• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Good or Evil?

When I first played through Fable, I was...

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Evil

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • A bit of both...

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Ulicus

Re: Good or Evil?

weirdkidinabox said:
Apparently the guild wasnt just for those wanted to do good though. Scythe and the Guildmaster, formerly known as Weaver, started some crazy rebellion in the guild to allow those who wanted to study the darker side of being a hero to freely study it and choose the path they wanted. I guess thats the reason that Lionhead used to justify why the guild didnt hack up the evil dudes.

:blush:

Oh I know, and I discussed that in my "To Not Suck Fable 2 Needs To..." thread. It's a *really* stupid idea, and it was done purely to explain the gameplay mechanic of having to go to the Guild of Heroes for quests.

It makes no sense, the Oracle says that it was a crusade in the "Name of Freedom", but it's one thing to say: "You can choose your own path in life", it's entirely another to say: "We're going to train you to become an elite fighting/magic machine and we couldn't care less if you went out and massacred everyone!" The people of Albion would not stand for it, and neither would many of the more virtuous Heroes.

It's one of the things I hated the MOST about Fable. And the Guildmaster has never come across as a stern, distant figure like the game constantly tells us he is- he seems very grandfatherly actually.

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

Your completely right, Ulicus. The way they made they made both the Guild and the Guild's history seemed like two completely different things. When the Oracle spoke about the Guild it said that the Guild turned it's head from any immoral quests, yet you have bandits and assassins setting up quest cards right on the table for you. What they should have done is that the story would take a drastic turn one point in the game and have it stay that way. For example: If you remained good then you would still be permitted into the guild where you would obtain quest cards and be a great hero. If you chose to be evil you would no longer be allowed into the guild and you would join an underground guild or even join the bandits and obtain there own "quest cards" from there. Finally, if you chose to be neutral (there has to always be a place for neutral) then you would have access to neither of these choices but instead work as a mercenary and probably join some merc team or something of the sort. This would have made the game oh so much better in amny ways. But to ease your minds, the reason they did this is for those who like to be evil in the beginning but later on choose to be good, or the other way around. They make the game so that those who are slightly indecisive could still at least play without having issues with guilt or well indecisiveness.

C

Crazyarms

Whats with you and writing really big posts. I hate reading. I love to write, but i hate reading. umm....Thats kinda ironic isnt it.

Back on topic: I was wondering who are the other 4 people who voting good? O wait that the first time they played. nvm

U

Ulicus

When the Oracle spoke about the Guild it said that the Guild turned it's head from any immoral quests, yet you have bandits and assassins setting up quest cards right on the table for you
The Oracle said that the Guild turned away from offering "only virtuous quests" and that they'd "leave the moral destiny of all future acolytes in their own hands". In that sense, it's right - it just doesn't translate well at all into the story.

It would have worked better if there were some restrictions on "Guild-Evil" - which I think are hinted at in terms of plot (think the tale of Twinblade), yet never put into the game.

Basically, the Guild would stop offering you quest cards if:

- You killed without any excuse (i.e. not on a quest)
- You refused to pay any fines for crimes for which you were caught
- You attacked anyone within the Guild walls

And the penalty for murder should *not* have been a fine. It should have been 15-25 years in a cell. Considering how much people hate aging, that would have been a real turn off for most - while a wonderful challenge for others.

EDIT: Plus, fines should not have been "forgotten" ever, until they were paid. It's just not believable.

So, basically - you could have still been evil, it would just be a regulated - even 'honourable' - evil. That way, when you finally betray the Guild in TLC, it carries more weight.

If they implement that sort of system in Fable 2 - I'll be nuff happy. I mean, how great would it be to commit a crime, and then be forced to go on a hunt for a witness before he contacted the Guild? If you fail, you lose your Hero's License...

Haha, that would be good actually - a points system for your "Hero's License". Too much unregulated evil and you get it suspended. It's the sort of thing I can imagine happening in the world of Albion.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

I think these ideas are really damn good ones, i agree that i was odd that the guild 'let' you do evil quests whereas they were trying to save the world :hmm: i think you should have to join an underground guild or a bandit camp etc if your evil aswel.

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

Ulicus said:
The Oracle said that the Guild turned away from offering "only virtuous quests" and that they'd "leave the moral destiny of all future acolytes in their own hands". In that sense, it's right - it just doesn't translate well at all into the story.

Ok, my mistake I must have read it wrong. But you have to think why they would allow bad quests if it is the HERO guild after all, I don't think it would be very hero-like killing all the people in Barrow Fields.

U

Ulicus

Seigfried said:
Ok, my mistake I must have read it wrong. But you have to think why they would allow bad quests if it is the HERO guild after all, I don't think it would be very hero-like killing all the people in Barrow Fields.

Yeah, I totally agree, it's pretty stupid. Though it reminds me of something I read in a warhammer supplement eons ago, which essentially said:

"Even darkness and evil needs its heroes and champions..."

Looking at it from that perspective, you could say that while an Evil "Hero" isn't a Hero for the common people of Albion, to the bandits and other bad guys, he is.

But yeah, ultimately, it's silly. Villains' Guild all the way!

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

But wouldn't an "evil hero" just be a villain. And I'm all for a neutral perty, they have to have some kind of neutral storyline.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Just noticed how close the poll is :O must get more evil votes :devil:

Great messages people keep up the great ideas :thumbsup:

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

Crazyarms said:
Whats with you and writing really big posts. I hate reading. I love to write, but i hate reading. umm....Thats kinda ironic isnt it.

Back on topic: I was wondering who are the other 4 people who voting good? O wait that the first time they played. nvm

I voted good, out of about six different characters I have played through only one has been evil and that was only because I put JOB's mask on at the end of TLC. So it wasnt really my first time playing through as good- its almost everytime I play and I been playing since Fable the original was released on XBox in the UK...

So technically since this forum and topic is only for discussion about Fable and not TLC I have only ever played good.

T

TheBeast

fisrt time i went through i was starting out as good then found out its to hard to stay good cause there so much stuff i wanted to do that was bad so i became evil but then in the end i didnt kill the sister. but i would have to say i was more evil then good. but i find that being good is harder then being evil so i am working on a good player right now. but i do like being evil more then good.

J

JackofBlades39

I started out good 2 make it all the more fun 2 kill everyone in the end..... I was hoping i'd get the "Angel of death" title or sumthin.=P

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

No, your sticking with the title you have, though a newly gained title would have been a good reward, instead of gaining useless renown.

S

Selej

I went through the first time as though I were in that positition. I turned out to be almost 90% good...jeez. I played it through evil next and it just seemed a lot less rewarding. It was kinda way too easily for my taste.

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

And neutral will always triumph over both. Mercenaries for ever!

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

I like the way the poll has split :p

K

kane

i have a pet dog,so i wont kick or eat them,i wont run anyone over,but im REALLY EVIL(WA HA HA HA HA Ha!)

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

Let us test that claim.

If you were in a war and pitted in the very front lines of the battle. You see your comrads charge towards the enemy as does the enemy towards your team. Swords and spears collide and blood is splattered everywhere. you have your choice, do you...

a. charge towards the enemy and help defend your comrads
b. remain where you are and secure your standing
c. retreat and keep your life, at the price of your team

After you decide this I will continue to give you scenarios and in the end your decisions will test your immorality.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

I would have to say either A or B (depending on stragegic planning at the time)

Status
Not open for further replies.