• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

If you could choose...

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Sorry Sharon, but people believing that after I die I'll get tortured for all eternity sorta makes it hard for me to like them. No matter how much I like or love them personally, that particular aspect of their character is always there, gnawing at the back of my mind. The local priest where I live is a decent chap, but I can barely resist the urge of giving him the finger every time I see him because of what he represents.

I wish it wasn't so, but it is what it is.... because I like you. A lot. However, when my thoughts travel in that direction, I feel all sorta.... dunno. Down.
That's a real shame but I can understand why it would bug you. I'm sort of mildly surprised by the number of atheists here who still talk to me even though I'm in the God Squad.

Must be my winning personality :troll:

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Because if they didn't, they wouldn't be Christians. To be a Christian means you believe in The Bible which is rather harsh in it's treatment of unbelievers (as well as human beings in general). On a personal level there might be Christians who do not believe in it, but they represents a religion that does.

That is not what it means to be a Christian, to be a Christian means to have a faithful relationship with Jesus Christ, not to blindly follow rules and regulations and refuse to think for yourself in order to please God. It does not mean you are required to go to church all the time, and follow a list of requirements precisely or else suffer eternal hell fire. Otherwise it'd be like a company where you do things not becuase you love your boss (God), but because you don't want to get fired (in this case, literally). If that were the case, God would have never given man free will and majority of his followers would all be destined for Hell.

The Bible itself points out that certain laws of both the Old Testament & New Testament are applied for specific times, places, and situations. It's not Christian's becoming hypocrites by choice and ignoring specific parts because it turns them off. But because those things just don't apply anymore.

I could go on about this for hours and hours, but good grief I most certainly will not. The Bible is way too complicated to understand so easily and requires one to extensively study it to actually understand what's written in it. I've lost count of so many people who are on the outside looking in - of so many religions and think they then understand what's going on. When they don't.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
That's a real shame but I can understand why it would bug you. I'm sort of mildly surprised by the number of atheists here who still talk to me even though I'm in the God Squad.

I'm more of an apatheist rather than atheist, really.

Honestly though, it is only when the topic comes up for discussion our individual beliefs come into the spotlight. I don't think about it otherwise.

And no, it isn't our personality. It is the coconut. Nobody can hate on coconuts.

That is not what it means to be a Christian, to be a Christian means to have a faithful relationship with Jesus Christ, not to blindly follow rules and regulations and refuse to think for yourself in order to please God.
The Bible itself points out that certain laws of both the Old Testament & New Testament are applied for specific times, places, and situations. It's not Christian's becoming hypocrites by choice and ignoring specific parts because it turns them off. But because those things just don't apply anymore.

The problem with that is that Jesus himself said that the Old Testament is as valid and important as The New Testament, on several occasions. How can you have a personal relationship with Jesus if you pick which of his teachings you chose to adhere to and not adhere to? No matter how you spin it, it is a hypocritical way for Christians to try to rationalize their archaic religion, or excuse it as to make it still appeal to our modern world.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
The problem with that is that Jesus himself said that the Old Testament is as valid and important as The New Testament, on several occasions. How can you have a personal relationship with Jesus if you pick which of his teachings you chose to adhere to and not adhere to? No matter how you spin it, it is a hypocritical way for Christians to try to rationalize their archaic religion, or excuse it as to make it still appeal to our modern world.
Yes, It is as important as the New Testament and is still used today from law books to history books, etc etc. But not everything in the OT is applied to this age as the Bible states they were created for specific time periods and situations. For example there are parts in the OT that teach how to properly treat a slave respectfully, obviously that has no place in this age. Would you rather it all remain applicable to this day and age and for people to follow it all down to the letter? I sure don't and if it's hypocritical then whatever (who cares), better that than the alternative.

It's unfair and ignorant to assume all Christians are the same and to judge them as such, regardless of how they follow their religion or what amount of knowledge they may have of it.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score

Not that I'm an athiest (I prefer 'dismissive agnostic') but if someone chose not to speak to you because of their or your religion then that'd make them kind of a douchebag...

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Why cant we all just get along!? :'(

It is fun and good learning when you have conversations about religion, but in the end, their is no point.

Yay, now lets all go for a swim

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Why cant we all just get along!? :'(

Because reveaked religion says we shouldn't unless we're all the same right religion. ;)

It is fun and good learning when you have conversations about religion, but in the end, their is no point.

I know right! I was trying to teach people the specific realms of re-incarnation of buddhism along with the three fires and yama and other stuff, but did anyone listen? Nooooo all they wanna talk about is that guy who married his half sister.... ermm Abraham! Thats the one, they just wanna talk about Abrahamic religion.

And I don't know why they're using 'not all christians are like that' argument when we've already spoke upon the fact 'these' christians are going against their own teachings Its not people I'm against its their beliefs. I've already talked about 'Christians' who don't do that or don't hold everything to be true in the bible as an oxymoron, but people keep bringing this back and making the argument go in circles.

Which is what Abrahamic religious discussions are, going in circles. As the 'good' people of the faith refuse to listen to the idea of realizing they are in this belief system for the good parts but ignore the bad parts, as I always say cut the middleman out and bin the holy scripture altogether and just join a different religion one that doesn't encompass ignorance, hatred or fear as a means to dictate itself or others.

Whats so difficult about realizing these three religions are more evil than good and that it would be easier to just adopt a simpler newer belief system that is more humanistic. You don't need the dogma you don't even need karma you just need to realize you can't be seen by everyone as a good person when you follow a system that is the cause of the majority of war in our history.

What buddhist ever gassed jews? What Agnostic ever burned a witch? What atheist ever persecuted somebody for translating a book? What hindu ever tortured a confession out of someone? Seriously people need to let these bronze age desert religions go and find a belief system that doesn't carry hate in its pouch. I understand when people are these religions because they don't know anything about it but when you do know about it, staying in the religion makes you look like nothing short of a madman.

I'm not trying to insult, these things genuinely make me wonder and fill me with sorrow;Why can't they let go of the religion of hate & hypocrisy and take in a new one that doesn't contain any messages of war, sexism, bigotry etc.

The only rule you need to get by in life is the golden rule and yes Christ mentioned it but as previously stated he also said the old testament is valid, so look at other religions that mention the golden rule they do not threaten you, do not command you, they guide you.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
What buddhist ever gassed jews? What Agnostic ever burned a witch? What atheist ever persecuted somebody for translating a book? What hindu ever tortured a confession out of someone? Seriously people need to let these bronze age desert religions go and find a belief system that doesn't carry hate in its pouch. I understand when people are these religions because they don't know anything about it but when you do know about it, staying in the religion makes you look like nothing short of a madman.

"You have Tibetan monasteries running slave plantations, blood-soaked conquerors riding in from the steppe to rape, pillage, burn, and erect magnificent pagodas, great masters cosying up to feudal lords for protection and funding. You have the Burmese junta spending lavishly on pagodas to buy off the bad karma they've accumulated by torture, oppression, and murder."

http://primejunta.blogspot.com/2009/11/evil-side-of-buddhism.html

Like mangareaders would say: "Off paneled =/= didn't exist."

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
"You have Tibetan monasteries running slave plantations, blood-soaked conquerors riding in from the steppe to rape, pillage, burn, and erect magnificent pagodas, great masters cosying up to feudal lords for protection and funding. You have the Burmese junta spending lavishly on pagodas to buy off the bad karma they've accumulated by torture, oppression, and murder."

http://primejunta.blogspot.com/2009/11/evil-side-of-buddhism.html

Like mangareaders would say: "Off paneled =/= didn't exist."

You really are a lost cause, if thats the only point you saw in my post. In any case I didn't know about that so I thank you for showing me. But my point stands Buddhism doesn't teach to do these things 'slaves' it teaches peace and to not own possessions.

Abrahamic religion promotes slavery. In this article we have evil men who are of a good religion acting against their religion. In Abrahamic religion you have evil men in an evil religion acting evil for their religion, or good men in an evil religion ignoring the evil of the religion this is entirely pointless for the good men they should leave the evil religion and join the good religion.

So with you scurrying off to find a shred of evidence for evil men acting against their good religion and ignoring my entire message I guess I am just wasting my breath on you who wont listen.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
You really are a lost cause, if thats the only point you saw in my post. In any case I didn't know about that so I thank you for showing me. But my point stands Buddhism doesn't teach to do these things 'slaves' it teaches peace and to not own possessions.

Abrahamic religion promotes slavery. In this article we have evil men who are of a good religion acting against their religion. In Abrahamic religion you have evil men in an evil religion acting evil for their religion, or good men in an evil religion ignoring the evil of the religion this is entirely pointless for the good men they should leave the evil religion and join the good religion.

So with you scurrying off to find a shred of evidence for evil men acting against their good religion and ignoring my entire message I guess I am just wasting my breath on you who wont listen.

Everything else has already been talked about so I didn't find it necessary to repeat what myself and Gikoku already pointed out.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Let's not row about it all now though, kk? Religion is one of those things which is a hot topic, sensitive and also no one can 100% prove their case regardless of whichever avenue they are coming from.

BTW - changed my mind. Screw the Raelians. I want to pick another option. Anyone got a good afterlife I can select? Preferably one involving food?

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
BTW - changed my mind. Screw the Raelians. I want to pick another option. Anyone got a good afterlife I can select? Preferably one involving food?

Why, Valhalla of course.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
But I'm teetotal and straight. Anything other than hog roasts for eternity to entertain me?

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
But I'm teetotal and straight. Anything other than hog roasts for eternity to entertain me?

I'm pretty sure there are lots of viking hunks up there for you to have your fill.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there are lots of viking hunks up there for you to have your fill.

What about women, though? I know the king's wife (wives?) were burned with him. But what about the ordinary woman? What happened to them after death?

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Well they'd better be familiar with the concept of soap and water...

...oh, and I just found out today that apparently the coconut has a lot of significance in certain religions. I doubt it is as holy and awesome as my coconut though.

And I think whilst Valhalla is a possibility, I gotta at least check out the whole Universe People thing. Would need some notice before they beam me up to another dimension, though - might have something on the stove...

EDIT: oh wow - anyone checked out Nuwaubianism? I don't know what their afterlife entails but some of their more unusual beliefs are...interesting:

1. It is important to bury the afterbirth so that Satan does not use it to make a duplicate of the recently-born child
2. Furthermore, some aborted fetuses survive their abortion to live in the sewers, where they are being gathered and organized to take over the world
3. People were once perfectly symmetrical and ambidextrous, but then a meteorite struck Earth and tilted its axis causing handedness and shifting the heart off-center in the chest
4. Each of us has seven clones living in different parts of the world
5. Women existed for many generations before they invented men through genetic manipulation
6. Homo sapiens is the result of cloning experiments that were done on Mars using Homo erectus
7. Nikola Tesla came from the planet Venus
8. The Illuminati have nurtured a child, Satan’s son, who was born on 6 June 1966 at the Dakota House on 72nd Street in New York to Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis of the Rothschild/Kennedy families. The Pope was present at the birth and performed necromantic ceremonies. The child was raised by former U.S. president Richard Nixon and now lives in Belgium, where it is hooked up bodily to a computer called “The Beast 3M” or “3666.”

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
What about women, though? I know the king's wife (wives?) were burned with him. But what about the ordinary woman? What happened to them after death?

Probably they went to Hel or something. But this is a my scenario, Sharon can go to Valhalla if she wishes.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I wanna go to Belgium and see the spawn of satan....

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
So - flight or ferry? I'm happy with either and we can get Belgian chocolate whilst we're there :D