• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Middle School...

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Re: Middle School...

TRA Rotid, do you get many choices of language at your school? We only had the standard German, French or Spanish

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Angel;130826 said:
TRA Rotid, do you get many choices of language at your school? We only had the standard German, French or Spanish
We don`t get to choose, we have 3 foreign languages: English from 3th grade, Russian from 6th grade and German from 10th grade. Thpugh some have German from 6th and Russian from 10th grade.
I have English 7 times a week (because my school is, how to say this... well, we basically learn more English than normal schools).
I`m not sure if I could take anything extra, but I think not.

N

ninjasouth

ya, we got german, french, spanish, and japanese

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

they are trying to introduce different choices here now - for the life of me I don't understand why they are bothering with Mandarin as Urdu, Polish and Romanian would be better choices. I still say French is an important language to learn too but I never enjoyed it enough to stick at it and dropped it as soon as I could to learn more Spanish.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Same here, I don`t like French much, but Spanish is very cool.
Would like to listen to soap operas and understand what they`re saying.
I hope, well it wouldn`t affect me since schools over for me soon, that they bring choices here too. It would be nice to choose classes at some grades since at the age of 18 many people already know what they want from their lives.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Wish I knew what I wanted from life when I was 18! I had no idea...but then I wasn't exactly in the best of places at the time and education was out of the question. I kinda went through school doing incredibly well but not having a clue as to what I would do once I left - was kinda hoping ideas would just present themselves to me at the crucial time but they never did...I'll figure it out one day, I guess.

I still think they should bring back schooling like it used to be - people learnt skills that would serve them well in life if they didn't get to go to university. You could learn a trade, improve manual skills and be taught how to keep house. Now I know to many that will sound incredibly sexist but so many people nowadays head off to uni or the big wide world with not even the most basic cookery and sewing skills. Or even how to rewire a plug, fix a leaking tap or install basic plumbing. And if you end up with a family, you can't exist on takeaways and microwave meals...I'm lucky my mum is an excellent cook and showed me enough stuff to keep me going otherwise Jessica would have thought McDonalds was our dining room :lol:

Thing is, not everyone is suited to academia. Doesn't mean they aren't clever, it just means that isn't where their talents and skills lie. Why push everyone to take exams when not everyone can cope with them? It seems wholly unfair that many people put too much emphasis on good grades when even if you get a degree you can still wind up unemployed because you can't find a job specific to your qualifications.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Well, maybe I was exaggerating with 18, but at least I know I don`t want Physics (do you call it that). I have some I idea what I like and don`t so a little choice would be cool.
And I agree, they don`t teach practical skills very much.
Also, some things we learn are just pointless, they have no practical use.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Agreed - sometimes I think you have to learn stuff so you can bore the crap out of other pseudo-intellectuals at equally dull parties...I can honestly say that Pythagorus' Theorem has served me no use whatsoever since leaving school :lol:

H

HodgePodge

Well, if you live in Texas, you pretty much learn Spanish by just going to school with so many spanish speaking people, though I still took Spanish in middle and high school. Now, I take Latin :wacko:

H

Hexadecimal

Only foreign language we studied at my school was Spanish, though I think at some schools they had German instead... but they aren't cumpulsory... only ones you have to take are English and French

H

HodgePodge

We just needed 2 years of foreign languages to graduate, though most universities wanted 3 :p We also got to choose, so if we wanted, we could take Spanish the last two years of High School and still graduate :p

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Angel;130845 said:
Agreed - sometimes I think you have to learn stuff so you can bore the crap out of other pseudo-intellectuals at equally dull parties...I can honestly say that Pythagorus' Theorem has served me no use whatsoever since leaving school :lol:
And Pythagorus' Theorem isn`t the worst, sin, cos, tan etc. crap is much more unnessecary - theres a whole bunch of formulas and... they`re just pointless, most of them are.
I enjoy Chemistry though, my dream is to blow something up by mixing various chemicals together :lol:, we usually have lots of fun when the teacher brings us the chemistry kits.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Blowing stuff up is awesome - I just sat making poodles out of those atom ball thingies the rest of the time. We had one teacher who liked exploding his daughter's Barbie dolls in the fume cupboard - dunno whether she thought it was much fun though...

Different subjects appeal to different people - I loved music, drama and English but hated maths, science and anything involving an unheated outdoor swimming pool and communal dressing rooms. Religious Studies was good because I found it easy but at college we had to do some nonsense called General Studies which was piloted in my A Level year and consisted of essay questions like "If you could invent a machine what would it be and what would it do?". A load of crap, really.

Government here has really screwed with the education system. It's all about league tables and percentages now, not whether the students can actually cope with the workload and achieve anything worth their while. And now, to cap it all off, they are actually paying kids to stay in school. If it were up to me, those who skipped school for no good reason ought to be disallowed to apply for any kind of welfare and forced to get a job - it's disgusting to think that kids are being rewarded for not being lazy...

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Religious Studies - kind of controversial if people don`t know whats it for. They want to but it in our system, but most of the students think it`s meant for converting us into christians. And theres been some cases where teachers basically force their religion on students.
I personally like history and to learn different religions (as far as theres not too much Christianity). But still I don`t want it because it would add another lesson to our enough long learning hours.

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

I just can't wait till I start taking classes that make video games! I wanna make the best fighting/fantasy game EVER! I was thinking of making a game were you have EVERY single person from a video game, and putting them all together to make a fighting game. Almost like Super Mash Brothers. Only it's EVERYONE! Muhahahahahaha

H

Hexadecimal

I have to go back to school on Tuesday :'(
... I'm rather nervous... a campus of 50,000 people has me a bit wary... I'm certain I'll get lost at least a half dozen times :lol:

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;130899 said:
I have to go back to school on Tuesday :'(
... I'm rather nervous... a campus of 50,000 people has me a bit wary... I'm certain I'll get lost at least a half dozen times :lol:

I get nervous... in the morning. Just eat a white bread and a coke it gets rid of it.

HodgePodge;130847 said:
Well, if you live in Texas, you pretty much learn Spanish by just going to school with so many spanish speaking people, though I still took Spanish in middle and high school. Now, I take Latin :wacko:

Right. I didn't know anything, now I know a lot.

H

Hexadecimal

Triz;130956 said:
I get nervous... in the morning. Just eat a white bread and a coke it gets rid of it.

that's not going to help me find my way through 50,000 people and over 90 buildings :lol:

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;130966 said:
that's not going to help me find my way through 50,000 people and over 90 buildings :lol:

Do you have a map? Cause, I have to got to a old high school, and it's HUGE. I make it on class on time... I got a map of the school and my classes and just line them up. Help me...

H

Hexadecimal

Triz;130967 said:
Do you have a map? Cause, I have to got to a old high school, and it's HUGE. I make it on class on time... I got a map of the school and my classes and just line them up. Help me...

the maps are only of the buildings, not of what's inside, so you're on your own finding your classes...
I also cannot read maps very well, I have difficulties understanding them, always have...
and finding a room in one building is a lot easier than what I'll be doing... I don't even know where the buildings are :lol:
and unless your school has 50,000 students, it's not "HUGE" to me :lol: