• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Best Current Gen RPG?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Neverwinter Nights 2 was a technical nightmare. There might've been a good game beneath all the technical issues, but very few people actually got anywhere in that game to find out.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Neverwinter Nights and WoW have been added, but you may have noticed I left Everquest II.
No bias here! I just had to check the dates on those games as some of them are a little dated and EQII was released about a year before any current-gen consoles.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score
Just gonna say: Fallout 3>Fallout New Vegas. The desert was boring and dull. And the story in NV sucked. "lololol REVEEEEENNGGE". And then a ****ty battle for a dam. Fallout 3 had more impact for me. Also, the whole "water for everyone" is a lot cooler than "REEEEEVVEEEEENNNNGE".

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
should i count that as a nomination? =]

No judgement on you for playing Nexon games from me.... I'm a relapsing Maplestory addict (currently using)
Yes pwease. I also wouldn't count WoW as this generation.

Cain

Reaction score
Just gonna say: Fallout 3>Fallout New Vegas. The desert was boring and dull. And the story in NV sucked. "lololol REVEEEEENNGGE". And then a ****ty battle for a dam. Fallout 3 had more impact for me. Also, the whole "water for everyone" is a lot cooler than "REEEEEVVEEEEENNNNGE".

Just because you find the story cool dosen't mean its better. And on the subject of fallout 3's story, why would you need project purity when common filtration tricks get rid of radiation easily. Why not distill water rather than have some stupid story where mass loads of piping and computers appear out of nowhere and even then it needs a GECK. And what about the rehashed Enclave, super mutants and Brotherhood of Steel? They were an obvious attempt to make the game more fallouty. Obsidian at least made some new Factions with NV.

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
Neverwinter Nights 2 was a technical nightmare. There might've been a good game beneath all the technical issues, but very few people actually got anywhere in that game to find out.

I agree with you. The Technical issues were horrid. Coding and building worlds was so much better on Neverwinter Nights 1, Neverwinter Nights 2 just wasn't the same; However, I do think it should be mentioned for current gen, since (as of now), it's A LOT better than when first released.

Just because you find the story cool dosen't mean its better. And on the subject of fallout 3's story, why would you need project purity when common filtration tricks get rid of radiation easily. Why not distill water rather than have some stupid story where mass loads of piping and computers appear out of nowhere and even then it needs a GECK. And what about the rehashed Enclave, super mutants and Brotherhood of Steel? They were an obvious attempt to make the game more fallouty. Obsidian at least made some new Factions with NV.

I agree with you that the story in New Vegas was definitely more traditional Fallout, rather than Fallout 3. I also agree with you on the whole story line, but personally, I had more fun playing Fallout 3 than I did Fallout New Vegas. I don't even know why, though. The only factor I could think of was that Fallout was finally an updated MMO. It made the VATS system better than I originally thought it was going to be.

After not having a great Fallout (and new gen with updated graphics) for a while, when Fallout 3 was released, it was amazing to me. I played the hell out of it, mainly because it felt so new and it made it fun. When Fallout New Vegas was released, I enjoyed how much closer to the original story line it was, I like how they made the Brotherhood of Steel a bit more traditional. I just wished they upgraded the graphics more; However, it was a good game, but I think because I played the hell out of Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas just didn't seem so... new to me and I had a less of a fun time playing it.

Cain

Reaction score
Your points are fair and I understand where your coming from. As an Individual RPG, I found Fallout 3 was enjoyable, and I played the hell out of it as well. But that didn't cover up the fact that once you've completed the game one way, you can only play 2 other ways to discover new things. This is why i said Fallout 3 was an average RPG at best. Hopefully any criticisms given to Beth will be taken in and Fallout 4 will be better.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Durp, massive production. And you got bought in by new factions?

Also: lolsubjectivedonttakesrs

SimonKalevra

Reaction score
I haven't played a whole lot of RPGs lately.
I'd say World of Warcraft though.

They have so much to choose from, like PVP - there's even something called RP (RolePlaying)
I've heard people are very serious on a RP server, like kneeling down infront of holy... stuff. and speaking in a weird way, like "come forth! let us venture to that hill over yonder!... dude!"
and of course the occasional cybersex on the Tram.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
let me just pop my head in to say that we have more nominations than possible poll options...standing by to hear back from staff on this one.....

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
What happened to increasing the poll option number to 30?

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
What happened to increasing the poll option number to 30?
the way i see it either the XF patch we got a few weeks back reset it, or DD Angel or Steve didn't see the point.

in any case, i couldn't possibly make the thread with only 10 slots. :'(

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Well, hopefully they'll increase it again.

Oh, I just had a thought. Would games on hand-held systems count as current gen games? If so, I'd like to nominate Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver, and Pokemon Black & White.

By the way, even though RPGs are my favorite type of game, I think it'd be cool if we did this sort of thing with other video game genres. Thoughts?

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
Well, hopefully they'll increase it again.

Oh, I just had a thought. Would games on hand-held systems count as current gen games? If so, I'd like to nominate Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver, and Pokemon Black & White.

By the way, even though RPGs are my favorite type of game, I think it'd be cool if we did this sort of thing with other video game genres. Thoughts?

Definitely a good idea. I would think, though, that the RPG genre would definitely get the most hits, 'cause RPG's tend to be more captivating and memorable. Hell, I remember the first time Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and Final Fantasy 6 (Back when it was Final Fantasy 3) were FIRST released and I bought them for $60 dollars each (I definitely mowed a lot of lawns). I remember getting them, playing them, and just being amazed. Those games will NEVER leave my memory. I could probably write a walkthrough right now for them and I haven't played the games since the 90's.

As to Action genre, sports genre, etc... those are more like, "That was fun!" or "That was cool!" but there really isn't many that have a great story. Hell, Red Dead Redemption... I don't even know what genre that falls under, but THAT is an amazing game and the storyline was one of the best I've played in years (and I'm not much of a console gamer).