• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Whats YOUR opinion..

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Recently I have been a bit naughty and decided to download music and movies off
the coast of Spain
, Reason why I used spoilers is because I "think" its against the rules to advertise these sorts of websites, but I could be wrong..nah, you're right. Hence the edit ;)

But Anyway, to my point, What is your opinion on the whole downloading music, movies, games, etc, etc, off the internet? (illegally.)

Reaction score
Don't do it myself, but it's not like I'd crucify someone else for doing so. Never bothered me.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
i think it should be at the discretion of the artist who made it (NOT the record company who produced it).

if an artist doesn't believe in promoting themselves through free circulation of material and would rather make money off of every medium they can, then i can respect that. i can respect that because that's exactly the type of money grubbing person i wouldn't want my money to go into supporting.

if their music is good, the money will go into concert tickets. the worlds shifted and now people won't pay for an album without listening to it several times through first. i think record companies should be phased out and musicians should speak for themselves in a freely-circulating world of "orrentshmays". a bands success relying on how they compare to others and not how much advertising and radio time they get.

tl;dr i'm a republican when it comes to the music market.

i site this video to my argument: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioyqmeVszis
they made record setting profits releasing their album digitally on their website and inviting people to pay what they wanted for it.

movies, though, there's no justifying that. if you get caught pirating movies (unless it's unattainable in your country) you're plain and simple robbing of profits. you can't go see the cast of the latest blockbuster live and pay for a ticket that way.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
I see, I see, Its not that great of a big deal anyway, I just dont like ****ting on people who dont deserve to be ****ted on, if you get what I mean?

Oh and Welcome back Lo! (Yeah I jus gave you that nickname, what're you guna do about it!)

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Illegal downloads are wrong. I'm dead against it. It takes money away from those who have legitimately earned it and means costs for those who actually do pay for films, music, games etc have to increase to cover the losses made. People moan about how expensive CDs, games and films are - well, it's largely the fault of the pirate for distributing stuff without permission or payment.

A music artist, for example, does not necessarily get a bajillion moneez for making a great CD - their record company, manager, bloke on the bus next to them take a hefty cut. Particularly if they don't own the rights to the song but the label does. Lots of legit sites like Amazon will let you sample tracks before you buy if you're not sure about an album so I really don't see why it's necessary to pirate.

Some bands release free stuff anyway or let you download things without penalty. Those who don't, respect that. Entertainment media is part of our economy after all and they need to make money in order to produce more of what people want. I know some actors make silly money and I know some gaming developers drive around in stupidly expensive cars and say things like "well, I'll bump up the price because they'll pay for it" - but not everyone in the industry is making a fortune.

Hell, nobody decent behaves this way with other things like restaurant food, clothing, supermarket produce, cars etc - if they did, they'd rightfully be punished for it. I don't understand really why within the entertainment industry it's seen as almost acceptable by many to steal.

Shirosaki

The Hollow Within
Reaction score
I don't have a job right now so I download music and then buy the albums at a later date. That's all right, isn't it?

Reaction score
I just usually use youtube to listen to any songs I fancy to be honest, I've never been into i pods or anything like that.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Illegal downloads are wrong. I'm dead against it. It takes money away from those who have legitimately earned it and means costs for those who actually do pay for films, music, games etc have to increase to cover the losses made. People moan about how expensive CDs, games and films are - well, it's largely the fault of the pirate for distributing stuff without permission or payment.

A music artist, for example, does not necessarily get a bajillion moneez for making a great CD - their record company, manager, bloke on the bus next to them take a hefty cut. Particularly if they don't own the rights to the song but the label does. Lots of legit sites like Amazon will let you sample tracks before you buy if you're not sure about an album so I really don't see why it's necessary to pirate.

Some bands release free stuff anyway or let you download things without penalty. Those who don't, respect that. Entertainment media is part of our economy after all and they need to make money in order to produce more of what people want. I know some actors make silly money and I know some gaming developers drive around in stupidly expensive cars and say things like "well, I'll bump up the price because they'll pay for it" - but not everyone in the industry is making a fortune.

Hell, nobody decent behaves this way with other things like restaurant food, clothing, supermarket produce, cars etc - if they did, they'd rightfully be punished for it. I don't understand really why within the entertainment industry it's seen as almost acceptable by many to steal.

Yeah I like the last paragraph the most, its so true.. But I guess its because theres so many of us who do it, that they wouldnt be able to stop it? Probably could actually but hey, I dont know **** about all that..

Dont hate me Sharon! (I think thats ya name.. Hah!)

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I used to do it. Mainly because it was convenient, I don't really care about it being free. You'll get all the .mp3's in a neat little folder. My only other option would've been buying the physical CD at a record store and then rip it; such a hassle! However, with my iPhone I got acquainted with iTunes and now I try to get most of the stuff there.

Sadly, there is so much music which I would have no idea where to get it other than pirating it.

EDIT: Another thing: T.V series. This is a whole different matter. I wholly support the pirating of T.V series! Because unless you live in the U.S you're screwed; you don't get to watch the latest episode of a T.V series here in Sweden unless it has been out for like a month(even longer at times) in the U.S. So they have nobody else to blame than that stupid "rule". Why should I wait for the new episode to air when I could just get it off the web a few days after it's been out in the U.S?

Bollocks. The new Futurama episodes we will probably get a few years from now. Poppycock!

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
to further my argument, pirating isn't everything. lately i've been going through and buying the physical albums of the ones i enjoy. originally it was because i love the albums, want to support said artist for being so liberal with their music, and want to have the physical object on a shelf. if i ever get caught, it'll reduce my fines by thousands of dollars - so there's also that.

point being i'm not going out and buying all the albums i downloaded because i listened to some of them and realized plain and simple that they suck. i couldn't have reached this realization from iTunes or amazon track samplers either. the way i see it, it's like returning a product without having to put up with the clerks raised eyebrows, remembering which card you bought it with, or having to leave the comfort of your home. not to mention that there is no such thing as being able to return a digital purchase. a major inconvenience.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
EDIT: Another thing: T.V series. This is a whole different matter. I wholly support the pirating of T.V series! Because unless you live in the U.S you're screwed; you don't get to watch the latest episode of a T.V series here in Sweden unless it has been out for like a month(even longer at times) in the U.S. So they have nobody else to blame than that stupid "rule". Why should I wait for the new episode to air when I could just get it off the web a few days after it's been out in the U.S?

Bollocks. The new Futurama episodes we will probably get a few years from now. Poppycock!

Im the same, i have TV and a TV licence and a Sky+ Subscription which i pay for so could watch all the shows and i could record them all and watch them in living room but i prefer to watch them online while im doing other things as i can minimise them to a window but still post on forums while watching them. Plus why should i wait when its been aired in US already and usually we have to wait months. So technically im doing all i should do to pay for them but watching them in another way & is no different to watching something on the iPlayer or 4OD.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
I don't bother with illegal downloads. I have Spotify anyway.

LobotomizedLOVE

Pistol Fiend
Reaction score
There are far more exciting illegal things around for us to do, I don't see why people make a big deal about music. In fact I like to listen to my illegal music whilst doing other illegal yet satisfying activities. Of course all while wearing illegal furs of endangered creatures and simultaneously jay-walking and smoking a crack pipe. Legality is in the eye of the beholder. Or...law-breaker, in this instance.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
I don't mind it, but then I like to think I'm modern and altruistic.

In a few years, all music will be free anyway. It's not like the record companies can stop it, so they'll have to accept it, and all get new jobs.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score
I do for music, and only for games if I want a sort of "extended" demo, but never indie games. I can't do it for indie games. Just a no-no.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Skipping all other posts:

I used to pirate movies a lot, I stopped, but later on I plan on doing it again, once I get a crappy computer I wouldn't mind getting destroyed by a virus. Music I download often, but then I buy the albums afterwards.

Lucky Strike

Reaction score
So.. I read the posts. Well.. what do you do if you want just one song and don't have an itunes acc?? (you may not want to buy with a credit card) and don't forget that maaaany albums are ooooooverpriced.. plus i may want to listend some songs now but i know that in 2 months i 'll never listen to it again..

i will almost never download a film.. unless i can't find it anywhere or it'sextremelly overprised (much more than usual) fr no reason.. i rent them out :p

and well.. series.. first of all i cannot wait a gazillion months so i can buy the dvd.. secondly i don't want to see them again and many of them are not for a second time due to their nature... thirdly i can't wait if and when they will be at my country and i can't close my day like that!

in overall i'm all for music and series but not films.

(and xbox games that even if it's possible or not (dunno in all honesty) i will not do it...)

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
I have met many people that take illegal downloading from an extreme to another. I believe you should download when you can't buy it, or something that you can't find normally perhaps something illegal too. (excluding some underage stuff, that's... sick)

That's the good thing about downloading, the freedom and the sharing. However, if you want to buy a game, move yourself to a store and pay for it. Otherwise, don't buy it and bare with it. We live in a consumistic market and whatnot but if you can't afford a video game then you shouldn't download it, it's pointless.

Think about expensive software? Even though I might be opening a greater subject than this one, many software is way too expensive, where I think that Windows and a full year license of an antivirus costs way less than a single program.

Illegal downloading is good, it makes the world to move. The problem is whenever people try to make some profit off it. Get a real job you douchebag. (read this paragraph with a rap beat and rhythm)

However, downloading shouldn't replace the purchase of retail goods. If you like an album, movie, game or book then you should go and buy it. Think of that as if you were someone that sells shoes, you wouldn't be happy if all the people came in your store tried shoes and nobody would buy them. Not a good feeling, huh?

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
@ LuckyStrike - many sites now offer a download service outside of iTunes. Amazon is one, Play is another - you can buy the single tracks you like or the whole album. It's also cheaper than buying the physical CD most of the time. I just bought an album which is only available as an import from the US via Amazon MP3 Downloader (which is free and very quick to download - no endless updates and extra crap like iTunes) for less than half the price of the CD itself which would have been very expensive.

I think more companies are aware of the digital age, as it were, and offer alternatives to having to buy a physical product when a digital one not only makes it cheaper for the consumer but also those making and distributing them in the first place. iTunes no longer dominates the market as it once did.