• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ask The Staff 'Anything'

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score
vBulletin just doesn't really have a future, to be honest. XenForo is the spiritual successor to vBulletin and, when the "gold" version is released, will be much more stable.

Two Questions:
How come you didn't wait until the "Gold" Version was released before converting?

How come there was no advanced warning stating a specific date for when you dropped the bomb?

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
Two Questions:
How come you didn't wait until the "Gold" Version was released before converting?

How come there was no advanced warning stating a specific date for when you dropped the bomb?
Good questions.

1. Because vBulletin is a massive resource hog and the massive influx and cavalcade of visitors that will find their way here when Fable 3 is released will *possibly* kill the server. When Fable 2 came out, this site and every site in the network was down for 10 hours. I lost a lot of money because of that. It is unlikely, that even if we'd stuck with vBulletin it would happen again when Fable 3 is released as I'm currently paying what I consider to be a small fortune per month for the even-more-fancy dedicated server, but I didn't fancy taking the risk.

2. I was very much intending for it to a "Hi... we're going to install the new forum software in 7, 14 or however many days!", but the simple fact is that vBulletin is the cause for those brief occurrence of downtime. There are bugs with the software that have present for numerous releases and, if you had access to the licensed customer forums on vbulletin.com, you would see a slurry of unhappy customers and empty promises from the company behind vbulletin.

There may be a few bugs here and there at the moment, but they will be fixed. I love the new software; so much so that I bought five licenses.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
I realize that new stuff is new, but just because something is unfamiliar and hard to get around doesn't mean it's actually worse."
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Daemon300

Premium
Reaction score
@all staff.

Why did Steve double post? :O

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Staff, why do I find it so irritating that everyone sees the new look and instantly starts bitching about it?

I realize that new stuff is new, but just because something is unfamiliar and hard to get around doesn't mean it's actually worse.

Yeah we dont like upsetting people with change and they might call this place home but its not only our home these forums are our creations and our babies if you will. We are trying out best to make everyone happy and do what is in the best interests of the forum and the community. People will have to just be patient and when we have fixed everything, got everything running as it should and trimmed off the unneeded crap it will be a rather smooth and sleek forum.

Took me a while to figure out you could click reply on multiple comments to multi-quote but hey im learning too.

@all staff.

Why did Steve double post? :O

Hes getting used to the software just like the rest of us.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
@ Drakan, i know you enjoy causing change so you can laugh at everyones unhappiness (tl;dr doing it for the lulz)
but do you really think this was enough? i think there are plenty of more inflammatory things you could have done. moving to a 2001 invisionfree board, for example.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Why have I been so lazy the past few days? I feel so... Unmotivated.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
@ Drakan, i know you enjoy causing change so you can laugh at everyones unhappiness (tl;dr doing it for the lulz)
but do you really think this was enough? i think there are plenty of more inflammatory things you could have done. moving to a 2001 invisionfree board, for example.

We could have done more to unnerve you but thought this was enough for now.

Why have I been so lazy the past few days? I feel so... Unmotivated.

Its the end of the week and we all feel that way.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
We could have done more to unnerve you but thought this was enough for now.
while your mercy is appreciated, your lake of sadism is extremely offensive.
i expected more from the prince of the saiyans doomed outlaw of the staff. =P

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
while your mercy is appreciated, your lake of sadism is extremely offensive.
i expected more from the prince of the saiyans doomed outlaw of the staff. =P

Oh believe me when the times right you would see it in full force.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
To all Staff.
You put a cat in a box and leave it in a room for weeks without looking in the box or feeding it. according to scientific theory, by not observing the cat is both dead and alive at the same time. this was referenced in an awesome movie (i think it was either Pi or Memento... not sure which). agree, disagree, or just glad you don't have to feed it anymore?

Izzy Stizzlebonk

ฉันรักคุกกี้.
Reaction score
Dear Staff,

This place looks so much different from when I last left it. When was the software changed/upgraded?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Dear Staff,

This place looks so much different from when I last left it. When was the software changed/upgraded?

A couple of days ago, improvements are ongoing and this is a Beta of the software so expect some glitches and features that dont work yet.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
Dear Staff:

I am tumbling through the air at over 100mph having accidently fallen out of a plane I would be grateful if you could push a trampoline materess or other soft object under me to break me fall cheers thanks bye.

Izzy Stizzlebonk

ฉันรักคุกกี้.
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, improvements are ongoing and this is a Beta of the software so expect some glitches and features that dont work yet.

I really like it. Can't find a suitable adjective, but the new look is... err... pretty.