• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Whats YOUR opinion..

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
The point is, ladies and gentleman, that illegal downloading, for lack of a better word, is good. Illegal downloading is right, illegal downloading works. Illegal downloading clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Illegal downloading, in all of its forms; illegal downloading for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And illegal downloading, you mark my words, will not only save the music industry, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
@ Arseface: It will save the music industry? I was led to believe illegal downloading = stealing from the artist. Now, I don't immediatly disagree with you, but I'd like to know why it saves the music industry.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Correction: stealing from the record company.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Correction: stealing from the record company.

So, illegal downloading is stealing from only the record company? To me, that implies that the artist doesn't get any money, at all, even if the music was bought legal. Am I missing something, here? I thought that buying music from artist-x should earn artist-x money and doing that illegaly would mean artist-x (and record company) doesn't get deserved money.
WHOA, so what's going on? o_O

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Artists rarely get paid by album-to-album basis these days.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score
@ LuckyStrike - many sites now offer a download service outside of iTunes. Amazon is one, Play is another - you can buy the single tracks you like or the whole album. It's also cheaper than buying the physical CD most of the time. I just bought an album which is only available as an import from the US via Amazon MP3 Downloader (which is free and very quick to download - no endless updates and extra crap like iTunes) for less than half the price of the CD itself which would have been very expensive.

I think more companies are aware of the digital age, as it were, and offer alternatives to having to buy a physical product when a digital one not only makes it cheaper for the consumer but also those making and distributing them in the first place. iTunes no longer dominates the market as it once did.
Try finding CD's I like here without a huge shipping fee due to being sent from half way across the world. You could easily end up paying £25 for a CD, and like £40 for one bloody vinyl. I'd use Amazon or other places but absolutely none of them offer a lossless service, and if I pay for music, I want the product they released - not lossy versions of them.

This is why I wish artists used www.bandcamp.com more because you can choose the damn codec to download with and stream the whole album on the page itself. It's incredibly useful. Also, all the money goes to the band, not the damn label.

Also I'm all for illegal downloads of music if you consider buying something if you like it, which I do. Or at the very least, donate to bands when you can't afford their CD due to outrageous shipping costs (again, which I do very often). You can cry "it's stealing" all you like, but you can copy over files over and over and over again, and it won't cost you anything - so millions of people downloading still only really acquaints to 1 person downloading it in terms of cost for the manufacturers. Which is what the majority of the cost for a CD should be anyway. A general CD is about a tenner nowadays, do you really think it costs even quarter of that to make? They could get away with selling CD's a lot cheaper than they do.

I understand with the bands I like due to, again, outrageous shipping costs - in which I have no issue with downloading a lossless version of it (from a source I won't mention ;)) and just donating a fiver to the band. Not once did they ever complain at that, in fact, they were thrilled to see someone was actually listening to their music and willing to contribute in a way that goes directly to the band rather than to their record label. In a way, buying CD's actually funds what I hate about music if I buy from a mainstream record label, so I never contribute to major record labels.

It's a bit of a tl;dr but if you're interested in the subject I suggest you read this. It's a good and in-depth view on my standpoint on "illegal downloads".

Lucky Strike

Reaction score
@ LuckyStrike - many sites now offer a download service outside of iTunes. Amazon is one, Play is another - you can buy the single tracks you like or the whole album. It's also cheaper than buying the physical CD most of the time. I just bought an album which is only available as an import from the US via Amazon MP3 Downloader (which is free and very quick to download - no endless updates and extra crap like iTunes) for less than half the price of the CD itself which would have been very expensive.

I think more companies are aware of the digital age, as it were, and offer alternatives to having to buy a physical product when a digital one not only makes it cheaper for the consumer but also those making and distributing them in the first place. iTunes no longer dominates the market as it once did.

yes, but you still need a credit card for that.. the point is what do you do if you don't have/want to use a credit card

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
yes, but you still need a credit card for that.. the point is what do you do if you don't have/want to use a credit card

Well, if you don't have one, you can get one. If you don't want to use one, you essentially don't want to pay. Or am I seeing it wrong, again...

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I can only speak for UK but I have never owned a credit card in my life (I couldn't get one even if I wanted to - my credit rating is too good) - I have my bank card which is standard issue to anyone with an account over the age of 11 and it becomes usable online and in shops from the age of approx 14-16 depending on your bank. A bank card only lets you spend what you physically have in your account - plus a lot of places are now also allowing PayPal as a payment because not everyone has or wants to use their card online. There is also something that Mastercard do now which is essentially a credit card you top up - it's recognised as a credit card by vendors but you can only spend what you have put on it in the first place. It's pretty safe, not registered to any accounts or personal data like a bank card and you just top up like a mobile phone as and when you need to. No charges, no fees.

And if you have a card but don't want to use it - why would you be shopping online in the first place? If you don't want to pay for something then you don't want it that bad. If you CAN'T pay for something then common sense and, to a degree, decency would say wait until you can rather than stealing. Some people are dressing it up in lots of fancy ways but the bottom line is: piracy is stealing. I really don't get what's so hard to understand about that.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
^ it's 18 here i think to get a debit card. when i first got mine it was a bit dicey because they would tack a 20-30 dollar fee for an overdraft, i have obama to thank that they can't get away with it anymore. now if i'm trying to spend more than i have, the transaction just gets declined. better that then to go check my balance a few days down the road only to find i owe $80.

remember this one time where i was a cent short for a terminal fee (used an ATM for a bank i didn't belong to) and i owed somewhere around $300. i called and yelled at them enough about how they're degenerates praying on a starving college student and they set it right. oh god i'm going off on another tangent. NOOOOOOO

before i ramble anymore, why don't you just buy an itunes gift card with your cash and buy digitally that way?

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
We have three major types of Debit card here: Vias Delta/Debit, Maestro and Solo. Solo is the one they hand out to the young people because they don't accept it absolutely everywhere but a Maestro is usually reserved for those with an income over a certain amount. I have Visa Delta because I'm poor :lol:

Unauthorised overdrafts cause no end of trouble for us Brits - they've been fixing their rules about it because people were getting stung for £30 just by being 10p overdrawn. Now if I'm over by less than £10 I pay nothing so long as I repay it within 24 hours. Steve is my overdraft if I get stuck...

Gift cards, digital gift vouchers...yeah, they're all good alternatives to using credit cards online. Or why not give someone who doesn't mind using their card online the cash so they can buy you what you want? That's what most people do if they don't own a card or don't want to use it.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score
piracy is stealing. I really don't get what's so hard to understand about that.
Apart from the fact you're not actually getting the product that they're selling, and we're 'stealing' in a way that doesn't give the company any kind of loss whatsoever.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Technically they lose out on a potential profit, I suppose.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score
Technically they lose out on a potential profit, I suppose.
I guess that's true but files cost nothing to manufacture so they can't really say people pirating their stuff is causing them any real loss whatsoever. Some people compare piracy to a drive by robbery and I think that's utterly ridiculous.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Yeah it is quite stupid. I watched some advert where they said stuff like "You wouldn't steal a car." and various other crimes and compared it to pirating. As you say, utterly ridiculous.

You're not really stealing anything, you're just getting something for free which they want to charge you for and that really gets their knickers in a bunch. It is not like you hack into their databank and rip the files from there.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score
Yeah it is quite stupid. I watched some advert where they said stuff like "You wouldn't steal a car." and various other crimes and compared it to pirating. As you say, utterly ridiculous.

You're not really stealing anything, you're just getting something for free which they want to charge you for and that really gets their knickers in a bunch. It is not like you hack into their databank and rip the files from there.
The weird thing is we're not even 'stealing' what they're selling. They're selling a CD. We're getting renditions of the files on the CD itself that cost absolutely nothing to manufacture.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Yeah, but it costs money to record the recordings. Renting studio time, advances for the artists, etc.

It's not like the CD manufacture is the only cost.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score
Yeah, but it costs money to record the recordings. Renting studio time, advances for the artists, etc.

It's not like the CD manufacture is the only cost.
I'm not stupid. I'm talking about the files themselves. Most of the time those costs are covered by the record label anyway, so what exactly are you stealing from the band?