• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Fable II Online Trading Post

PhilistineEars

yep, definite Lurker
Premium
Reaction score
A Fable II Online Trading Post

Hey All,

This idea only works if you can actually trade items in coop. But, if you could, I think it would be a great idea to establish a "forum market" something akin to an Ebay or Craigslist.

People that may be looking for an item that they need right away can sell it to another person or trade for another item. Granted this negates the entire economic system that was created for Fable II but 'tis just a thought. The only coop-type economy that I know of is the paid henchmen, so gold/experience/renown for services rendered.

I don't know if trading actual items from your inventory is possible. Perhaps you can discard items and have someone pick them up off the ground... who knows.

Just a thought.

-PhilE

J

jaconcox

Re: A Fable II Online Trading Post

well one of the achievments
has to do with giving another person a gift over xbox live so im guessing that you can send items over live or co-op

Soldier By Name

Expert door-kicker-downer
Reaction score

Actually that is a great idea, depending on the supply/demand.

PhilistineEars

yep, definite Lurker
Premium
Reaction score

Thanks for the info jaconcox. The implication seems to be there, so this could work possibly. I just thought it would be an added dimension to the forum if there was a bartering sub-forum.

"Ye Olde Pawn Shoppe" If it just so happens that you've come across an item while erm... wandering through someone's house, you could fence it online if you couldn't get rid of it in the game. :ninja:

-PhilE

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Interesting, I like the ideas.

R

Rolandk73

Dropping wouldn't work. People would just take the cash and leave before dropping the item.

PhilistineEars

yep, definite Lurker
Premium
Reaction score

Rolandk73;207961 said:
Dropping wouldn't work. People would just take the cash and leave before dropping the item.

You bring up a good point... I don't know if there's truly a way to guarantee a person's cooperation with the trade. It would really have to be set on the honor system, which unfortunately isn't always the most effective way.

Hahaha... I can just see it now...

A shady deal going down at the Bowerstone Docks in the middle of the night:

:ninja:Hero #1: "Hey, you got the shinnies?"

:shifty:Hero #2: "Yeah I got the gold, you got the stuff?"

:ninja:Hero #1"Off course I got the swag, but I want to see the shinnies."

:shifty:Hero #2: "You'll see the gold when I see the stuff..."

haha Scarface all over again...

But I digress. Since this is all merely speculation at this point, you could somehow manage it in the forum through a sort of Street Cred Rating. In the end though you'd have to choose trading partners wisely... Honor vs. No Honor among thieves, hard to know whose going to follow what philosophy.

-PhilE

hobbes_pwn

Man's Best Friend...Hobbe
Reaction score

would it be at a certain time or something

PhilistineEars

yep, definite Lurker
Premium
Reaction score

hobbes_pwn;208001 said:
would it be at a certain time or something
No, it wouldn't have to be a particular time. I was just narrating the stereotypical underworld deals that seem to always occur late at night down on the docks. This system wouldn't have to be utilized only by the ne'erdowells. Just arrange a meeting whenever to have both parties online at the same time and complete the transaction.

The basic mechanics would be to have people post things that they are looking for and then set up a meeting within someone's game to make the trade/deal.

-PhilE

J

Jiin

without a doubt the xbox.com fable2 forums will be overloading with trading posts and will be most popular, but they do a whole lot of flaming and arguing on those forums, so it would be good to have a closed trade forum for members of this site

R

Rubnwonout

So are items going to be random say like diablo, thats the only way I see this working in anyway.

N

Nordberg

PhilistineEars;207969 said:
You bring up a good point... I don't know if there's truly a way to guarantee a person's cooperation with the trade. It would really have to be set on the honor system, which unfortunately isn't always the most effective way.

Hahaha... I can just see it now...

A shady deal going down at the Bowerstone Docks in the middle of the night:

:ninja:Hero #1: "Hey, you got the shinnies?"

:shifty:Hero #2: "Yeah I got the gold, you got the stuff?"

:ninja:Hero #1"Off course I got the swag, but I want to see the shinnies."

:shifty:Hero #2: "You'll see the gold when I see the stuff..."

haha Scarface all over again...

But I digress. Since this is all merely speculation at this point, you could somehow manage it in the forum through a sort of Street Cred Rating. In the end though you'd have to chose trading partners wisely... Honor vs. No Honor among thieves, hard to know whose going to follow what philosophy.

-PhilE

I love this idea...brings up a new aspect to the game.

There are a couple of ways around this though.

1. Once both/all of the traders are in the same world, they stand on one end of the street say 100 feet away. Drop the items and/or gold invovled. If the amount of gold dropped isn't the correct amount, then the item sold would be picked up by the original owner. Once the amount of gold is correct the item is dropped and the people make there ways to the items traded.

2. If there is some shady people trading, they would get their names smeared all over the forums. Soon people would completely avoid those people.

Just my thoughts on this subject.

J

Jiin

lol, thas great. but like in fable 1, theres random drops and items from quests

Soldier By Name

Expert door-kicker-downer
Reaction score

It's possible there's something like a lock box that you can "drop" stuff in for your friends or whoever, and they have to deposit the correct amount of money or certain named item to recieve whatever you left. I mean, Peter didn't tell us everything in the game.

Twilight

Reaction score

Rolandk73;207961 said:

Just Disconnect.

moonfever

Premium
Reaction score

Cool idea.:cool: Wish we can do that. Like a mage might not need certain things, and it would be cool to trade for something we can use.:)
+rep4U

Twilight

Reaction score

Rolandk73;208258 said:
That could prove quite annoying.

Better than being Robbed

PhilistineEars

yep, definite Lurker
Premium
Reaction score

If people were serious about this, I think one way to solve this dilemma of fair participation would be to set up a "Regulating Intermediary" (RI) on the forum. Essentially it would have to be an ABC Transaction Model where the interested Buyer/Seller (A) would communicate to the Seller/Buyer (C) over the forum. The two parties would then go through the Regulating Intermediary (B) on the forum to buy and sell their wares.

These "RIs" would be people with high credibility within the forum community that would set up a trading character within Fable II to transfer items from Player (A) to Player (C). Once the terms were agreed upon and delivered to the RI, they would set up a meeting time to give the goods to each of the trading parties. Also, to make it worth while for the intermediary, a small transaction fee would be established.

This system would ensure fair and proper trading among the forum users. Of course, depending upon the number of trades, this process may get bogged down if the logistics were not thought through. So, if this idea were to get off the ground, a good discussion over the exact mechanics/logistics would need to be hashed out before any trading infrastructure was built (Trading Sub-forum, etc.)

Assuming there will be a demand for such activities (which I think there will be) I really believe this could work if we thought about it a bit more. What's more, the demand for a stable trading market with regulated and reputable trading partners would be that much greater...^_^

Edit: "Plus gamers will still be able to see their friends online as "orbs" as they are moving through the world, as well as chat and trade items with them plus play with friends in local co-op." Source

I just want to throw this in here to confirm that trading will be possible in Fable II over LIVE.

-PhilE

W

Wolfie

Sound like a great idea! As long as the majority of people were honest I could see this being a great thing (if it is possible that is). PhilistineEars' idea soundly like it would probably work quite well.