisper rushed forwards, her spear thrust forward. He sidestepped and parried the spearhead away. She spun her spear around, striking his shoulder blade with the blunt end. Dominic stumbled forwards and shook his shoulders. He turned around and swung his sword in an arc over their heads, blocked away by her spear handle. Whisper saw an opening, and quickly pushed her spear at his chest. He dodged again, grabbed the spear and jerked it violently, knocking her to the ground. She grasped her weapon tightly and pushed it against the ground like a pole, pulling enough momentum to get up and somersault over Dominic, landing on her feet but almost wrong-stepped. She steadied herself.
“No, Whisper. That’s all wrong,” Thunder barked at her from the sidelines. She tried to ignore him and stare at Dominic, who did the same. She attacked again, her spear shoved away a second after. She twisted around to block another flash of dark grey metal. As she blocked, he swiftly turned around and tried again, with her blocking again. (“Whisper! Wrong technique!”) Dominic stepped backwards, and stretched his leg out, tripping Whisper with a sweep kick. He stomped the head of her spear with the other leg and swung his blade again, stopping just an inch away from her throat.
“Enough!” The Guildmaster signalled the end of the match. “Very good, both of you-”
Thunder cut in, with an accusing finger pointed at Whisper who was getting on her feet. “That was terrible! You did everything wrongly, and you lost to a simple farmboy!”
Whisper’s shoulders sagged in shame, as she lowered her spearhead. Dominic noticed this, and glared at Thunder. “She would have done loads better if you kept your mouth shut and let her focus!”
Thunder met his gaze, and returned a poisonous stare. His hand twitched, glowing a very faint yellow. “What did you say, boy?”
“You heard me! So shut up!”
“Dominic, that is quite enough!” The Guildmaster put his hand on his shoulder and turned to Thunder. “I am afraid he is right, though. You shouldn’t break her concentration in a fight. If Dominic weren’t a fellow apprentice, then your sister would not be standing here with us.”
Thunder snorted, his hand returning to its dark state. “Come Whisper. You will train with me for the week,” he walked away.
Whisper smiled weakly at Dominic. “Hey, thanks farmboy, but don’t upset him again, okay?”
“Whatever.”
She ran off after her brother, the spear swinging in her hands. The Guildmaster stepped forwards and beckoned Dominic to follow him. “That was friendly of you to help her, but you should also keep that tongue of yours in check. You might have to battle Thunder one day, and being an Arena Champion, he won’t go down as easily as his sister.”
“I don’t care. When that day comes, I’ll just kick dirt into his face and strike him down.”
“That is possible… but for now, let’s get you ready and trained. Now, we shall see if your Archery skills are up to date,” he told Dominic. Dominic sheathed his sword.
The Archery range consisted of a ring not unlike the melee rings, but only a few times larger. Just beyond the ring, three ‘infamous’ straw dummies stood, each at a different distance from the edge of the ring. These dummies would move from left to right and back again, to imitate moving enemies. When they arrive at the range, Dominic found a pleasing sight. A crowd had gathered around the ring, observing the archer of the moment. Alex was staring down her arrow, aiming at the dodging dummies. Letting the shaft fly, it flew through two straw heads, and imbedded itself into the third dummy’s chest. Applause followed, as she turned around to meet the boy she had grown to like.
“Dommy! Where were you? I just broke a guild record!”
He stopped in front of her. “I was practising my Will.”
“Oh…” her head fell slightly. “… With Elizabeth…”
“Yeah, but I’m really happy for you. If I was even half as good as you, then I’d be setting new records as well!”
She brightened up, reminding him of their first meeting, six years ago. She hugged him, hard, making his face turn a ruddy red. Alex had grown as well. She was almost as tall as Dominic, and her hair were a foot longer. Her uniform now fitted around her curves, gaining her many admirers, not excluding Dominic. She looked every inch like Saggitaria of The Hunt.
Dominic returned the smile and the hug. “Well, it’s my turn now.” She didn’t budge. “Uh… Alex?”
“What?”
“I said it’s my turn now.”
“Oh!” She let go of him. “Oops! Sorry…” she walked out of the circle, blushing.
“Never mind that then… can I have my bow?” He looked to the acolyte at the side. He handed Dominic a longbow made out of yew. He got into position and pulled the bowstring back. He released his first arrow. Striking the middle dummy in the chest, he pulled another arrow into place. He fired several more and scored. Behind him, a wink passed between Chad and a newer apprentice. The apprentice took a bite out of the apple he held, chewed a bit, and tossed the fruit at Dominic, breaking his concentration.
“Dommy!” yelled Alex.
His eyes widened, as he spun around out of instinct. He spotted the red thing flying at him and fired, impaling it and sending it flying further into the air. There was a mixture of gasps and clapping from the pre-teenage apprentices.
“Excellent reflexes, Dominic. You did well,” said the Guildmaster. He then turned to the new student, calmly. “Donaven Vangard, you will cease these interruptions at once! You have caused enough commotion for Dominic during his Will training for the past one month. If I hear anymore of this, I shall send you to see Maze.”
“Yes, Guildmaster, it won’t happen again.” Vangard smirked with a sigh. He was nearly a head taller than Dominic, but a slight thinner. His shoulder-length hair was a reddish-brown, and his skin made him look foreign, only it wasn’t as dark as Whisper’s or as pale as Alex’s.
The Guildmaster nodded and turned back to Dominic. “That was an outstanding show of quick thinking there. Very vital in a hero’s life. Now, if you’ll follow me, we shall see just how well your Will training went.”
They walked to the Arcanum Island, the place where Dominic was training that morning. He walked across the bridge and onto the centre of the island. “Now then, dummies will jump out of the ground from time to time. You are to destroy as many as possible, but be warned: they can fire back, so be careful.”
Dominic was left alone on the island; everyone else retreated to watch from outside his Will’s reach. Watching were the Guildmaster, Alex, Elizabeth, Vangard and some other apprentices and acolytes. He stood still and focused, waiting for the first surprise. There was a noise that sounded very much like spring mechanism, and from a hidden trap door, a dummy sprung up. This one, though similar in shape and size to the others in the guild, had a small, orange jewel embedded into its chest. A crystal, it looked like. He pulled his focus into hyper drive and shot a stream of lightning, destroying the dummy’s crystal, as it sank back into its hiding spot. Another appeared in an instant’s time and shot a small fireball from its crystal. Dominic ducked and rolled away, throwing more Will at it. That dummy, too, retreated, to be replaced by another. He ducked again, but was slower this time. While he concentrated on the dummy, yet another appeared behind him. He was caught in surprise. Panicking, he tried to throw bolts of lightning at both. In his mad rush, he missed both, but both did not miss. He fell diagonally and broke a finger. Trying to get up, he was shot by another blast of fire. The dummies came on a faster rate with every second, as Dominic was thrown around the island, pathetically.
“Guildmaster! Stop this, please!”
He nodded and raised both hands.
“No!”

All around him, Oakvale was burning. Shops and houses crumbled to ashes, the many trees that once provided shade, now empty of leaves and the living. Red, orange and black colours, dominated the scene. Bandits, with machetes covered in blood, surrounded him from all angles, laughing maniacally, as they closed in…

“No, I am not done yet… Not YET!” He yelled and stood on his feet, right at the centre of the island. He raised one hand, clenching it in a tight fist. His eyes widened, glowing violently. His fist combusted into flames, as he slammed his fist into the ground. Everyone gasped- in amazement… and in fear.
From where the fist touched the ground, a wave of fire blasted through the island, stopping only at the pond’s water. Every dummy, hiding or not, dissipated, and the island burned up. A shockwave flew through the entire guild, knocking everyone in a five-mile radius off their feet. Then, as quickly as it came, it went. Dominic fell to the ground, his face against ashes and straw, immediately sought to by several onlookers…

Dominic awoke with the queen of all headaches. He blinked, staring at a ceiling, covered in murals. The hospital wing. He was sleeping in the Guild Infirmary. Why was he sleeping here, and not in his dormitory? He tried to remember, what had happened the previous day. But all he could think of was a certain dream he had. In the dream, he had a shouting match with a giant version of Theresa’s old Thunder doll. In the same dream, he shot an apple out of the sky and was later bombarded by many fireballs. Then he grew berserk and destroyed all of the bandits in a single blow. It sounded strange, and yet, it all felt…real…
He looked down his bed, and realised the dream he had, wasn’t a dream after all. He was bandaged, thickly, around both arms, feet and chest. He tried to move, but winced in pain. He let out a deep breath.
“Hmm… Dommy…” a voice mumbled in the semi-darkness, next to him. Careful not to crack his neck, he turned his head to look to his left, and saw her long and slender figure, her chest rising and falling with every long breath, and her bow resting against the wall beside her. Alex sat on a bedside chair, fast asleep. “No… Dommy… Don’t go…” her head tilted to the side. Dominic smiled, and despite the pain, got out of his bed and onto his feet. He nearly fell, his injuries screaming in silence, but still he pulled himself together, picked his blanket up and tucked it around Alex. He leaned forwards, and pecked gently on her forehead.
A few minutes later, he was walking down a corridor, enjoying the stillness and the peace of the guild’s silence. Beside himself, no one was awake, their troubles slept away for the night. He was grateful that his broken bones have been healed (no doubt, by Elizabeth). He detoured around the courtyard and through the melee training grounds, relaxing and stretching, but as he neared the pond, he felt a human presence. Then, there was a very bright flash of red lightning, followed by the grunting of someone unsatisfied with something. Not all were asleep then. Dominic crept towards the Arcanum Island, silently so as to not startle the person. Dominic stopped on the now blackened bridge, watching in interest, and in surprise.
Donaven Vangard stood in the centre of the island, his fists bathed in a layer of red light, compressed to form gloves of light, sparking away like leaked electricity. “Come-On!” he grunted and slammed his fists into the ground. Another strong flash and the lightning dissipated into the earth. He fell to his knees, pounding the ground desperately. “Damn it, damn it, DAMN-IT!”
“You do know that earth absorbs lightning.”
Vangard jumped to his feet, aiming a charged ball of lightning at the shadow that spoke. Seeing Dominic in the dim glow of his will, he scowled. “What are you now? A ‘Know-It-All’, too?” The red ball grew brighter. “What are you doing here, anyway? Aren’t you suppose to be- like- dying?” The last sentence was muttered under his breath, but was audible enough to be heard by Dominic.
Dominic took a step forwards, and another, forgetting his pain. He smirked. “Are you jealous of me, too? Is that why you don’t like me?”
“Me? Jealous of you?! No-Way! You must be-” he threw the ball of lightning. “-Mad!”
Dominic was quick to counter. He held his hand out and absorbed the ball with his own Will, instantly turning it from red to blue.
“Look, if you have a bother, then say it! Is it because I’m taking three classes at once? Or is it because I have Elizabeth helping me out?”
There was no reply.
“Well, don’t just stand there. You look like an idiot-”
Vangard shot another ball at him, but it was absorbed as well. He yelled, running at Dominic and slamming his fist across the jaw. Dominic held his head, and felt the trickle of blood. He snarled back. “Oh, you didn’t…”
“Yes, I did!” He pulled back another fist but missed, as Dominic ducked, and punched him with the lightning-covered hand, transferring the shock. Vangard shook violently, before being knock back to the water’s edge. He recovered and rolled away, his hand glowing away. Throwing a stream of fire at Dominic, he charged up to him. Dominic, distracted by the flame, didn’t see Vangard coming and so was pounced on. Vangard slugged him repeatedly across the face. “I’m not jealous of you!”
“Rargh!” Dominic kicked him, hard. Vangard flew off him, landing in the water. Dominic quickly got onto his feet and charged a bolt of lightning, aimed at the squirming body that trashed the water’s surface.
“Wait! Don’t shoot!” Vangard lifted his hands in surrender. He knew that if Dominic were to release that lightning into the water, every single thing underwater will be electrocuted, including himself. “Enough…”
Dominic reversed the flow of Will, back into his veins. His hands stopped glowing, as he walked towards the new apprentice. “So are you gonna talk? Are you?!”
Vangard crawled onto dry, soft earth, and layed there for seconds, panting heavily. “Alright, then…alright…”
“Then talk!”
“Fine…” he rolled onto his hands and pushed himself onto his feet. He stared at Dominic for a moment’s time, then looked away, seemingly observing a pair of butterflies chasing each other around a water lily that grew beside the island, not far from the waterfall. “It’s Alex.”
“What?”
He sighed and turned to look back at the black haired teenager. “Ever since I got here, she never took a second glance at me. But every time I-I see the two of you… together, she would suddenly brighten up or something. I mean, the way she looks at you, the way she-the way she hugs you, I saw something special. Like this-this spark or- never mind…”
Vangard stepped closer to Dominic, looking into his eyes. “Every time she looks at you, she feels… safe. Its obvious that she doesn’t count you as just a friend.”
“She does?”
“What are you, blind? Of course she does! Haven’t you caught her staring at you from the other side of the dining hall whenever we have our meals? Or the way she asks if you needed anything? C’mon! I’ve only been here for a month, and I know, too!”
Dominic smiled, all of his rage disappeared. “No-Not really. I guess I’ve been too focused on my training, so…” with the small bit of strength he had left, he raised a hand, ready for Vangard to take. This surprised Vangard very much, for it was only a few minutes ago that they were fighting. He hesitated, but shook it anyway, and smirked back.
“You are kinda thick.”
“Wha-Hey!” And they laughed together. After a good fifteen seconds, Vangard pulled himself back together.
“Hey, since I didn’t really like you before, so I didn’t get to catch your name. What is it, by the way?”
Together, they walked back to their dormitories. “Its Dominic. Yours?”
“Donaven Vangard, but you should know that by now, right? After the number of times I got a telling off from the Guildmaster…”
“I am blur.”
“Yeah, that’s true,” Donaven sniggered. “Anyway, I’ve been asking around for other apprentices’ origins, but I can’t seem to find yours. I mean, Alex’s parents sent her here so that she can fend for herself while they travelled the world, and my hometown wants a hero stationed here to ensure their safety while they visit. What about you, then?”
Dominic stopped in his tracks, looking down with his back hunched. Donaven turned around and paused, too. “Wait! Is somethi-”
“No… Its just- nothing. Well, six years ago, I was just an ordinary kid, living an ordinary life, in an ordinary village called Oakvale-”
“You’re kidding!” Donaven’s eyes widened. “You lived in Oakvale?”
“Yeah, but you’re from… I don’t know where… so how did you know what happened there?”
They continued walking, Donaven putting an arm around Dominic’s back. “First fact: I come from Indus, it’s a country just off the east coast of Samarkand. And second fact: As soon as I got here, I asked everyone! The Guildmaster told me and my cousins of Albion’s recent history. It’s as simple as that!”
“Oh, alright…”
“Hey, sorry bout your family.”
“How did you-”
“You’re here, right? Then, I figured your family must have been- well- killed.”
“Never mind that, then. Don’t be sorry for something you didn’t do.”
“Then sorry for making everything so hard for you.”
Nah… I probably wouldn’t be as good, had you not.”
Donaven smile. “You’re not gonna let me be sorry for anything, are you?”
“Nope.”
“Ah well…” they walked into the silence of the dormitory halls, careful not to wake anyone up. “Oh, and one more thing.”
“What?”
“Can you teach me that spell you used? Not now, though. I mean later. I’m tired” They entered a dormitory chamber, filled with beds, bookshelves and sleeping apprentices.
Dominic smiled and looked away. “No problem. Actually, I might make that spell my favourite.”
Donaven stopped at a vacant bed, presumably his. On his bedside was a framed painting of what looked like his whole family. Donaven turned to face Dominic, smiling slyly. “Why?”
“It’ll keep my fans away when I’m famous.”

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score

Sorry for the extreme double posting, but I don't like to wait for comments... Anyway, here's Chapter 4...

Chapter 4
End One Day, And Start Another

A lone apprentice crept across a dirt path, amidst the many trees and undergrowth of the Guild Woods. On his guard, he held a crossbow in one hand, and an arrow, painted blue with green stripes, in the other hand. He surveyed the scene. Silence. There was an unnatural quietness flowing through this part of the Woods. All a bit too much, in fact. He blew a strand of jet-black hair out of his face, crouching his muscular posture, slightly. He had grown by a small number of inches, but not by a lot. Still, he was very skilled in his melee, particularly concerning his ability to wield a steel longsword.
He slowed to a crawl, waiting for a sound. Still, nothing. He pressed on, notching the arrow into place. Nothing…nothing…not-
There was a noise of moving leaves from above him. He aimed upwards and pulled the bowstring back until its elastic string touched his cheek. The thing in the treetops looked at him and bounced away. Damn. It was the Guildmaster’s squirrel. He sighed and lowered his bow.
“Got you, boy!”
A long and mighty staff, made of an azure metal, appeared at the edge of his eyesight’s range. He dodged and rolled away, just missed by millimetres. He recovered and shot a quick arrow at the advancing figure. The man deflected it off his staff. “Come on, boy! You can do better than that!”
Maze aimed his hand at Dominic, making it pulse with Will. Lightning shot and hit Dominic’s bow, perishing it away. Dominic stumbled backwards, trying to ignore the burn on his palm. “Ouch… Nicely done, Maze. That wasn’t my bow.” The man, with no mercy to show, threw a long string of lightning, which Dominic managed to catch with his untouched hand. He smiled and, with the connection still intact, thrust his hand forward, thus reversing the flow. There was a bright but small explosion, which propelled Maze off his feet. He landed on a fallen tree trunk and quickly pushed himself up. Smirking, he ran at Dominic. The apprentice drew his steel longsword and parried Maze’s attack away. He rolled under another of his swings, spun around and kicked Maze in the back, sending him to the ground again. Maze dodged his next attack and grabbed the sword, sending a wave of electricity through it. Dominic, slightly shocked, let go of the blade.
“This isn’t looking too well, Dominic!”
“Remind me to beat up the guy who forgot the leather handle for-” he ducked the staff “-this sword.” He thrust his fist into Maze’s gut, making him double over. With another kick to the face, Dominic pulled at the staff, but as soon as he did this, he realised his mistake. Maze loaded the staff with electricity and so blasted Dominic back. Stunned, he raised his hand in an attempt to throw some Will around. Maze spun the staff and swept Dominic off his feet, then thrust the sharp end downwards, stopping just a mere hair’s breath from Dominic’s Adams apple.
“End of examination.”
Maze pulled his staff away and sheathed in onto his back. Dominic smiled nervously, trying to push himself up. “Well, did I pass?”
Maze helped him up, half-smiling. “With flying colours, boy. All you had to do was hit me once.”
“What?! Why didn’t you tell me?”
“I wanted to see your full potential,” putting his hand on Dominic’s shoulder, he nodded in respect. “You are very good for someone of your age, Dominic. It makes me- It makes me proud to see you here with my own eyes.”
“Wow, since when did the ‘Great Maze’ get so sappy?”
Maze laughed and slugged him in his arm. Dominic, not ready for the hit, fell over, making the old man laugh even more. “Come on, boy,” he finally managed to say, while the apprentice picked his longsword up. “We have to finish your last bit of training-”
“Yeah, there’s that Archery competition tomorrow, right? Which reminds me… You owe Visa a crossbow.”
“Whatever, Dominic. Remember, you need to be in the Chamber of Fate this Friday. Your graduation ceremony will be held there,” Maze beckoned him to walk back to the Guild with him.
“Oh, finally…”
“Yes, finally. After nine long years of hard training, you are finally ready for Albion. This Friday, you will be given your long-awaited title: Hero…”

The Chamber of Fate was located at the very heart of the Guild, under the courtyard. It was accessible only via an underground tunnel, which started from a back passage in the Guild’s Library. It was a large, circular chamber, with a high ceiling that was covered in many murals. A small ray of sunlight fell from a hole at the very top (this hole was actually right in the centre of the courtyard, in between the four statues of the deceased Heroes). On the walls, were the drawings and paintings of the many famous Heroes and their greatest deeds. Baldric Graden was shown fist fighting the largest horde of Hobbes the people of Albion had seen, as Agrias the Paladin struck an ancient demon’s heart with her jewelled mace. On the other side, the scene where a young Scarlet Robe fought off a dozen Balverines with only a wooden stake was painted onto canvas. Right next to that was an oil painting, marking three powerful Heroes, who protected Bowerstone from a vortex, down to their last breath. Quigley the Quick shot a golden arrow at a Banshee, John of Ash (the First) crushed a Scorpion King with his greathammer, and Ezelea the Intelligence blasted a million disturbed souls back to their resting places with a single wave of Will-magic. There were many more all around, and a few vacant frames hanging here and there. On normal days, the Chamber of Fate would be left silent and still, but that day wasn’t a normal day. The Annual Graduation Ceremony was taking place, and so the Chamber was filled with every guildsman. Apprentices crowded the edges of the Chamber, pushing for better views of their departing seniors. Just outside the Chamber, waiting in lines in the tunnel, were the seniors.
Alex had grown several more inches, by height and hair. No longer did she wear her hair in a ponytail. Instead, she let it flow down her back where it reached the back of her legs. Sporting an acolyte tiara that was very much similar to Elizabeth’s, she was quickly catching up on her superior in beauty. Since Quigley the Quick, she was easily the best Archer the Guild had seen, her skill only matched by Dominic’s might in melee.
Maze was still the best Will-User, but Donaven was also extremely adept in the arts of magic. His hair had grown to touch his shoulders, copper-red and dazzling. He had grown a small goatee that defined his face even more. His body had grown several inches more, adding to his already tall figure, besides being far more muscular than before. Over the past three years, he gained many admirers, stalkers, and fans, who would sometimes chase him all over the grounds. Back in training, he carried a pair of katanas, one red and the other black, for emergencies. He had trained with them for the past two and a half years, and had become very skilled at duel wielding.
Whisper, though not as tall as her friends, still had her spear, and also had weird balls of explosive powder attached to her belt. These balls (which she called ‘bombs’) were brought by Thunder, after he discovered the powder in a distant land he had visited a year ago. The country’s name sounded like Hwang Ho… or something like that.
Dominic and Donaven had become very close friends, ever since their midnight encounter three years ago, which at first baffled many. How could sworn enemies turn into best friends overnight? It didn’t matter, though. Since then, they would accompany each other everywhere (“Hey, I thought Dominic was after Alex?”) and had become sparring partners, which was how Donaven got so good with his two blades. Donaven was extremely quick in mastering both blade and Will. In fact, he was fast enough to cut his training syllabus down from eight years to three.
Donaven high-fived Dominic. “Well, this is it!”
“Yes, farmboy, we’re finally-”
Alex jumped in joy. “Heroes!” She hugged Dominic, as Donaven looked away.
From the front of the line, Chad gave them a thumbs-up. The other seniors were chatting among themselves, only to be shooed by the Guildmaster, who had just arrived. Everyone got back in line, watching the old man walk into the Chamber to the applause. He walked to the centre of the Chamber, accompanied by Maze, Elizabeth, Thunder and another Hero that had similar features to the man in the picture with the many Hobbes. The Guildmaster held his hand up, silencing everyone. “Now, we are gathered here today to mark a very special occasion. For the past few years, these apprentices have trained persistently to achieve their final lessons. And after many years of hard work, these apprentices have achieved their new titles. All of the Heroes Guild, we are proud to announce these apprentices’ graduation as Heroes. May you bring both honour and valour to all of Albion, with your brave heroics and kinds deeds.”
He nodded to signal the end of his speech, which was closely followed by an applause. “Step forward as I call your names.” He turned to Elizabeth, who handed him a long scroll. The Guildmaster adjusted his spectacles and read out loud. “Chadwick McMillan, a great warrior of Will and strength, proof that the slow can still be dangerous with a warhammer.”
Chad took a very deep breath, and almost ran to the centre. He stopped in front of Gradin, shook his hand and accepted a small seal customized with the Guild’s symbol. The Guild Seal, they called it. After a second of staring, there was an applause and he walked around to stand a few metres behind the Guildmaster. “Marilynn Scott…” a fuzzy-haired girl walked up. One by one, their names were called, and one by one, apprentices walked up to accept their Guild Seals. Each time a name was called, a volley of clapping followed, its strength differing from the famous to the not-so-famous.
“Alexandra Mylsova, easily the best Archer the Guild has seen since Quigley Hearth, is well renowned for her amazing skill with a bow and for her charming loyalty. May she keep her radiance jolly.” A huge applause.
“Whisper of Samarkand, sister of a great warrior, and with Excellency and Courage, shall also become one.” A great deal of clapping as Whisper shook hands with her brother (“Show the world what you got!”).
“Donaven Vangard of Indus, great in all forms of matter-bending, completed his training in the quick, breaking even Agrias the Paladin’s record time of five years. May he use his Will to protect two nations.” Instead of the usual applause, girls screamed and shouted his name out like the fan-girls they were. As he walked past them, a band of young female apprentices giggled. He flashed a pearly-white grin at them, making them giggle even more.
“Oh, please, is that all he can do?” Whisper asked, shaking her head in disbelief.
“It don’t matter if you’re black or white!”
“Wh- Alex, are you alright?”
She shrugged, smiling ****ily.
“Dominic the Sabre, famous for his awesome weapon-wielding, has successfully completed every training method this Guild has to offer. May he rid the world of all things dark and corrupted.”
Everyone, save Thunder, including the Guildmaster, Maze, Elizabeth, Graden and all the other graduated apprentices, applauded him. A couple of girls screamed out loud, while a group of older students shouted, “Sabre! Sabre!” Dominic casually walked to Maze, and as they shook hands, the mage whispered, “Good luck.”
“Thanks.”
As soon as Dominic joined the others, the Guildmaster raised his hand again, ushering everyone into silence again. Maze took a step forward, smiling. “All of these apprentices have mastered their branch of combat styles, with determination, skill and teamwork. Through trial and trouble have they struggled, to raise themselves and their abilities. They are the practical proof that there is no limit to cap the spirit’s capabilities,” he turned around to face the newly graduated. “I am proud to call you… the Heroes of Albion!” He bowed to them. Both the Guildmaster, Elizabeth and Graden followed his lead, leaving Thunder to stand, alone.
The apprentices bowed back, respectfully, as a cheer broke through the Chamber. The Guildmaster straightened up and held both his hands up. “May you begin your quest through Albion!”

Everyone was no longer wearing their apprentice uniforms, but instead had their new set of garments and clothing on. New armour were strapped on, as their old training weapons were replaced by those supplied by the Guild’s weaponry. Dominic had gotten himself a new longsword made out of freshly-mined shining metal, completed with lightning-resistant leather for the handle.
“Aren’t you gonna pick one, yet?” He asked Donaven, who hadn’t chosen his weapon. Only the two were still at the weaponry because of Donaven’s delay. For the past twenty minutes, he picked weapons up at random, scanned them for a while, and then replaced them. Every time he put one back, he would mutter something like, “No way,” or ,“Not my type.”
“None of these suit me.”
Dominic waited for him as he grabbed a jewelled pickhammer. “Isn’t that obvious? You’re a mage! You don’t need weapons!”
“Yeah, but- Will isn’t exactly full proof.”
“It isn’t fool-proof either…” Dominic added under his breath.
He threw the pickhammer back into its compartment, and lightly touched a warhammer, mumbling. “Hmm… I don’t think I’m that strong…”
Dominic sighed. This was going to take forever, unless he did something about it. “Hey, why can’t you just take the katanas you trained with?”
“They’re for training purposes only. You can’t take them out of the Guild. It’s a major rule. Don’t you know that, already?”
Dominic ignored him, looking around for something that might satisfy Donaven… There. On a top shelf, was a golden katana, its blade still shining from the forgeries. “Donaven, I know you like dual-wielding and all but… you won’t mind having only one blade this time, right?”
Donaven dropped a dagger into its chest. “Umm… right. Why?”
“Then how ‘bout having that?”
“How about having what?”
“That, you idiot, that katana!” He pointed at the shelf.
“Oh…” Donaven jumped over a crate of bows and tried to reach it. “Bugger, too high…”
“Okay… but would the Guildmaster mind the absence of one shelf?” Dominic said with a wink.
“Wh- Ah… I get you,” Donaven pointed a hand at the shelf and concentrated on it. He couldn’t make a bright flash or a loud noise for it might alarm any passing acolytes, so he had to try something new. With his mind, he loosened the links between the shelf’s molecules, separating them. With a soft crack, the shelf broke apart and vanished into dust, leaving the katana to fall. Donaven stretched his other hand out to catch it. “Got it!”
“Yes, and now that you have a weapon, can we go?” Dominic turned to follow the others to the map-room.
“Wait!”
Dominic sighed. “What now?!”
“I don’t think I like this one…”
Dominic swore in frustration, unsheathing his new longsword.
“Whoa! Chill! I was just kidding!” Donaven slid the katana into his belt. “There, see?”
Dominic sheathed his sword, glaring at the mage. “Idiot…”

Later, in the map-room, a handful of Heroes were still standing around, some of them waiting for a certain swordsman and mage. Many of the other new Heroes have left already and as the two walked into the map-room, a spiked-haired Hero (James Levianne) left. Whisper got to her feet, still caressing her new orange spear. She now wore a perfect orange battle uniform (which included an armoured top and pants set) and a matching headband around her head. “Ah… look who finally turned up… What took you so long, farmboy?”
Dominic point an accusing finger at Donaven’s chest. “He couldn’t pick his own stationary.”
Whisper smiled. “Should have guessed it… He might be quick in his studies and his girls, but Mr Dreamy was slow to do anything else-”
“Hey! I can…Uhh…I can…” he went off for a moment. “… Let me think…”
The Guildmaster entered. “Heroes, why are you still he- Isn’t that the Katana Hiryu?” He asked, spotting the golden katana in Donaven’s belt.
“It has a name?”
The Guildmaster walked closer, taking the blade from him. It had a golden blade, and a handle made out of an emerald-green substance. “Oh, sure it does. It’s a legendary weapon! Made out of folded metal of different densities, it is incredibly strong for a katana, not to mention deadly. A Hero left it here in the Guild thirty years ago, but it disappeared when he died of a Balverine attack. According to legend, it shall reveal itself only in the presence of an East Lander and can only be used to its fullest potential by an East Lander. You are from the East lands, right?”
“Yeah, Indus is in the East, but it doesn’t look like anything from there…”
Dominic stepped forwards. “Is there a way to test its genuinity?”
“Good thinking, Dominic. For all we know, it might be a fake. Chadwick, may we borrow your apple?”
“What apple?”
“The one in your pocket. The one you stole from the kitchens.”
Grumpily (“stupid squirrel…”), Chad took a perfectly cooked apple, red and shining, out and tossed it at the Guildmaster. The Guildmaster held the katana out. “Who wants to test it? Dominic, would you do the honours?”
“Gladly,” he took the blade. It felt light, but unusually cold to the touch.
“How does it feel?”
“Cold, strangely.”
“What?” Donaven scratched his head. “It’s not cold… It was warm when I had it…”
“Hmm… that’s a good sign. Now, try to cut this fruit in half,” the Guildmaster threw it into the air. Dominic swung the blade. It hit the apple on target, but couldn’t penetrate through its skin. Instead, the katana batted the apple away with its edge, making the apple hit Chad on the head.
“Oops. Sorry, Chad.”
Chad held his head, feeling a small bit dizzy. “I’m- I’m okay…”
“Alexandra, may you fetch the apple?” The Guildmaster asked Alex. She jumped slightly, happily, and passed the apple. It didn’t change one bit, showing that the blade had no effect on it. “Donaven, take the katana from your friend, and try it yourself.”
Donaven caught it and readied himself. “Okay.”
“Here’s the apple.”
Again, the apple was thrown into the air but, unlike Dominic’s try, did not go the other way when struck by the blade. Instead, it continued its way, as the blade sliced it into two smooth halves. The apple fell to the ground… in two. “Wow.”
“There you have it, the Katana Hiryu. Use it well, Donaven,” the Guildmaster continued his way to the Library, leaving the five Heroes alone. As soon as the Guildmaster was out of hearing distance, Chad groaned.
“When will I get things my way?”
Alex appeared behind him. “But Chad, it was wrong of you to steal!”
Whisper, ignoring Chad, turned to Dominic. “ So, what are you going to do now?”
“Don’t know. Training for nine years was really tiresome, so I think I’ll grab myself an easy first mission.”
“Yeah, we should all get our quests!” Alex frog leaped Chad, causing him to lose his balance and fall onto his nose. “Chad! Are you okay?”
“Great, just great…”
“Oh, thank goodness!” She winked, and Donaven nodded, unthinkingly. He stared off, apparently looking at something that wasn’t there, then shook his senses back into his head. He flinched, and recovered before anyone could notice, but unfortunately, Dominic did. Still, he kept it a secret, knowing that he might lose his greatest partner, if he did. So, he turned to survey the map-table instead.
Throughout the map-table, were quest cards among quest cards, sorted into compartments that each represented one town, station or point of interest in Albion. At that moment the number of cards available were below than average, mainly due to the sudden increase in Heroes. Only a handful remained, with not more than two cards to each place. Most of the compartments were empty, in fact. There were three different types of quest cards, and each were coloured with a different colour. The bronzed ones were for any Hero; no matter if they were greenhorns or legendaries as there isn’t any real urgency involved. The silver ones were for those of mild renown and skill. These were trusted to those who have the experience. The final, golden cards were strictly for the great and the powerful, for the stakes were high. Normally, these quests would include abnormally imposing creature attacks or highly important escort missions.
Scanning the table, Donaven’s eye was caught by a shiny glint. His hand darted across like a falcon and grabbed a card from the Hook Coast region, a place in the far north. He cleared his throat and read the card’s contents out loud. “Protect the main town of Hook Coast from a wild Snow Troll attack. Urgency: Gold.”
“Doesn’t sound easy…”said Dominic with an uneasy tint in his voice.
Whisper smacked her cheek with her palm. “Easy?! It’s a GOLD quest, for God’s sake! What are you thinking, Mr Dreamy?!”
“Hey! Its my wish-”
“You could get yourself hurt-or-or killed! Why don’t you leave the quest for someone else. Someone like… Thunder or-”
Donaven put his foot down and took Hiryu out by the hilt, letting the fire from the hanging torches nearby to glint along its blade. “I want this quest, and I shall bloody take it! You take your novice missions, I’m going to put myself to the real test. No more straw dummies for me!”
Whisper kept quiet, edging away with her hand on her spear’s handle. She swore at Donaven, and turned for the Guild’s front entrance.
Dominic rushed forwards. “Wait! Where are you going?”
“Bowerstone. I’ve been saving for the past few years, so I’m going to equip myself. At the very least, I’ll be ready for my quests, unlike someone…” she glared at Donaven, and exited, leaving Dominic to stare. He turned swiftly and glared at Donaven. Donaven glared back.
“Oh, you too?!”
Dominic opened his mouth to reply but did not know what to say, so he shut up. There was a very queer silence, in which Chad decided to get out of. He picked his two apple pieces, cleaned one and bit it. Seemingly satisfied, he walked out of the map-room and into the library. After he left, the silence continued, till it was broken momentarily afterwards by Alex. “Donaven? Can I… go with you?”
Donaven, surprised, flinched again. He stood up. “Uh…”he looked to Dominic with a mention-less question mark. Dominic saw the look in his eyes, and nodded, though with only half a heart. He did know of the possibility of this quest’s danger, but at the same time, he didn’t want two more of his friends fighting with each other.
The mage smiled. “Sure, Alex. You’ll be the best kind of help I can get!”
“Alright! Snow Troll, you’re going down! You’re no match to the two of us,” she almost jumped into the air, as she pompously cheered. Donaven’s grin grew.
“C’mon, let’s get that Troll before it gets away!” Alex held onto his arm, making him flinch even more. He smirked and took his Guild Seal out. Besides being the Heroes sign, the Seal serves as a hand-held Cullis Gate, if you knew how to concentrate. Donaven focused his thoughts onto it (but it was hard to do if the person you had a crush on was holding onto your arm) and thought of Hook Coast. From what he knew of it, it was a coastal town in the North, so it snowed there. Beach and snow. He concentrated on the picture made in his head, and activated the Seal. The two Heroes were blanketed in a layer of blue light, before they vanished together, leaving Dominic alone. He smiled for a second at the spot where they disappeared, and turned to the map-table.
“Hmm… where are you, bronzy…Hah!” He slid a card from a point that was relatively close to the Guild, and read it.

Location: On the border between Bowerstone and Greatwood, also known as the Picnic Area.
Time reported: Sunrise, Friday
Crisis: A wild swarm of Giant Wasps have infested this quiet area, and are constantly attacking visitors from Bowerstone. Multiple deaths were reported.
Procedure: Drive the whole swarm out, preferably dead, and bring the Wasp Queen’s head to Maze. You have one day from the time reported.
Urgency: Bronze
Reward: 770 gold. Complimentary drinks from The Cow & Corset, Bowerstone South.

Looking back at the map, he realised that this Picnic Area was only a half-mile away, but then, his eye was caught by a glint. He looked down his chest, his Guild Seal aglinting in a very tempting way… the heck with walking! He activated his Guild Seal and vanished as well.

Dominic appeared on a dirt path just before the Picnic Area. Behind him was a large statue of the Great Archon, an ancient king who, according to legend, ruled the Old Kingdom. But ahead of him, were the sounds of a disaster. Screaming and yelling tainted the silence of the trees that grew on both of the path’s sides, as lines of buzzing followed each other. He pulled his sword out and ran. The path widened into a clearing. There were picnic tables randomly placed all over for the picnickers, but at that instance, there were dead bodies and fleeing civilians instead.
“Help! Help! The wasps are attacking!” A man ran at him, pursued by three of the biggest wasps Dominic ever saw. They were twice the size of the beetles that lived in the Guild Woods, many years ago. Their buzzing wings were a forearm’s length, their stingers the size of wide knives. Dominic stepped forwards and sliced through the wasps. They fell, wings severed. The man thanked him and fled. One by one, Dominic helped the people run away, leaving only the wasps and the dead picnickers. Since there were no live humans, aside from himself, left, Dominic raised his hand and shot multiple, chained lightning across the entire clearing. The bolts flew, back and forth, from one wasp to another, before vaporizing the flying insects. After a while, he stopped and looked around, seeing no more in sight.
“That was ‘highly’ overrated…”
He sheathed his sword and headed back to the path between the trees. But he stopped, perking his ears to hear something distant. There was a new sound, much like the buzzing of the wasps, only noisier. Dominic pulled his longsword out, slowly and carefully. The noises got louder, as the thing got closer. Dominic could feel something huge, floating towards his back. He pulled the leather off the sword’s handle, baring all its steel. The thing behind him shrilled in a high tone. He turned at once, forcing lightning down his blade. There it was, a huge wasp, much, much bigger than the others. It was roughly three times his size, its wings caused a strong breeze with every flap, like a vicious chopper. Its armoured hide shined a sick mix of grey and yellow, while its eyes were no more than dim red orbs.
The Wasp Queen charged at him, its stinger pointed at his chest. Dominic dodged to the side and added more electricity to his blade. He swung it at the Queen, sending a strong bolt of lightning at it. As it struck, the Queen’s wings faltered, making it fall. Another bright bolt fried its wings. It squirmed, hitting the ground hardly. Dominic walked up to it, and casually sliced at its neck, beheading it. He caught his breath, and smiled.
“Now that’s just lame…”
He grabbed the Queen’s head by its antennae, and dragged it to the statue of the Archon. There, a few picnickers who had escaped, thanked him and even cheered, “Hurray! Sabre!”
“My pleasure.”

And readers, PLEASE comment!

Little_Sparrow

Hero of Skill
Reaction score

awesome dude!!! i cant wait to hear whats next!!!! you should have mentioned something about the sundial of jack. also i hopwe alex hasnt fallen for donovan. she belongs with domenique!

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score

Little_Sparrow;362403 said:
awesome dude!!! i cant wait to hear whats next!!!! you should have mentioned something about the sundial of jack. also i hopwe alex hasnt fallen for donovan. she belongs with domenique!

Haha! Thanks for the comments! I was starting to give the story the boot when no one was commenting on it...

I shall try to include the Jack's Harvest Sundial when I get the next chance, and the part about Alex and Donaven... I'll leave you guys in the unknown with that! I won't spoil the surprise just yet!

Daemon300

Premium
Reaction score

I like it very much. Please, write more :)

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score

YES! Back by popular demand! I've got an interesting twist to the story in this chapter... It's so big of a twist that it might risk spoiling the main plot.. Tell me what you think of it!

Note: This chapter was written near midnight by a very tired, sleep deprived guy, so try to go easy on the grammar/spelling mistakes. Thanks!

Chapter 5
A Heart’s Request

On the way back to the Guild, Dominic stumbled upon a fork in the path. He decided that if he wanted to be that famous Hero, he’d have to walk around more, so he walked instead of using the Seal again. But he had a problem: he had never been outside the Guild since his arrival here, and so had no idea where the Guild was. He tried to remember what he saw on the map, but there was just too much trying to occupy his mind. Besides, how could he memorise the thousands of paths on that map anyway? If only he had asked one of the survivors back at the Picnic Area…
Looking down one path and then the other, he tried to guess the way. The path on the left was much wider, and was lined with benches and statues, while the one on the right was no more than a thin dirt track, trailing off deeper into the forest. Hmm… The Guild can’t have such a downgraded entrance, and the left one had statues… He finally chose to take the grander one of the two. As he walked past more stone people and weathered benches, the trees thinned out. Finally, he emerged from the forest and into the open. “Oh no…”
There was a long bridge, painted red and trimmed gold, crossing a river that, Dominic presumed, originated from the Guild’s stream. Past this bridge, were huge gates, which were flanked by a tall wall on both sides. The gates were also red and gold, but instead of the Guild’s symbol, a pair of red flags hanged from the top of the gates, proudly presenting its Golden Harvest sign to the eyes of the approaching. Dominic hadn’t chosen the right path. This was not the Guild. This was Bowerstone.
“Damn…” he swore, but then thought that might as well have his first look around the town, now that he’s here. It wouldn’t hurt, would it? Whisper might still be shopping, so he could join her. He turned his head to look at the Wasp Queen’s severed head, dragged along with an antennae tied to the back of his belt. Its green blood still oozed from its neck, but not by much anymore. He was supposed to pass it to Maze, but he didn’t even know where he might be. Maze rarely stayed at the Guild, which was why they saw little of him. He would travel to many places in Albion, and sometimes, go off to distant lands. Where exactly, they didn’t know, but a fellow apprentice, James Levianne, had once snuck up Maze’s quarters in the Guild, and found many scribbled notes describing a northern world that according to Maze was called the Northern Wastes (James was caught the next day and had to clean the kitchens out by himself).
Still, he didn’t know where Maze was, but he had a hunch. He looked at the head again and realised how awkward it would look walking down Bowerstone with something like that attached to him. He untied the antennae and stuffed the head into his bag. It bulged out and made the bag smell but it was good enough. He continued towards the gates. There were two guards, wearing the standard red and blue guard uniform over their dull armour. Their longswords were strapped to their backs, and both had their sub-standard crossbows out. “Hold it right there, stranger!” One of them told Dominic to stop, as he neared them.
Dominic slowed down and stopped just as soon as he crossed the bridge.
“May we see your identification?”
“What?”
The other walked up to him. “Your identification. To show if you’re some foreign villager, unheard mayor, new guard, or whatever else you might be.”
“Oh…” he pulled his Guild Seal out of his pocket and held it out for the guards to see.
“Let me see that,” the guard on the right took it from him and scanned it. “Hmm… doesn’t look fake. Here you go.”
The other guard shook hands with Dominic. “So, you’re a Guild Hero. You must be fresh, cause I’ve seen no one like you.”
“You don’t think he looks like Agrias?”
“What are you? Stupid?! Agrias was a lady!”
“Uhh… yeah, I just graduated last night.”
“Ah… explains everything. And don’t mind Ficklestick here… haven’t got a brain to save his life.”
“I heard that!”
“Anyway, since you’re new and all, you must also be new to Bowerstone, am I not right?” The guard winked.
Dominic nodded his head, pocketing his Guild Seal. The guard on the right pointed at his blade. “Bowerstone is a peaceful town, and it shall stay that way, so we need to confiscate your weapons until you leave…(and my name’s Frank, not Fickle-whatever!)”
Dominic hesitated, but unsheathed his longsword and gave it over. “Not a single scratch on it, or there’ll be a quest card for your heads.”
“Don’t worry, you’ll get it back in one piece.” The guards smirked and signalled for the gates to be opened.
Bowerstone South was a large and busy town, with shops and houses lining the road. People talked and chatted the day away. To Dominic’s right, a massive group of people crowded around a shop’s entrance, waving bags of gold coins (Diamonds and Emeralds on the cheap!). He continued his way, crossing a couple of men carrying crates of the apples and other fruits, and one of them carried a tankard of the new ‘apple-scrumpy’, a very sweet drink made entirely out of apples. Suddenly, he felt thirsty. He wet his lips and looked for the tavern. Walking on, he noticed grand steps, leading to another pair of gates. Bowerstone North, he guessed. Standing on the first step, a weirdly dressed man was singing, trying to impress a woman who stood on the highest step. The bard was failing miserably, as his song was horribly made. The woman yawned. She wore a long purple gown, nothing unlike what was usually seen in a ballroom. Her blonde hair fell down to her shoulders, curly at the ends. She was beautiful, and she looked vain, but she was still beautiful.
Another man stepped up to stand next to Dominic and noticed him staring at something. Seeing the target of Dominic’s eyes, the man smiled and said, “Yeah, I would like s drink with tha’ one meself.”
Dominic shook out of his daze. “Who is that?”
“Tha’ll be the mayor of this here town. Lady Grey, her name,” said the man. “Funny though, she isn’t married yet. You’d think, with all tha’ authority and money, she would have found a bedder.”
Lady Grey yawned again and waved at a nearby guard to take the bard away. She looked around and saw two men looking at her. One was just a simple peasant; he liked to stare once in a while. But the other one, he was a new face. She found him…dare she think it…attractive. Smiling, she winked at him and strutted back through the gates of Bowerstone North.
“Oh, boy. Looks like she’s interested,” the man attempted to slick his hair back.
Dominic looked at him with pity. Saying nothing, he continued to look for the tavern. After passing the stairs, he found a small group of sheds poking from behind the shops. He did hear that Bowerstone South was regarded as the ‘slums’ of Bowerstone. He ignored them and kept looking for the tavern. The Cow & Corset Inn wasn’t that far from where he was, its sign was a hanging bull’s head over a pint of beer. Waiting outside, to Dominic’s surprise, was Maze. Maze smiled as Dominic approached. “Took you long enough, I had a tab started for you inside,” he said, jokingly.
Dominic laughed, but at that moment the bag could not hold on much further and ripped apart. The head fell onto the road. Maze pointed at it. “I see you’ve dealt with the Wasp Queen.” Dominic kicked it aside, but this very action attracted many people’s attention. They stopped and stared at him.
“Hey! Isn’t that the Wasp Killer?!”
There was a brief moment of gossiping, followed by clapping. “You’ve gotten popular.”
Dominic took a step backwards, waving at the applauding crowd. “I guess so.”
Maze chuckled and beckoned him inside. “You shouldn’t let that kind of thing go to your head. There are darker forces gathering that will put your insect to shame. All around Albion, shadows are stirring… Tell me something, Dominic.”
“Okay?”
“Do you remember the night I brought you to the Guild?”
Dominic said nothing.
“That night, when Oakvale was burnt to the ground, I had thought that the bandits had killed your whole family. But it seems that there may have been another survivor. Do you remember that trail of blood?”
Dominic still said nothing, but nodded his head, trying to think. Yes, there was a trail of blood leading to the beach…
“Well, that trail came from your old home, of all the houses there. So I’m thinking that … your sister might be alive.”
Dominic’s eyes widened. Out of spite, he grabbed Maze by the collar of his cloak. “What?! Where?!”
Maze pulled his hands off him. “Don’t overreact, it’s just a thought! A surviving bandit I interrogated that day said that they had left a girl behind at the house to die, but that was all I could get from him. If your sister is indeed alive, Dominic, we have to find her.”
They had a drink together, one that helped calm their nerves down. Dominic took a deep breath, and exhaled. Maze put his pint down and pulled a bag of gold out. “Here, your reward for the Wasps,” he stretched his hand. “By the way, where are your friends?”
“Whisper’s somewhere around the town, shopping. Chad’s still wandering the Guild… and Alex and Donaven are in Hook Coast.”
“Hook Coast? You mean the Snow Troll quest, do you?”
“Yeah…”
Suddenly, Maze got up and grabbed Dominic by the shoulders. Dominic looked into his eyes and saw the urgency in them. “Are you serious?!”
Dominic nodded, and Maze let go, stepping backwards and almost tripping himself. “I’ll see you later, Dominic,” and he vanished into a blur haze. Confused, he downed his drink in one and picked his reward up. He walked to the bar. A man who had a potbelly and a thick moustache was pouring drinks into mugs there. “How may I help you, Hero?”
“A bed for the night,” he extracted a few coins from the bag and threw them onto the counter. Then he walked upstairs.

There he stood, in a forest at dawn, with the sun rising in front of him. A dark figure appeared, blocking the sun out. Gripping his sword’s handle lightly, he watched in silence. The figure got closer, growing into a tall, slender and graceful shape. Alex.
“Alex? What are you doing here?”
She stopped, five feet away from him, with a sad look on her face. This sight tore Dominic’s heart apart, and it seemed to him that the world would never be proper again.
“Dominic, promise me something.”
“What is it?”
“Please look for me.”
“Wh-What are you talking about?”
“Please, please promise me you will come for me.”
“Uh… Of course. Sure. I’ll come, no matter what.”
She smiled and turned away.
“Wait! Where are you going?”
She looked at him, her voice growing ever more distant with very second.
“I’m going. But don’t forget, you promised. Now wake up, Dominic, wake up.”
“Alex! I don’t understand!”
“Wake up…”

“Wake up, Dominic, wake up!”
Dominic slammed his eyes open and looked up at Maze’s face. Lines of worrisome were etched onto his face. “Its about time! Quickly, you must come with me!”
Dominic sat up. “What’s wro-”
He saw something that almost made his heart stop. On the bed next to his…was Donaven… or what’s left of him. His whole body was burned, bloodied and bruised. Blood drenched his clothes and obscured his face, which had a gaping hole on its left side. A hand was lying next to his head, detached from its arm. Dominic looked away, and jumped to his feet. Putting his armour on hastily, he asked. “Where’s Alex?”
Maze avoided his gaze and sent a wave of Will to stop the flow of blood from Donaven’s face.
“Where is she?!”
Maze turned back to him, his face sunken and expressionless. “Witnesses said the Troll picked her up and-and… Oh, damn it! She was hurled out into sea- no, wait, Dominic, WAIT!” But he had left already, teleported already.
“No, Dominic! You’ll end up like the others- Damn!”

Dominic stumbled forwards and ran out of the Cullis Gate’s light. He ran through an archway, feeling the light snowflakes fall onto his skin, as it fell to the ground like millions of tiny feathers. At first, this surprised him, as it was only late spring, but then he realised that Hook Coast was so far up north that it didn’t really matter. Ignoring the beauty of nature for this one time, he rushed himself straight into the quiet town. On his left, were a beach and a frozen body of water. Everywhere, there were half-crushed buildings and stalls that lay in pieces acres away from their original stands. One building was lit with peculiarly red flames. Right outside this building, gleamed something. Dominic stopped to look at it. Gold blade, green handle, a katana stuck out of a pile of snow.
“Donaven…” He pulled Hiryu out of the snow and slid it in between his belt. This building was burning, not because of the same thing that had gone through the rest, but because Donaven had his hands covered with Will fire when he got into this building. Thrown into it, maybe.
A loud roar penetrated his ears, like a knife that drove itself into his auditory canal. He turned around to dash towards its source. He cut a corner and paused in shock. It had reached the Hook Coast tavern and was breaking its roof apart. Three times the size of an elephant, it could have carried three of them. Made completely out of ice and dirt, its eyes were just two tiny purple grapefruits. It roared with its gaping hole of a mouth, irregularly sized teeth that were made out of white ice poked out at odd angles.
It pulled the roof free and chucked it into the ocean. Screaming sounded. The Troll reached into the building and tried to pull its next victim out. Dominic drew his longsword and ran at it. “Stupid TROLL!!!” He jumped onto its back and stabbed it. Though it didn’t do much damage, it did, however, catch the Troll’s attention. It hulked around and grabbed Dominic’s leg, then threw him aside, as if he were no more than a worm. He landed in a deep pile of snow, and jumped to his feet, thankful of his soft landing. He steadied himself and attacked again. Left, right, and left again. He slashed at the Troll’s frozen hide, but, miserably, it was useless against the thick ice. The Troll, annoyed by yet another pest, pounded its fists on the ground, sending a powerful shockwave through the snow-covered ground. Everything nearby fell, including the tavern’s occupants. Dominic was thrown off his feet, and this time, he wasn’t as lucky. Landing on a frozen fountain, he felt himself fall, paralysed from the neck downwards. Slowly, his eyesight, too, was dying out. Darkness crowded around the edges of his eyes, and grew, engulfing his vision entirely.
I’m sorry, Alex. I’m so…sorry…
No, you promised. Dominic, you promised!
Then, the black of his vision turned red. His eyesight grew a bloody red. Everywhere he saw, he saw flames…red… and burning…
Burning…

Anne Saurine was an ordinary Bowerstone resident. She worked as the town’s barber, and sported a very sporting hairstyle herself. Her violet hair was cut short and spiky, shimmering with glitter and sequins. Day by day, locals and foreigners would come by her saloon, requesting for the latest, the trendiest, and the weirdest. Sometimes, she would be called up to Bowerstone North to trim the Mayor’s already eye-catching hair. It was a steady and slow job, if not a fun one, but after a while of constant work, she would get tired and bored of it all, and will join several merchants on their travels. She’s been through both Greatwood and Darkwood, and only yesterday did she plan a one-month trek around Witchwood.
Not longer than a week ago, her brother suggested that she visit him in Hook Coast. It had been ages since their last meeting and so Anne took the first chance she could take. Shortly after noon broke, she locked her saloon up and carried her bags to the
Bowerstone Cullis Gate. Stepping through it, she thought of her brother and Hook Coast appeared before her eyes soon after. But it wasn’t the Hook Coast she grew to know. The body of a guard was strewn across her path. Many buildings were brought down to ruins as a monstrous Snow Troll wrecked through.
“No…”
There was a bright flash of blue behind her.
“Excuse us, Miss,” A young mage pushed past her. “C’mon, Alex!”
Another Hero, an archer, ran past. “Sorry, Miss Barber, we’re on a quest!”
Anne watched the two run, then decided to run herself. While the two Heroes took care of the Snow Troll, she darted around the street and saw her brother, waving at her from the tavern’s entrance.
“Get in here!”
Somehow, she managed to reach him with her bags before the monstrosity could register her presence. From the tavern, they witnessed the two Heroes fighting the Troll off. The fight wasn’t pretty anyhow. The mage was thrown into the weapons’ store that contained barrels of explosive powder, setting it on fire. But the archer got the worst of it. She shot an arrow into its left eye, enraging it even more. Before she could get away, the Troll picked her up. Out of instinct, she aimed at its mouth, but before she could, she was hurled out into the water, and into the ocean’s thick mist, out of sight. Her screams were all they could make out, but after a moment the screaming, too, stopped. The Troll turned to continue its way towards the tavern, before another Hero appeared behind it. The Hero, an old mage, shot a massive lightning ball at it, scaring it off. It retreated a few steps back, as the old mage rushed into the burning building and rescued the younger one. He shot into the tavern and asked where the archer was. Anne’s brother told him what happened. The Hero jerked a bit, and vanished. Why must he go now?
The Troll recovered and reached the tavern. They cowered to the back and tried to get as far away from the entrance as possible. The monster reached a huge hand in by the entrance and managed to grab the Hook Coast Chief Guard. Anne saw him pulled out and could not see more of him. The screams and the crunches were enough to tell the story though. The ice-covered hand appeared again. Everyone flattened themselves to the back wall, to get out of the Troll’s reach. There was a roar of frustration and the hand retreated.
A moment of silence… Anne looked up at her brother’s face and hugged him, tightly. But then, the roof shook violently. Small pieces of debris and dust fell onto their heads. The two fell apart. More debris fell. The tavern keeper shouted out.
“No!”
A piece of the roof was pulled off, revealing a beady Troll eye that stared at them.
“Don’t you know how expensive that roof i-”
The Troll replied with a massive roar. More of the roof broke off and with a final thug, it was ripped off completely. Anne screamed. The Troll eyed her and reached in…
“Stupid TROLL!!!”
The Troll fell back from the tavern, roaring in annoyance. Noises of intense battle sounded from outside. There was another loud roar, and everyone was forced to the ground. Anne looked up and rolled out of a falling tankard’s path. She got to her knees and exhaled in relief, she looked to see everyone getting to their feet. Something hot touched her boot, alarming her. She got up and quickly realised the poker that burned a mark on her boot. The poker had fallen out of the nearby fireplace… Fire…
She grabbed a pair of gloves from the overturned counter and put them on. She hastily picked the red-hot poker up and rushed outside. The Troll was bending over a new figure. He had a muscular posture and black hair. A Hero, no doubt, judging by the longsword that laid in two pieces in the Dragon Fountain. His armour had broke off when he fell to the ground, lying in many pieces under the Troll. Why was the Hero not up? He was unconscious, it seemed. The Troll raised a mighty fist. Anne yelled at it and threw the poker at it. It sank into the monster’s back, making it roar in pain. Being small-brained, it forgot the unconscious Hero and faced Anne. She backed away in a fear that wasn’t there a moment ago. She screamed, shrilly.
Out of the sudden, the Hero woke up, covered in…flames. He jumped to his feet and cracked his flaming knuckles. He yelled a cry, loud enough- and harsh enough- to catch the Troll’s attention. Anne got away and ran into her brother’s arms.
His eyes burned with a hellish anger, his fists flaring away. The fire confused the Troll, as it never saw any human in any suit like that. What is that? Some funny light? It grabbed at Dominic, intrigued. Dominic ran at the monster, and jumped, slamming both feet into the Troll’s eyes. Startled, it fell backwards, and landed on its back, creating another smaller shockwave. Dominic flipped onto its chest and smashed it with his fists, breaking through the ice. The Troll slapped him into the side of the tavern. He crashed through the wood and stone, landing on a toppled table. He somersaulted to his knees and threw a fireball through the hole in the wall.
The Troll took a while to get up, and when it did, it got a face full of fire. It stumbled backwards, its head badly shaped now. Suddenly, it found Dominic jumping onto its shoulders. It tried to grab him but was too slow. He leaped upwards, as the Troll punched itself in the face. Dominic landed on its head and hopped off. Despite its legendary rule, he drew the Hiryu and, by heating it to an immense temperature, dug its blade into the Troll’s chest. It shrieked.
Dominic added the heat to the Hiryu. It overheated the Troll and when it felt it could take no more, it tried to lunge at Dominic. The Hero braced himself, but only felt a hot spray of water. The arm fell off into a growing puddle. Again, it shrieked, but it was too weak and hollow to make it a long one.
The patrons of the tavern ran out at the sounds of the dying Troll. Anne’s brother shouted, "What a Hero!” They rushed to the Hero, who stood next to a large puddle of boiling water, and a golden katana shimmering in it. The Hero was no longer covered in flames, and his eyes were a bright blue again. Swaying in one spot, he held a pitiful hand out at the crowd, and collapsed onto the hard ice…
Alex…

Again, as a reminder, COMMMENT!!!

Little_Sparrow

Hero of Skill
Reaction score

hey dude awesome again. Read my post ( its called the aftermath of archons rule and the return of jack) use it for inspiration or something. I would like to see more tension in the heroes love life. Like eventually when the hero beats the arena and is getting a bit more serious with alex the lady grey tries to seduce him. I would also like to see silver keys, and finding of legendary weapons. But keep up the good work

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score

Hey everyone! I have Chapter Six out for you all!

Little_Sparrow: Hey, man, your own story's cool!

Someone said something about Dominic's love life? You want a little spice in it? Haha! I'll see what I can do... And you want the mysterious keys and treasure chests, I hear... Well, keep your eyes peeled for them, their out there somewhere, and Albion is a huge world!

Enjoy, guys!

Chapter 6, part 1

Roses and Woods

“Argh!”
He ran through the shadowed forest, and never stopped running.
“No!”
There, a silhouette was, outlined by the far Sun’s rays. He kept running, unsheathing his longsword to cut a branch out of his way, but then, the blade cracked from its hilt, breaking away. He was hit on the head by the low branch, which broke away from the impact. He stumbled but, still, kept on running. A protruding root was just ahead, so he threw the sword’s handle behind him and pulled his Will together to form a fireball. A bright ball of orange appeared on his palm, but dimmed and faded. He fell, tripped by the huge root, and lost all sense of time and space. He tried to get up, but was pulled back down to earth by a sudden increase of Gravity’s strength. He staggered to reach out with his hand, to get as close as possible to the silhouette against the distant light.
“Alex!”
“Livingstone, restrain him! Help her, Vangard!”
The gravity grew ever more mighty, drawing him into the dirt. Tendrils and vines snaked from the trees and wrapped themselves around him, trapping him. He screamed once more, and felt something go down his throat: Ice-cold, and corroding. It tasted like extremely chilled, liquid metal, and it felt very painful. It burned his tonsils and his ears, as it slipped down his oesophagus. Everything blanked out around him.
“No!”

Dominic woke up, staring at the small vase of daisies on his bedside table. They smelled nice, he thought. At least it was better than what he felt. Though the bandages had been removed the week before, the magical restraints weren’t, and he still ached from all the struggling. Elizabeth had cast them, and did a very good job on them, too. He shook his whole body from left to right and back, but still the restraints wouldn’t give. He sighed, and gave up. This was never going to work. Elizabeth was a Will-User too well. He stared back at the flowers. At that moment, the Infirmary door opened and in walked a very familiar Will-User, not looking her best. Her eyes seemed sunken in the dim light, but nonetheless were still whole and beautiful. There were dark rings around her eyes, highlighting her lack of sleep in the past few days. The skin on her hands, dead grey from the prolonged use of the magical restraints. All in all, she looked tired.
Seeing Dominic conscious, she startled herself, her hands glowing a dim pink. “Dominic! You’re awake!”
“Well…obviously…”
With a wave of her hands, she lifted the restraints. Instantly, Dominic felt the binds fade, and sighed in relief. At the same time, some of her hands’ colour returned. She ran to his side, but cautiously edged around his bed. “Are you alright?”
She stepped back, expecting him to lunge out, but he merely smiled, smugly. “Never felt better.”
Elizabeth glared at him. “This isn’t laughable! You almost got yourself killed! What were you thinki-”
“It was my fault.”
The two turned to face the door. Staring just beyond the doorway, was Donaven. But this wasn’t the Donaven they used to look at. Surprised, Dominic sat bolt upright. Donaven looked worse, compared to Elizabeth. His skin was paler than usual, and his fingers twitched a lot. There was a scar, a long scar, across his face, starting from his forehead, cutting through his left eye and cheek, and ending just above his lip. But his eye- his left eye… it was now held together only by Will, glowing a fluorescent red. His left hand was remade, too, with Will.
He walked in, slowly, for he was afraid of Dominic’s glare. “It was all my fault. I took the quest, and I let Alex come with me.”
Dominic pushed himself off his bed and felt his wrists. Down his own arm, was a mark left by the Troll.
“You should be ashamed!” Elizabeth took a step forward, and stood up to Donaven, a small glowing orb rested on her thumb.
“I am, okay? Now, shut up!”
Elizabeth cowered away and kept silent. Two small tears emerged from the corners of her eyes.
Donaven turned to face Dominic. “I should have listened to you, Dominic. I should have listened to Whisper. But I- I wanted to impress Alex…I didn’t think- I didn’t think about the consequences. Alex didn’t have to pay for it. I should…”
His left eye twitched. It was quite unnerving to see that red orb rotating in Donaven’s eye socket, and it wasn’t nice to stare at. Dominic looked, instead, at his chest. “You had no way of knowing that Troll’s strength. It wasn’t entirely your fault.”
“Yeah, right… nonetheless it was my fault. Mine…”
“It was only one mistake-”
“It was a very big and obvious mistake! I-I can’t take it anymore!”
Dominic raised his hand. “Everyone makes mist-”
“I’m leaving,” Donaven cut in. This displaced Dominic very much, making him feel confused.
“Wh- I don’t get you.”
Donaven sighed, reluctant to look into anyone’s face. He stared at his own feet and took a breath, a deep one. Then he forced himself to stare at Dominic’s face. “I’m leaving Albion. I have no right to be called a Hero, or to be among Albion’s people. I’m going back to Indus.”
Dominic glared at him, and walked closer. Forcing himself to look into his friend’s weird eyes, he drew his fist back and punched Donaven in the abdomen. He doubled over in pain and, with a sickening ‘plop’, the artificial eyeball fell out of its socket.
“Donaven!”
Dominic was indifferent. “What’s wrong with you?! You’re not the Vangard I knew! The Donaven I knew would quit moaning and get out there for Alex!”
Donaven looked up, with one socket still empty, and his real eye staring into Dominic’s blue eyes. To Dominic’s disgust, the red one on the floor swirled around to stare at him , too, with its intimidating pupil. Elizabeth rushed forwards, and picked the eyeball up. She used her Will to clean it of any dirt, held Donaven’s chin and gently placed the eyeball back in its socket. It rotated and stuck itself in place. She stared into his pupils and he nodded. She retreated to stand beside a bed. Donaven turned back at Dominic. “You’re right… I won’t leave… I’ll go out there- and find her.”
After a moment of silence, to his surprise, Dominic held his hand out. He hesitated but shook it anyway. “That’s more like it, Vangard. I’ll go with you.”
“Yes, but the question now is, go where?”
Dominic turned back to his bedside table and picked his broken sword’s handle. “What do you mean ‘where’? Wasn’t Alex last seen in Hook Coast?”
“Yeah, but-but-” Donaven shook his head. His eye twitched out of control , so badly was it twitching that Donaven had to lid it and cover it with his hand. With that, he rushed out of the door, with his head low.
“Wait! Where are you going?! Damn, bastard,” Dominic threw the handle into the vase of flowers. “What’s wrong with him?”
“Ermm… Dominic?” Elizabeth edged towards him, afraid again. “They closed the Hook Coast Cullis Gate-”
“WHAT?!”
“They- they couldn’t risk anymore attacks in such a bad state, so they closed it till repairs on the town were completed.”
Dominic, in rage, picked the vase up and threw it against the wall. Elizabeth retreated a few steps back, screaming. “Dominic! Please… listen… Snow Trolls only appear in the Northern Wastes, but the Guildmaster received a report a day after the attack that a Hero had lost his Guild Seal there. The Troll must have used the Seal and found its way to Hook Coast. The town is now vulnerable from the attack. They had to close the gate!”
“Damn!” He kicked the bedside table, which shattered into many wooden sticks and splinters. “How are we going to get to Alex now?!”
Elizabeth hid her face. “I-I don’t know…” and off she ran, with her face in her hands, sobbing. That left Dominic with only his anger. He looked at the broken sword, then at the ceramic pieces, and finally at the wooden dust strewn across the floor. He took a long breath in, and kicked a bed’s leg off. It collapsed onto his foot, and immediately renewed his aches.
“DAMN!”

Later that day, Dominic had his new set of armour on, one that he got from a fellow Hero, Ian Wraith, whose father owns the Bowerstone Armoury. Strapping on his mint-new gauntlets, he walked down to the Guild’s weaponry, and after many apologies said, he borrowed a second longsword, but with a condition that he’d bring it back in one piece. He sighed in agreement and stepped out of the Guild through its magnificent doors. Outside, were many Bowerstone villagers and travelling merchants, who awaited a Hero to greet them. Fans, the most of them. As soon as Dominic walked into the Sun, they began clapping and cheering.
“There’s the Troll Slayer!”
“Woo-Hoo, Sabre!”
“Sabre, I love you!”
Dominic ignored the lot and kept walking, still trying to keep his sorrow out, but the memory was still like a fresh wound, never to be dried, never to be closed. It was just too-too much…
“-just look at you, you stupid beggar! You really think that Hero nonsense’s gonna get you any pity?” Someone said, just around the bend in the path, near the fork that divided the path between the Guild, Bowerstone and the Picnic Area. It was familiar, and it was all too familiar… Dominic rushed around the bend and went wide-eye. There were two people standing at the end of the path, just out of the forest. As Dominic got closer, he saw an arrogant looking man, who had a blue stocking cap on his head, and a thin moustache. He was standing with another man who wore torn, tattered clothes, and a very dirty pair of cracked spectacles. His hair was bushy, and on his back, along cylinder-like package covered in black cloth was strapped.
“Don’t you have a heart to feed the needy?”
The arrogant-looking man laughed. “Do you think I would?! Hah!”
“Stanley?”
The man turned to see Dominic nearing him. “Yeah, my name’s Stanley, what’s it to you?”
Dominic got closer and smiled. He tightened a fist and landed a punch across his jaw. Stanley stumbled back, and shook his head. Holding his jaw, he glared back at Dominic. “Damn! What’s wrong with-” He stopped, staring, suddenly realising who had punched him.
“Dominic?”
“In the flesh,” he replied, nodding.
Stanley brightened up, but still massaged his jaw. “Dominic! What are you doing here? I thought you disappeared with the rest of the town that night!” They shook hands. “Where have you been?”
“I was brought to the Heroes Guild after the attack. Been living there ever since. How did you get away?”
“After our ‘meeting’ that day, my dad took me to watch Zachary the Friendly in the Witchwood Arena. We got there by Cullis Gate, but when we tried to come back, it wouldn’t take us back to Oakvale. We got the news, next morning,” he shrugged and adjusted his cap.
“Hmm, explains… You haven’t changed much, I see,” Dominic eyed the beggar. “Still picking on the weak?”
“Huh? Oh, this guy had the nerve to ask me for gold. Said he was some Hero. I mean, just look at him! He’s disgusting.”
The beggar glared at Stanley with one eye. He faced Dominic and beckoned to him. “You, young one, you’re a Hero, right? Used to be one myself, I did.”
“Used to be one myself!” Stanley mimicked him.
“Rrr… I’ve had enough!” The beggar reached for the long package on his back. Dominic suddenly realised what was in the package…
“No, don’t! He’s just a dumb ass.”
“Wait! Call me a dumb ass now, huh?!” Stanley punched Dominic on the shoulder.
Dominic punched him back. “Damn you! Will you just calm down?” Stanley glared and punched him again. The beggar punched Stanley, but, by accident, was punched by Dominic. “Oh, sorry…”
The beggar punched Dominic, growling now. Stanley shouted and punched the beggar.
“Damn it, Stan, stop it!” Dominic punched Stanley. Stanley punched Dominic again, and was punched by the beggar. Dominic punched the beggar, by accident again. “Oops…” He was punched back. Stanley punched the beggar, and was punched by Dominic. The beggar accidentally punched Dominic. “Oh dear, me…” He was punched back by Dominic. The beggar, angered now, punched Stanley. Stanley drew both his fists and punched them both. Dominic and the beggar exchanged glances, then both punched Stanley at the same time. Stanley fell backwards and rolled onto his back. Dazed, he got to his feet and held his head. “Whoa, that was some punch there… I’m out…”
He ran off, dizzily, into a tree trunk, and continued his way to Bowerstone, but lost his balance on the bridge and fell, headfirst, into the river. As he floated away, he shouted. “Help!”
“Aren’t you gonna help him?” the beggar asked. “You are a Hero…” They looked at each other, and shared a laugh.
“Nah, I’ll leave him to swim back home…”
The beggar laughed again. “That was the most fun I’ve had in a long time,” they shook hands. “My name’s… Lurima! My name’s Lurima. What’s yours, Hero?”
“Dominic the Sabre.”
“Ah- Oh Ho! You’re the one that saved Hook Coast, right? Oh, you’re a Hero, alright.”
“Weren’t you one?” Dominic pointed at the package on Lurima’s back. “I mean, what happened?”
“Well… I can’t say. If I told you, the old bastard will have my head. All I can say is that I’m on the run, and I’ve lost everything I had. All but Miss Daichi,” he pointed at the long package on his back. “I’ll never let go of my babe!”
“Everything?”
“Everything, but Daichi. Didn’t you hear me?” Lurima laughed again. “Ahh… I should be off, now. Still running, am I not?”
“Hold on,” Dominic reached under his leggings, and into his pocket. He pulled a small bag of gold out and handed it over. “Something for the trip.”
“What?!” Lurima’s eyes widened. He stared at the sack on his palm, then turned back at Dominic’s face. “You really don’t have to-”
“Its fine with me. At least I made a new friend today.”
“You know, I would kneel before you and kiss your feet if I didn’t have my own Hero title to take care of, but I shall bid you thanks. We shall meet again, Dominic.” He gave a salute and went down the path, deeper into the forest.

Sitting in the Bowerstone Tavern, Dominic downed another mug of sweet, sweet beer. Still, his head felt heavy and burdened. He ordered another mug, drank it down, and asked for yet another.
“I would like some ‘apple-scrumpy’,” a dark skinned woman sat on the sit next to Dominic’s, as her two friends joined her. Dominic looked up. Whisper was wearing a brand new set of red and blue armour that fitted over her underclothing. Her friends, Amber and Visa, were also wearing identical armour, only theirs were green and orange respectively. Amber always had her hair in a ponytail, even in training, and wore a thin wristband made of orange strings, around her wrists. Amber was, not unlike Whisper, from Samarkand, but Visa was from Indus. As a matter of fact, she was Donaven’s cousin. Like her tall cousin, she too was a six-footer, easily as tall as Dominic was.
“Whisper, Amber and Visa… Done your shopping?”
Whisper smiled. “Dominic, its good to see you on your feet again.”
“Aren’t you suppose to be resting?” asked Amber
Visa added. “Yeah, that Troll did hit you hard.”
“Maybe… or maybe it wasn’t that hard… what are you girls still here for? You should have finished your shopping spree weeks ago.”
The three exchanged glances. “Preparing-”
“-for a-”
“-mission!” The three girls laughed. “Yeah, we’re excited.”
“There’s something going on in Orchard Farm. Some bandit attack or that sort,” Whisper took a sip of her drink.
Visa continued for her. “There’s something of high value there, and we’re asked to help prevent the bandits from stealing it.”
Whisper beckoned. “Wanna join?”
“Mmm… I think I will-” he was interrupted by a loud cheer from outside the tavern. He turned around in his sit, and perked his ears.
“The Tainted Rose has arrived!”
A young, red-haired girl ran into the tavern and stood by the door, followed by a boy who was no older than her. Everyone turned to face the doorway, and in walked a woman, accompanied by mad cheering and applause. She wore a tight crimson body suit, and had black, light armour plates over her chest, shoulder blades, and shins. She sported smart, round spectacles and a red headband. Her thin gloves had small scabbards that carried daggers. These were cleverly disguised to avoid the town guards’ detection. The crowd parted to allow her to strut to the counter.
“A quick beer, if you would. I need to get out of the crowd.”
“Sure thing, Heroine.”
While she waited, Rose scanned the room to survey the people who stared. Lame, lame, dirty, lame, stupid, lame, loud, ugly…She sighed. Again, she had found herself in a building full with idiots- wait, who are they? The four, outstanding people down the bar caught her eyes. Three, armoured women, and a muscular man. They weren’t gawking at her, and they sure aren’t simple folk. They must be newly graduated Heroes. She pulled her arrogant face on.
“What’s wrong, young ones? Not getting enough fans?”
Dominic looked up from his drink and noticed the Heroine staring at him. He said nothing, and turned to his drink.
“Hey, I just can’t get a moment’s peace around here, can I?” She continued, not perturbed by his ignorance. “Just listen to all these idiots.”
He raised himself slightly-
“And now I have you distracted,” she laughed, to herself.
He was starting to get annoyed. “Don’t flatter yourself.”
Whisper backed him up. “Yeah, we don’t even know who you are.”
“I do,” everyone stared at Visa. “What? I know a lot of things, that’s all-” she got a glare from Whisper. “-Err…but from what I know, she’s not done much…”
At this, Rose got irritated. “Who do you youngster think you are, huh? You talk to Briar Rose like some batch of Arena Champions! I swear, you kids graduate from the Guild and think the whole world’s gonna bow at your feet! Well, guess what? You can’t just gain respect that easily; you have to earn it like the rest of us Heroes.”
“And what are you?” Dominic got to his feet. He walked up to her, and stood up to her. The two were of exact height, strangely. This action received some attention from the crowd, which grew rapidly. A man realised who Dominic was, finally.
“T-That’s Sabre!”
“The Troll Destroyer?!” A woman cried out.
“Yeah!”
Another man shouted, “But how? I thought he just got out of the Guild!”
A shorthaired woman shouted back. “My friend was there! She saw it! She saw it melt away!”
“Melt?! A Troll, melting?! What magic is that?”
“The folk say his hands were on fire-”
“I heard it was his whole body!”
“What the blazes are you all jabbering about?!” Briar Rose looked around at all the gossipers, half-curious, half-annoyed.
The bartender leaned over her drink. “Heroine, that boy-” he pointed at Dominic, “-there is Dominic the Sabre…”
She cocked her head to one side, looking at Dominic from head to boot. “Dominic who?”
A group near the tavern’s door sniggered.
“What?! What’s so great about this Sabre?!”
“He saved Hook Coast from a Snow Troll attack. He’s the talk of the town!”
In rage, Rose unsheathed a dagger and threw it at the man who replied. He yelped and ducked out of the tavern. The dagger stuck itself to a trader’s sleeve, impaling it to the wall. The trader struggled to free himself from the wall, but failed in fear of ripping his shirt apart. Briar Rose glared at Dominic. “So, already made a name for yourself, huh?” She strutted over to the struggling trader and pulled the dagger free. The trader fell forwards. She took the other dagger out. “Well, I don’t care if you destroyed a Snow Troll, or even stabbed Skorm himself. You’re still no match for me.”
Dominic took a step forwards, smirking slightly. “I didn’t come here to make a mess, but if you insist…”
“Dominic, don’t worry about her,” whispered Whisper.
Amber pulled at his elbow. “Come on, let’s go.”
“Yeah, she does this to all the other Heroes.”
Dominic pulled himself free from Amber, and raised his fist at Rose. He focused on its heat. Instantly, it combusted into large flames, large enough to scare half the crowd away. The three Heroines escorted him out of the tavern, each one of them glaring at rose. Still, she seemed unmoved, but as soon as the four Heroes were out of view, she darted upwards, where it was void of any people. There, she sighed in relief. She knew what Trolls were like, and had only killed two in her life, but never had she met one as powerful as the Snow Troll that attacked Hook Coast. That Dominic must have been really powerful to even survive, let alone destroy it. Yes, she knew who that Sabre was, but she didn’t want to seem inferior next to a newcomer. But come to think of it, it was foolish of her to even bother him. If she still went on with it, her arrogant acting might cost her life. Again. She sighed.
Outside the tavern, Dominic blew the flamed off his hand and shook it vigorously to cool it down. The fire quickly faded, but his palm was still a pale blue. He took some fresh air into his lungs, making his hand glow threateningly. “Oh no…”
“Dominic, if you’re going to come with us, then you should get yourself a new sword or something,” Whisper blew his hand, stopping its glow.
“Unless you want to fist-fight a gang of bandits.” Amber added.
Dominic smiled at the two. “Hey, why not? Sounds like fun.”
Whisper placed both of her hands on his cheeks and shook his head. “Seriously, are you sure that Troll didn’t hit you hard?! Now go get a weapon.”
“We’ll meet you at Orchard Farm. See you!” Visa beckoned the other two to follow her out of Bowerstone. Dominic watched them take their weapons and leave, then turned around and thought of his own weapon. He looked around for Ian’s father’s shop. After a bit of walking, he found it next to the barber’s saloon. The building was no bigger than the saloon’s first floor. Outside was a sign of an axe, with the words ‘Wraith’s Weapons’ engraved onto its blade. Dominic walked in.
“Hello, Mr Wraith.”
An old man, whose back was bent over with age, was hammering a new pickhammer into perfection, when he heard Dominic call. He stopped working and looked up. “Ah… Dominic the Sabre! What an honour! Young Ian told me all about you. He’s a fan, alright, he’s a fan.”
Dominic walked to the counter, remembering what Rose said about him having no fans. Behind this counter was a wall covered in weapons of different sizes, shapes and materials. “Really?”
“Oh, sure! Ian would always be ‘Dominic this’ and ‘Dominic that’! It’s too bad you missed him. He just went off to save some kid from the Hobbe Caves down in Darkwood. I tell you, I am just so proud of him! Anyway…” he walked to the counter and replaced his goggles with a pair of turtle-shell rimmed glasses. “…what can I do for you?”
“Umm…” He didn’t really think of it, actually. In his mind, he went through the many types of weapons that were best against bandits, but…Amber’s idea was a good one, at least to him. “How much does a custom weapon cost?”
“Ahh… the ‘to-be’ legend is already asking for his own legendary weapon! Oh ho! I don’t usually do custom, but I suppose I could try… for your sake.”
Dominic rubbed his forehead. “So… how much?”
Mr Wraith smiled. “Depends… how would you like it made?”
“Erm… a longsword would do, but make it extra long, and thin…and light and…erm…strong. Can you make it out of steel?”
“Like I said, I could give it a shot.”
“Okay,” Dominic thought for a while, then remembered something. “Oh right, make sure the handle’s lightning-resistant.”
“Will do, once I get the steel shipped in. We just ran out yesterday, so you might have to wait for a while,” said Mr Wraith. He bent under the computer and pulled out a brown book. He wrote Dominic’s name in it and then counted the number of pending orders. “It seems you have to wait for a week, or more.”
“It’s alright. So how much?”
Mr Wraith took his glasses off. “Normally a weapon like this would cost at least twenty thousand gold-”
“Twenty thousand?!”
Mr Wraith looked at him with an eye. “I didn’t get to finish! It would cost that much under normal circumstances, but since you’re my son’s friend, I’ll make the sword for two thousand.”
“Only?”
“Yes.”
Even after years, Dominic’s cunningness could not keep away, so he couldn’t resist playing around. “Okay, how about five hundred?”
“Two thousand.”
“One thousand?”
“Two thousand.”
“One and a half thousand?”
“You’re not going to get anything if you try that again. Two thousand.”
Dominic sighed. “Two thousand, then.” He pulled a bag of gold out and tossed it onto the counter. “And can I have that dagger?”

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score

Chapter 6, part 2

Roses and Woods

Greatwood’s entrance was a beautiful one, if bandits and wasps never existed. The trees were lively all year round, even through the wind and snow of autumn and winter, as trees kept replacing themselves at the fastest rates. Flowers would accompany the leaves when a strong gust blows them off their branches, in many colours and sizes. The beetles here rarely attacked anyone for they were contented with Greatwood’s sheer size.
A stray Hobbe trekked through the path, lost by many miles. It wore a turtle shell, painted red, on its back, and had a stick in his hand, which glowed at its very tip. Short, and muddy, Hobbes were filthy creatures, even if those stories of humans turning into Hobbes via cannibalism weren’t true. Though they might be territorial in their ways, they move in packs of at least four. But this Hobbe was separated from its allies. It was following its pack to the Hobbe Cave after an assault on the Darkwood Camp, but strayed of into Greatwood when they were sneaked upon by a Hero with the weirdest weapon. A hammer was very useful for close combat, an axe would do lots more damage, and a magic stick is great if you’re a smart Hobbe, but this Hero had all three (and more) weapons squashed onto one handle. Being a smart one itself, the Hobbe ran off before the Hero could rid off it too, and found itself in the middle of Greatwood with no sense of direction whatsoever. Was it really that smart? It doubted it now, but at least it lived.
All this running made it hungry, but all it could see was this big group of humans with weapons and masks (weird Heroes, maybe?) and a lot of wasps (Me hate wasps!). It had to avoid them if it wanted to stay alive, and so it did. But its stomach still rumbled. It groaned its Hobbe groan (more of a high-pitched squeal than anything else), and ran, on its extremely short legs, to a flowering bush. With very muddy reflexes, it brandished its magic stick and sent a stun wave through the bush. Two butterflies fell from it. The Hobbe greedily picked them up and swallowed them both in one gulp. Still, two small insects were never enough for the grown Hobbe. Oh, how it wished for a nice, juicy leg…
“Stupid wasps!”
The Hobbe turned towards the whimpering and saw a travelling merchant, who had his back to a tree trunk. A scared, defenceless human…sounded tasty. The Hobbe thanked the heavens for his granted wish ran charged, waving his magic stick at him.
“Yek!Yek!Yek!”
The trader diverted his attention from the wasps that hovered around a nearby bush, to the Hobbe that was throwing small orbs of white stun magic at him…at him?
He ducked clumsily, avoiding the orbs, but tripping himself at the same time. He knew it, he had a feeling that today was going to be a bad one. Ever since that red Heroine tried to kill him with her daggers, he knew that he was done for, sooner or later… but why him? Why now?
The Hobbe, delighted at his easy meal, raised its stick…
“Hai-Yah!”
The Hobbe was forced backwards and off its feet, landing a dozen of metres away. The Hobbe held his head and looked up. There, a big-armed Hero was standing over the trader, in a pose that could only mean more pain for it. It shrieked and ran off, but into a bandit’s field of sight it ran. It fell in a heap, with an arrow protruding from the back of its head. The trader cowered on the dirt, as Dominic kicked him lightly on the legs.
“Get up, merchant.”
He shuddered even more.
“I said, get up!”
The merchant shot up, standing but afraid now. “Please, don’t kill me! I have a family, I have a shop! Please, spare me!”
“Don’t wet yourself,” Dominic turned away. “I just wanted to see if you could walk on your own.” He stepped down the path, going deeper into the forest.
“Wait!”
“What do you want?” He asked, without as much as a look behind. He kept walking.
“I need your help,” the merchant ran to catch up with him, and walked beside him when he did catch up. “I have to deliver something to Isiah the farmer in Orchard Farm, and I need to get there by tonight! But I’m too scared to go through Greatwood alone, so can you help me get there? Please, I’m desperate!”
Dominic looked at him, and smiled. “Orchard Farm?”
The merchant nodded.
“Well, you’re in luck. I’m headed there myself. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to take you along, if you don’t weight me down too much.”
“Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you-” he took another deep breath, “-thank you, thank you-”
“Enough!”
The merchant put a hand over his mouth for a second or two, before opening his mouth again. “Erm… thank you, sir. You don’t know how happy this makes me! Why, I was about to give up…”
The trader was silenced as Dominic put a finger on his lips, and gestured him to listen. There were footsteps, getting louder and clearer with every step, or steps. People were heading up the trail, towards them. They might be friendly, but then again, they might be foe, so Dominic could not be too sure. He mouthed the word ‘Hide’. The two of them pushed themselves into a thick bush just off the trail, and waited. Soon, the owners of the footsteps reached them and walked past them. Mask-wearing bandits, wielding crossbows fitted with flammable arrows, trotted past slowly. Dominic counted five in total.
“You think the boss will leave some for us?”
“The reward? Not a chance…”
“I meant the gold. He can have Grey if he wants. The Bordello has much better girls.”
“You sure ‘bout that? I hear’ virgins are de’ best…”
“Who said Grey was a virgin?! My guy in North Bowerstone said that Grey picks the caught ones up from the Bowerstone Jail and makes them her sex slaves and locks them up in that manor of hers.”
“Even our female bandits?”
“She’s sick, alright. She’s sick.”
“Ah-CHOO!”
“Hey Adrian, was that you?”
“Ner’ it ain’t not me!”
The bandits stopped and turned around. There, hiding in the bush, was a trader. “Argh!”
One of the bandits laughed. “Garry, weren’t you complaining ‘bout nothing to shoot? Well, here’s y’ur chance.”
“Gladly-” Garry swayed on one spot and fell forwards, a stabbed wound leaking its blood all over his back. A Hero appeared out of the top of a tree, and landed on the tallest bandit, who suddenly had a dagger sticking out of his ear. Dominic somersaulted onto the ground, unstuck his dagger, and clashed blades with the nearest bandit. He spun around and used the dagger’s keen edge to slide his blade along it, cutting another bandit clean from shoulder to waist. He blocked another’s swing and kicked him backwards, then turned to block the other. He forced the bandit back and threw a bolt of lightning into his scimitar. It glowed brightly, and burnt the bandit’s hand. Dominic lunged and stabbed him by the heart. The bandit fell from his dagger, leaving only one left. But when he turned to look for the last bandit, he couldn’t find him. He must have fled. Dominic inserted the dagger into his belt.
“Ah Hah!” Dominic turned to see a glimpse of the bandit attacking from behind him. He reached for his dagger, but knew it was already too late. He saw the bandit’s eyes, swivelling rapidly with madness, but suddenly limp. The bandit fell on top of him, the scimitar falling from his hand. Dominic pushed the body off himself, and saw the trader. He had a crossbow in his shaking hands.
“That was… not bad…”
While the trader congratulated himself, Dominic picked a bow up himself and hook a quiver of arrows onto his belt. They proved useful, so might as well use them. He looked around at he whole scene. Five bloodied bodies, right in the middle of a dirt path. People said that when you kill someone of your own species, you’d feel a kind of sorrow that underlined the warmth that still lingered in your heart. But, Dominic felt only ice in the heart. They were only bandits, right?
“C’mon, let’s go.”
As the evening Sun glided below the horizon and was replaced by the silver Moon, they walked through Greatwood, walking past many trees, bushes and ancient monuments. When night was in her prime, they stopped at the bank of Greatwood’s largest lake, Greatwood Lake. While they rested, they had the time to stare at a strange piece of stone that was on an island in the middle of the lake. The stone was a large hemisphere that, from what they could see, was covered in carvings from the time of the Old Kingdom.
Dominic found the trader that he had been travelling with very talkative. While they trekked through the forest, he talked, and he talked about pretty much everything, from how he was chased by Balverines in Witchwood, to his marriage with some maiden from Knothole Glade.
“Before I met you, I was asking everyone I saw, but everyone ignored me. And have you ever met this one Heroine? Wore a red, striking suit and boy was she rude! Tried to kill me, can you believe that?! I swear, something must have gotten under her skin, and it can’t be nice-”
“Okay, I get your point. Now, wait here,” Dominic walked on.
The trader stared after him, with a curious look. “But isn’t Orchard Farm right there…” he said, but trailed off when two bandits jumped out of the bushes and attacked Dominic. Dominic conjured his lightning and disposed of them quickly, without even thinking about hesitating. As the bandits fell he waved for the merchant to hurry. They walked for a minute more, and stopped before a wooden gate, which had two red apples painted on its face.
Dominic yelled at the tree on the gate’s right side. “Friends, coming in!”
“Hurry up, farmboy!” Whisper poked her face out of the tree’s mass of leaves.
Dominic and the merchant ran into the farm. There were trees of apples and trees of apples, scattered across the area, with nothing but apples. There was a barn filled with hay and wood in one corner, and a house in another. Two gates were positioned at the north and south entrances, and at the east was a river. Dominic turned to the trader. “Aren’t you supposed to be delivering something?”
“Why, yes…”
“Then go to the house, and stay there until the coast is clear.”
“Got it,” the merchant turned to start towards the house, but turned back to Dominic to say, “Thanks!”
“Get out, now!”

Hope you loved this one! More to come in Chapter Seven!

Azer249

Reaction score

VERY good :) +rep

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

Daniel Ray;351549 said:
House after wooden house,
Typo after bloody typo,

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score

This story is amazing!!! Please make as many as possible before the point that you will go insane.

Notice I said will not may....;)

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score

James Butts;366598 said:
This story is amazing!!! Please make as many as possible before the point that you will go insane.

Notice I said will not may....;)

I'm insane already! Hehe... The next chapter's on it's way...

And some typos really aren't typos, if you take it in a poetic way (intended for DarkenedSoul)

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score

I'm just wondering about when the next chapter is due. I love reading this story and I can't wait for the next chapter.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score

From now on, I'm going to give you guys the story in smaller parts... My chapters are getting tooooo long for the forum's maximum number of letters...

Chapter 7
Behind the Blue Veil

Part 1

Coincidentally, ever since the sacking of Oakvale nine years ago, Urnwraith had lived his life as a bandit. Stealing, pillaging, assaulting, you name the crime, and he’s done the lot. He even had a warrant for his head, made crucial only after half a dozen women of Bowerstone accused him of rape. He snorted, as he recalled those numerous, satisfying times, sneaking through the darkened streets and forcing into houses of sleeping innocents. Happy, happy times, those were… But even as a bandit, he considered himself a man of high standards, choosing only the finest among the loot and sex slaves. In fact, he was at Orchard Farm that very night, for the classiest lady of Bowerstone, Lady Grey.
Just steal some pathetic stuff from the Farm and Grey’s mine.
He liked to imagine himself in bed with Lady Grey, doing the sickest things. Now, wouldn’t that be pleasing? He laughed to himself.
“Argh!”
All of his corrupted thoughts were put aside, interrupted, as two of his bandits screamed their lives past him.
“Heroes!”
“C’mon, you dim-wits! They’re just bloody idiots in shining ar-”
There was a loud slash from the gate. A bandit fell before a young, but muscular, Hero. The Hero took a step back and kicked the fallen bandit’s head. It tore off its neck. Urnwraith looked up and saw it fall just before him, still bleeding its red blood. Urnwraith took a deep breath.
Behind Urnwraith, flashed a bluish-red light. He turned around to see a man appear. He was fitted entirely, from helmet to boot, in blood-tainted armour. Tall, he was. The inside of his helmet glowed an eerie red and his left black gauntlet radiated with red light.
“Ah! You’re late!” Urnwraith glared at him, with one eye still on the gate. The young Hero had disappeared. “Your services are currently needed. Go!”
The man raised a fist. In a very deep voice, he spoke.
“I told you, I’m here to steal for Grey. I’m not killing anyone for you.”
“I’m not asking you to kill them; I’m asking you to stop them from killing my men!”
The man nodded, relaxing his fist. He ran to the gate, casting spells over Will-magic over spells. Two guards, similar to the ones from Bowerstone, ran up to swing their swords at him, but were forced backwards by a strong burst of energy. They fell into stacks of hay, their swords in pieces. Without pausing for even a millisecond, the man continued. Arrows were shot from the trees, but could not touch him. They fell vertically before contact, stopped by several Will shields, much to the annoyance of both Dominic and Visa.
“Damn!”
The man ignored them, looking for the item to steal instead. There, the barn house. From what Urnwraith said, the loot was buried in a pile of hay. He threw a ball of fire into the building and left it to burn away. When all of its hay and wood had gone, a metal box could be seen, shining, unscathed from the fire. He grabbed it hastily and ran back for the gate. Dominic growled, jumping out of his tree, and crashing into the man. His shields faded, as the two fell forward. The box fell from the man’s grasp, but a bandit picked it up and turned to flee. He didn’t go far, however, as a massive strike of lightning came rushing down his back, originating from Amber’s fingertips. The bow fell again, clanking over the grass.
The man threw Dominic off him with another blast of energy, rolling to his feet, and running off with the box again. Dominic somersaulted upright and chased him. Raising his hand, he threw a blue fireball at the retreating man. It went straight, but veered off, due to an unseen force. All of it was madness! How could he not hit the man? How could those arrows not go near him? Why was his helmet and gauntlet glowing? Why?!
Dominic, now frustrated, yelled.
“Whisper! The gate! Close the gate!”
The man stopped running, and let the loot fall from his hands. Turning around, he took his helmet off, and threw it aside. Dominic, too stopped, and gasped. The man had a red, artificial eye, and a scar that trailed down the side of his face… Of course! Only he knew how to conjure shields! Only he knew how to avoid Will with his own! It was…
“Donaven!”
“Dominic?”
He nodded and ran up to catch up with Donaven. Bandits who had just crossed the gate, were running up to help their ‘armoured man’, but realised that their man was in fact a Hero as well. They charged.
“Donaven, what are you doing?! Working for bandits?!”
One bandit, who hadn’t noticed the change in the air, ran up to Donaven.
“Hey, sir, you need help-”
Donaven threw a bolt of lightning at his face, stunning him till he crumpled forwards. Donaven replied Dominic.
“Well, I wasn’t going to kill anyone, nor let the bandits, but this job paid better than protecting the Farm, and I need the gold, badly.”
“So, what now?” asked Dominic, as he side kicked a bandit and stabbed an arrow into his chest. Donaven looked around at the incoming bandits, and sighed.
“Damn you, Dominic!”
He turned around and grabbed an arrow from Dominic’s quiver. Using his Will, he replicated it to send a volley of ethereal arrows at the horde.
Urnwraith watched from the top of a nearby hill, outside the Farm, watched as Donaven betrayed his own ‘allies’. He groaned, and furiously, he unsheathed his bloodstained Greatsword.
“I’m going to kill him…myself!”
As Whisper and Amber joined the battle, Visa noticed Urnwraith running down the path. She shouted.
“Dominic!”
Dominic somersaulted out of the battle’s heat, smiled, and stepped forward, but was stopped when Donaven placed a hand on his shoulder, holding him back.
“He’s mine.”
Dominic nodded and tore through another pair of bandits. One by one, they fell and fled, and one by one, their numbers deplenished. Soon, only Urnwraith remained. When he finally reached them, he cried in disbelief.
“My-My men!”
He rushed ahead in fury, as Donaven stood in defiance. He raised his Greatsword and slashed at Donaven, who ducked with an easy side-stepped. He pulled Hiryu out and let the moonlight dance along its blade, specked by a single red reflection of his rotating eye. Donaven twirled it, gently but swiftly, at Urnwraith’s arm. His sleeve fell in shreds, revealing both the tattoo of the Bandits, and a scar that stirred Dominic’s memory. Familiar… A scar that went from shoulder to elbow….
“Eugene?” Dominic started forwards. “Is that you?”
“WH- how do you know my name?!”
“I’m Dominic, remember me?”
“Bu-But-” Eugene Carlson’s gaze changed from bewilderment to a glare. “The Goodie…”
Dominic turned to Donaven, his face bewildered. “Donaven! How did you-”
“Uh-” Donaven started, but was stopped. Eugene attacked, cutting his sentence prematurely. He blocked it away, grabbed his arm, and sent a wave of electricity through it. Eugene was paralysed, and was let to fall from Donaven’s hand. His head landed on Donaven’s helmet. There was an unnerving crack, and he fell unconscious. Donaven continued.
“To tell you the truth, the sleeve thing was an accident. But what I do know-” he kicked Eugene on the rib, “-is that this low life’s got the criminal book down. Bowerstone has a bounty for his head, you see…I had planned to trick him into seeing the town guards, but I suppose him being unconscious is easier.”
“Huh…” Visa walked forwards, strapping her longbow onto her back. “So this Urnwraith was some guy Dominic knew, right?”
“Right…sort of…not sure, actually…”
Whisper cleaned the dirt off the tip of her spear and started the journey back to Bowerstone. “Come on, Amber, Visa, Dominic. We should be heading back.”
Visa shrugged, and followed. Amber asked Donaven something, her eyes trailing off to Eugene Carlson.
“So… what now?”
“The bounty, perhaps… I’ll turn him in for the money and be done with it. I think he’s learnt his lesson.”
“Oh…okay.”
“Hey, Amber. Can I ask you something? Is Whisper all right?”
“Besides the fact that she’s giving you the silent treatment? Yeah, she’s fine.”
“Ah, I feel much better now,” he said, sarcastically, then turned to carry Eugene, but realised Dominic’s facial expression. It was blank, and cold, colder than it ever was, or he ever saw. His pupils were dark, frozen dots standing in the white of his eyes. He stared at the Greatsword that laid at his feet.
“Dominic, are you all ri-”
Before Donaven could finish his question, Dominic picked the sword up and surprised everyone down to his or her gasps, Heroes and guards alike. He thrust the blade straight down, straight through Eugene’s chest, piercing his very heart.
“Dominic! What did you do that for?!” Whisper ran back, with Visa beside her. Donaven stumbled a step back, losing some of his balance. But through all the reactions, Dominic remained stone-face. In the darkest tone, he casually said, as he turned to leave the scene.
“He’s a bandit. He deserved it.”

Jasontated

Hail Satan dark lord & master.
Reaction score

If I could read I'm sure this story would arouse my wildest, omega erotic, fantasy's.

Silent420

Proud Progressive
Premium
Reaction score

Looks awesome!

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score

Chapter 7, Behind The Blue Veil
Part 2

On the way back to the Guild, Dominic was alone. Donaven had to bring Eugene Carlson’s body to Bowerstone Jail for his reward, and Whisper decided to help Isiah the farmer in the repairs of his Farm. Of course, both Amber and Visa stayed as well, as they wanted to experience a farmer’s daily life. Visa found them… interesting.
Dominic had to walk for his Guild Seal was damaged in the battle with the Snow Troll. Though it had been destroyed then, only now did he regret its absence. It was close to dawn when he had arrived, and as he walked through the Guild’s entrance, he was met by Maze. Maze was filling more quest cards into place when Dominic walked in. Immediately, he put his quill and ink down, and set the vacant cards aside.
“Dominic, I would like to have a word with you.”
Dominic said nothing, and walked past him. Maze picked his quill up and followed him.
“I heard what happened at Orchard Farm from a Guild Guard, and I must say, I am astounded by your brutality.”
“Are you, Maze?” He walked down a flight of marble steps, and into the mess hall. Several apprentices were having their breakfast, and a couple had their daggers out in mock combat. The girl attacked, making the boy dodge. He jumped onto the long table, and stomped onto many students’ pancakes. The girl somersaulted onto the boy’s shoulders and drew her dagger against his neck. Several clapped. Some laughed. Others glared.
“Listen, Dominic. I know where you’re going with this, but it isn’t decent to throw your revenge on every bandit out there, just because some took your family and life away.”
“I did nothing to be ashamed of,” Dominic crossed his arms, defiantly, and stubbornly.
“Doing something to be ashamed of and doing something indecent or possibly illegal are two very different statements. Even if bandits are free game and are allowed to be killed at will, but killing an unconscious and unarmed man, bandit or not, is nothing short of murder.”
“You, of all people, should understand!” the joyous air of the mess hall grew quiet. Many turned to see the two. They had stopped walking, glaring at each other with eyes that could blow a weak soul’s heart apart in split seconds. “You saw my village, and what those murderers took from me! My family, my home, my life! They took it all away, without as much as an ounce of mercy! Why should I spare those who give nothing but torture?!”
Maze stood up to him, standing over him with a pulse on his neck, very much noticeable. He flexed his fingers as they lit up.
“Because you are better than them!”
He turned around and walked back to the map-room, but stopped on the stairs. Grievously, he added.
“I thought you were better…” and he left, leaving Dominic to stand alone, speechless. He looked at all of those who stared at him, including at the pair who were transfixed on him from on top of the table.
“What?!”
They all jumped, then returned to their food in whispers. Several stood up and left. Dominic sighed and made his way up to the Courtyard. The statues there were great listeners, and, to his comfort, they don’t talk back.

Mad Money Z

If I was a penguin...
Reaction score

It is great! But yeah titles would have been better for the hero. +rep