• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Kingdoms of Amalur could have future with EA

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
feature-Kingdoms-of-Amalur.jpg
After the closure of 38 Studios who were reported to be working on a Kingdoms of Amalur sequel already it seemed the series was set to end after 1 game. However EA have other ideas for the series and have said they would love to help it continue. EA Labels president Frank Gibeau had the following to say about it:
I think it's unfortunate how everything worked out for 38 Studios. At the end of the day we saw a lot of creativity and vision in the team that Curt [Schilling] put together. We thought the game was terrific. It reviewed well. We built a good business there and hope there's a sequel to it someday. We'd love to be a partner for that.
However EA have apparently passed on a sequel currently and have put it down to executive politics as the IP is now in possession of the US State of Rhode Island, which is currently in the process of reclaiming 38 Studios.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
You have the power, EA. Do it!

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
The reason it did so poorly is that it went up against Skyrim. Going up against such an established franchise was bound to end in failure. Had they waited it would have done better, I think.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The reason it did so poorly is that it went up against Skyrim. Going up against such an established franchise was bound to end in failure. Had they waited it would have done better, I think.

Yeah id agree with you to be honest, it had similarities with Skyrim but there was only one winner there.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
I personally prefer Amalur to Skyrim, though.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I personally prefer Amalur to Skyrim, though.

I thought it showed potential but Skyrim hooked me with its depth and freedom and after 107 hours still got loads to do and finding new things all the time. I havent played a game for that amount of time for a long time.

Reaction score
I've still not bought Amalur but it's on my list, played the demo though and thought it was alright so this is good news.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I still haven't really played The Elder Scrolls, but Kingdoms of Amalur has been just amazing. I seem to love it a lot more than a lot of other people I guess. It rivals Fallout for me even, and I absolutely need a sequel!

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
I got in to KoA then things got repetitive and i lost motivation to play it.
I ended up making a new Skyrim save and played through that and the DLC. Might get back in to KoA...
Ive had the same armor and weps for the longest time, any thing i find is just slightly more useful or just junk. In shops armor is like 200k+ and the most Ive ever had on me was like... 8k.
The main story is kinda interesting, but vague at most times, ill be playing for a good 2 hours and not feel like im getting anywhere.

But...

The world is huge and and beautiful. Ill never forget running through the maze like forests with trees that seemed to have no tops, going through a cave-like passage only to emerge to a huge ass valley with rolling hills and cliffs. Small towns and settlements to dense cites with giant buildings. It was quite the feast for the eyes. The visuals are dripping with Todd McFarlane style witch i love.

Yeah... I dunno. A very meh subject for me.
In the words of one of my favorite ponies: "I just don't know what went wrong"

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
In shops armor is like 200k+ and the most Ive ever had on me was like... 8k.

Seriously? Most of the time, I had so much gold I couldn't even find a way to spend it all. By the end of both my games, when I had reached the max level, I was a multimillionaire. It seemed almost too easy for me. The only time I really had trouble with money was early on during my first playthrough when I was still getting a feel for how the game worked.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
Seriously? Most of the time, I had so much gold I couldn't even find a way to spend it all. By the end of both my games, when I had reached the max level, I was a multimillionaire. It seemed almost too easy for me. The only time I really had trouble with money was early on during my first playthrough when I was still getting a feel for how the game worked.
how the ****? what are you doing to earn all the cash??
Give me some?

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
The best armor is what you craft yourself, though.
Generally, I had the same thing with equipment. I'm still using lvl 10 gloves bc newer ones ain't that good.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
how the f***? what are you doing to earn all the cash??
Give me some?

It was all just from selling loot I acquired doing mostly faction quests and story quests. I'd give you millions if I could.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
Bought this the other day, still amazed of how "Fabley" it feels. Liking it quite a bit, alas customization could have quite a bit f work. I'd definitely play the MMO it was meant to, umm, be a prequel of. Have you guys seen the trailer for it? You were gonna be able to be one of those huge monsters you fight in Reckoning..

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I'd definitely play the MMO it was meant to, umm, be a prequel of. Have you guys seen the trailer for it? You were gonna be able to be one of those huge monsters you fight in Reckoning..

Strange, I hadn't heard about this until now. On one hand, it sucks that a second Kingdoms game was cancelled, but on the other hand, it opens up the way for another Kingdoms game that isn't an MMO, which is good for me since I don't plat MMOs. Which huge monster were you talking about though? The Balor? Tirnoch? Speaking of the Balor, I found this picture when looking up the Kingdoms MMO. I just thought the Balor's skull was a really cool thing that they were going to put into the game. One can assume those are also the walls of Mel Senshir.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Which huge monster were you talking about though?

I think he was talking about the Jottun. Which makes me laugh. How on earth would you differentiate between genders?

I hope KOA makes a return to the gaming scheme - I enjoyed exploring a world I'd never been in before. Though I agree with what others have posted, they shouldn't have released it so close to Skyrim. I think they were over-confident and in the end a great game suffered. And that makes Queenie sad. :(

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
Strange, I hadn't heard about this until now. On one hand, it sucks that a second Kingdoms game was cancelled, but on the other hand, it opens up the way for another Kingdoms game that isn't an MMO, which is good for me since I don't plat MMOs. Which huge monster were you talking about though? The Balor? Tirnoch? Speaking of the Balor, I found this picture when looking up the Kingdoms MMO. I just thought the Balor's skull was a really cool thing that they were going to put into the game. One can assume those are also the walls of Mel Senshir.
It amkes me sad that I've no idea what you're talking about :(
I think he was talking about the Jottun. Which makes me laugh. How on earth would you differentiate between genders?

I hope KOA makes a return to the gaming scheme - I enjoyed exploring a world I'd never been in before. Though I agree with what others have posted, they shouldn't have released it so close to Skyrim. I think they were over-confident and in the end a great game suffered. And that makes Queenie sad. :(
Indeed!

Reaction score
Future with EA? Sounds ****** to me. Have fun with forced DRMs and marketing. If that's what will happen then Kingdoms of Amalur will be lame - Just because of EA's executives and management.

Aye, teaming up with with EA is like the video game equivalent of selling your soul. You get a publicity rise thanks to their extensive marketing campaigns and just when everything is looking good they step in an say 'we would like to do this, this and that to your game, tough s*** if you or the fans don't like it because we own you and your project now mwhahaha!' Then it hits them that they've sold themselves out like whores and there's nothing they can do about it, much to the woe of their studio and the loyal fans that made them. No wonder EA was voted the most hated company in America.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Hating on EA is old news, people.
"Mass Effect is totally AWESOME! BioWare rocks!"
"Mass Effect 3 ending was ****! **** you EA!"

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Aye, teaming up with with EA is like the video game equivalent of selling your soul. You get a publicity rise thanks to their extensive marketing campaigns and just when everything is looking good they step in an say 'we would like to do this, this and that to your game, tough s*** if you or the fans don't like it because we own you and your project now mwhahaha!' Then it hits them that they've sold themselves out like whores and there's nothing they can do about it, much to the woe of their studio and the loyal fans that made them. No wonder EA was voted the most hated company in America.

EA is nowhere near as awful as they used to be, seriously it could be a lot worse... like.. Activision worse.