• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Favourite Character In The Whole Of Fable

Favourite Character From Fable.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RachelDisco

Reaction score
Re: Favourite Character In The Whole Of Fable

GrimWhim;425863 said:
Now see, this is what I don't understand. None of the characters had enough screen time to develop a personality or allow us to grow attached to them. Especially Reaver because he only appeared near the end of the game.

So I wonder, why exactly is it that you like Reaver? Is it because you like doing the opposite of what others do? Or do you just like jumping on bandwagons?

Because there's really no way to justify liking him unless you actually enjoy shallow characters who lack charm of any sort.

I like Reaver cause he made me laugh.
Just something about the way he spoke and his overall personality was funny to me.
Someone doesn't have to be around the whole time for you to like them. That's just stupid.

enactment11

Chicken Rebel
Reaction score

I liked him because out of Fable 2 he was the most memorable. His voice actor was spot on and because its refreshing to see such a strange, quirky character who's on the same side as you.

As a character, I think he was extremely well crafted and fleshed out. The reason why people hate him so much is a testament to how good a character he actually is. The things he say, the actions he take, the way he speaks... it is all so uniquely Reaver. In my opinion I do find him the most memorable and influential characters. He's the guy we all love to hate (or for some, love to love). Honestly, I thought Hammer was the least original and absolutely the most boring character in Fable.

Now see, this is what I don't understand. None of the characters had enough screen time to develop a personality or allow us to grow attached to them. Especially Reaver because he only appeared near the end of the game

He didn't have as much screen time sure but we were able to find out and learn about his character in that short amount of time. He was so much an interesting character that everything he did and said was typically something you'd expect him to say at that point of time and at the same time, remains unpredictable. His personality is already developed. Thats why so many people can hate him.

Jack of Spade's

The Assassin
Reaction score

enactment and rachel are right. Hes just funny and unpridictable and its him making comments at the strangest times in a calm snotty voice, his hidden humor, his brief stories, and him being a complete prick is what we all love and hate about him

Buuut scythe is undead and has a scythe soo he got my vote

Mlaar

Reaction score

TBH I didnt find any of the listed characters a favorite fo me my favorite character besides me would be in F2..

Sam The Housewife!! we spent so much time together, whenever one of my wives moaned about my time travelling and couldnt understand the family buisness of House renovations id head to Bowerstone market and sure enough, Sam would be waiting dilligently for my return with a humorous comment to bring a smile to me we would head of to the cow and bucket to get ratted before heading to her home where she would let me rest my weapon in her hearth as we saw the night through.. On those really cold nights we would even gather a small group and head home for a night of fun as we played word games in the dark...

So my vote goes to Sam the housewife she lived for a good time and died playing spin the wheel in The Temple of shadows.. a true gamer till her dying breath

Jack of Spade's

The Assassin
Reaction score

Mlaar;425978 said:
TBH I didnt find any of the listed characters a favorite fo me my favorite character besides me would be in F2..

Sam The Housewife!! we spent so much time together, whenever one of my wives moaned about my time travelling and couldnt understand the family buisness of House renovations id head to Bowerstone market and sure enough, Sam would be waiting dilligently for my return with a humorous comment to bring a smile to me we would head of to the cow and bucket to get ratted before heading to her home where she would let me rest my weapon in her hearth as we saw the night through.. On those really cold nights we would even gather a small group and head home for a night of fun as we played word games in the dark...

So my vote goes to Sam the housewife she lived for a good time and died playing spin the wheel in The Temple of shadows.. a true gamer till her dying breath

well did you win anything good
and whynot have the nagging wife play 'spin the wheel' in the temple of shadows

Mlaar

Reaction score

Jack of Spade's;425980 said:
and whynot have the nagging wife play 'spin the wheel' in the temple of shadows

She played at midnight a day later but ended up stoned and never came home :D

GrimWhim

Reaction score

Prince Louis;425910 said:
Thats just you're opinion. You're not always right you know. You can't tell people who they can like and who they can't.

I like Reaver. I like his personality and his character. Just accept that k? :]

No one can come up with a real reason as to why they like Reaver and then justify it without saying the same thing everyone else is saying.

Reaver only had a few lines and appeared near the end and that was it. He had nothing that I personally have not seen done a million times before, personality-wise.

And he used a gun! Whoop-de-doo! That does not qualify him as a memorable character.

enactment11;425947 said:
He didn't have as much screen time sure but we were able to find out and learn about his character in that short amount of time. He was so much an interesting character that everything he did and said was typically something you'd expect him to say at that point of time and at the same time, remains unpredictable. His personality is already developed. Thats why so many people can hate him.

We found out that he's a prick who likes to sleep around and destroyed Oakvale. Tell me, how is any of that interesting? There have been so many characters in movies, T.V. shows and video games that do what Reaver does but ten times better. He was not unpredictable at all, he was quite the opposite.

He acted arrogant and above us all the while being selfish. From the moment I took his first quest I knew he was going to screw me over and I wasn't surprised either to learn that he tried to sell us out to Lucien.

RachelDisco;425933 said:
I like Reaver cause he made me laugh.
Just something about the way he spoke and his overall personality was funny to me.
Someone doesn't have to be around the whole time for you to like them. That's just stupid.

You mean the personality he shares with so many characters, my own included?

No, it's not stupid but I didn't say he had to be around since the beginning of the game. However, he entered at the end of the game said a few lines and that's it. None of which I chuckled at and I laugh at the dumbest **** you can think of.

Lionhead had no time to truly develop any of these characters with the exception of Theresa and even then, she's changed so much from Fable to Fable II and that's kept her as somewhat of a mystery.

If Reaver gets a lot more screen time in Fable III THEN I could see the possibility of someone enjoying him as a character otherwise everyone here is simply jumping on the bandwagon.

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score

I chose reaver only because barnum was not up there. I like him because he uniquely arrogant and posh, with a butt kicking side. and he gives me a target practice for fable 3.

GrimWhim

Reaction score

James Butts;426008 said:
I chose reaver only because barnum was not up there. I like him because he uniquely arrogant and posh, with a butt kicking side. and he gives me a target practice for fable 3.

Uniquely arrogant and posh? LOL! Go to Hollywood, you'll find that he's not nearly as unique as you think him to be.

Sparrow_Lionheart

Will & Wit
Reaction score

Mine was Hero of Bowerstone, but it was only by a small margin that it beat Theresa... "Why are you staring at me?"

DeadDemon

Reaction score

Grim, please just be quiet.
I enjoyed Reaver, it was funny that he killed a man because of a mistake, I thought his attitude and personality was one of the most unique ones in the game, and while he barely had any screen time the time he did have was pretty decent.
Yes, he's an asshole that destroyed Oakvale, that has been killing people for his own life, that acts high and mighty. But there have also been three thousand characters that are as bad or worse than him, so why are you focusing on him in particular?
Also, I never really saw any actual display of arrogance, more he just did what he wanted, because he could. Now please, agree to disagree, and stop your pointless rant on how bad a character Reaver is.

My favorite is Theresa, in the first one. There was just something inredibly harming about her. I actually hope we get to see a bit of the old Theresa in Fable III.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score

Where is Barnum?

I'm going to go ahead and give my vote to Reaver 'cause Stephen Fry is awesome.

Terra_Zeta

Reaction score

Personally i find reaver to be quite annoying and not all that interesting...plus he destroyed Oakvale! That is totally unforgivable!

My Vote went to Theresa, only because i couldn't vote for 2 people, the other would have been Lady gray. ;D

GrimWhim

Reaction score

DeadDemon;426123 said:
Grim, please just be quiet.
I enjoyed Reaver, it was funny that he killed a man because of a mistake, I thought his attitude and personality was one of the most unique ones in the game, and while he barely had any screen time the time he did have was pretty decent.
Yes, he's an asshole that destroyed Oakvale, that has been killing people for his own life, that acts high and mighty. But there have also been three thousand characters that are as bad or worse than him, so why are you focusing on him in particular?
Also, I never really saw any actual display of arrogance, more he just did what he wanted, because he could. Now please, agree to disagree, and stop your pointless rant on how bad a character Reaver is.

I'm not going to "agree to disagree" and just because you believe it to be pointless does not make it so.

Oh yeah, it was completely unique. Well... except for all the nobles who acted just like he did and the fact that he was as selfish as Lucien.

I'm sorry, where were these three thousand other characters as bad or worse than him in the game? Only reason I focus on him is because everyone paints him as the most wonderful/interesting character ever will providing me with the same bull**** reason that basically boils him down to an asshole with a gun. I'm not surprised people like a character like that but good lord, he's not THAT special.

"proudly contemptuous: feeling or showing self-importance and contempt or disregard for others"

You didn't see any arrogance? Okay, either you're blind or you just didn't play Fable II. I'm guessing it's a little of both.

DeadDemon

Reaction score

Listen. He's an asshole, he is a character archetype that has been done probably a million other times, there are plenty of traits that hold him close to other characters, there are plenty of people that state they like him because he's an asshole with a gun, and just because you think his style is arrogant doesn't mean I do.

My veiw of arrogance is feeling that you are simply better than everyone else, and therefore everyone is beneath you; in my veiw, he seemed to simply think of himself as more able, simply taking the paths he wanted to take when he could.

Now, exactly why is it bad for people to think that out of a game filled with characters that are not fleshed out, that are barely known, that are barely judged, to like one particular unfleshed charater because he's an asshole?

It was unique. Luien started out doing the whole thing because he wanted his family back, but he was corrupted, and all those nobles were just snobbish jackasses, while Reaver is a man that has destroyed an entire town for his own youth, steals the money from a city for his own furnishings, and raids peoples' ships for money.

The main haracter can be as bad as Reaver, that asshole Arfur is as bad as Reaver, just not as many chances, that bandit Thag(?) is as bad as Reaver.

Now, please just drop it, because all you're doing is arguing that "Reaver is an evil asshole with no developement" to everyone. What you're doing is pointless: these people are not going to change their minds about Reaver beause of the way you're approaching this: you're flat out stating reaver is an asshole with no character, and therefore people shouldn't like him so much. Do you really think that someone is actually going to change their mind about their favorite character simply because of that?

Finally, I'm not blind, and I have played Fable II. It's not a matter of arrogane, it's how he went about doing things; I do not remember a single time when he explicity stated that he was actually more important than other people, without some kind of factor to counteract it easily.

Now, please, just accept that you've already dug yourself into a hole and give up. I agree with you: I do not think of reaver as a great character, and I don't know why so many people like him so muh, but I'm still arguing with you about it.

GrimWhim

Reaction score

DeadDemon;426174 said:
Listen. He's an asshole, he is a character archetype that has been done probably a million other times, there are plenty of traits that hold him close to other characters, there are plenty of people that state they like him because he's an asshole with a gun, and just because you think his style is arrogant doesn't mean I do.

My veiw of arrogance is feeling that you are simply better than everyone else, and therefore everyone is beneath you; in my veiw, he seemed to simply think of himself as more able, simply taking the paths he wanted to take when he could.

Now, exactly why is it bad for people to think that out of a game filled with characters that are not fleshed out, that are barely known, that are barely judged, to like one particular unfleshed charater because he's an asshole?

It was unique. Luien started out doing the whole thing because he wanted his family back, but he was corrupted, and all those nobles were just snobbish jackasses, while Reaver is a man that has destroyed an entire town for his own youth, steals the money from a city for his own furnishings, and raids peoples' ships for money.

The main haracter can be as bad as Reaver, that asshole Arfur is as bad as Reaver, just not as many chances, that bandit Thag(?) is as bad as Reaver.

Now, please just drop it, because all you're doing is arguing that "Reaver is an evil asshole with no developement" to everyone. What you're doing is pointless: these people are not going to change their minds about Reaver beause of the way you're approaching this: you're flat out stating reaver is an asshole with no character, and therefore people shouldn't like him so much. Do you really think that someone is actually going to change their mind about their favorite character simply because of that?

Finally, I'm not blind, and I have played Fable II. It's not a matter of arrogane, it's how he went about doing things; I do not remember a single time when he explicity stated that he was actually more important than other people, without some kind of factor to counteract it easily.

Now, please, just accept that you've already dug yourself into a hole and give up. I agree with you: I do not think of reaver as a great character, and I don't know why so many people like him so muh, but I'm still arguing with you about it.

First of all, learn to spell because you're an embarrassment to yourself.

Secondly, I stated more than him being an asshole but that people only like him BECAUSE he's an asshole (with a gun). After all, there have been plenty of video game characters just like him each of which are very popular.

Third, no matter how ignorant your views are, this does change the fact that he IS indeed arrogant. One does not have to explicitly state that they are so in order to be so.

I'm not going to give up and I honestly don't care if you find anything I do pointless because I'm not doing it for you or anyone else. I do it for myself and until I deem it pointless, I shall continue.

Even if people don't change their minds I will insist on making valid points against their rabid fanaticism of a terribly cliched character especially when they can't provide any real reason that hasn't already been stated by the dozens of others who like that character.

Jumping on a bandwagon for any reason is revolting and me being the opinionated person that I am will gladly voice my disdain for such people.

Do not think you can waltz in here and try to change that because that, my friend, is what is truly pointless.

DeadDemon

Reaction score

Fine, screw it. As you said yourself, you're not going to change your opinion. Fine. All I was trying to do was make you stop talking because what you wrote seemed offensive to me, and I don't like it when people are offensive. By the way, my keyboard is messed up. Don't assume that I can't spell right because of a fe(Like here: I forgot the W) missing characters or a few forgotten letters.
But one more thing: I'm not ignorant, I'm technical and extremely focused on the little bits. You get the feeling that he is arrogant, and therefore you say he is arrogant. Fine. the only reason I started arguing through this whole thing was because I wanted you to stop insulting people, directly or indirectly, so please don't start insulting me because you don't understand my veiw. It's hypocritical.
Also, please don't respond to this, because I will not answer, and I will not look within this thread again.

GrimWhim

Reaction score

DeadDemon;426185 said:
Fine, screw it. As you said yourself, you're not going to change your opinion. Fine. All I was trying to do was make you stop talking because what you wrote seemed offensive to me, and I don't like it when people are offensive. By the way, my keyboard is messed up. Don't assume that I can't spell right because of a fe(Like here: I forgot the W) missing characters or a few forgotten letters.
But one more thing: I'm not ignorant, I'm technical and extremely focused on the little bits. You get the feeling that he is arrogant, and therefore you say he is arrogant. Fine. the only reason I started arguing through this whole thing was because I wanted you to stop insulting people, directly or indirectly, so please don't start insulting me because you don't understand my veiw. It's hypocritical.
Also, please don't respond to this, because I will not answer, and I will not look within this thread again.

You forgot the 'W' but you managed to edit the part to tell me you forgot that? Uh... okay. Also, you misspelled "view" wrong, again. What could POSSIBLY be offensive to you? Are you telling me you're an extremely sensitive person who gets upset over nothing? Perhaps you should stay off the internet, I'm afraid to think of what would happen if you delved deeper into the darkness that is "the web".

It's not a feeling, it's what he is. Go ask Lionhead and they'll be more than happy to tell you that Reaver is arrogant and if you were indeed as "technical" as you claim to be, you'd see that as well.

That's funny because you seem to be going from defending Reaver to now trying to stop me from "insulting" people, whether directly or indirectly. Seems like you're just making any excuse to save face while you run off with your tail between your legs.

I hate admitting when I'm wrong but I still do it. You should try it sometime, you'd be a better person for it.

Anyways, enough is enough. I've made my point and derailed this thread somewhat so instead of getting into trouble, I'll take my leave for now.

Prince Louis

Incredibly Handsome Master of All Villainy
Reaction score

Reaver is popular. There is nothing you can say or do to change that fact Grim. Sure you can rant about your hate for him on a forum but that just makes you seem immature.

"he was a prick" Hah. And like your Hero character wasn't? If anything i'm willing to bet that your character has done worse then our dear Reaver.

But alas Reaver is a computer game character. He isn't real. He isn't going to come into your room at night and spit out some harmful quotes at you.
So just chillout

Nightwishes

Reaction score

Reaver is meant to be an annoying asshole :) but he rules at it now everyone get over it? lol

plus it's all about Theresa :D

Status
Not open for further replies.