• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Likes, Dislikes, & Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I was crap. But I was good at Fortune's Tower in Fable II...

Still, I got my pack of Fable playing cards so I can just pretend I already have pub games to play. Like the crazy old lady that I am...

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
I was crap. But I was good at Fortune's Tower in Fable II...

Still, I got my pack of Fable playing cards so I can just pretend I already have pub games to play. Like the crazy old lady that I am...

I was terrible at the games in Fable II. I made my gold the gool ol' fashioned way... blacksmithing!

I have them too but I'm afraid my clumsy, meat-filled fingers will ruin them. :'(

Maverickhey

Reaction score
You're right on one part, you're stubborn AND ignorant. You've even gone so far as to state that you refuse to believe anything I say just because you experience it differently. That's basically you saying what I said but refusing to believe anything anyone else says.

This argument is pointless. You're going to keep this repetitive cycle of "It's this way because I said it is!" and that's just going to further derail this thread. If you honestly believe this is worth continuing, you can PM me.

I am using facts you are using natural assumption thats the difference. Ignorance is lack of knowing something I know how to use a stop watch. Cause you assume 1 second does not make it so.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
I am using facts you are using natural assumption thats the difference. Ignorance is lack of knowing something I know how to use a stop watch. Cause you assume 1 second does not make it so.

And you assuming it takes more than a second does not make it so. Also, you're not using facts unless you can provide proof and you haven't done that at all.

Bigkahun

Reaction score
Pros:
spell weaving=really fun. The weapon morphing was a great improvement. Loved these games because of the(mostly) complete control over your character. Story was very epic. I loved all the different characters that u had to persuade to go on my side.

Cons:
The spells could have had a lot more options. So it said that the magic came from u and chaneled out of the gauntlets. You would think there would be a bunch of different spells. :p. I also wanted maybe an ax and a cleaver and some other weapon morphs. Also the turret rifles and pistols and crossbows would have been perfect for this game. The story was also very short. Needed more to it.

What I think they should do for fable 4 is maybe go back to the time were there were a bunch of heroes like in fable 1. Or after fable 3 but with a bunch of heroes.(so I guess your hero would be a total player) :D

Aruu

Reaction score
L I K E S

* The fact that your hero actually got a voice! It added amazingly to the game experience, even if it did make the sex scenes sound a little dodgier than usual.

* The new characters. Sir Walter, Ben Finn, Page, I loved them all. I really wish you had the option to date either Page or Ben, I would have been all over Ben like a fat kid on a chocolate cake.

* I love, LOVE Bowerstone Industrial. I love the grimness of it, the steampunk theme, just the overall atmosphere was perfect. The music was great too, absolutely perfect for the setting.

* I'm in love with the 'Practical Princess' outfit. It was perfect, and it's the one I constantly go back to. The colours, the flow of the skit, absolutely loved it.

* Spellweaver ability, that was awesome! Still have to play around with those options.

D I S L I K E S

* Severe lack of clothing options. Most of them tended to lean towards being overly posh/layered, it would have been nice to see some more simple options for customisation.

* Severe lack of hair style choices. And most of the female ones were unflattering. The Long Hair was nice, but also far too hard to get hold of.

* BALVERINES. Seriously, why did it have to be Balverines? I really don't like how every enemy at night turned into Balverines. Granted they're not a problem at the higher levels, but they're still a pain to deal with in packs of eight or so, and really put me off exploring areas that are abundant with them. And just why are there so many white Balverines when they're supposed to be so rare?

* Those bandits who were a clone of the Mercenary Boss, the ones who could inexplicably shoot balls of fire at you. Annoying to deal with, and a cheap shot, especially when you have two to fight in a very small room.

* Lack of will spells.

I M P R O V E M E N T S

* The hero's body shape morphing in accordance to whether they used will/skill/strength was done far more realistically. No more Amazonian type women who just happened to use a bit of strength, a realistically toned body build that still looks really good. Also the weight settles better, and often makes a character look better.

* Graphics have improved a fair bit, especially with the character interactions. I love the way you hug your kids, so adorable.

atlantiantokra

Reaction score
It actually makes a great deal of sense. From Fable to Fable II, five hundred years have passed and it's safe to assume that the bloodline wasn't kept between just heroes. This might explain why there weren't so many spells in Fable II although that's more likely to be because the developers wanted to get lazy. In Fable III another fifty years pass and AGAIN the bloodline is diluted so our hero's magic would not be as strong as our ancestor from the original game and it would explain the use of the gauntlets. My guess is that they're not necessarily required but that they help to harness and give us a way to channel our magical abilities since without it, it would be very weak. Of course, I'm just guessing all this since Lionhead has done nothing to explain anything.
I don't know if what i'm about to say has already been said, i'm too lazy to check, but the gauntlets domake sense I mean the hero of oakvale was trainied at the guild and the hero of bowerstone could only use magic after it had been activated in the guild, the hero of... albion? has no direct access to the guild or a hero who could have knowledge of it

bradio12

Reaction score
well i personally liked that chesty gave to me a giant chess board to play whenever AND a magical house becuase when he gives to you its all crappy and dirty you find this mirror and instead of you being in the mirror its a floating skull guide the skull through a puzzle then you can jump through the mirror when you do that the house is all pretty and happy THANK YOU SUPER BEST FRIEND CHESTY

the voice acting was good also the humor was awesome "what a nice day we are having EXCEPT WHERE YOUR STANDING!"
LOL

but yes the dancing with a man thing was weird (unless you want your char to be gay of course)

ovonodo

Reaction score
Was anyone else bugged about how you don't actually GROW horns when your evil? I loved that aspect of Fable I and Fable II, that was one of the main reasons why I always became evil.

Don't get me wrong, I love the demonish wings and horns you grow in Fable III, but it only happens when your charging a flourish or your gun, like why couldn't you have the option to appear like that ALL the time, it looks so epic.

Like said before, extreme lack of clothing - and most are jokes, and it seems like there is no variation in weapon styles, If I can recall right now, there are 2 hammers that are the EXACT same thing but different names and damage difference is by like 3. I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's something like The Lumanarium and something of the moon, there both the same hammers.

Jamin

Reaction score
i liked the special kills, spellweaving, and weapon changing more than anything.
didnt like at all being forced to do certain emotes not being able to choose. also forced to do it 1 at a time. though if i could choose my emotes i wouldn't mind that as much.
improvements: really just way to short and not really all that many quests could have been atleast a few more quests if not for anything just for fun and something to do.

and MaleficRaven i really liked your reasoning on page 1 for the gauntlets that actually was a really good theory i didnt actually think of it that way. way to go sir.
my theory was that maybe cause if you noticed in fable 1 & 2 you were taken as a child to train and hone your abilities to become the hero you were meant to be. but in this one while you had combat training from walter from time to time you didnt even know you had magic till you were like what 18? and that the gauntlets are just a simple way of helping you channel your energy into casting the spell. since your being kinda thrust into becoming a hero and didnt have time to learn how to properly. just kinda like in alot of movies and what not for such things they have little objects for helping people focus. just my theory.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
I don't know if what i'm about to say has already been said, i'm too lazy to check, but the gauntlets domake sense I mean the hero of oakvale was trainied at the guild and the hero of bowerstone could only use magic after it had been activated in the guild, the hero of... albion? has no direct access to the guild or a hero who could have knowledge of it

That's not what I said but I was justifying the use of gauntlets, so there wasn't really any reason to quote me.

Lynne

Reaction score
Combat went down a notch from 2. I was so over the mini cut scenes during flourishes in combat. I spent half of every battle waiting for the scenes to be over. It was seriously annoying. And yes, magic was too easy. The spell weaving was cool but at least taking hits while charging wouldnt stop you from charging, like it did with charging flourishes for melee and guns. Thats one thing I dislike. One thing I liked was the size of the areas rhough I wish there was a bit more canon included to at least tell us what has happened to areas like bloodstone and oakfield since we couldnt go. Seeing familliar territory was a nice surprise but too sparse, like seeing brightwood tower in the distance. Oh and for Christs sake, the one improvement should be more clothing and hairstyle customization and if I want to dye my shirt white I want it white not a dirty light gray.
Thats all for now.

Pepsiplz

Reaction score
A lot of people have already touched on Fable 3's short comings so I will just say "IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT"

Reaction score
Combat went down a notch from 2. I was so over the mini cut scenes during flourishes in combat. I spent half of every battle waiting for the scenes to be over. It was seriously annoying. And yes, magic was too easy. The spell weaving was cool but at least taking hits while charging wouldnt stop you from charging, like it did with charging flourishes for melee and guns. Thats one thing I dislike. One thing I liked was the size of the areas rhough I wish there was a bit more canon included to at least tell us what has happened to areas like bloodstone and oakfield since we couldnt go. Seeing familliar territory was a nice surprise but too sparse, like seeing brightwood tower in the distance. Oh and for Christs sake, the one improvement should be more clothing and hairstyle customization and if I want to dye my shirt white I want it white not a dirty light gray.
Thats all for now.

Yeah, what She said.

Recycled Human

Reaction score
I've been waiting for the combat debate and it looks like I should have checked back sooner cuz now I'm late to the party. In Fable 3 I played my first two playthroughs using hammers first then swords, in my third and current playthrough I'm using guns (I suppose I should try a purely magic playthrough). Anyway, If I had to rate combat it would go Range>Magic>Melee.

Since I know melee best I'll elaborate on the issues it faces.

Enemy AI - In the early stages of the game, melee has little to worry about, you could jump into the middle of a mob and not fear getting crushed because you'd usually only be attacked by one enemy at a time and they weren't yet using guns. This is quickly rectified with the introduction of second tier enemies (If I use hollowmen as an example, the regular skeletons are the easiest, they won't attack more than one at a time, they won't block and go down quickly. The red shirts take more damage to down but are ultimately the same. The helmet/armor wearing Skeletons introduce the ability to block, cast magic, and attack regardless AND these are introduced before you exit the reliquary. And the Big ones can summon others and weave magic) Suddenly, it is no longer safe to charge into battle with a melee weapon, as you will either spend a lot of time blocking or a lot of time dodge rolling. In fable 2 I remember fighting mercs for a long time before I met the ones capable of blocking but in Fable 3 all mercs can block, its only a matter of which one throws up a block quicker. The sandfuries greatly improved the Highwaymen AI for blocking and dodging but lessened the sting of their attacks considerably making them more of an annoyance than anything. Generally, at a certain point all enemies have to be 'tricked' into falling into your flourish. There is a point in the game where the enemies begin to step backwards and will wait out your flourish, this is very effective as the limited range severely handicaps melee combat.

Flourishes - Since it is most opportune to engage an enemy with quick strikes till they block (rooting them in place while they await your next quick attack) then charge a flourish and ground finish them, it needs to be said that there are multiple stages of flourishes. If you begin to charge a flourish and release too soon you will get a weak flourish, it will hit multiple enemies but will only serve as a knockback and not a flooring and it can be blocked. The second stage is right as the controller rumbles which takes at least 2 seconds to charge and can break blocks and ground enemies. Finally, is the big explosive flourishes which take an additional second to charge, make your morality lines bright and generally come with a dynamic camera moment and does significant damage to the enemy, it also seems to leave the morality lines lingering longer though I have no idea what that could mean. After a while, with flourishes you begin to learn there is a time and a place for them. You can potentially always use flourishes, however, any attack made against you instantly knocks you out of it, you can't dodge roll out of it (you are required to go to block first) and either due to a glitch or some sort of odd design, dropping out of block now forces an attack in the direction your facing (either that or my controller is messed up too...) either way, not very effective in escaping damage (like aoe spells).

Damage - In Fable 2, I recall entering the flourish by charging the button and releasing, during a flourish all damage was nullified. Not so in Fable 3, and the enemies seem to know it. Even while one on one, Flourishes can still force you to take damage if your opponent swings at the same time you do. Even worse when surrounded by enemies, they can easily drop your health down to zip during a flourish because there's nothing you can do about it. This makes you very selective about the use of flourishes in combat, or fights would be required to last considerably longer due to an abuse of dodge rolling in order to get into a position that allows you to get off a flourish, both uninterrupted and without being attacked during it. And with enemy AI's being improved in this area, they now make liberal use of the run up and attack move closing the distance quickly and putting you in harms way sooner.

Glitched Block - The glitched block and the sliding flourish are very annoying, sometimes if on a hill and sometimes for no reason at all, you will suddenly notice you can't block. You can hold down the button but your hero will not put up the block. You can try and do it several times and the most he'll do is swing quick strikes out. The problem with this is, usually theres a reason you block. Like a pack of balverines for instance, by far the most important to block against and if one of your blocks fail it could mean the difference between life and death. Especially in a crowd. I in fact, challenge anyone who's in late game stages to fight several packs of Balverines using only melee and no potions, its not impossible, its not overly difficult but you will notice how easy making one small mistake can put you in the red. And I'm the type of gamer that took fable 2 and said 'how can I make this game harder' and played through using my starter equipment, melee only, no potions or food, no leveling up except to dodge roll/counters and no deaths. I can tell you, Balvarines got a big boost this go around, they now dodge more often and disappear more often and they no longer just try to go behind you they now jump all over the place. The sliding flourish is by far the most entertaining but ultimately the most painful as you will start to charge up a flourish and suddenly slide as you charge in a new direction, sometimes it is far away from any enemies and sometimes its into a pack of enemies starting their attack. Enjoy!

There's also one more, which is the glitched flourish where your attack will pass through the enemies doing absolutely nothing to them. Yeah, good times.

Yes, Melee has many advantages in close range combat, can hit more than two enemies (but magic accomplishes this and guns can accomplish this it just seems to take a bit of lining up the shot), it has frequent finishers including the uber ground finisher (though I would like to point out the targeting AI majorly screws up ground finishers...if you fight more than one opponent you have to perform many acrobatic feats to remain targetting the downed opponent while you attempt the ground finisher, and it requires proper placement in order to use it otherwise you swipe at thin air) and its flourishes have the ability to ground enemies, all very useful and cool. But I will say I spent my first playthrough chugging potions and my second playthrough I spent dodge rolling in the red so my hero health regen would kick in. Third playthrough, I haven't even seen the message 'you seem to be taking quite a few hits, try pressing x to block or a and a direction to dodge roll' (or something like that).

Guns have the ability to roll out of a flourish. You can go ahead and put the OP sign on that because that's pretty much all you need to know. I don't know about you guys but I'd say over powered is more than just 'does lots of damage' its also stays alive longer and guns definitely stay alive the longest. They do however have the pitfall of the hobbe dodge and possibly the balverine dodge but ultimately these are just nuisances rather than actual limitations.

Magic can probably use the aforementioned vortex/charged spell to decimate the enemies but I'm pretty sure bigger enemies are much harder for magic users than gun users and crowds over 3 or 4 will leave a few enemies unaffected by a lvl 1 vortex although...charging up a lvl 2 vortex at max level takes what, less than half a second?

-----

I've wanted to mention this improvement if it hasn't been discussed...can we be allowed to enter redecorate mode, select an item to swap and then simply push a shoulder button or a thumbstick to scroll over to the next closest changeable piece? That would be nice.

Reaction score
1. Story-line and ending. It was exceptionally better than II. Granted the last "battle" wasn't that hard...it was still more of a battle than in II. Darkness Incarnate? Um creepy as hell and made for an awesome story. (however it reminded me of "The Nothing" in Never Ending Story. lol). The decisions you have to make in the story were also just... hard sometimes. I mean come on, kill my sweet boyfriend or two innocent people? Are you serious? I found my self getting stressed out when I was trying to decide whether or not to keep my promises to my allies, too. The fact that it had me ripping my hair out, to me, meant good play on story-line.

2 .Spellweaving. I loooved this feature. It was interesting and fun to play around to see which one fits your play style better. I love Vortex/blades.

3. Jasper and the Sanctuary. It was weird getting used to the start button taking me to the Sanctuary, and I did not like it at all at first. But as the game progressed, I ended up loving it. It made it more... tangible? I think that is the best word for me to describe what I mean. lol. And Jasper? Yes please. He reminds me of my beloved grandpa, and added personality to the pause menu :)

4. "Balls" . When Walter yelled this in the cave I about died of laughter. My husband and I now yell that across the house :)

DISLIKES

1. Length. Seriously, I am a mother of 2 and also work...and I beat the game in 2 days. I was really disappointed in the length with both II and III, but III seemed sooo much shorter. I love all the side quests and the ability to play after but still... disappointing.

2. Lack of enemies/repetitive fights. By far, the MOST annoying. There was what, like 5 different creatures? Not only was it annoyingly repetitive but they were all too easy to beat (except the Balverines were a tad difficult). All I had to do was throw down my Vortex/blades and walk away.

3. Lack of options in Hero appearance. This may be the girl in me, but I like to dress up and create a character from scratch. I didn't like how little options there were...seemed like less than the previous 2.

Anyway, I'm sure there is more...but I can't think of anything else at the moment. In conclusion though,I loved the game, but hated how short it was!

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
Thats all for now.

It's not like you're forced to use magic. Not to mention I never have trouble hitting enemies and killing them quickly with my gun or my sword. It seems to me that people were expecting them to be super overpowered so that they could just run around cutting through enemies like it was nothing. God forbid you have to think about how you're going to take care of a group of enemies or a "mini-boss", eh? I know it sounds like I'm trying to be rude but I'm not, I just think people should stop expecting all the work to be done for them. What's the point in playing any game if there's no challenge involved?

A lot of people have already touched on Fable 3's short comings so I will just say "IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT"

Given the amount of bugs, lack of variety in weaponry, clothing, etc. and the numerous other shortcomings of the game, I'd say it's very broke if not completely shattered.

Lynne

Reaction score
It's not like you're forced to use magic. Not to mention I never have trouble hitting enemies and killing them quickly with my gun or my sword. It seems to me that people were expecting them to be super overpowered so that they could just run around cutting through enemies like it was nothing. God forbid you have to think about how you're going to take care of a group of enemies or a "mini-boss", eh? I know it sounds like I'm trying to be rude but I'm not, I just think people should stop expecting all the work to be done for them. What's the point in playing any game if there's no challenge involved?

I didn't say magic was the only easy thing...guns were just as easy. I'm confused by your statement, Whimdrim. Most people were complaining about a lack of challenge, not that there was too much challenge. And to clear something up, I was forced to use magic through the catacombs in the beginning.

Cain30k

Rock'n loud n hard 4ever!
Reaction score
Like - Spellweaving, finishers, sanctuary as a menu, voice acting, and I guess difficulty.

Dislike - Bugs!, no time stop spell :'( , having to trade just to get a weapon i can use (nice idea on paper but...) , not able to choose what emote to do, and no augments.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
I didn't say magic was the only easy thing...guns were just as easy. I'm confused by your statement, Whimdrim. Most people were complaining about a lack of challenge, not that there was too much challenge. And to clear something up, I was forced to use magic through the catacombs in the beginning.

I'm talking about how people complain about melee and guns being underpowered while magic is overpowered. Oh big whoop, you had to use magic a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.