• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"Fable III Isn't an RPG." - Molyneux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
Re: "Fable III Isn't an RPG." - Molyneux

I think what he's trying to say is that he doesn't want Fable to be categorised as an RPG. He wants it to be unique and for us to feel the same way. Though, It'll probably still fit in the RPG genre.

Fable 2 didn't seem like an RPG. So, the chances are, neither will this.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Sound disappointingly mainstream.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Tsuyu;362868 said:
Sound disappointingly mainstream.

How does it sound mainstream? Simplicity =/= Mainstream.

Regardless of what Peter says, Fable 3 still sounds like an RPG but with more action & adventuring. I'm glad the expression system is gone, that thing was just a joke.. and it made the character look pretty retarded with zero difficulty to it. I'm not bothered by the no health bar, but I do prefer leveling up the old-fashioned way.. but, I will adapt.

I'm just glad Peter is finally keeping his promises this time around, well... so long as he doesn't put any mountains in the game and tell us we can trek to it.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

The "screen goes/flashes red when you're hurt" is mainstream as all heck. Seems every single game uses that system now.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Tsuyu;362881 said:
The "screen goes/flashes red when you're hurt" is mainstream as all heck. Seems every single game uses that system now.

Yeah, and that makes the entire rest of the game itself mainstream... how? I hope you're not going to get all bent out of shape again over something like this. If anything, it's just an invisible health bar that regenerates with the color of the screen.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

I never called the entire game mainstream. I just commented on what was posted in this article and how it shows a sway towards mainstream.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

This doesn't really bug me. Fable will still have all of the features we know and love, and none of the new features bother me in the slightest. I'm excited about most of them.

WilliamBlack

Reaction score

im also really exited about the new system, and am looking forward to how they implement everything e says will be in it...

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Tsuyu;362891 said:
I never called the entire game mainstream. I just commented on what was posted in this article and how it shows a sway towards mainstream.

It looked like you were referring to the whole game since that's what the article is about, not just the health bar. It doesn't look like a sway towards mainstream, it looks like a sway towards simplicity. Surely you can adapt to it?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Just want Lionhead to take a step away from many of the pointless systems they had in Fable and try something new. Seems that they are going to do just this. I always hated the expressions system, it was childish, pointless and didnt serve any real purpose.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score

more like a sim now

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Gikoku Harakami;362900 said:
It looked like you were referring to the whole game since that's what the article is about, not just the health bar. It doesn't look like a sway towards mainstream, it looks like a sway towards simplicity. Surely you can adapt to it?

Adapt? Sure, don't have much choice. But I'm gonna mourn the loss of the Expressions, that for sure. I mean, how am I gonna do a pelvic thrust towards school children now?!

Shirosaki

The Hollow Within
Reaction score

Tsuyu;362941 said:
Adapt? Sure, don't have much choice. But I'm gonna mourn the loss of the Expressions, that for sure. I mean, how am I gonna do a pelvic thrust towards school children now?!
Who wants to pelvic thrust when you can "fondle"?

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;362916 said:
Just want Lionhead to take a step away from many of the pointless systems they had in Fable and try something new. Seems that they are going to do just this. I always hated the expressions system, it was childish, pointless and didnt serve any real purpose.

What's wrong with childish? To use a word that always makes me think of our boy Molyneaux, Fable 1 was charming. It wasn't hardcore anything. It was easy. It was light. It was cheerful. It was fun. No, it didn't really take itself seriously-- but did it have to?

Now they're trying to be more serious and... artsy, I guess. But hey, that's not neccesarily a bad thing either. Both types of games can be fun.

And Tsuyu? I would be more concerned about the fact that the health method is too mainstream... but health bars were mainstream, too. Sure, now more people use the flashing red screen of doom (not sure who to blame for that. Halo 2, maybe, with the shields deal and no health), but I don't think it's any more mainstream than the bars were at their height.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Hey don't you go talking bad about the health bar! It's a friggin classic, man! I'd take a good health bar with potions(or whatever) over the "hide behind a crate and miraculously regenerate lost limbs/close bullet wounds/come back from the brink of death"-system that has come to replace it.

Swanny224

Reaction score

I will buy it regardless, but I told everyone when it was announced to come out this year that it'd suck. And looky there, Molyneux himself said it'd **** people off. Oh well, still Fable.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Tsuyu;362961 said:
Hey don't you go talking bad about the health bar! It's a friggin classic, man! I'd take a good health bar with potions(or whatever) over the "hide behind a crate and miraculously regenerate lost limbs/close bullet wounds/come back from the brink of death"-system that has come to replace it.

Wasn't talking bad about it. I agree. Outside of certain circumstances (Spartans with regenerating shields, maybe magical upgraded badass ex-Spectres) it's fairly absurd (um, what? WWII soldiers miraculously healed by hiding behind things?) but I don't think that's any more absurd than a health bar (I just got hit in the chest with an ax. Ow. I lost a sixth of a health bar.)

And it's no more mainstream, which was your complaint. So the health bar is "classic" rather than currently popular. It was mainstream less than five years ago. Or maybe ten, I don't know.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Well it is a lot worse than a health bar. At least with a health bar the designers knew it was horribly mainstream and tried to come up with new innovative ways to refill it. Across all the games using health bars today there are countless ways to refill your health bar. Granted, most of them included picking up food items but damn it, at least they tried to make it tie in with the game!

Whilst the "hide for a few seconds and regenerate"-system always has, and always will, work exactly the same. You get the living hell shot/chopped outta you and somehow you just regenerate the damage. No creative thought required when implementing it. It is teh suck.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Honestly? I completely fail to care. But (no offense meant, here) I suspect that you're exaggerating the qualities of a health bar just out of nostalgia.

I mean, sure the regenerating thing ties in with Fable. You're a Hero! Descendant of William Black! Of COURSE you magically regenerate from injuries by running away from a fight!

Status
Not open for further replies.