• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Reaver - Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruu

Reaction score
Reaver does what gets results. No-one can deny that his arguments against the 'good' choices could be pretty compelling at times, even if you knew they were also incredibly wrong. :lol: What I'm saying is this, Reaver doesn't do those things to be evil. He does them because it benefits him. All of the above? Benefits him in some shape or form.

And psh, I think he's pretty, but that doesn't excuse him for being a total wanker.

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
So you're saying that because his motivations were not based upon evil for evil's sake, he's not truly evil? That's ridiculous! He did evil things! LOTS of terrible, evil things! Who cares why he did them? HE STILL DID THEM!

Aruu

Reaction score
I'm saying I wouldn't use the exact term evil to describe him, because in my mind, it doesn't quite fit him. It's like joslen1 said, it's a case of everyone having their own definitions of evil. It's just definition, nothing else. Where on this thread am I calling him a good guy, a total sweetheart, a misunderstood soul? No-where. I'm just saying that's not my word of choice to describe him.

Reaver for me is a morally bankrupt wanker with a very twisted, but incredibly intelligent, mind.

Mastperf

Reaction score
Reaver for me is a morally bankrupt wanker with a very twisted, but incredibly intelligent, mind.
Hitler was a genius and probably a pretty likable guy as well.

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
Alright. Perhaps I was overly passionate in my zeal to drag Reaver out into the revealing light of justice. I sincerely apologize for my misplaced enthusiasm. I respect your opinion. You are entitled to it and have every right to ignore me or anyone who tries to sway you away from it. Having said that, I want to say that I think that your statement about personal definitions of evil is utter and complete bunk. If a man works children to death and doesn't care, that man is evil. There's no wiggle room. There's no subtle personal interpretation to be made. How can there be?? I'm shocked and appalled that such malicious behavior can go unrecognized.

Don't get me wrong. I like Reaver as a villain. He's entertaining. He steals every scene he's in and it's hard not to see how much he brings to the Fable world. I'm just saying, the man is evil, and to deny it is to make the active decision to be BLIND and DEAF to everything that Reaver is.

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score
I'm saying I wouldn't use the exact term evil to describe him, because in my mind, it doesn't quite fit him. It's like joslen1 said, it's a case of everyone having their own definitions of evil. It's just definition, nothing else. Where on this thread am I calling him a good guy, a total sweetheart, a misunderstood soul? No-where. I'm just saying that's not my word of choice to describe him.

in the last video diary. stephen fry describes his as amoral (having no sense of morals at all)

handsdown65

A Smart Fella
Reaction score
Stephen Fry said that? ****.. Must be true then..

Aruu

Reaction score
Okay, okay, he's evil :lol:

I just don't think you're getting what I'm saying. Of all the pronouns to use, I wouldn't use evil personally. He does horrific, really nasty, cruel things, okay, we'll say evil things, but that exact word, that exact choice isn't what I would personally use.

I'm a writer, I'm probably more fussy about this than most. Hurting children? Is evil, oh yes. All that he does? Is really morally twisted. If I were writing a description of Reaver? I personally wouldn't use evil in favour of other words that are along those same lines.

Edit: Also, I did call Reaver amoral a few posts back. So me and Stephen Fry have at least one thing in common. Apart from, you know, the witty intelligence, incredible acting skills, the fact all he touches seems to turn to comedy gold.

Mastperf

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with him being evil in a game that gives the player the same freedom to chose his/her morality (or lack of).

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score
Okay, okay, he's evil :lol:

I just don't think you're getting what I'm saying. Of all the pronouns to use, I wouldn't use evil personally. He does horrific, really nasty, cruel things, okay, we'll say evil things, but that exact word, that exact choice isn't what I would personally use.

I'm a writer, I'm probably more fussy about this than most. Hurting children? Is evil, oh yes. All that he does? Is really morally twisted. If I were writing a description of Reaver? I personally wouldn't use evil in favour of other words that are along those same lines.

Edit: Also, I did call Reaver amoral a few posts back. So me and Stephen Fry have at least one thing in common. Apart from, you know, the witty intelligence, incredible acting skills, the fact all he touches seems to turn to comedy gold.
stephen doesnt say he is evil, i think he says something like:
"i dont think he is so much immoral as amoral, as he has no sense of morality at all"
so reaver doesn't even know the concept of being good or bad, he is just spoilt.

although he did seem to be quite mixed in-between f1 and 2, reading the notes he left in his old mansion were sad.

Aruu

Reaction score
stephen doesnt say he is evil, i think he says something like:
"i dont think he is so much immoral as amoral, as he has no sense of morality at all"
so reaver doesn't even know the concept of being good or bad, he is just spoilt.

although he did seem to be quite mixed in-between f1 and 2, reading the notes he left in his old mansion were sad.

Reaver is pretty much a huge spoilt brat, especially the way he gets all miffed if you don't chose his option, but y'know, agrees with it in the end because you're King/Queen, and you get the last say.

Yeah, Reaver's diary was a little sad in places. I don't know if that even begins to redeem him, but being alive that long has to do something to someone. There's a quote from an anime 'you can't trust something that's been alive that long'.

handsdown65

A Smart Fella
Reaction score
Hedonistic?
But would you call that evil?
Maybe at his level, since his pleasures are exploiting the people.

Kahindes

Reaction score
I, and pardon me for my rudeness, find that both of these posts are incredibly ignorant. If someone murdered someone you loved, would you just say that it's him being him and that he's cool for it? I highly doubt you would. So the same applies to Reaver, he's a murderer who forces CHILDREN into labor only because they're cheap and in great numbers. I mean, the guy is literally one step away from being a virtual Hitler and here you are giggling and loving on him for being himself. That's... well, there's no proper word for that, that you won't find insulting so I'll refrain from saying so.

If someone was like Reaver in real life, I'd probably assassinate him myself. I'd hate him, I'd fear him, I'd feel angry just knowing that he's alive. However we have to keep in mind that this is a video game and, while real life morals and integrity are important in a video game, that no matter how bad Reaver is....he's a video game character. He's suppose to either to make people like him or hate him. He was pratically designed for that purpose. I don't really think that anyone is trying to argue that someone is cool if they do the things he does in real life. The fact that they get a well known and well likable man to do the voice of a horrible, sadistic and horribly cruel man makes his character all the more interesting. Not to mention brings out confliting attitude towards him, as you can see from how this thread turned out.

My point just being that I wouldn't think someone was cool in real life for these things. He's just a video game character.

Aruu

Reaction score
His pleasures also include chickens and apparently a rabbit. Reaver's a strange one.

Is there any guesstimate at his real age? Was it ever said when Oakvale was destroyed the second time?

Edit: Also, totally agreed with the above. If I knew someone like Reaver in real life, I'd be the one forming a resistance against him. It's all well and good in fiction, but when it comes to real life, that's something drastically different.

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score
in fable 2 he didnt seems so much evil, as selfish.
but in fable 3, it was logan who hired reaver to be in charge of the industry.
from what ive seen. he's only done as the king says. but he has his own way of doing it.
when making the judgements as king. he doesn't seem that evil, he is only either there to oppose an promise, or give advice to earn money.

$am

Reaction score
what is it with all you reaver haters. I PURE LOVE HIM.

$am

Reaction score
Seriously? Killing artists because he is dissatisfied with their work, stealing the youths of countless people to maintain his, destroying Oakvale, selling out the hero to Lucien, having people slaughtered in his private arena for sport, enslaving children... What more does he need to do to qualify as evil?

reaver rules.

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
in fable 2 he didnt seems so much evil, as selfish.
but in fable 3, it was logan who hired reaver to be in charge of the industry.
from what ive seen. he's only done as the king says. but he has his own way of doing it.
when making the judgements as king. he doesn't seem that evil, he is only either there to oppose an promise, or give advice to earn money.
Not evil? He shot one of his workers in the legs and let him writhe there in agony for the duration of his speech before finishing him off. He tried to feed YOU and Page to Hobbes, Hollowmen, and Balverines! HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD?? How can you NOT KNOW that Reaver is evil? It astounds me.

Status
Not open for further replies.