• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

If you could choose...

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
What about women, though? I know the king's wife (wives?) were burned with him. But what about the ordinary woman? What happened to them after death?

In Norse mythology anybody that doesn't die in battle goes to Hel or Helheim same place different name. Its ruled by the goddess of the underworld Hel, Loki's daughter.

Its a realm of cold and has various levels the bottom levels of which are the torture areas for the evil or cruel people the top levels are more like purgatory. All souls in Hel will await there until Ragnarök, the end of the world.

Where Loki will bring forth the destruction of the world with the help of Hel and her souls, Fenrir the wolf son of Loki & Jormungardr the world snake, loki's other child.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I would say that the most apt comparison would be with Limbo. Yes, it is sort of a hell, but for your average joe it doesn't involve torture. Just... boredom it seems. Just a cold place for souls to wander without purpose.

That's why when I get old, I'll ask my grandson to wheel my wheelchair into the bear pen at the local zoo.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
So does every religion have a form of afterlife or not? And if so, is there a good and bad option in a similar vein to heaven/hell?

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
So does every religion have a form of afterlife or not? And if so, is there a good and bad option in a similar vein to heaven/hell?

Most if not all have heaven but only some have a 'Hell'

You have to remember in Abrahamic Religions, hell wasn't an original idea it was added in the later centuries from communicating with greeks, romans, hindus & buddhists.

The greek hell is called Hades, The norse Hell is called Hel or Helheim, buddhist hell is a realm of burning or starving ghosts. Christian Hell is a culmination of Egyptian, Greek & Norse myths. Norse's Hel simply for the name, the greek arcadian god Pan's image also has been adopted to be regonised as satan therefore in helping demonize paganism.

Newer religion arising in the 20th-21st century don't have a hell such as Wicca, Satanism, humanism, Scientology(not entirely sure here so don't quote me) Druidism, Pantheism, Deism, Agnosticism, Atheism etc etc.

Also Demons originate from the Greek word Daemon which isn't an evil fallen angel, but a non human spirit which could be any morality like a human, neutral, good, evil or shades of gray. As I previously said Yama the demon and lord of Death is the spinster of the wheel of life in Buddhism but also a deity in Hinduism.

Its a simple matter really all cultures from around the world have had a religion which has become a mythology which include a heaven and hell, the same can be said for marriage every culture has a tradition for marriage yet people stick to the Christian form. Don't know what else to say I don't know many other hell's than Hades, Pluto, Hel, Hell, etc.

Hope I gave you an idea on it all angel.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Most if not all have heaven but only some have a 'Hell'

You have to remember in Abrahamic Religions, hell wasn't an original idea it was added in the later centuries from communicating with greeks, romans, hindus & buddhists.

The greek hell is called Hades, The norse Hell is called Hel or Helheim, buddhist hell is a realm of burning or starving ghosts. Christian Hell is a culmination of Egyptian, Greek & Norse myths. Norse's Hel simply for the name, the greek arcadian god Pan's image also has been adopted to be regonised as satan therefore in helping demonize paganism.

Newer religion arising in the 20th-21st century don't have a hell such as Wicca, Satanism, humanism, Scientology(not entirely sure here so don't quote me) Druidism, Pantheism, Deism, Agnosticism, Atheism etc etc.

Also Demons originate from the Greek word Daemon which isn't an evil fallen angel, but a non human spirit which could be any morality like a human, neutral, good, evil or shades of gray. As I previously said Yama the demon and lord of Death is the spinster of the wheel of life in Buddhism but also a deity in Hinduism.

Its a simple matter really all cultures from around the world have had a religion which has become a mythology which include a heaven and hell, the same can be said for marriage every culture has a tradition for marriage yet people stick to the Christian form. Don't know what else to say I don't know many other hell's than Hades, Pluto, Hel, Hell, etc.

Hope I gave you an idea on it all angel.

It is perhaps interesting to note that Sumerian afterlife was pretty much all Hell. Quite simply, dead people lived on underground between mud and rocks and ate nothing but dust. The place was cold, damp and everything but pleasant. The only thing that brought any joy to this was the food (and other things) sacrificed to the deceased, which they could then eat and feel happy about. More importantly, though, it meant the dead weren't being forgotten.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Thanks Hermit - I just find it very interesting and was curious as to how many other cultures/societies seem to have similar trains of thought when it comes to the afterlife.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
No worries I'd be happy to answer any questions on the subject of religion(To the best of my ability & knowledge) as I love debating faiths and spiritualism whether I agree with particular religions or not.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score

Hinduism and Buddhism both believe in reincarnation instead of an afterlife (e.g going forever to Heaven or Hell), I don't know about other religions.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Hinduism and Buddhism both believe in reincarnation instead of an afterlife (e.g going forever to Heaven or Hell), I don't know about other religions.

Actually you could say Hinduism and Buddhism are the only religions to have an afterlife, so what do they get for an afterlife? More life! Sounds like an afterlife to me, Anywho there is a hell realm in Buddhism that they can be born into or a realm of starving ghosts or their 'heaven' could be considered the realm of the gods, as that is a rebirth of an easy life with nothing but luxury.

Couldn't say anything on Hinduism don't know much about it, but give me time.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
In short, Buddhism does have a hell. It just isn't as permanent as other hells.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Actually you could say Hinduism and Buddhism are the only religions to have an afterlife, so what do they get for an afterlife? More life! Sounds like an afterlife to me, Anywho there is a hell realm in Buddhism that they can be born into or a realm of starving ghosts or their 'heaven' could be considered the realm of the gods, as that is a rebirth of an easy life with nothing but luxury.

Couldn't say anything on Hinduism don't know much about it, but give me time.

It is pretty much the same in Hinduism. After death, the soul is transferred to another plane of existence (there are many of these worlds) where it resides for a while and then gets reincarnated; the soul could also go to many worlds before getting a new material body.
The material world as well as the worlds where souls live between lives are all illusions. For example, if, after death, the soul is transferred to somewhere akin to a "heaven", it is not to reward it for being good before, but to remind that the pleasures in that "heaven realm" are only illusionary and ultimately irrelevant. If one can rid himself of the illusions, he can become one with eternity/God i.e.escaping the Samsara wheel.

Edit: what's interesting is that in Hinduism, the state of a human is considered the best one, since it has suffering in balanced quantities (both in Hinduism and Buddhism, the cycle of rebirth - or existence in general - is considered suffering). Knowing both suffering and pleasure is essential in breaking the illusions of existence and becoming one with Brahman (basically the absolute God). Gods, however, have an existence of eternal well-being; that, however, makes them unable to see that all existence is meaningless and practically makes them unable to join with Brahman.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Reincarnation is a pretty cool guy, but the way things are goin' in my life I'd probably come back as a toilet brush.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Reincarnation is a pretty cool guy, but the way things are goin' in my life I'd probably come back as a toilet brush.

Not necessarily. Your previous lives are also important, as well as the "afterlife". And in case of Hinduism, the state in which you are in on the moment of your death. Also the actions of your children. All souls are essentially pure, just got to clean that karma up - migh be able to do it with a toilet brush, though.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Your previous lives are also important, as well as the "afterlife". And in case of Hinduism, the state in which you are in on the moment of your death. Also the actions of your children. All souls are essentially pure, just got to clean that karma up - migh be able to do it with a toilet brush, though.

That's me - cleaning up other people's poop stains to ascend into a greater existence.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
If we're allowed to reincarnate into objects, I'll aim for becoming a bra. I'll separate and support my way to enlightenment.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
I wanna be re-incarnated as a tube of Vagisil

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
If we're allowed to reincarnate into objects, I'll aim for becoming a bra. I'll separate and support my way to enlightenment.

Oh, I'm wanna be a corset.