• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Should I be worried?

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
About a week or two ago, I turned on my 360. All of a sudden, it flashed the red ring of death, only it wasn't quite the same. Instead of three quarters of the circle around the power button turning red, only half of it turned red. I have my Xbox laying horizontally, and it was the left half that turned red. I hit the power button numerous times. Nothing happened, so I unplugged it. The same thing happened again just now, except it happened twice in a row. The third time I tried turning it on, it worked just fine. So, the question still stands. Should I be worried?

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Well, let me Google that for you.
Hm, apparently, the very first link that shows up means that a half ring means your XBox is overheated. Letting it cool down before starting helps out.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Luckily for you, it is just a warning. Had you been playing for a long time when it happened? As mentioned, it was overheating. If you hadn't been playing for a long time, it might be smart to check that you don't keep it in too cramped a place such as a TV table or something.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
So, the question still stands. Should I be worried?

Don't think so, I've had the same issue several times before and it turned out to be the Power Brick error, the error mimics the RROD until you reposition it.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
I got an excellent idea! What is a common problem for gamers? The fridge. When they want something cool, they have to stand up, then walk and open the fridge to get something. And then they have to go back, aaaall the way. (Shut up, reasonable people, that don't mind walking!) Solution two both problems? Drag your minifridge to the tv, and put your XBox on top of it!

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

Excuse me for wanting opinions from people I know and trust. :lol:

Had you been playing for a long time when it happened?

No. It just happens when I first turn it on.

If you hadn't been playing for a long time, it might be smart to check that you don't keep it in too cramped a place such as a TV table or something.

I don't have a TV table. It's just next to my TV on top of my dresser.

Don't think so, I've had the same issue several times before and it turned out to be the Power Brick error, the error mimics the RROD until you reposition it.

There's a good chance this will sound really stupid, but...what's a power brick? I can be a little technologically retarded sometimes.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
^Hey! I have one of those! :D

EDIT: I don't really have a place to reposition the power brick to though.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
Do you dust your console? And Or the power Brick? Cause every time I have a can of Duster, I blow that bitch clean. (that's what she said) :D

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
^Hey! I have one of those! :D

EDIT: I don't really have a place to reposition the power brick to though.

Well, as long as you have it lying flat down on a solid surface with some room to breathe you should be fine, and as Sephi mentioned: Keep It Clean.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I'll try dusting it too. It's working alright now though. I just hope it stays this way.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
I NEED duster, It's my favorite for Every electronic I have. It's been keeping my computer alive. I even need it right now..:O

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Well, as long as you have it lying flat down on a solid surface with some room to breathe you should be fine, and as Sephi mentioned: Keep It Clean.

Ninja'd :steve:

Well, this has been my setup since I bought my Xbox:

img1341wv.jpg

It seems alright to me. The power brick is behind the TV though. I'm not sure where else to put it.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Don't know how much space is behind the 360 from this angle, but I wouldn't sit my controllers on top of the 360 like that, at least not on the vents anyway.

I currently have my 360 standing up and never had any overheating issues, can try that since space is a clear issue for you.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Don't know how much space is behind the 360 from this angle, but I wouldn't sit my controllers on top of the 360 like that, at least not on the vents anyway.

Aye, check that. The 360 exhaust hot air at the back, so when close to a wall like in this picture the back of the 360 can get really hot.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure why I never thought of moving the controllers. I'll try that though. I also dusted it off just now.

You can see the space behind it here:

img1342v.jpg

I used a flashlight so the picture wouldn't be so dark.

I also don't really want to move it into a vertical position. It's partially because I'm afraid of it falling over, even if that's highly improbable, and partially because one of the two biggest vents is on the side I'd be putting it on, and I wouldn't want to cover that if I'm having overheating issues.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Space looks good enough, but I also see you have some space available behind the dresser. I'd suggest pushing some of the cords down that space you have to allow for a bit of better airflow for the back vents.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The power brick needs space to breathe too as they can get very hot and the heat from your TV will be adding to the issue. Mine was set up in a similair way in my old room with the power brick behind my PC monitor and it ended up overheating after 3 years.